Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2010, 16:35   #346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Can someone define "extreme" offroading here which they think the THAR will not be capable of?
Anything apart from the terrain used in Mahindra great Escape.
Do not take me wrongly, but what some of the JEEPS and Gypsies do at the OTRs is phenomenal. The THAR will be able to keep up with some of the thing but will need assistance for most of the obstacles.
Take a look at the OTR organized by Arka. you'll know what I am talking about.Or for that matter most the OTRs down south including the once organized by Teambhp.

Last edited by dinar : 12th January 2010 at 16:41.
Old 12th January 2010, 16:45   #347
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
The THAR will be able to keep up with some of the thing but will need assistance for most of the obstacles.
Don't be in a hurry to write it off so soon You never know she may just surprise you all !!
Old 12th January 2010, 17:00   #348
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Anything organized by JEEPTHRILLS down south (Kerala, Karnataka & TN)
Quote:
Anything apart from the terrain used in Mahindra great Escape.
Ok i get the message.

But none of the jeeps on there are stock anyways.

Are we saying the Thar is not even a good platform to build upon?
Old 12th January 2010, 17:07   #349
BHPian

Surprise !!!

There is not going to be any surprise . I bet with a little modification THAR would be an offroaders most sorted vehicle.

If we had realized we were in need of good engine and gear box which ultimately comes with Thar.

What does every mechanics do " PIMP my ride " its basically engine and gear box everything else will have to be built around

Other features well - A JEEP has to be built for Offroads not bought for Offroads
Old 12th January 2010, 17:10   #350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Anything organized by JEEPTHRILLS down south (Kerala, Karnataka & TN)
Quote:
The THAR will be able to keep up with some of the thing but will need assistance for most of the obstacles....
In the Blore Circuit there are 2 4x4 Scorpios modded for OTR's. I have seen 1 in action, 1 in Pics. One in flesh was in Chikbelapur OTR, Other than the body taking a beating, its chassis and IFS layout fared as good as other JEEPS/Gypsies. The 2nd in pics was at the same OTR (earlier time period), other than a burnt clutch due to other reasons, it also preformed well.

My personal dislike in the THAR is it is no more a Simple JEEP, now its a complicated Sedan with a 4X4. I still believe it will do its job and be ON-PAR with a JEEP, albeit with a bigger post-OTR bill.

Arka, I have a question to you. Has any Scorpio 4x4 participated/completed TPC? Do you personally feel Thar will fare better or On Par with a real Jeep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Don't be in a hurry to write it off so soon You never know she may just surprise you all !!
+1, I wont be surprised. I am sure Thar will deliver - but as Rancho Said "Why a Pen Vs a Pencil in outer space..."

Last edited by svsantosh : 12th January 2010 at 17:14.
Old 12th January 2010, 17:16   #351
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
but as Rancho Said Why a Pen Vs a Pencil in outer space...
Noakh toot gayee to kya karoge? Sharpner bhi leke jaana padega. Iss liye kabhi kabhi pen aur sensible option hoti

Translated: You need to carry a sharpner with a pencil like some spares and a mechanic with the good old Jeep just kidding guys !

Last edited by DKG : 12th January 2010 at 17:17.
Old 12th January 2010, 17:16   #352
BHPian

WOW....i'm pleasantly surprised to read Thar Test Drive / OTR reports even before its out. Can't we wait for a while before passing judgements?

-- Torqy
Old 12th January 2010, 17:27   #353
Team-BHP Support

OT: Coz pencil tip can break and can poke you in your eyes!

Hey but i guess to be fair to Thar, first we need to wait and watch what the final product is going to be, and at what price level. Then decide which are the area's where it will need upgrade and what are the options available off the shelf or otherwise.

Even if you buy a stock gyspy, for serious offroad fun, you will eventually need to invest in a crawler kit at the least. Those overhangs are a pain and you will go nuts. So my wishlist for brand new gypsy starts with body shop!

Apart from the ECU controlled engine, there is nothing very complicated about Thar, from where i am looking. M&M always had relatively cheap parts and when its a brand new vehicle, its ability rather the reliability will be better by atleast 50% if maintained well.

The ability to go "extreme", well as long as the budget and options to modification is infinite that shouldnt be a problem.

In short: Me as a buyer who is looking for a reliable offroad machine i have only 2 options i see in the near future: a) Petrol Gypsy or b) Diesel Thar. And i guess both can take some serious and regular amount of abuse without much fuss. If i graduate to events obviously i would have to "prepare" both these vehicles.
Old 12th January 2010, 17:36   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
...as a buyer who is looking for a reliable offroad machine i have only 2 options i see in the near future: a) Petrol Gypsy or b) Diesel Thar. And i guess both can take some serious and regular amount of abuse without much fuss. ...
and why not also the Diesel Major 4x4 ? I think it also satisfies the above criteria.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 12th January 2010 at 17:38.
Old 12th January 2010, 17:38   #355
BHPian

Quote:
OT: Coz pencil tip can break and can poke you in your eyes!

In short: Me as a buyer who is looking for a reliable offroad machine i have only 2 options i see in the near future: a) Petrol Gypsy or b) Diesel Thar. And i guess both can take some serious and regular amount of abuse without much fuss. If i graduate to events obviously i would have to "prepare" both these vehicles.
Inclue the Mahindra Major also buddy .

Its is also good - simple and Legendary model and can take MAX abuse more than gypsy and THAR

Correct em if i'm wrong seniors
Old 12th January 2010, 17:50   #356
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i have only 2 options i see in the near future
err actually 3 options Jaggu. The Gurkha with OM611 will be a reality this year am running for cover...before i get

Last edited by DKG : 12th January 2010 at 17:52.
Old 12th January 2010, 17:59   #357
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by propeller View Post
Inclue the Mahindra Major also buddy .

Its is also good - simple and Legendary model and can take MAX abuse more than gypsy and THAR

Correct em if i'm wrong seniors
This statement is disputable. How can you say Gypsy can't take as much abuse as Major? The fact is Majors are rarely seen in OTRs.

Regarding Thar, we can't make any statements yet. Behram says it outdoes any Indian offroad machine. He knows Thar inside out and has more offroad experience than most of us. He was offroading when MGE was a real 4x4 event. The MGE went soft 2006 onwards.

So let's have some faith in our man and take his word for now. Gurkha has IFS, yet seems to do well.
Old 12th January 2010, 18:00   #358
adc
Senior - BHPian

Dear Mr Dhabar,

Just like others for different myriad reason, I too have been enthused about the product discussion so far and the subsequently do congratulate you and your team for taking out a perfectly capable vehicle that is possible by you working under the limitations. And thus, for my own reason, is very much on line for the Thar 4wd [thanks a lot for keeping the manual selector], of course now pending the only unknown - its price.

The wishlist thread had and has one almost universal feature demand, that of LSD at least. Of course since MM does not provide LSD any vehicle, most probably you and team also did not have access to the same. Also is disappointed somewhat about no gas shock absorbers. Also are disc brakes with booster? If you can even now, please at least do incorporate these!

But still again congratulate you and your team about this vehicle, the first of the affordable 4wd vehicles that do everything quite a bit of both and even sometimes wholly - offroading and touring. And as said do understand the limitations there has been and thus would not go into whether the wishlist was followed in totality or partially.

And then would like to point out to a post of yours in the wishlist thread - remembered this post very much and dug it out today!

Quote:
Passenger car beating on-road power delivery / driveability with decent performance, no cost-escalating frills at all (no show sha business), a soft top and a fantastic 4WD with after sale add-on options on mechanicals as well as show sha as you please depending on the moolah on the table. What then? Let's see now.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post1084289
So when you had talked about mechanicals , then comes the LSD and difflocks at the foreforst.

Hope here MM keeps the word or at least even if nothing comes out from there again due to the limitations, please do keep the window open so that the warranty of the vehicle is not over if I fit myself these mechanicals.

And last but coming to the price, one of the flip side of BSIV days from the other end would be expecting the same kind of margin that you have been getting from the Major. And if MM does however expect, then there goes the basic 4wd Thar out of 5.5-6 L bracket - the maximum that it should go for myself.

All said and done and without the pudding still being eaten, the vehicle does seem that it will prove its worth fully. congrats once again and please do consider, if possible, some of the points above.

Last edited by adc : 12th January 2010 at 18:06.
Old 12th January 2010, 18:03   #359
Team-BHP Support

Yeah why Major is not a major hit in offroad?

I have been told that major's axle ratio is not really apt for offroad, but that can be changed right? and it has a shorter wheelbase compared to MM right?
Old 12th January 2010, 18:13   #360
Senior - BHPian

My question to Mr. Behram and the rest of the off-road seniors:

Wouldn't the rampover angle of 15 degrees be a hindrance while off-road? Especially with an approach angle of 46 deg and a departure angle of 30.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed