Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2024, 15:20   #1636
BHPian

Re: Maruti Gypsy Pictures

Hey all, I'm excited to share a few pictures of my Gypsy. Originally a 410w, it has now evolved into a 416w, and while there's still much to be done, thought of covering up some miles and finish off with the run-in period first. The enhanced drivability has truly made this vehicle that perfect city car for me, and the notable improvement in fuel efficiency is an added bonus. The color was inspired by the iconic Land Cruiser 79series Troopy, adding a touch of adventure to its visual appeal. Looking forward to do a lot of off road drives and expeditions with this. Will be posting more updates in the coming days.

Sorry for the poor quality images. All of these were taken from a phone.

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-100005958901.jpeg

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-10000595940101.jpeg

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-100005959501.jpeg

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-img_20230921_14244001.jpeg

Sharing space along with it's stablemate, a 2014 Safari Storme 4x4.

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-img_20231023_1041100101.jpeg
Bageera is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 22:24   #1637
BHPian

Dear Bageera
The colour is great, I love it ! Unique as well as somewhat dust/mud proof !
Any pics of the engine and how did you shoe-horn it in ?

And what improvement of fuel efficiency did you achieve so far ?
Old 15th February 2024, 01:12   #1638

Hi all, I'm Aayush Bharadwaj

Recently got approved my team bhp account

I own a 2005, ex-army Gypsy.
The reason I got the gypsy is way more different than for what I'm using it for now😅.
I've done some soft roading with it, will not take it to any off-roading places until I've got all the mechanical things sorted.
I myself with the help of my close friend do everything on my Gypsy,like all the maintenance, repairing etc,
PS: as we are pursuing our mechanical engineering we have some idea 😅.
Here are some photos of my Gypsy, it's not in a very great condition.
I've got soo many plans for this.
Maruti Gypsy Pictures-img20230908173813.jpg

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-img20230716141954.jpg

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-psx_20230115_231341.jpg

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-psx_20230311_163944.jpg
Weeklydriven is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 07:34   #1639
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeklydriven View Post
Hi all, I'm Aayush Bharadwaj

Recently got approved my team bhp account
Welcome Aayush
For the rest of the group, Aayush is one of the main driving forces behind the Old Maruti Car Group here in Bangalore. Between he and the other founding members, they arrange a few meets and drives now and then. You can see Aayush’s Gypsy in these pics. One - third in the lineup and two driving alone.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Gypsy Pictures-img_9608.jpeg  

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-img_9606.jpeg  

Last edited by Sheel : 15th February 2024 at 10:19. Reason: Broken quote tag fixed. Thanks.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 09:16   #1640

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Welcome Aayush
For the rest of the group, Aayush is one of the main driving forces behind the Old Maruti Car Group here in Bangalore. Between he and the other founding members, they arrange a few meets and drives now and then. You can see Aayush’s Gypsy in these pics. One - third in the lineup and two driving alone

Thank you Shankar sir.
I've been following up your posts from a pretty long time, honoured that you mentioned me

Last edited by Sheel : 15th February 2024 at 10:20. Reason: Quoted post is edited. Thanks.
Weeklydriven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 10:13   #1641
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakemanJohny View Post
Dear Bageera
The colour is great, I love it ! Unique as well as somewhat dust/mud proof !
Any pics of the engine and how did you shoe-horn it in ?

And what improvement of fuel efficiency did you achieve so far ?
Actually the 416 Baleno engine is a straight fit. The engine block essentially is the same size. The bore and stroke are different. The wiring harnesses and fuel injectors and connectors are different. The ECM is different. Hence all these things need to be changed too.

The power to weight ratio of the Gypsy changes drastically with the Baleno engine. Its a heck of an upgrade. If at all there is a problem, it is the ‘stopping power’ of the stock brakes and boosters with this engine.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 14:07   #1642
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

My 2015 Gypsy and the Grand Child
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Gypsy Pictures-jimny.jpg  

thebikemaster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2024, 20:17   #1643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Actually the 416 Baleno engine is a straight fit. The engine block essentially is the same size. The bore and stroke are different. The wiring harnesses and fuel injectors and connectors are different. The ECM is different. Hence all these things need to be changed too.

The power to weight ratio of the Gypsy changes drastically with the Baleno engine. Its a heck of an upgrade. If at all there is a problem, it is the ‘stopping power’ of the stock brakes and boosters with this engine.
Wonder why the morons at MSL did not think of putting that in the new Jimny ? Why should Gypsies/Jimnies must always remain underpowered 4WDs, starting from the 410 ?

I would have thought of putting it in my Gypsy if it wasn't 13 yrs old, and I wasn't tired of the whole experience -- non-power steering, huge turning circle, spares availability in Calcutta etc.

Maybe I can buy a 'shell' of a Jimny body, and use the Baleno engine ?
Old 16th February 2024, 20:45   #1644
BANNED

Quote:

Maybe I can buy a 'shell' of a Jimny body, and use the Baleno engine ?
An easier option for you to increase the Jimny’s responsiveness is the throttle controller. This is a non-invasive way of improving throttle response.
Other members like Gsferrari in Chennai are finding it very positive.

The only option which will help boost power in the Jimny is internationally available as a bolt on Turbo Kit which can be added on to the Jimny by a competent workshop.

As yours is an old Gypsy it should be relatively easy for you to find and install the old Baleno Naturally Aspirated 1.6 litre engine. That will make a big difference. Gypsys with Baleno engines are a real hoot to drive.
Old 16th February 2024, 21:09   #1645
BHPian

Thanks,shankar.balan, but no. I read gsferrari's report on the throttle controller, and those of others, too -- improves response but not power !

A turbo would be okay though I prefer natural aspiration. But all that is speculations still. Am waiting for MSL to further reduce price, and/or introduce "wide body" on similar lines as Wide Track, so three passengers can fit abreast !

The second is high hopes, indeed.

Also waiting for the THAR 5-door, and the new JONGA ! Then I decide what to go for.
Old 16th February 2024, 21:44   #1646
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks,shankar.balan, but no. I read gsferrari's report on the throttle controller, and those of others, too --
The second is high hopes, indeed.

Also waiting for the THAR 5-door, and the new JONGA ! Then I decide what to go for.
Yes the throttle controller improves response and not power.
I also prefer a good NA engine.
Mahindra has tuned their MStallion Turbo petrol engine beautifully so that it is absolutely linear in its response though a real gas guzzler. But the joy it provides on acceleration is something else indeed.
I don't think we will see a wide body Jimny unless it is a flared kit. It certainly won’t fit three ‘healthy’ human animals abreast.
Price reductions also I don't know. The Nexa chaps are asking us now to pay advance, book and wait for delivery. Just like it used to be with the Gypsy for civilian use.
The Thar 5 door promises to be a practical Super-Jeep but the Thar intrinsically is large, heavy and ponderous as compared to the Jimny which is small, light and nimble. Therefore, while the big Thar will be a really nice go anywhere highway cruiser, the Jimny will always be better on the narrow city streets and hill roads. Problem is, ‘reaching’ the hills from the plains, in the Jimny. That will be an ‘effort’.
Old 15th March 2024, 12:16   #1647
BHPian

Garage Goals Achieved! A dream come true!

Grew up in a coffee estate where Gypsy was the primary vehicle for any kind of travel.

The love towards Gypsy never ended. Life progressed but the WANT to have a Gypsy never died!

Every time an ad comes up I used to go check out the Gypsy and come back with the sad face mainly because none of them were bone stock vehicles.

Call me a purist, I am one!! I love vehicles to be bone stock without any functional or non functional mods. I am the last one to put a snorkel, limb raisers, off road tyres, 100 lights and still drive the vehicle to fetch vegetables and groceries !!

With the grace of God and Elders I was able to lay my hands on a pure stock vehicle yesterday!

Presenting you all my new toy a 2014 Gypsy in Harvest Green with just 24000 on the ODO which is genuine! Ask me how? I have got the complete service history from Maruti!!

Now can I please put a sticker “You can go fast but I can go anywhere”????

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-img_2835.jpg
Oppanna is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 13:02   #1648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppanna View Post
Presenting you all my new toy a 2014 Gypsy in Harvest Green with just 24000 on the ODO which is genuine! Ask me how? I have got the complete service history from Maruti!!
Is this Shankar's Gypsy by any chance?
starter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 13:13   #1649
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Spot on ! Shankar got an almost new Jimny.

Btw, I'll say the Gypsy is an acquired taste. But once it bites, it is hard to let go. My Storme is pretty much a garage queen now with the Gypsy doing regular duty.

Last edited by condor : 15th March 2024 at 13:15.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 14:11   #1650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Yes it is!

Been a fan of his Gypsy for very long time and was following his posts very closely.

One of his posts in Jimmy thread about his observations on the Jimmy and he stated that he might consider selling his Gypsy if Jimny comes in!

That re started my Gypsy hunt and was able to get the vehicle yesterday.
Oppanna is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks