Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2011, 22:15   #121
BHPian

Re: Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on

This Landy is Allan's
Old 9th March 2011, 22:38   #122
BHPian

Re: Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on

yes its from our stable,
original chassis but body has been modified
v8 petrol
its a 6 wheel drive, and all 3 differentials are locable
Old 10th March 2011, 14:54   #123
Senior - BHPian

Doc,

what is the latest on this vehicle ? last heard of was that it was being done up in Hyderabad ?

cheers!
Old 11th March 2011, 00:46   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
this is not an original example , its made/modified in India (AFAIK )

anyways , ask Allan - he might be knowing about this .

Sudarshan
Clearly the body is modified. But the 6x6 does exist. Its called LR Perentie. Many have never heard of the name.
Old 11th March 2011, 07:09   #125
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Clearly the body is modified. But the 6x6 does exist. Its called LR Perentie. Many have never heard of the name.
K , this is not that , I know the LR 6x6 ( even trying to sort out one > future plans )

This is surely not the Perentie , AFAIK this also has some Jeep parts , this may be better mechanically sorted out but not the original one ( again AFAIK )

May be Allan can show us the underpinnings ( if its not secret )

Sudarshan
Old 11th March 2011, 22:30   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
K , this is not that , I know the LR 6x6 ( even trying to sort out one > future plans )

May be Allan can show us the underpinnings ( if its not secret )

Sudarshan
Hello,

There are some interesting things about Perentie (may be most of you know this, any way its here for those who doen't know)

The Land Rover Perentie is a vehicle in use by the Australian Aramy produced in Australia and based on the Defender 110. It was introduced in 1987 to replace the ageing fleet of Series 2 & 3, and is still in service. Produced in 4x4 and 6x6 variants and powered by an Isuzu 3.9 litre four cylinder diesel engine, it has proven itself both in Australia and on overseas military operations.

The major differences from British Land Rovers are the relocation of the spare wheel to under the rear of the load area, a galvanised chassis and the Isuzu engine, which was also commonly used in the 1980s on Australian-built long-wheelbase civilian versions of the Series and Defender Land Rovers.

The 6 x 6 version has a wider cab and rear axles. The 6 x 6 also has a turbo. The original order was for 2,500 4 x 4 and 400 6 x 6 vehicles between 1987 and 1990; further vehicles were added later under Project Bushranger.

(Courtesy: Wikipedia)

The third axle is driven from the transfer case power takeoff (PTO). It passes over the second axle and incorporates a c.v. joint at this point.

(Courtsey: www.ebroadcast.com.au)

Hope you enjoy this trivia

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 11th March 2011 at 22:34.
Old 28th April 2011, 21:42   #127
BHPian

Reigniting this thread after months of silence.
Base vehicle has been procured - a 1994 MG410 narrow track - at a throwaway price.
The vehicle is getting converted into use for the jungles and become more efficient.

List of work planned:

1) changing delco from original japanese (parts availability problem) to TVS-lucas type
2) 1 inch lift at the back by re-tensioning the leaf springs.
3) front half doors
4) modifying the rear seating and adding support points for wildlife photographers

Here are a few pics of the vehicle :

Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on-sanjay-pench-maharashtra-1371.jpg

Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on-sanjay-pench-maharashtra-1508.jpg

Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on-sanjay-pench-maharashtra-1536.jpg

Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on-sanjay-pench-maharashtra-1550.jpg

Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on-sanjay-pench-maharashtra-1375.jpg

Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on-sanjay-pench-maharashtra-1379.jpg

Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on-sanjay-pench-maharashtra-1391.jpg

And a few pics of the rear seating concept (taken from a jungle gypsy) whose arrangement I have liked the most till date.

Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on-dscn1463.jpg

Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on-dscn1464.jpg

Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on-dscn1468.jpg

Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on-dscn6367.jpg

I am planning to use Galvanised Iron Pipes to make the frame so that it does not break due to the extensive jungle use.

The other simple design is this :

Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on-35544_1202876490603_1789337166_388586_3879451_n.jpg

Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on-30753_1185750342460_1789337166_353714_2355745_n.jpg

Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on-ranthambore-gypsy.jpg

The three tired seating at the back which we have discussed at length is not happening and I feel its best to stick to a two - tired system

Name:  untitled.bmp
Views: 2199
Size:  772.1 KB

This thread again needs the expert opinion of experienced Jeep builders like Fazal saab and others to make sure that the structure I am planning for the back of the gypsy is mechanically and structurally sound.

A peculiar issue that i need to address during the design of the rear seating is that this vehicle is presently equipped with an external 50 litre gas tank as a part of the LPG kit - which I want to retain and not remove.

See this pic for the location of the gas tank :
Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on-sanjay-pench-maharashtra-642.jpg
(Don't be alarmed by the gun in this pic. I was on a monitoring visit with some armed forest guards.)

How do I keep the gas tank and at the same time ensure that the front row passanger has adequate leg room and room to generally move around. Do I have to elevate the level of the seating ? What can I do ? How should I design this ?

Looking forward to all the help. I want to get this build completed in 1 week and start my Tadoba explorations.

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh

Last edited by abheekg : 28th April 2011 at 21:56.
Old 28th April 2011, 23:08   #128
BHPian

@doctorji,
is it possible to push the gas tank under the second row of seats?

Regards
Old 29th April 2011, 07:55   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
A peculiar issue that i need to address during the design of the rear seating is that this vehicle is presently equipped with an external 50 litre gas tank as a part of the LPG kit - which I want to retain and not remove.
Hi Doc,

The best location is as it stands, else, please remove the same. Running on LPG lowers the FE and power and is not as comfortable as running on petrol, especially when it comes to Gypsies.

Would love to do the Jungle trails in your area sometime!!
Old 29th April 2011, 11:18   #130
BHPian

@abheek - goodluck on your project, it seems very interesting, i will be following this thread for updates. One suggestion is maybe talk with xtreme_power i.e. Allan, he is very good with these projects and a very nice person, he will help you out incase you need help.
Old 29th April 2011, 13:03   #131
Senior - BHPian

Dr. Ghosh,

Simplicity of design translates into uncomplicated fabrication.

The Gypsy with the rear extension is practical, copy that, raise the last seat to accommodate the gas tank. The step ladders too are well positioned.

Don't further stretch the body dimensions outward, instead get the gear out of the body by adding 4 mono pods, two on each side. This design will accommodate the biggest and heaviest lens outward without photographers hitting each others face.

The removable and extend-able mono pods are there when you need them and can be removed, when you don't.

Hope it helps.
Regards,

Placement for mono pods.
Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on-dscn1464.jpg
Details of construction
Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on-photo-arm.jpg
Old 2nd May 2011, 01:45   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Don't further stretch the body dimensions outward, instead get the gear out of the body by adding 4 mono pods, two on each side. This design will accommodate the biggest and heaviest lens outward without photographers hitting each others face.

The removable and extend-able mono pods are there when you need them and can be removed, when you don't.
Fazal saab, the outward projections arent really going to benefit me unless they allow the camera to be positioned at the eye level while sitting. Frankly speaking, I wouldnt find it as a comfortable shooting position since it would mean that I will have to lean out of the jeep to look through the viewfinder. This may be an okay idea if you can mount the camera on this projection using a fluid/ball/gimbal head and shoot using live view but not for people who use viewfinders.

I have seen something similar to what you're suggesting being used in the african safari jeeps. But that was for a personalized vehicle which had a high def video camera and another long lens mounted with a still camera on a fluid head. It suits the terrain since there arent bushes that you need to go through in africa, its more open land there. In our kind of terrain, you'd have a big risk of bumping the lens on a tree if it is projecting out of the jeep.

Personally speaking, you can comfortably fit one long lens camera at the back and at max two. More than that is chaos! You'll can think of provisions for two big guns at the back while the others will have to shoot hand held.

I find the roll cage to be a better utility to position the camera at various angles and still be able to look through the viewfinder in 90% situations. Again, there may be people who use monopods and for them, even if you have a step like projection to rest the monopod just at the edge of the jeep, it should do the job!

Dr Abheek, I found your jeep that Bablu drives to be good enough for the purpose. May be you can just replicate the same thing.

PS. from my experience, the bolero campers make a good safari vehicle with side facing seats behind in the luggage space. The middle row seat is also quite good if it kept open to sky.
amolpol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2011, 06:14   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
the bolero campers make a good safari vehicle with side facing seats behind in the luggage space. The middle row seat is also quite good if it kept open to sky.
The engine makes a racket though - Petrols are best when it comes to Jungles IMO!
Old 21st May 2011, 03:41   #134
BHPian

+1 The Petrols are always a better choice when it comes to not scaring off the wildlife!
Old 28th November 2014, 18:04   #135

hey guys saw some new off roaders made for jungle safaris . have a look .
Attached Thumbnails
Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on-2.jpg  

d280 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks