Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2010, 11:45   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
@Jaskirat
hey man congrats
i just love jongas and if you need any help on the weekends when you are working on jonga i would be more than happy help you out
Manikjeet, thanks for the offer. I might just take you up on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrakkar View Post
Wow! Second Jonga restoration/redo so close to home?

Once things are sorted out a little, would like to have a look at the beast.

BTW Jaskirat, do we have good mechs for Jonga in Chandigarh or would you be taking it somewhere else for the work?

Keep the updates coming and all the very best!

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh
Hi Jaspreet, there are good mechanics in Chandigarh. Therefore the restoration will happen in Chandigarh.
Old 18th August 2010, 11:52   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Cost effectiveness, more reliablity and torque.
The Jonga engine is extremely reliable, and as some bhpian put it, it is bullet proof. As for torque, the 4 Litre Nissan engine produces more torque than the CRDe. As per specifications, the Nissan Engine produces 34.4 Kgm @ 2000 RPM compared to 28.3 Kgm @ 2000 RPM of the CRDe.

As for cost effectiveness, the disadvantage of running the petrol engine would get significantly mitigated by considering the cost of acquiring a good CRDe with the gearbox. Moreover, by converting one would loose the 4x4, unless one spends even more money to get the transfer case and the front drive.

Regards

Jaskirat
Jaskirat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2010, 11:55   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaskirat View Post
The Jonga engine is extremely reliable, and as some bhpian put it, it is bullet proof. As for torque, the 4 Litre Nissan engine produces more torque than the CRDe. As per specifications, the Nissan Engine produces 34.4 Kgm @ 2000 RPM compared to 28.3 Kgm @ 2000 RPM of the CRDe.

As for cost effectiveness, the disadvantage of running the petrol engine would get significantly mitigated by considering the cost of acquiring a good CRDe with the gearbox. Moreover, by converting one would loose the 4x4, unless one spends even more money to get the transfer case and the front drive.

Regards

Jaskirat
Pardon my ignorance. Thanks for correcting. By implant did mean for transfer case and front drive.
Old 18th August 2010, 12:25   #49
Senior - BHPian

People who will be happy to help Jaskirat

Manikjeet
Randhawa

Any one else?

Why dont you get a quote for restoration from Mr Sarkaria at Apex Motors in industrial area Phase II Chd. I have met him decade ago and got my car painted at his place. Can vouch for his workmanship, specially his mechanics and denter/painters. He can get you anything fabricated or sourced and hi passion, knowledge is one of a kind. Very hard to find a guy like him in Chd.
Old 18th August 2010, 12:32   #50
BHPian

Quote:

Regards

Jaskirat
Hi Jaskirat,

If at all you ever contemplate on changing the motor in the Jonga, it has to be the 4.0lt HINO diesel engine (these were used in the civilian production Jongas and the Shaktiman trucks.

The Indian Jonga's only made 26.9 kgm @ 1200 RPM. However, if you manage to get a JDM spec Hitachi carburetor (Get one for me too pleasssseeee!! ) the same motor will pump out a little over 30 kgm!! It also takes power up from 110hp to 145hp - but then you will only be looking at 2kmpl.. I've been looking to find one for a while with no luck..

You'll get a lot of info on this thread on the Nissan one ton - an older brother to the Indian Jonga!! http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...aka-1-ton.html

Cheers..
Prasad
Old 18th August 2010, 18:28   #51
BHPian

Hi Jaskirat,

Nice buy!!! You must feeling proud now!!! All the best for your restoration. It givens immense satifaction and knowledge. I have done it.

BTW was that a Army yard from where you have sent the pics of Jonga or it was any scrap dealers yard? Because I would be interested in the 550s parked behind if they are up for sale. What price?

Pls reply.

Tarkesh
Old 27th August 2010, 12:21   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_3007 View Post
Hi Jaskirat,

Nice buy!!! You must feeling proud now!!! All the best for your restoration. It givens immense satifaction and knowledge. I have done it.

BTW was that a Army yard from where you have sent the pics of Jonga or it was any scrap dealers yard? Because I would be interested in the 550s parked behind if they are up for sale. What price?

Pls reply.

Tarkesh
Hi Tarkesh,

The pictures were from the Army Yard. I bought it directly from the Army. There were several 550s parked there, and I believe these are being auctioned (in lots of 4 nos.) in the next few days. You could visit MSTC website and check the auction schedule.

I am sorry I do not know the price at which there are likely to be auctioned.

Regards

Jaskirat
Old 27th August 2010, 16:07   #53
BHPian

Progress Report

Hi Guys,

Just a quick progress report on the Jonga restoration:

a) The Solex Carburetor and the Lucas Disptributor were cleaned and refitted;
b) A new Amaron (90Ah) battery was added;
c) All the brake liners were cleaned and refitted;
d) Front brake washers were replaced (7/8" similar to Ambassador);
e) Rear brake cylinders were replaced (Identical to the one in Mahindra Maxx Pick-up)
f) Radiator Hose (Outlet to the Pump) was replaced (got it from authorized Tata spare parts dealer);
g) Filled up a 5 litre oil can with Petrol and cranked the engine. No exaggerations, the JONGA started on the second attempt. ;

Concerns:

a) The fuel tank has lot of rust that needs to be cleaned. Would have to cut it open to clean. It also has a small leak;
b) The fuse box is devoid of all fuses and has been hard wired, which I am not too happy about.
c) The front drive shaft is missing three bolts (I wonder why)

Overall the progress seems good. The intent at this stage is to run the JONGA for few weeks before commencing the restoration in earnest.

Opinion from the forum on whether I should retain the hardtop or convert the JONGA back to Softtop would be welcome. I intend starting an opinion poll.

Regards

Jaskirat

Last edited by Jaskirat : 27th August 2010 at 16:09.
Old 27th August 2010, 16:13   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
People who will be happy to help Jaskirat

Manikjeet
Randhawa

Any one else?

Why dont you get a quote for restoration from Mr Sarkaria at Apex Motors in industrial area Phase II Chd. I have met him decade ago and got my car painted at his place. Can vouch for his workmanship, specially his mechanics and denter/painters. He can get you anything fabricated or sourced and hi passion, knowledge is one of a kind. Very hard to find a guy like him in Chd.
Hi Randhawa,

I sincerely appreciate your offer.

I know Mr. Sarkaria very well and would definitely be in touch with him for guidance. I intend doing most of the work on my own with help of a local mechanic who is willing to come and work with me over the weekends. Obviously for bodywork I would seek professional help.

Regards,

Jaskirat
Old 27th August 2010, 17:04   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Finally after many years and many failed attempts, I finally have my JONGA. Yesterday I took delivery of the JONGA from the Ordanance Depot in Jallandhar.

There is great story behind my attempt to get myself a JONGA, a story that I will share at a later stage. For the moment I will like to share with fellow bhpians the pictures of the vehicle.

Regards

Jaskirat Singh
Congrats on your purchase Jaskirat. Some info on this legendary vehicle.

Specifications :-

Manufacturer: Vehicle Factory, Jabalpur (under license from Nissan)
Engine: 6 Cylinder, 3956cc in-line, petrol engine developing 110 HP @ 3200 RPM
Max Torque: 26.9 mkg @ 1200 RPM
Air Cleaner: Oil Bath with cyclonic pre-cleaner
Clutch: Single plate dry friction type, diameter 280mm
Gear Box: Synchromesh with 3F + 1R
Transfer Case: Two speeds
Front Axle: Fully floating, driven with birfield joints
Rear Axle: Semi-floating, tubular with banjo housing differential
Steering: Worm and Roller
Brakes: Hydraulic
Parking Brake: Contracting type on transmission
Tyre Size: 7.00 x 16 x 6 Ply
Gradeability: 30º
Min Turning Circle: 10.6 meter
Ground Clearance: 222mm
Payload Capacity: 250 kg
SILVERWOOD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2010, 16:47   #56
BANNED

jaskirat can you post some clear pics of interiors . btw whats the status as on?
Old 29th August 2010, 00:07   #57
Senior - BHPian

@Jaskirat- Seriously give me a shout if you need an extra hand, I would love to help you out. Not scared of getting my hands dirty and I am quite helpful with technical things.
Old 4th September 2010, 11:56   #58
BHPian

thats a good hardtop with a 1997 BA (broad arrow) number. shouldn't be bad! and i hope you plan on retaining the petrol engine.
Old 4th September 2010, 23:05   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
jaskirat can you post some clear pics of interiors . btw whats the status as on?
Hi joshguy, I will definitely post the pictures tomorrow. As for the status, Phase 1 of checking the mechanicals is over and I now intend using the Jonga to shake it up and see what all needs to be addressed in Phase 2. One thing is certain that the engine is in excellent nick and does not need to be touched, just yet. Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
@Jaskirat- Seriously give me a shout if you need an extra hand, I would love to help you out. Not scared of getting my hands dirty and I am quite helpful with technical things.
Hi Randhawa, thanks for the offer. I promise to take you up on the same very soon. Meanwhile, please PM me your mobile so that we can fix up a meeting. Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanarmy View Post
thats a good hardtop with a 1997 BA (broad arrow) number. shouldn't be bad! and i hope you plan on retaining the petrol engine.
The Chassis and the mechanicals are in very good condition, but I am not too happy with the aftermarket (read poor quality) hardtop. The guys have welded the front end of the roof to the collapsible front windshield, rendering it fixed .

I need to redo the entire structure to revert back to the original. Maybe I will attempt a removable hardtop.

Meanwhile the 4L Petrohead stays. Regards

Last edited by Jaskirat : 4th September 2010 at 23:06.
Old 6th September 2010, 12:48   #60
BHPian

Registration

First of all accept my Congratulations on getting the tough beast.

On the serious issue, would you be able to register the vehicle in major Metro Cities?

I understand that most of the auctioned vehicles needing engine replacement e.g. Petrol to any other make Diesel, do not get registered in Delhi.

Could the experts in the field update me on the issue. Jonga would be my first choice if available with any Mayapuri chap subject to registration in Delhi.

Otherwise I shall have to opt for a Jeep with the same condition. Another two weeks for me to return and start serious hunt for the 4WD.

Regards.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks