Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2010, 19:06   #196
BHPian

Yes - That is the Thar that I am busy building in South Africa.

It is fitted with 31*11.5*16 Maxis Mudzillas with a 65mm body lift! The Mags is a different PCD - I had adaptor plates made as those is standard for a Toyota Land Cruiser in SA -I wanted to fit those as we dont get 8" wide for Mahindra
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar and the Drool Quotient !!-dsc_6986.jpg  

Mahindra Thar and the Drool Quotient !!-dsc_6994.jpg  

Mahindra Thar and the Drool Quotient !!-dsc_6906.jpg  

Last edited by Wild_Card : 26th July 2010 at 19:23.
Old 26th July 2010, 20:41   #197
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_Card View Post
It is fitted with 31*11.5*16 Maxis Mudzillas with a 65mm body lift!
That's fantastic !! Do share your experiences post the upgrade to these tyres.
Old 26th July 2010, 20:54   #198
Team-BHP Support

Superb mods, could you share more details with the pictures of modification stuff please?
Old 26th July 2010, 21:03   #199
Senior - BHPian

Hi Spike,

Sorry I joined the party late. This Thar justifies the title of the thread and not what was displayed in the 2010 Delhi Auto show. With a original 540/ 550 shell and minimalistic cosmetics done, makes it international stageworthy .

The GC the tryes have given it the look of a MAN'S JEEP and not a SISSY bling Jeep.

Add to it a winch, a huge spare on the tail, a rugged looking roll bar, a thick antenna, a smart soft top, ac and the option of a FRP top.

There was never a question on my mind of what it could deliver in the first minute of my 2009 test drive, what further test drives unfolded is there for all to see and some select few did. Spike, the little-lot like on this Thar needs to be done for turning heads. Not that you should roll it out with these exact tyres.... but you get the drift right?

Why wasn't the Thar displayed at the Hyderabad Auto show this month when Mahindra had a stall displaying Bolero, Logan etc....if only this Thar would be there as it is with its hood wide open for all to see what runs it, the response would be beyond anybody's expectations.

Regards,

Thar could share the stage with big brands...... but?
Mahindra Thar and the Drool Quotient !!-img_7216.jpg
Old 26th July 2010, 21:30   #200
Senior - BHPian

Spike,

The front articulation on IFS is huge, how much did the 65mm body lift contribute to this factor?
Mahindra Thar and the Drool Quotient !!-dsc_6986.jpg
Old 27th July 2010, 08:58   #201
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Spike,

Any reason why the Army type front fender extension was discontinued in favour of the pick-up type. I feel the Army type as on the legend and on my 540 is a much nicer looking front fender extension than the pick up type on the Thar.
Old 27th July 2010, 09:08   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Spike,

The front articulation on IFS is huge, how much did the 65mm body lift contribute to this factor?
Attachment 394356
Sir, from the pics I presume the Anti roll bar/Stabilizer bar has been removed. Also, it is uncertain whether the bump stops mounted on the control arms (aimed at restricting the wheel travel) are still there or not. Body lift has created clearance between the wheel and the body. The increase is GC is proportional to the change in overall diameter of the tire.

Spike
Old 27th July 2010, 10:33   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Sir, from the pics I presume the Anti roll bar/Stabilizer bar has been removed. Also, it is uncertain whether the bump stops mounted on the control arms (aimed at restricting the wheel travel) are still there or not. Body lift has created clearance between the wheel and the body. The increase is GC is proportional to the change in overall diameter of the tire.

Spike
Good Morning Spike,

Hypothetically, lets say if anti roll /Stabilizer bar control and arm bump stops are not removed...would this articulation be possible on the stock setup, on just the 65mm body lift?

Regards,
Old 27th July 2010, 10:57   #204
Senior - BHPian

Good Morning Sir,

The body lift provides room for the wheel travel (up/down motion). The articulation offered by the front wheels is in no way a function of the body lift. As you know the wheel travel is about to change (taking into consideration the tyre factor also), you must have a provision for this to happen, a very simple way of doing this is by changing the envelope around the wheels. Body lift helps in achieving the same. Articulation is always a function of the suspension components/wheel ends.

Spike

PS- This is the precise reason why Army fenders are different.
Old 27th July 2010, 11:56   #205
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I enjoy your replies as I can see you guys are very sharp to detail.
The body lift does not help in any way with the wheel atricilation as it is only effected by the suspension, I have lifted the body to ensure there is enough space for the bigger wheels. Yes, I did remove the front anti-roll bar to get more wheel travel - as the IFS (idependent front suspension) The other option is to modify the front bump stops - this also will supply more wheel travel - but one needs to be very carefull as the front travel is limited to the CV-joint angles, if you try to get to much travel - the CV joints will break.
I dont have more pictures, but wil try to take a few over the weekend.
Old 27th July 2010, 12:30   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@spikek:

You are right that articulation is a factor/function of suspension travel, but in the case of Thar we have seen it being limited due to the tire fowling with the front fender. Guess in this sense the Thar can do better as the articulation is no longer hindered by the tires hitting the fender.
Old 27th July 2010, 13:06   #207
BHPian

Errrrr

Hi Spike,

Come September....I keep hearing this tune and then it gets drowned by the roar of a jeep.

Heh heh
Old 27th July 2010, 14:36   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_Card View Post
Yes - That is the Thar that I am busy building in ...
That is some nice axle articulation that your Thar is displaying, Wild_Card. Could you please provide some more details about the mods that you have done (maybe in a separate thread, if possible, thnx).

Just curious about the bump stops...have you removed them? I am referrring to the circled spots in the below images.

Lower arm stopper

Mahindra Thar and the Drool Quotient !!-tharifslowerarmc.jpg

Upper arm stopper

Mahindra Thar and the Drool Quotient !!-tharifsupperarmc.jpg
Old 27th July 2010, 15:33   #209
BHPian

You are refering to the right stops, if you shorten the bottum stopper your wheel will travel higher up, in other words closer to your body, the problem here is that the gap between the tyre and the fender. That is why I have done the body lift, to increase this.

The the top bump stop - We fit a different bump stop in SA, it is a lot smaller than the standard one that is in your vehicle. See the attached docs, but like I mentioned - the danger here if you cut these to much, the CV`s might not be handle the extra travel.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar and the Drool Quotient !!-screenhunter_02-jul.-27-11.57.jpg  

Mahindra Thar and the Drool Quotient !!-screenhunter_01-jul.-27-11.55.jpg  

Old 27th July 2010, 18:43   #210
BHPian

No expert here but wouldn't Spring suspension aka pata suspension be better & sturdy than the jeep being on air i.e IFS

The ride would be stiff however tougher .....

Cheers
Closed Thread

Most Viewed