Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2011, 21:47   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio 4WD

Got my Scorpio Black colour 4x4 VLX, M Hawk on Wednesday. The vehicle is awesome. Loaded with gizmos, tyretronics and Micro Hybrid being stuff that was not even on my Landcruiser 100 VXR 4700 V8.

I tried this Micro Hybrid stuff today, it stopped the engine when I shifted to nuetral at a traffic light in Gurgaon, but on two ocassions it failed to start back on depressing the clutch. Also one of the keyless entry remotes stopped working on day one. So much for the gizmos, an American special with Dodge Durrango or Chevvy trailblazer / Ford Explorer class of failures. Why dont Mahindra make vehicles like the Japs do, brand new out of showroom failures are extemely rare in Toyota, Pajero, Nissan, even Suzuki Grand Vitara XL 7 and all other 4x4 vehicles, say ISUZU Trooper even a new Wrangler TJ was not always trouble free out of the showroom.

Will show it to the dealership sterling motors, but I dont care about this Micro Hybrid business in any case, on a traffic signal, A/C is running, music might be playing, Blackberry is synchronised with the audio system, you don't really keep shutting off Diesel engines just like that, for that matter for the above reasons I have never switched off Petrol engines as well for last 20 years, except when I used to drive the Premier Padmini, non A/C with windows rolled down and of course the CJ3B.
Old 16th February 2011, 22:51   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Got my Scorpio Black colour 4x4 VLX, M Hawk on Wednesday. The vehicle is awesome. Loaded with gizmos, tyretronics and Micro Hybrid being stuff that was not even on my Landcruiser 100 VXR 4700 V8.

I tried this Micro Hybrid stuff today, it stopped the engine when I shifted to nuetral at a traffic light in Gurgaon, but on two ocassions it failed to start back on depressing the clutch. Also one of the keyless entry remotes stopped working on day one. So much for the gizmos, an American special with Dodge Durrango or Chevvy trailblazer / Ford Explorer class of failures. Why dont Mahindra make vehicles like the Japs do, brand new out of showroom failures are extemely rare in Toyota, Pajero, Nissan, even Suzuki Grand Vitara XL 7 and all other 4x4 vehicles, say ISUZU Trooper even a new Wrangler TJ was not always trouble free out of the showroom.

Will show it to the dealership sterling motors, but I dont care about this Micro Hybrid business in any case, on a traffic signal, A/C is running, music might be playing, Blackberry is synchronised with the audio system, you don't really keep shutting off Diesel engines just like that, for that matter for the above reasons I have never switched off Petrol engines as well for last 20 years, except when I used to drive the Premier Padmini, non A/C with windows rolled down and of course the CJ3B.
Sorry to know of the microhybrid failure. Do get it checked. I have had no problems so far. When the microhybrid turns off the engine, the music, the bluetooth connectivity and the blower do not turn off. Not even the headlights. It does switch off the compressor though.
Old 17th February 2011, 11:07   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I tried this Micro Hybrid stuff today, it stopped the engine when I shifted to nuetral at a traffic light in Gurgaon, but on two ocassions it failed to start back on depressing the clutch.
The MicroHybrid sensor switch connected to the clutch pedal needs changing. A ten-minute job.
Old 9th June 2012, 12:02   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

A 4WD Scorpio doing cab duty ..

Mahindra Scorpio 4WD-4wdcab.jpg
Old 4th August 2013, 17:24   #155
BHPian

I have been using one since 2007 and it has given me great service .
But the biggest problem I am facing is when ignorant drivers who use my car or the service guys at mahindra engage the 4 wd switch without following the correct procedure and jam the system .
This has happened quite often and am contemplating making a cover for the switch with a lock to stop idiots from touching it .
The other option is to remove the plug from the control box under the drivers seat so that the switch will not function .
I wish mahindra gives a safety switch to stop the 4 wd from working unless it is switched on .
This issue has cost me a lot of time and effort ,and of course money just because a curios mechanic at mahindra wants to fool around with any switch in sight without the training to do so .
Last time my car went to the service centre for a ecu issue , it has come back with a jammed motor .
I also am unhappy about the fact that whenever my car comes back from the garage I get a call from the company asking about my satisfaction on the job , if my anwer is negative they don't bother to follow up as to why I am dissatisfied .
Something is very wrong going on in mahindra and the quality of service is deplorable , I can say so because I am a mechanic myself .
My car has been going for service to mahindra s since I bought it and now is the time to stop and go to a private garage .
If you mahindra guys are reading this , have the guts to comment on your lousy service record .
magneto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2013, 10:30   #156
Senior - BHPian

Strange things related to unrelaibility keep happening with Mahindra Vehicles.

After almost a week I decided to drive my Scorpio 4WD VLX. The previous night it had rained heavily, there was a bit of water, about 3 to 4 inches deep to wade for about 0.8 KM.

Next morning I found a piece of rectangular foam dangling from the front of the engine bay. No idea where it came from ?

A few days later, Saturday, Aug 24 I decided to drive it down to the shooting range. I had barely come out of the underground basement parking and out of the gate of my building when there was a loud cracking sound as if a bottle has burst under one of the wheels and the car lowered towards the left.

I got down and a four inch bolt with some attachments had come off the car.

I parked the car in and went to the Mahindra service centre, They said this is the Central Balance bolt which comes in 4x4 Scorpios and Thar. It is a new approved service centre about six months old called R R Auto in Gurgaon.

They said they have never experienced such a thing till date.

A new central bolt was ordered. On Monday, Aug 26 they said it will take over a week about 7 to 8 days to arrive from Nasik. They will fixi t at my home itself which is 7 KM from their facility and then they will re align my wheels at their facility.

Lets see what happens.

Dhabhar Bhai, what is this breakdown, is it a common failure ?
Old 29th August 2013, 13:41   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There was a loud cracking sound as if a bottle has burst under one of the wheels and the car lowered towards the left. A four inch bolt with some attachments had come off the car. Dhabhar Bhai, what is this breakdown, is it a common failure?
Dear Shahidbhai - as you have mentioned cracking sound, LH side torsion bar would have broken, go below the vehicle and see. It is unlikely that the bolt fell off, but if it did, then the threads would have stripped and corresponding nut (which has a profile) will also need to be replaced. Photographs will help me to analyse, please send. It is not a simple correction that can be done in your residence. If it is indeed torsion bar, it has a light interference fit in the lower control arm. Check cross member for damage. After replacing required parts, ride height will need to be reset to specification without vehicle load on the front suspension before conducting suspension geometry otherwise the vehicle will not handle properly.

God is kind to mere mortals like us, so best of luck! Otherwise, it's back to the sages of "excel files and power point presentations" to help! Ooh, I'm lovin' it! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 29th August 2013 at 13:42.
Old 29th August 2013, 14:29   #158
Senior - BHPian

Sir,

The Mahindra Service centre had sent a mechanic with me on Saturday itself. The Service Manager is from Patna and known to me personally.

The Mechanic got under the vehicle and pronounced the torsion bar, lower arm and cross member as OK.

It was the bolt and a hammer head like cylindrical part attached to it. This was recovered on the road by a tailor sitting there. Will send you pictures, presently the bolt is with the Mahindra people.

But you are right of course I need to get under the Scorpio and inspect the details myself.

Last edited by desertfox : 29th August 2013 at 14:30.
Old 1st September 2013, 19:01   #159
BHPian

I sent my car to milestone mahindra service and they detected that a clutch switch was missing , resulting the four wheel low setting not engaging as the signal from the clutch is necessary to engage to low four wheel.
I car was engaging in four wheel high with the switch missing .
Now the question arises where did the switch disappear ? , well it was the NBS company owned service centre to whomever the car had gone earlier for work who are responsible for this shoddy work , as they returned the car without solving the problem .
Please think twice before going to NBS as they are incompetent .
Old 5th September 2013, 20:45   #160
Senior - BHPian

Dhabar Bhai,
Here are some pics and exploded view of the broken part in my Scorpio 4WD VLX mHawk
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio 4WD-download-1.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio 4WD-download.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio 4WD-download-1.jpg  

Old 9th September 2013, 13:37   #161
Senior - BHPian

Done. The part ( centre balance bolt ) illustrated above finally arrived on Thursday Sep 3 from Nasik. Next the the Mahindra Mobile service van ( A Bolero actually ) came and fixed it up in 15 minutes, next I drove the vehicle to the ASC and in two trials the alignment was done. Time taken about 1 hour.

These guys at RR Auto Gurgaon are good. Much more professional and competent than the Sterling Motors own service centre.

Reson for this part breaking - still unknown.
Old 30th June 2014, 13:44   #162
Senior - BHPian

Driving this car in the mountains sure gives a lot of pleasure.
In the mountain trails of Kaladhungi, Mangli, Ramgarh in Nainital area this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio 4WD-dsc_0134.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio 4WD-dsc_0302.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio 4WD-dsc_0309.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio 4WD-dsc_0355.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio 4WD-dsc_0352.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio 4WD-dsc_0343.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio 4WD-dsc_0329.jpg  

desertfox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2017, 20:56   #163
Team-BHP Support

Can any of you give me nos on the approach angle of the old Scorpio and the new one? To me, it appears that the new one has better approach angle, but till we don't have the exact angle, one can't be sure.

Thanks
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2017, 22:18   #164
Senior - BHPian

I have been considering buying a Scorpio. Since it is not built to be an off-roader and I would not buy it to use it such, the only thing I would do is eye-ball the front end. The Maruti S-Cross, for example, has a large overhanging front end and even if it was offered in AWD I would not consider it. I don't need the exact figures to rule it out.

I have driven a 2017 Scorpio. It handled very well and had sufficient power on the flats and on mild hills. But I am wondering if it will get up REAL hills, e.g. Rohtang Pass and the deep Himalayas. Acceptable performance to me means going up Rohtang in second gear and higher. Previous posts by 4x4addict and Ringo have turned me off from the Scorpio. But I am not seeing too many acceptable alternatives out there....lack of parts and service
have dissuaded me from Force, Renault, and a couple others. Isuzu does not even have a dealer in all of Himachal Pradesh as of this writing, else I would consider a V-cross.

I am wondering if I can "harden" this vehicle by adding welded plates and extra cross members to the frame...maybe some skid plates, too.

Still in the back of my mind is the fact that, in almost every mild public off road excursion, Scorpio 4X4 systems fail to work or break. What's up with that?

I am wondering if somebody sells an aggressive looking steel front and rear bumper package that REPLACES and bolsters the KKrrappy plastic clad stock bumpers on the Scorpio?

Last edited by DirtyDan : 26th August 2017 at 22:21.
Old 27th August 2017, 11:07   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I have been considering buying a Scorpio. .......

I have driven a 2017 Scorpio. It handled very well and had sufficient power on the flats and on mild hills. But I am wondering if it will get up REAL hills, e.g. Rohtang Pass and the deep Himalayas. Acceptable performance to me means going up Rohtang in second gear and higher. Previous posts by 4x4addict and Ringo have turned me off from the Scorpio. .......
The problem is not the vehicle but the CRDi turbo engine. It is tuned to run efficiently at higher RPM, so pottering around at low speeds at low RPM (when the turbo is off) is difficult.

For your type of requirement a 60HP DI engine is the best bet, but they no longer make them, at least not BS-IV version.

If you can sacrifice FE, then you can do what one BHPian did - drive in 4x4 low when you need low speed grunt. You can happily potter around at 30km/h in 4x4 fourth gear.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks