Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2010, 14:03   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
here are some pictures of FC.
engine options: entire mahindra 4x4 engine & drive line range.
Hurricane , s4 diesel, xdp4.90, xd3p,may be DI too.
only hurricane is the silent one of all.
seems like both of us were doing the same research
Old 22nd August 2010, 14:46   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
seems like both of us were doing the same research
FC Jeep rules! Is this a sign of what the future has in store?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg
Conclusion : Although it would be a super spacious vehicle , this vehicle will be too big for my kind of use for this project.

The short wheelbase FC (81 inch as Google search reveals) has a footprint about the size of (if not smaller than) a Gypsy.

But then, Dr. Ghosh, you already have a Gypsy - the cost of converting it is far cheaper than buying, renovating and converting! If you had to buy a used Gypsy, the purchase cost itself would exceed your 2L INR budget.
Old 22nd August 2010, 20:54   #48
BHPian

Hey Doc,

Another wild suggsstion - Why not to build the structure suggested by Fazal Sir or what you think on our very much awaited THAR?

Because it is

Silent - I guess,
Powerful - Sure
Comfortable - must be with IFS
looks - just like our Jeeps
Economical - New engine

more advantage points you can take from THAR threads - They are ample in nos with test drive reviews , experiences , good and bad points.

Issue?

Exact specifications - Lot is being chrned out on the threads
Cost - Nobody knows still - guessing all the way!!

Mean No offence .

What Say?

Tarkesh

Last edited by Ricky_3007 : 22nd August 2010 at 20:57.
Old 23rd August 2010, 00:00   #49
BHPian

Dear Dr Ji,
IMHO,go in for a used M&M single/double cab 4X4 pikup. Cut open top portion for the sun and light,the rear portion can be modified as per your liking and budget. As regards a silent engine,maybe you can plonk an old scorpio engine (TCIC or later versions). Dr ji,the engine replacement can come as a later addition. In all of the suggestions above very few folks have taken cost in picture. Please refer to the second picture of my pickup in the following URL. If you take the top off, you have loads of space for camera setups etc. My aim is that your initial cost should be less. Engine swaps can wait for a while.
Picasa Web Albums - Andy - Sharavathy

Regards
Andy
Old 23rd August 2010, 13:13   #50
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

You can get one of the Rare TATA Safari Petrol's within your budget. (roughtly) possibly 1.5 - 2L
Fuel effeciency - about 7 kmpl.
It is fairly quite and most comfy.
Get rid of the roof, Half the doors, and rear door, and you have 7-8 seats to start with. For about 2.5L you should be through with all the mods. Exceeds all the requirements that you have placed.
Of course you need to look for a 4WD version.
you also could get a diesel telco line and modify it, or the top of a Sumo for that matter, if diesels are fine with you.
Roof Chopped Safari Deisel with 4WD is a better bet than a Sumo with the 4WD addition proposed.
If you do take a Safari or a Sumo try to get the 90 BHP, TCIC.
A force Trax, or a Gurkha can also be a fine starting point.
Try to get a vehicle with a wide track, and long wheel base.

Last edited by ACM : 23rd August 2010 at 13:17.
Old 23rd August 2010, 13:38   #51
h14
BHPian

How about the Bolero Camper? Attaching a picture of my customized Camper for reference. It does come with 4x4 and is powered by the DI engine...... It also has a 2 door version.
Attached Thumbnails
Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on-ka05-mc-2518.jpg  

Old 23rd August 2010, 14:09   #52
Senior - BHPian

Hm Rtv ??

The FC posts actually led me to believe that the HM RTV could also be a good candidate.

It is designed for rural markets, so service should not be a problem. It is origianally based on a Australian 'OKA' design, which is capable of taking a 4x4 transmission.
The RTV ride height is high, so can serve as a good observation platform and can take about 9 or 10 passengers easily.

HM offers it with a Simpsons Diesel or LPG engine options, with a 2wd Gearbox. wether it can be converted into a 4wd, I leave it to the experts.

http://www.hmrtv.com/

cheers!
Srini
Old 23rd August 2010, 19:22   #53
Senior - BHPian

Dr. Ghosh

Though I do not object to a large 4x4 in forest, think of this analysis as a viable alternative.

- You have two gypsies, hence the number of photographers that can be accommodated with a lot of space are at least 3 x 2 = 6, and 8 if cramped a bit.

- Drivers are not very expensive in India, so two drivers would not be a financial drain. On the other hand you have redundancy and back up built in.

- Diesel engines, especially Di ones are inherently noisy and are being discouraged in many game reserves. Gypsy scores here. Even two Gypsies would in my opinion "drink" less than an alternative petrol in a large vehicle.

- If you stay with Gypsy, you can always add more to cater to future traffic. As long as you have same vehicle, maintenance and operating costs will be reduced per vehicle as numbers increase (fleet effect)

- In a rugged environment a light leaf sprung vehicle scores over heavier spring sprung system. Gypsies are rarely stuck in mud and narrow trails which would bog dow heavier vehicles.
Old 24th August 2010, 04:14   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
What a great video and pic! Someday soon, I'm going to visit TATR with you!
I think Machli (and hence this video) is from Ranthambore not TATR. The striped fellas at Ranthambore are a lot more comfortable around tourists than other forests!

@abheekg: I think you could stretch the gypsy frame by around 12in at the back by removing the rear door and fitting something like what is shown in the "Pink Jeep" post by jeepster. There are already half-a dozen similar gypsies running around in Ranthambore.

This mod allows for a fully kitted out photographer/cameraman in the last row with plenty of manoevering space. but second row space is limited.

Advantage of this approach: The silent crawling abilities and overall manouverability of the petrol Gypsy cannot be understated. The additional overhang is a bit of a bother but it wont be an issue considering the use.

Let me see if i can find a pic of this gypsy mod in my collection.

Last edited by COUGAR : 24th August 2010 at 04:16.
Old 25th August 2010, 14:07   #55
BHPian

[quote=SS-Traveller;2037645]

The short wheelbase FC (81 inch as Google search reveals) has a footprint about the size of (if not smaller than) a Gypsy.
[quote]

Need to find a short wheelbase FC. The ones i have come across so far are monstrous. no idea where i may.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_3007 View Post
Hey Doc,

Another wild suggsstion - Why not to build the structure suggested by Fazal Sir or what you think on our very much awaited THAR?

Tarkesh
Not feasible Tarkesh. Will be too costly even to consider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post
Dear Dr Ji,
IMHO,go in for a used M&M single/double cab 4X4 pikup. Cut open top portion for the sun and light,the rear portion can be modified as per your liking and budget. As regards a silent engine,maybe you can plonk an old scorpio engine (TCIC or later versions). Dr ji,the engine replacement can come as a later addition. In all of the suggestions above very few folks have taken cost in picture. Please refer to the second picture of my pickup in the following URL. If you take the top off, you have loads of space for camera setups etc. My aim is that your initial cost should be less. Engine swaps can wait for a while.
Picasa Web Albums - Andy - Sharavathy

Regards
Andy
Thank you very much Andy. This is defiitely one platform that I am considering if I find one in my budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
You can get one of the Rare TATA Safari Petrol's within your budget. (roughtly) possibly 1.5 - 2L
Fuel effeciency - about 7 kmpl.
It is fairly quite and most comfy.
Get rid of the roof, Half the doors, and rear door, and you have 7-8 seats to start with. For about 2.5L you should be through with all the mods. Exceeds all the requirements that you have placed.
Of course you need to look for a 4WD version.
you also could get a diesel telco line and modify it, or the top of a Sumo for that matter, if diesels are fine with you.
Roof Chopped Safari Deisel with 4WD is a better bet than a Sumo with the 4WD addition proposed.
If you do take a Safari or a Sumo try to get the 90 BHP, TCIC.
A force Trax, or a Gurkha can also be a fine starting point.
Try to get a vehicle with a wide track, and long wheel base.
Thanks for the excellent input. Safari is ruled out because of my tight budget for this project. A Sumo or a Trax yes. No again for the Gurkha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
How about the Bolero Camper? Attaching a picture of my customized Camper for reference. It does come with 4x4 and is powered by the DI engine...... It also has a 2 door version.
a great platform for this project .

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
The FC posts actually led me to believe that the HM RTV could also be a good candidate.

cheers!
Srini
Thanks for the out of the box suggestion but again a big vehicle for this application so a no go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Dr. Ghosh

Though I do not object to a large 4x4 in forest, think of this analysis as a viable alternative.

- You have two gypsies, hence the number of photographers that can be accommodated with a lot of space are at least 3 x 2 = 6, and 8 if cramped a bit.

- Drivers are not very expensive in India, so two drivers would not be a financial drain. On the other hand you have redundancy and back up built in.

- Diesel engines, especially Di ones are inherently noisy and are being discouraged in many game reserves. Gypsy scores here. Even two Gypsies would in my opinion "drink" less than an alternative petrol in a large vehicle.

- If you stay with Gypsy, you can always add more to cater to future traffic. As long as you have same vehicle, maintenance and operating costs will be reduced per vehicle as numbers increase (fleet effect)

- In a rugged environment a light leaf sprung vehicle scores over heavier spring sprung system. Gypsies are rarely stuck in mud and narrow trails which would bog dow heavier vehicles.
A great analysis of the situation and a good advice. The Gypsy fleet will always remain with me. Why not a fleet of these vehicles as well !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
I think Machli (and hence this video) is from Ranthambore not TATR. The striped fellas at Ranthambore are a lot more comfortable around tourists than other forests!

@abheekg: I think you could stretch the gypsy frame by around 12in at the back by removing the rear door and fitting something like what is shown in the "Pink Jeep" post by jeepster. There are already half-a dozen similar gypsies running around in Ranthambore.

This mod allows for a fully kitted out photographer/cameraman in the last row with plenty of manoevering space. but second row space is limited.

Advantage of this approach: The silent crawling abilities and overall manouverability of the petrol Gypsy cannot be understated. The additional overhang is a bit of a bother but it wont be an issue considering the use.

Let me see if i can find a pic of this gypsy mod in my collection.
That vid is indeed from ranthambore. Please try to find that pic and post it here.

A quick question to everybody :

Will a Tata estate vis-a-vis a Trax be a good vehicle for this project ? Asking coz there is both a Tata Estate and a Trax which may be availale for cheap from the Army.
Check out lots 146 and 148 in this excel file. estate and trax lot.xls This auction is happening today so I got to know your inputs asap to decide.
What are the pros and cons of selecting this vehicle?

Whats the GC of an older tempo Trax (not trax Gama) could't find the figure aywhere incuding Force Trax () ? Is it 210mm , same as the Gypsy ?

Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on-128594.jpg

Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on-tempo_trax_010.jpg

I could find out the followig specs about the estate:
Engine
TypeFour-cylinder, in-line, longitudinal location, diesel
1946ccCylinders4Maximum power68bhp @ 4500rpmMaximum torque12 kgm @ 2500rpmDisplacement1948 ccGearbox Manual, 5-Speed

Displacement
Length4,630 mmWidth 1,710 mmGround Clearance170 mm

Is this GC enough ? The Gypsy has a GC of 210mm.
Is there a simple mod to raise the GC of the estate apart from tyre mods ?

And is this vehicle a tata estate ?

Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on-dsc_6019.jpg

Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on-dsc_6021.jpg

Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on-dsc_6025.jpg

Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on-dsc_6026.jpg

Here's a side profile of the ranthambore Gypsy that I had posted earlier in this thread.

Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on-ranthambore-gypsy.jpg

Thanks for all the help friends.

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
Old 25th August 2010, 14:23   #56
BANNED

Hi abheek,

if dont know if it is possible,how about HM Treker with 4wd and a silent engine?

And why are you bent upon IFS? any particular reason

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post2037593

This FC 4wd was available in some location few months back and i also think i saw one in chennai roads.will let you know
Old 25th August 2010, 16:16   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
Yes, and a very nicely+purposefully modified one too... too bad it is not a 4x4.
Old 26th August 2010, 14:13   #58
BHPian

Hi
Why dont you consider a tata sierra? it has good ground clearance and lends itself for immense modification possibilities. This example was advertised on www.carsalesindia.com - price 90K. may be a gud buy if still available - you need to figure out the 4X4 mod though. My suggestion would be to get rid of the back seat and replace it with a wide bench placed in the centre and parallel to the windows. This way the photographers will sit facing the windows in either direction. The swing open doors as seen here can be retained or removed as per the requirement. All the best- happy clicking!
Attached Thumbnails
Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on-sierra.jpg  

Old 27th August 2010, 02:13   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post

Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on-154_0705_01_zjeep_fc_modelschart.jpg

Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on-jeep_fc170_broc2m.jpg

Checked out this short wheel base version again today.
It looks very promising. I would want one of these sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Hi abheek,

And why are you bent upon IFS? any particular reason
Only for the sake of driving comfort on the highways. no other reason. I can also live without this feature for this project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
This FC 4wd was available in some location few months back and i also think i saw one in chennai roads.will let you know
Let me know if you come across one. Would like to pick one for keepsake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Yes, and a very nicely+purposefully modified one too... too bad it is not a 4x4.
I didn't pick the estate in the army auctions and have ruled out the estate for this project because of the low GC.

But the Trax looks very promising. Heard from my mechanic that the engine is virtually bullet proof and these looks.... Aha...

Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on-800pxusmc_fast_attack_vehicle_28ifav29_1.jpg

Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on-gallery18.jpg

Although these pics are of the Merc G-wagon - the vehicle on which the trax is based.

I am now actively searching for a trax too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselone View Post
Hi
Why dont you consider a tata sierra?
The sierra is on my radar. but I hear that its a pain to maintain this vehicle. How true is this ?

How will this http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post2044208 jeep be for this project ? what will it take to convert it to 4wd. sorry for cross posting the same question.

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
Old 28th August 2010, 18:22   #60
Senior - BHPian

why not a army 1 ton

Doc,

Why not an army auction 1 ton similar to what Arka has ? Its a flatbed, allows you to put any configuration of seats, and is proabably has 4x4 ?

cheers!
Srini

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks