Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2010, 22:26   #76
BHPian

dr you can pm mandeep aka renege (pls chk spelling ), he is the one who is instrumental in making kandisa's and my jeep .mine is still under his expert kinfe. both the jeeps are isuzu 1.8 with isuzu 4x4 gearbox
Old 9th September 2010, 00:34   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahultomahawk View Post
dr you can pm mandeep aka renege (pls chk spelling ), he is the one who is instrumental in making kandisa's and my jeep .mine is still under his expert kinfe. both the jeeps are isuzu 1.8 with isuzu 4x4 gearbox
Rahul,

Can you please tell me details of your gearbox. I already have a low milage 1.8 ISZ - Petrol Engine sitting in my house in TVM (from my 1995 Amby). So I want to get a proper gearbox as well and then wait for the rifght MM 550 Body (at least that is my dream for the time being)

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Old 9th September 2010, 07:46   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
Hi
Can you share with me the details of the engine of your jeep ? Although the first prototype is going to be on a Gypsy, however I am still keen to build one more on a jeep chassis with a petrol heart.
Dr. A Ghosh
The engine is Isuzu 4ZB1 1.8L Petrol, the one which used to come in the older contessas. You can get more details on the engine & gearbox in my thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...-mm-440-a.html
Old 9th September 2010, 08:48   #79
BHPian

ram , soumen has answer to your query , he and mandeep are more into technicals .
Old 9th September 2010, 10:52   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahultomahawk View Post
ram , soumen has answer to your query , he and mandeep are more into technicals .
Me into technicals....??? Please don't make me feel ashamed

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Rahul,
Can you please tell me details of your gearbox. I already have a low milage 1.8 ISZ - Petrol Engine sitting in my house in TVM (from my 1995 Amby). So I want to get a proper gearbox as well and then wait for the rifght MM 550 Body (at least that is my dream for the time being)
Ram
Ram, the gearbox is also from Isuzu but its a 4x4 one with Isuzu T-case only. It has high and low ratios though no neutral. Though we are not exactly sure, but most probably its a similar one used in the Isuzu Trooper. The advantage of using the 1.8 and this gearbox is that they are bolt on fitments. You can get more details on my thread. Fazal sir has used the same gearbox for his last jeep project with a diesel engine.
Old 2nd October 2010, 17:28   #81
BHPian

Base vehicle(s) found...... what next ?

Today I came across 3 near scrap condition govt auctioned diesel cj 500d's with 4wd intact and 1 petrol cj4a with 4wd with papers at a scrap yard in Nagpur. Here's the pic of the cj 4a. I am currently negotiating the price for these vehicles.

If I plan to pick one or two of these vehicles, I plan to take the engine out and put a Gypsy 1.3 carb engine and mate it with the existing 4wd mechanism already in place.

Is the above thing possible and feasible ?

Over to you for further enlightenment and gyan.

Last edited by abheekg : 2nd October 2010 at 17:38.
Old 2nd October 2010, 17:43   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today I came across 3 near scrap condition govt auctioned diesel cj 500d's with 4wd intact and 1 petrol cj4a with 4wd with papers at a scrap yard in Nagpur. Here's the pic of the cj 4a. I am currently negotiating the price for these vehicles.

If I plan to pick one or two of these vehicles, I plan to take the engine out and put a Gypsy 1.3 carb engine and mate it with the existing 4wd mechanism already in place.

Is the above thing possible and feasible ?

Over to you for further enlightenment and gyan.
Dr.

The picture of CJ4a has not been up loaded, could you please up load that

Best regards & drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Old 2nd October 2010, 21:53   #83
BHPian

The pics of the cj 4a and a lot of questions

Sorry for not uploading the cj4a pics. Here they are :

Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on-img0033a.jpg

Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on-img0034a.jpg

I am sorry I was carrying my mobile camera and these are the only ones that I could manage.

The price that we could get from the dealer was INR 30,000 per vehicle. These are 1990-1995 models.

He gives me the auction voucher and I can register it in my name from Nagpur RTO. I will have to speak to my rto agent and find out what the reregistration involves. I believe it will not be a great issue and will only involve me paying some tax amount (any idea how much ?) .
Since these vehicles already have registration numbers, I am assuming that the old numbers will be retained (am I right in assuming that ?)

And finally what do you say ? What do I choose ?

[1] Do I pick up the cj4a , retain its original engine, GB and 4wd mechanism, overhaul it and use it as the safari vehicle or shall I remove the original engine which may not give me a good average and consider putting in the Gypsy 1.3L engine while retaining the original GB and 4wd mechanism. Which is practical, feasible and cost efective solution in the long run ?

[2] Do i pick up a diesel cj 500d with 4wd , remove the diesel engine, put in the gypsy 1.3L and mate it with the GB and 4wd mechanism of the cj 500d ?
(personally i would pick up one of both but right now I cant. If only I could find someone who could take one more vehicle with me and keeep it for me to restore it later on)

[3] The scrap dealer also has a lot of other mahindra jeeps ( which I have not seen yet) but he doesn't have papers for them. He's ready to sell the jeeps in scrap condition for Rs. 24,000 and reduce the cost of engine (scrap iron cost @ 200kg for the engine) if I take it engineless.
Is it worthwhile to pick up one of these paperless jeeps and get a PB-47 or any other similar registration made the long distance way ?

Guys I am confused and I need your help as I need to make a token payment by monday ?

Other questions are :

[1] does this price seem right ?
[2] vis a vis petrol vs diesel which one will be in a mechanically better shape - i believe the petrol wud be better overall.
[3] What engine does this cj 4a have considering it has the stock factory engine ?
[4] Whats the efficiency and average of this engine on the cj4a ?
[5] Any other thing that I may be missing ?

Its time to enter phase - 2 of this project and I need your help to decide which one to make my base vehicle for the project.

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
Old 3rd October 2010, 11:02   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

[2] Do i pick up a diesel cj 500d with 4wd , remove the diesel engine, put in the gypsy 1.3L and mate it with the GB and 4wd mechanism of the cj 500d
Why transplant a Gypsy engine into CJ? The Gypsy with that engine is better proposition. Any way you have to do quite some "Jugad" to mate the 1/3L to the rest of the Mahindra vehicle.

The Gypsy engine has less torque and may struggle to pull the heavy CJ.
Old 3rd October 2010, 17:17   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Why transplant a Gypsy engine into CJ? The Gypsy with that engine is better proposition. Any way you have to do quite some "Jugad" to mate the 1/3L to the rest of the Mahindra vehicle.

The Gypsy engine has less torque and may struggle to pull the heavy CJ.
What exact jugaad will be required ?

Please see the first post of this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post2034445 for what I require this vehicle to be.

Please revert with your specific queries.

Dr. A Ghosh

@ everybody else : Please help me with inputs guys.

Last edited by abheekg : 3rd October 2010 at 17:19.
Old 3rd October 2010, 18:29   #86
Senior - BHPian

Hi Doc, i am no expert, but just putting my two bits.

Quote:
......The price that we could get from the dealer was INR 30,000 per vehicle. These are 1990-1995 models.
The price is more or less in the right category i guess. But even more important thing is, do you think the kind of condition the cj4a is (body wise), it is realistically possible to restore it within your estimated budget? Probably more and better quality pics would help.

Quote:
..I believe it will not be a great issue and will only involve me paying some tax amount (any idea how much ?) .
Since these vehicles already have registration numbers, I am assuming that the old numbers will be retained (am I right in assuming that ?)
If these are locally registered, with the help of a suitable agent you can take care of the registration thing. Yes even i think you can retain the number since these are civilian vehicles. As per tax amount is concerned, it should not be too high, though the correct figure can be given by the RTO/agent.

Quote:
....What do I choose ?
[1] Do I pick up the cj4a , retain its original engine, GB and 4wd mechanism, overhaul it and use it as the safari vehicle or shall I remove the original engine which may not give me a good average and consider putting in the Gypsy 1.3L engine while retaining the original GB and 4wd mechanism. Which is practical, feasible and cost efective solution in the long run ?
I think replacing the original engine-G.Box combo with the gypsy counterparts will be better for the long run. Your vehicle will not be used for rigorous offroading and the gypsy engine should not be too underpowered for that purpose. I think another bhpian (Jeepfreak if i am not wrong) has similar set-up in his CJ4a, though he probably has used the gypsy GB and T-case. In your case, you probably will be needing an adapter plate to mate the gypsy engine to the original gbox mechanism of the CJ4a. Why don't you ask him about the performance and the transplant in detail?
And since the similar transplant has been done by him, i would suggest to go for the CJ4a way than to pick up the CJ500d. Finally there is no point in using a tractor engine in a jungle safari vehicle, so go the petrol way.

Quote:
...[3] The scrap dealer also has a lot of other mahindra jeeps ( which I have not seen yet) but he doesn't have papers for them. He's ready to sell the jeeps in scrap condition for Rs. 24,000 and reduce the cost of engine (scrap iron cost @ 200kg for the engine) if I take it engineless.
Is it worthwhile to pick up one of these paperless jeeps and get a PB-47 or any other similar registration made the long distance way ?
Don't go for a paperless jeep even if that costs bit lesser. PB47 thing is going to take a good amount of time and it will not be easy to co-ordinate things from your place. Its always better to go for those locally registered jeeps with papers.
Old 4th October 2010, 09:27   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What exact jugaad will be required ?

Please see the first post of this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post2034445 for what I require this vehicle to be.

Please revert with your specific queries.

Dr. A Ghosh

@ everybody else : Please help me with inputs guys.
Hi Doc,

I was referring to my posts - 53, 63 & 69. I will recap my stream of thought
. For Hiring out, one type of vehicle is preferred to a diverse type from the point of view of logistics and maintenance, especially when it is to operate in remote area.
. Petrol engined vehicles are preferred to diesel vehicles for discrete viewing in dense forests
. The Gypsy is relatively light, narrow and silent vehicle which would have advantage over larger vehicles in dense forests. This is one of the reasons that Landrover Defenders, with their narrow profile, are preferred in the dense African Jungle. Larger vehicles are usually used in open brush land.

Hence if Gypsy has everything going for it, why transplant its engine to a heavier vehicle and loose all the advantages of a narrow nimble vehicle?
Old 4th October 2010, 23:27   #88
BHPian

My response in bold
And finally what do you say ? What do I choose ?

Go for it, may be a little more bargaining. If this vehicle will be parked and not used everyday or weekly then retaining original engine and GB doesnt make any sense for obvious reasons, Hurricane engines are not one of the most user friendly engines and not every guy knows how to fix it anymore, So with a very heavy heart i would suggest you let the engine and GB go.
You can retain the original GB and mate an adapter plate with the engine but it wont be a very smooth ride, i have driven a few jeeps with this setup and going beyond 70 kmph you can distinctly GB making a humming sound and it can get annoying at times.

[2] Do i pick up a diesel cj 500d with 4wd , remove the diesel engine, put in the gypsy 1.3L and mate it with the GB and 4wd mechanism of the cj 500d ?
(personally i would pick up one of both but right now I cant. If only I could find someone who could take one more vehicle with me and keeep it for me to restore it later on)

I believe both 500D and CJ4a has the same T90 GB (3 Speed + 1 Reverse), so makes no sense, unless you want a diesel engine. Go for a gypsy king setup (engine + GB) believe you me, it will be a pleasure, also it has got enough torque to do what a gypsy or mahindra can do.

[3] The scrap dealer also has a lot of other mahindra jeeps ( which I have not seen yet) but he doesn't have papers for them. He's ready to sell the jeeps in scrap condition for Rs. 24,000 and reduce the cost of engine (scrap iron cost @ 200kg for the engine) if I take it engineless.

If he has a CJ3b, let me know i will pick one up.

Guys I am confused and I need your help as I need to make a token payment by monday ?

Other questions are :

[1] does this price seem right ? Bargain more
[2] vis a vis petrol vs diesel which one will be in a mechanically better shape - i believe the petrol wouldbe better overall. Petrol anyday
[3] What engine does this cj 4a have considering it has the stock factory engine ? Hurricane petrol, same that you have in CJ3b.
[4] Whats the efficiency and average of this engine on the cj4a ? Well tuned engine has given me an average of 11-13 kmpl and the same engine has given an average of 4-5 kmpl , some amateur mech tried to set the carb. Its an amazing engine if its well tuned, if not it can be a nightmare.
[5] Any other thing that I may be missing ?
Call me doc ... we can talk about it.
Its time to enter phase - 2 of this project and I need your help to decide which one to make my base vehicle for the project.

- Fahad

Last edited by Jeepfreak : 4th October 2010 at 23:31.
Old 5th October 2010, 12:39   #89
Senior - BHPian

Restore

Quote:
Hi Doc,

Please pick up the CJ4A and restore it mechanically and then the body and aesthetics.

After that you can add the your personal requirements.

Regards,

Arka
Old 5th October 2010, 15:58   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Do I pick up the cj4a , retain its original engine, GB and 4wd mechanism, overhaul it and use it as the safari vehicle or shall I remove the original engine which may not give me a good average and consider putting in the Gypsy 1.3L engine while retaining the original GB and 4wd mechanism. Which is practical, feasible and cost efective solution in the long run ?
Dr. Ghosh, now that you have picked up the CJ4A with its Hurricane petrol engine, why do you want to go looking for a Gypsy engine to plonk in there? The original engine is a 2.2L, and I don't see the logic behind replacing it with a 1.0L or a 1.3L.

Reliability? A well-repaired Hurricane is as reliable as any other. Cost per km? The money you save by avoiding an engine transplant, can be used to pay the extra required to run the vehicle for the next couple of years, versus the Gypsy engine (in any case, those aren't too economical to run either).

Quick fix cost saver: I'd suggest you run it on industrial or auto LPG, whichever is available conveniently nearby. LPG kits can come for as low as 5k, and industrial/auto LPG @32-35INR/litre will give you almost similar FE to petrol.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks