Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2010, 20:54   #466
Senior - BHPian

MLD from Mahindra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Oh, even MLD would do, in fact it will be even better than LSD. How is it engaged, mechanical, electrical?

The rumour of LSD in Thar has been around for ages now. Since the Indian version doesn't have it, I figured it must be on the export model. If it is on some model, there has to be part number.

Actually, it is all crazy. See the photograph of Thar in the brochure for Europe: http://www.mahindrathar.com/thar_brochure.pdf

Thar in that image has full floating rear axle (FFRA), but the specs says semi-floating. May there is a LSD, and specs say nothing about it.

This is how Mahindra works. I asked for a spare water hose (lower one) for my CJ340, but the part shop at the local Mahindra workshop doesn't know which one to give. So they tell me, get the part number. Same goes for many parts I needed for the Jeep. I find the part number from Team-BHP, then the part shop gets me the part.
Dear Samurai- insiders from M&M say that a few export models of Scorpio come equipped with LSD option, this is with 4.55 axle ratio (that means you are right that there is a part number for it),whereas Thar i suppose is with 4.3 ratio hence i seriously doubt if it has a LSD fitted in it. As per my understanding the MLD has a small mechanical governor installed in it, when the governor senses the difference in rpm of the epicyclic gears the weights connected to the governor fly away, thereby preventing drive from getting transmitted to the slipping wheel. There is a slight correction from one of my earlier post, MLD means Mechanically Locking Differential and not Manually Locking Differential.

Now the way in which Mahindra works, yes you are right again, one of my friends was fooled by the Sales advisor, telling him that Scorpio BS-IV mentioned on the decal means it is a 4WD vehicle (what more should i say?). Regarding part numbers- PM me, i may be of some help to you,

Spike
Old 15th January 2010, 21:38   #467
Senior - BHPian

Axle for Thar

Dear Samurai- the vehicle showed in website http://www.mahindrathar.com/thar_brochure.pdf is a RHD one (see the wiper arm, it is a mirror image of LHD). Moreover, one cannot confirm if that is a FFRA or a SFRA, earlier those push through caps inserted in the spigot hole were only of one type (the ones for 4WD and 2WD were common then), later "someones common sense prevailed" and two variants were created one with greater projection for 4WD and one with lesser projection for 2WD). 4WD vehicles used the one with greater projection in all 4 wheels. If you would have noticed earlier scorpios had the bigger one on 4 wheels even though all scorpios csme with SFRA.

Regards,

Spike
Old 15th January 2010, 21:58   #468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
the front track of THAR is 1445mm.
the rear track is 1346mm.

whats the benefit of keeping the rear track shotter than the front track?

i think bolero has a similar set up!
This type of setup make a vehicle more stable in corners compared to similar track width. But in this case there is other part the front independent suspension component take a bit more space.

Last edited by dinar : 15th January 2010 at 22:08.
Old 15th January 2010, 22:12   #469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Dear Parm- you are correct, bolero has a similar set up with 57" at the front and 53" at the rear, one reason for this may be the axles being used for Thar are off the shelf parts and not newly developed ones. You may find this behavior in FWD cars, i suppose this is due to packaging constraints (East West configuration)
Old 15th January 2010, 22:27   #470
Senior - BHPian

thanks for the replies guys.

but doesnt that difference in front and rear axles make tyres wore out uneven.

also the alignment of the wheels are affected!

on top it make the vehicle look wierd.

inspite of all this bolero is the highest sold MPV.
Old 15th January 2010, 22:37   #471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
This type of setup make a vehicle more stable in corners compared to similar track width. But in this case there is other part the front independent suspension component take a bit more space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Dear Parm- you are correct, bolero has a similar set up with 57" at the front and 53" at the rear, one reason for this may be the axles being used for Thar are off the shelf parts and not newly developed ones. You may find this behavior in FWD cars, i suppose this is due to packaging constraints (East West configuration)
The Bolero front track is more than the rear and its not only in the VLX which sports IFS but also on the regular model. I understand this is more better stability through corner and provides that squatter foot print. This is what I know. Anybody who can explain better, I would really like to know more
Old 15th January 2010, 22:58   #472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thanks for the replies guys.

but doesnt that difference in front and rear axles make tyres wore out uneven.

also the alignment of the wheels are affected!

on top it make the vehicle look wierd.

inspite of all this bolero is the highest sold MPV.

Dear Parm- it is agreed that the vehicle looks weird, but why do you say that the alignment gets affected and the tires wear out unevenly?
Old 15th January 2010, 23:09   #473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Dear Parm- it is agreed that the vehicle looks weird, but why do you say that the alignment gets affected and the tires wear out unevenly?
if the front and rear tyres are not in straight line, wont the alignment gets affected along with the uneven worn out of the tyres?
Old 15th January 2010, 23:14   #474
BHPian

Quote:
if the front and rear tyres are not in straight line, wont the alignment gets affected along with the uneven worn out of the tyres?
I have Bolero Sportz and I have not faced any problem of the alignment or uneven wear out of tyres.

Regards
Gautam
Old 15th January 2010, 23:14   #475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Parm- i cant understand how one tyre not being in line with the other tire can cause alignment problems, if that was the case an autorickshaw would have three types of wear pattern on its tyres, also alignment is not dependent on where the tyres are, it depends on the suspension geometry of the front and rear wheels. Hope it is clear now.

Spike
Old 15th January 2010, 23:32   #476
Senior - BHPian

thanx for your answers in clearing the doubts.

but why would M&M keep this difference in axle sizes and no other OE is doing it?
Old 16th January 2010, 00:57   #477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

May be front track is wider to accommodate better turning radius and rear is kept in the older size(i'm guessing may be wrong so don't blame me for this) to maintain the inventory and reuse of existing axle sizes.

May be it is got to do something with the power, I have always admired the bull dog character in Tom and Jerry shows which has got similar structural design
Old 16th January 2010, 01:41   #478
Senior - BHPian

It's mainly for stability as I mentioned earlier,Our very own Auto rickshaw,[3 wheeler] very unstable in turns,the wheel configuration is 1 in front smaller track , 2 behind larger track, but a T-rex or for that matter the BRP CAN-AM Spyder, the configuration of wheels [still 3] , 2 in front [wider track] and 1 behind [smaller track], gives them a lot of stability in corner
M&M started doing this when them came up with the IFS configuration,in the bolero No doubt M&M left the rear setup [than] untouched but there is no reason for them to keep it that way even after so many years. And on newer models.

Quote:
thanx for your answers in clearing the doubts.

but why would M&M keep this difference in axle sizes and no other OE is doing it?
Safari has front track 1500mm and rear track 1470mm, Scorpio has same track size of 1450 mm. Which has better handling comparatively. Similarly Bolero [different track size ]is better compared to Scorpio.
@ MODs sorry for the second post but the EDIT button dose not work sometime.

Last edited by v12 : 16th January 2010 at 10:05.
Old 16th January 2010, 08:27   #479
Distinguished - BHPian

@Parm, wider front track is more the norm than the exception. Most cars/SUV's have a wider front track.
Old 16th January 2010, 08:41   #480
BHPian

Wider front track is basically used for Better (Lower) turning radius & Better high speed stability.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks