Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2023, 22:29   #1606
BHPian

Re: Maruti Gypsy Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
So many people talk such judgemental nonsense about the ride quality of the Gypsy.
I ve just taken my stock Gypsy for a 40km ride this morning across various bit of Bangalore and the usual nonsense roads and speed breakers. I give it a run every week because the manual gearbox and soft top and no power steering and no AC gives me the pleasure of connecting with the world in a more basic way.
And in all honesty if driven the right way, the stock Gypsy with stock nylon cross ply tyres with the recommended 20PSI actually gives a more comfortable ride than the SWB Thar. The longer wheelbase helps in managing speed breakers much better.
It is a great vehicle.
And the new Jimny definitely carries that imprinted DNA stamp which take this character forward.
Boss, I can agree with you about "... connecting with the world in a more basic way" as I was used to vehicles like the old Land Rover, Willys/Mahindra, and Nissan Patrol/Jonga, but that would be in winter only. Or in Bangalore with its moderate climate. Even Calcutta heat ( low by north Indian standards) is impossible to bear in a soft top Gypsy !

As for the suspension, I thought MSL recommended pressure on stock tyres were 24 PSI front, and 26 rear. With that, the rear axle bounce was the worst I have seen in any leaf spring fitted 'car'. Only way to get it to pass a speed breaker comfortably was to push it, or go flying at high speed ! But I never tried the 20 PSI trick.

But now, with 215-75 R15 tyres, and Innova rear shocks in front and Xylo at the back (as suggested by some BHPians and you-tubers) I have a much more comfortable ride.

Have you upgraded the shockers ?

With the Jimny and its coil springs, everyone so far reports it to be more comfortable than the front-independent THAR. So be it -- something to compensate for the small size and still underpowered engine. Those are in the DNA allright !
SnakemanJohny is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 23:05   #1607
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakemanJohny View Post
Boss, I can agree with you about "... connecting with the world in a more basic way"

As for the suspension, I thought MSL recommended pressure on stock tyres were 24 PSI front, and 26 rear. ! But I never tried the 20 PSI trick.

But now, with 215-75 R15 tyres, and Innova rear shocks in front and Xylo at the back (as suggested by some BHPians and you-tubers) I have a much more comfortable ride.

Have you upgraded the shockers ?

With the Jimny and its coil springs, everyone so far reports it to be more comfortable than the front-independent THAR. !
Sir

The standard recommended tyre pressure for gypsy with No load is 20 psi. Under load you can use 22-24.
I have the original tyre pressure sticker on my Gypsy and will photograph it tomorrow and post. It is located on the right side of the panel which is on the right of the steering wheel.

I have not upgraded anything. Mine runs on stock nylon cross ply MRF Estate tyres F78-15. And the shock absorbers are the original OEM Maruti. The seats are OEM Maruti.

And I promise you you will be shocked at how comfy itnis in stock form. Ask @condor and @bibendum - they have both driven my Gypsy.

Yes indeed the Jimny is more comfortable than the Thar is. No doubt about that at all. Ive written about my test drive impression on the Jimny thread if you’d like to take a look.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 06:53   #1608
BANNED

Quote:
But I never tried the 20 PSI trick.

!
As promised in my Post of last night, please find attached the OEM tyre placard sticker from my Gypsy.
20-20 psi with no load
20-26 psi with load
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Gypsy Pictures-img_3559.jpeg  

Last edited by bblost : 11th July 2023 at 08:10. Reason: as requested
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 07:31   #1609
Distinguished - BHPian

@SnakemanJohny, IMO you are running the tyres with higher pressure than required.

I tried a google search for tyre pressures. Tiresize.com has a section for Pressure calculator. For the tyre size that the Gypsy has, it looks like same pressure as stock for the larger tyres that you have.

(However, when I tried to look up for tyre pressures when upgrading from 235/70/R16 -> 245/70/R16 , the recommended pressure was actually Lower by 1 psi ! )

Looks like the required pressure depends on the tyre's actual size, and not blindly increase the pressure on larger tyres. We are using Pressure as the parameter to measure, and not the volume of air inside the tyre.

Last edited by condor : 11th July 2023 at 07:39.
Old 11th July 2023, 09:28   #1610
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Sir

The standard recommended tyre pressure for gypsy with No load is 20 psi. ..
Wow.. Thats surprising. I think the Jimny, is not intended to be driven above 80-100 at all!

Or rather at speeds on highways for long durations.. And.. Not intended to be loaded up at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Looks like the required pressure depends on the tyre's actual size, and not blindly increase the pressure on larger tyres. ..
Required pressure depends on intended purpose.. Mainly load carrying ability (Vehicle weight + Payload) and to some extent speed. Not really size. If you intend to carry larger loads then recommended pressure will be higher. It's about what tyre flex you get under what load and under what pressure.

Last edited by dhanushs : 11th July 2023 at 09:33.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 09:51   #1611
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Required pressure depends on intended purpose.. .
Agree on the purpose part. My comments were based on the calculations on the web-site, using same values but change of tyre width/aspect ratio.
Old 11th July 2023, 14:20   #1612
BHPian

A little late to the party,

Here are some pictures of my Gypsy.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Gypsy Pictures-whatsapp-image-20230711-1.46.15-pm-3.jpeg  

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-whatsapp-image-20230711-1.26.29-pm.jpeg  

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-whatsapp-image-20230711-1.26.31-pm.jpeg  

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-whatsapp-image-20230711-1.46.15-pm-2.jpeg  

danny2599 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 17:01   #1613
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Wow.. Thats surprising. I think the Jimny, is not intended to be driven above 80-100 at all! Or rather at speeds on highways for long durations.. And.. Not intended to be loaded up at all!
Required pressure depends on intended purpose.. Mainly load carrying ability (Vehicle weight + Payload) and
This is from my Gypsy.
The company recommended tyre pressures.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Gypsy Pictures-img_3559.jpeg  

Old 11th July 2023, 20:14   #1614
BHPian

Dear shankar.balan, and condor, thank you. And I stand corrected.

I got the 24/26 from a chart displayed beside the air filling apparatus at the fuel station I frequently go to. I was so thrilled to find GYPSY in the list of cars with their recommended pressures, I did not look anywhere else ! That was many years ago.

Both my Gypsies --410W and 413W -- were and are modified 5-doors, so that sticker must have got removed during the process of 'body building', as I cannot still find one !

Thank you, again. I shall ride on softer tyres now !But with a full metal body, a 5-door Gypsy may not fall under the 'no load' category even when only the driver is in it?
SnakemanJohny is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 20:28   #1615
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I shall ride on softer tyres now !But with a full metal body, a 5-door Gypsy may not fall under the 'no load' category even when only the driver is in it?
You could experiment a bit by reducing the pressures to 20& 24, then may be 21 & 23-24. See where the comfort is.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 21:54   #1616
Distinguished - BHPian

As per the useful info shared by Shankar, I reduced the pressure in my front tyres to 21, and the ride is better. Will reduce it to 20/24 tomorrow. Thanks, Shankar !

One good thing with my Gypsy is that the 8k run new stock rims, Nexen tyres + valves hold the pressure. No drop at all in the few months now.
Old 24th July 2023, 18:56   #1617
BANNED

Great Bangalore weather. Ideal vehicle to use for local errands and shopping in. Mine was even used as an ambulance today to make an essential visit to the local hospital for someone who is temporarily incapacitated. My lovely Gypsy. Its got so much in it to appreciate.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Gypsy Pictures-img_3861.jpeg  

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-img_3862.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 20:50   #1618
BHPian

The old girl got a decent run this morning. Still has issues with a misfiring cylinder which has been identified as a dodgy distributor. Engine related parts for the 410 are getting to be really hard to get. Sigh.

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-gypsy-lw.jpg
keroo1099 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th August 2023, 23:08   #1619
Distinguished - BHPian

After about a 1000km of regular use in the past few weeks, now coming to a point where I keep trying to pick between this and the Storme, as to which one to take out. The Storme is king, but the Gypsy keeps calling. Except on the bumps and bad potholes, it runs so sweetly - esp once it is in 3rd or higher. A decent 10-ish FE also helps. No music being played, but just that lovely note of the power-train. Dont have to think much about getting into gaps, easy to get into smaller roads and parking spots. Have begun to enjoy it !
Old 17th August 2023, 15:10   #1620
BANNED

Spotted this beautiful MG 410 just now. Looks like an re conditioned auction one. Thr colour is not original and nor is the top but the execution is flawless.
Beautiful eternal classic Gypsy.
There is a Gypsy in Everyone…
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Gypsy Pictures-img_4548.jpeg  

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-img_4547.jpeg  

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-img_4549.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks