Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2010, 22:11   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
...a few Jeep FC's
Now we're making sense. Forget the Trekker 4WD conversion - IMO not feasible, at least not at your FNG.
Old 8th October 2010, 22:48   #107
BHPian

+1 to the FC Jeep idea.
Old 9th October 2010, 07:04   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What will it take to convert this into a 4wd system ? [vikram your inputs are needed here as you owned a vehicle for long and are the best person to advise]
Quote:
Min.GroundClearance 203mm : This is a good GC..IMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Is in't the whole platform (of Trekker) too low for a vehicle intended for "jungle safari". Though it is wider than a jeep/gypsy one, it would require a lot of mod to increase the heigt as well.
Sir. Can you explain the minimum height required for a jungle safari vehicle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Ram, You are right. The only way the GC can be increased is by bigger tyres. For better articulation work on SPoA etc. can be done. Trekker somehow has a good safari vehicle appeal if done up the right way.
Quote:
In its present avataar yes the Trekker in a little low on GC. But I believe with a little bit of effort, it can become an excellent vehicle for the purpose intended. After all it is a famed people hauler.

Its great to see you take such a keen interest in the Trekker sir. If its available for something like 15-20k then it would make another excellent low cost option for the base vehicle. Add slightly bigger tyres (15k) , change of heart to petrol with 4wd (30-35k) with the gypsy 1.3L or isuzu 1.8L setup, bodywork (15k) ,registration certificate endorsement with insurance (15-20k) and miscellaneous (20k) , its still not way off budget (1.25L) for this project.

What would doing a Spoa cost for the Tekker ? can it be done in the micsellaneuos 20k budget ?

Fazal saab and Vikram, how does this arithmatic and line of thinking sound.

Can this be done ?
Firstly, a GC of 200+ mm is not low IMO.

second: Picking up a trekker and plonking a 4wd tranny with a engine has been a wish which i have been living with - Have not put any serious effort into the same!

Third: @ Abheekg: Sir: SPOA is for a different application and unless done with correct maths, will lead to reliability issues !
Old 9th October 2010, 10:52   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Now we're making sense. Forget the Trekker 4WD conversion - IMO not feasible, at least not at your FNG.
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
+1 to the FC Jeep idea.
As I have already expressed, The FC is one vehicle which I will definitely procure at one point of time and keep forever. It may not happen now or on an immediate basis as I have this project on hand apart from the Petrol jeep restoration which I will also initiate shortly. I will take stock of this December auction and update all of you. I will pick up an FC only if I find it complete with the 4wd mechanism which I think may not be that easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Sir. Can you explain the minimum height required for a jungle safari vehicle?

For jungle safari vehicle the specificatons of the Gypsy is considered to be the Gold standard. Hence for this project , we are looking at a minimum GC of 215mm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Firstly, a GC of 200+ mm is not low IMO.

second: Picking up a trekker and plonking a 4wd tranny with a engine has been a wish which i have been living with - Have not put any serious effort into the same!

Third: @ Abheekg: Sir: SPOA is for a different application and unless done with correct maths, will lead to reliability issues !
Sir I understand the technical difficulties of the spoa setup and would like to avoid going into a super complicated setup for this project if I can.

A cornerstone of this project is that the vehicle has to be reliable and easily reparable in remote areas where it will run all its service life after being built.

Having known that the Trekker is close to your heart and you have seen this vehicle from very close quarters, I wanted to involve yo in this discussion.

If we talk of only changing the trekker heart to petrol with 4wd mechanism, what do you think should be my line of thought and planning for the same ?

@ everybody else: Do let me know if you come across a Trekker for sale somewhere.

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
Old 9th October 2010, 12:13   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If we talk of only changing the trekker heart to petrol with 4wd mechanism, what do you think should be my line of thought and planning for the same ?
A simple and economical solution is to plonk the 1800 ISZ Mpfi in the trekker and mate it to a Isuzu 4WD GB.

The easier part is getting the MPFI engine, the difficult part is the ISUZU 4WD GB and associated drivetrain etc.

But if done, it will be a dream vehicle that would be reliable!

Cheers
Old 9th October 2010, 12:39   #111
BHPian

@headers: I have access to a 1.8 carb isuzu engine with a 4wd tranny available on a weeks notice from delhi if ever needed. I have mechanics here who have carb expertise but I have no clue about what it takes to do a mpfi conversion.

Please do update if you find any trekkers for sale.

Also update on how to do the simple coil spring conversion on the trekker that you were talking about.

Dr. A Ghosh
Old 9th October 2010, 13:00   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The FC is one vehicle which I will definitely procure at one point of time and keep forever.
...the Petrol jeep restoration which I will also initiate shortly.
I will pick up an FC only if I find it complete with the 4wd mechanism which I think may not be that easy.
@Dr Ghosh: I think we have a seriously confusing situation here.

You picked up a good CJ4A, hunting for your jungle safari vehicle. Then you decided not to use it for that purpose. Instead you want to restore and keep it as a part of a classic collection.

You get the option to pick up an FC, and you want it in 4WD guise, when converting it from an existing 2WD to 4WD is technically less challenging than trying to convert a Trekker to 4WD, which as yet is uncharted territory. And then you say you want to restore and keep it forever, implying it's not going to see jungle safari duty.

And you now want a Trekker of all things, to convert to petrol and 4WD, and use as your jungle safari vehicle.

Could we all take a few long, deep breaths, and have you explain why you would want a Trekker for safari use, and preserve an FC + a CJ4A as a part of your classic collection? Would using an FC/CJ4A undermine its classic nature or monetary value?
Old 9th October 2010, 13:29   #113
BHPian

After taking a long deep breath (needed that after reading your post) I must admit that its indeed confusing with so many options around (each one equally interesting, seemingly doable and every one fitting the project requirement).

Let me put it this way.I want to keep the CJ,a Trekker,also the FC & another low priced Gypsy 1L, look to keep the CJ stock & try to use the remaining vehicles for Jungle use.

In the long term plan, I need atleast 1 vehicle stationed in every Tiger Reserve around Nagpur.

AG.
Old 9th October 2010, 13:37   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I need atleast 1 vehicle stationed in every Tiger Reserve around Nagpur.
Now, that explains it. The project is for multiple vehicles! How many FCs are for sale at that auction? Bid for them all!!!

Quote:
...a long deep breath (needed that after reading your post)...
Good for the health!
Old 9th October 2010, 14:22   #115
BHPian

@sstraveller: Sir I was not allowed to inspect as the auction has not been officially announced but from a distance I could see atleast 2 FC based ambulances standing (would that be the LWB? ) apart from a squadron full of 540s. Not sure if there are any of the FC trucks there. Will try to post a satellite grab shot if possible of the depot.

And the auction is not going to happen any earlier than December.

Hence I was evaluating so many other options.

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
Old 9th October 2010, 16:23   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@headers: I have access to a 1.8 carb isuzu engine with a 4wd tranny available on a weeks notice from delhi if ever needed. I have mechanics here who have carb expertise but I have no clue about what it takes to do a mpfi conversion.

Please do update if you find any trekkers for sale.

Also update on how to do the simple coil spring conversion on the trekker that you were talking about.

Dr. A Ghosh
Sir, Just grab the 1.8 isuzu engine and GB. The rest are all easy!! Check with your source which front axle he could spare for the 4WD conversion. you need the front axle, front prop shaft etc to have a successful 4wd conversion.

In the meanwhile I will also look around for a Trekker !

Whether 1.8 MPFI or carb does not matter. What matters is the engine mounting points, GB-Engine mating points, axles with the corresponding axle ratio matched to the 4wd GB.

cheers
Old 1st January 2011, 09:50   #117
Senior - BHPian

Re: Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on

found some pictures of hunting jeep but it can be good safari vehicle too.
Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on-dsc01352.jpg

Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on-dsc01354.jpg

Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on-dsc01355.jpg

Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on-dsc01363.jpg

Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on-dsc01364.jpg
Old 9th March 2011, 15:13   #118
BHPian

Re: Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on

Hello Everyone!

I saw this petrol Land Rover Defender based safari vehicle in Noida yesterday. It was registered in Uttarkhand.

I like the twin rear axles, the fold-able spotter's chair on the bonnet and the water canister near the tailgate on the left!

Since its an old-ish vehicle, I looked for pics on team-bhp, but couldn't find any and so I thought this may be a useful contribution to this thread!
Attached Thumbnails
Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on-08032011077.jpg  

Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on-08032011079.jpg  

Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on-08032011080.jpg  

Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on-08032011081.jpg  

Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on-08032011082.jpg  

Old 9th March 2011, 21:02   #119
Senior - BHPian

This example was posted long ago by someone , i can't recall who it was.

This is a very rare example.

Anyone recall that thread?? He also had a Coil Over converted Gypsy.
Old 9th March 2011, 21:44   #120
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
This example was posted long ago by someone

this is not an original example , its made/modified in India (AFAIK )

anyways , ask Allan - he might be knowing about this .

Sudarshan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks