Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2010, 21:32   #16
BHPian

Doctor, I have see the 3 row Gypsy done tastefully at Kanha I believe it was from Tuli resort, they did extend the last seat and it was spacious with camera tripods arrangement, may be you want to recall or have a look at it. You will also have to look at most of the Jungle are avoiding older "diesel" [but petrol does work] vehicles because of environment reasons, even though this is not the case at tadoba now but it will not be so long by looking tourist inflow at tadoba.
So all this "hybrid" vehicle would make it difficult to get it going, I still believe you would be better off with Gypsies!!

-Pramod
Old 19th August 2010, 22:03   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Hi Dr. Ghosh,

You need to put the highway comfort aside which can only be applicable to the driver and passenger seat, as there will not undergo any change.

The rear end will need a complete transformation to accommodate the stepped seating in 3 rows.

Don't bother about IFS and other creature comforts as this is purely a field vehicle. Go for one which has a long chassis in the Mahindra range suggested by Arka, as they are easy to maintain and parts availability in remote areas are better than Gypsies, Sumo etc. Low running cost.

Maxx Pickup, Bolero SC Pickup or Bolero Camper (all with 4WD) are the vehicles you can narrow down upon as these are powerful load carriers and being commercial vehicles finding parts for these won't be a problem.

Rent out a place for a garage in a village near the forest (the one you propose to frequent most) and keep it parked there instead of driving Nagpur-Pench-Tadoba-Bandharvgarh and back. Time to time you can relocate it.

For the transformation send it to Hyderabad and I will give you back something beyond your imagination, with knock-out seats which an be removed for lesser tourist with more equipment or bigger lenses.

Oh yes! this is a very valid point put forward by Pramod: "because of environment reasons, even though this is not the case at tadoba now but it will not be so long by looking tourist inflow at tadoba". For eg. MP Pench does not allow diesel vehicles like Maharashtra Pench does.
Regards,
A very Valid point Pramod.

So whats the verdict sir ?
Shall I then go for a used maxx pickup or a mahindra savari ? And what do we do about the engine ? Find a less noisy diesel or think of finding a petrol solution ? As discussed apriori, the vehicle will indeed be sent under your guidance for the final touches

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
Old 19th August 2010, 22:05   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
You will also have to look at most of the Jungle are avoiding older "diesel" [but petrol does work] vehicles because of environment reasons, even though this is not the case at tadoba now but it will not be so long by looking tourist inflow at tadoba.
A petrol is preferred as it is silent than a diesel engine. I doubt it has got anything to do with the environment. Infact the Diesels are more environment friendly than the petrols.

Also, for watching animals, to crawl up the jungle,a petrol engine is more capable.

Ofcourse, modern common rail ones are good too!!
Old 19th August 2010, 22:23   #19
Senior - BHPian

I see Gypsy as the only option, good for jungles and off road too.
Old 20th August 2010, 08:33   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Infact the Diesels are more environment friendly than the petrols.
Vikram,
You are so very right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post

Dr. Ghosh,

A Mahindra man promoting MUL, I too think you should go for it instead of swapping engines doing rebuilds will surely cost you more than your target, which will only be realized after the project is completed.

The SWB Gypsy has time and time again proved to be the best in maneuverability in the jungles tracks (only a Cj-3b an beat it). Get two 1.4L Gypsies from army auctions and build them.

Have foldout arms for camera mono-pods outside the body line of the Gypsy, this will solve the problem of extra room for long or over sized gear.
Regards,

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 20th August 2010 at 08:35.
Old 20th August 2010, 09:43   #21
BANNED

Mahindra Fan club thread in the making.

Who says TATA engines are too noisy. Has anyone driven the TATA Telcoline, though being a diesel, its almost noiseless, just because the new TL is launched, one can get the older version within 5 lacs, and spend the rest of budget on modification.

Else, go find an old TATA Safari Petrol, which has the most reliable enignes and does not make any noise. can come under 3-4 lac budget, spend the rest on whatever you require.
Old 20th August 2010, 09:55   #22
BHPian

For easy maintenance and higher reliability go for Gypsy it has a silent petrol engine and already proved its ability in Jungle trials.

Is there any problem with stretching the Gypsy body to 15 to 20”? If possible it will satisfy all your needs.
Old 20th August 2010, 12:09   #23
BHPian

+1 to Sreejeshmp.Dr gosh should only go for Gypsy for the mentioned use as it is the vehicle for that.I just completed my 2nd solo long drive Bglre-kochi-Bglre via valparai-Sholyar forest with out any single service center visist.I did my last visist in Jult 14th this time on aug 12th almost 30 days later(almost 3000km in 30 days+ regular usage).Pls make a note the same vechile i use for OTR s in bglre.Mine is a 15 yr OLD MG410 Stock.

Fazal saab,can we have some idea as how we can modify the gyspsy for Dr Gosh's jungle trail.?

Raj
Old 20th August 2010, 15:19   #24
BHPian

Wow!!

Hi Doc ,

In your pics That is Kaustubh standing in front of his TATA . I can understand what are you looking at because I have seen Kaustubh driving his TATA in Kanha when I was ther for 3 days in Taj Safari - Banjaar Tola.

Attached is the pic when I was in Kanha in Feb , You can see kaustubh taking out his lenses when we got the new of spotting Tiger . Good memories!!!!

Just wild suggestion, why dont you find some of Jongas? Petrol - Silent , Powerful and big enough But these will be Guzzlers and put big hole in your pocket.

Tarkesh
Attached Thumbnails
Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on-kanha-1.jpg  

Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on-kanha-2.jpg  

Old 20th August 2010, 15:22   #25
BHPian

Quote:
.. Infact the Diesels are more environment friendly than the petrols.
!!

How come ? Sorry for my knowleged?

Tarkesh
Old 20th August 2010, 17:14   #26
BHPian

Quote:
A petrol is preferred as it is silent than a diesel engine. I doubt it has got anything to do with the environment. Infact the Diesels are more environment friendly than the petrols.

Also, for watching animals, to crawl up the jungle,a petrol engine is more capable.

Ofcourse, modern common rail ones are good too!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Quote:
Vikram,
You are so very right.

Dr. Ghosh,

A Mahindra man promoting MUL, I too think you should go for it instead of swapping engines doing rebuilds will surely cost you more than your target, which will only be realized after the project is completed.

The SWB Gypsy has time and time again proved to be the best in maneuverability in the jungles tracks (only a Cj-3b an beat it). Get two 1.4L Gypsies from army auctions and build them.

Have foldout arms for camera mono-pods outside the body line of the Gypsy, this will solve the problem of extra room for long or over sized gear.
Regards,
True Vikram, Vinod and Fazal saab. But what if I WANT a diesel just for the sake of my whim [boys will be boys thing] , then what vehicle should it be in this budget range ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Mahindra Fan club thread in the making.

Who says TATA engines are too noisy. Has anyone driven the TATA Telcoline, though being a diesel, its almost noiseless, just because the new TL is launched, one can get the older version within 5 lacs, and spend the rest of budget on modification.

Else, go find an old TATA Safari Petrol, which has the most reliable enignes and does not make any noise. can come under 3-4 lac budget, spend the rest on whatever you require.
I am interested to know about this TATA Safari Petrol and the engine it ran and whether it came with 4wd and whether it can be fitted with a 4wd and whether this engine can go into any of the mahindra bodies that we are considernig and what will be the cost of this secobd habd engine assy? (too many questions in a single sentence !! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
For easy maintenance and higher reliability go for Gypsy it has a silent petrol engine and already proved its ability in Jungle trials.

Is there any problem with stretching the Gypsy body to 15 to 20”? If possible it will satisfy all your needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajachu View Post
+1 to Sreejeshmp.Dr gosh should only go for Gypsy for the mentioned use as it is the vehicle for that.I just completed my 2nd solo long drive Bglre-kochi-Bglre via valparai-Sholyar forest with out any single service center visist.I did my last visist in Jult 14th this time on aug 12th almost 30 days later(almost 3000km in 30 days+ regular usage).Pls make a note the same vechile i use for OTR s in bglre.Mine is a 15 yr OLD MG410 Stock.

Fazal saab,can we have some idea as how we can modify the gyspsy for Dr Gosh's jungle trail.?

Raj

Last option if diesel doesn't work out for me will be this. I already have this option. I just have to modify the rear bay of one of my gypsies uder the stewardship of Fazal saab. But I want to really keep it as my last option and look for some diesel solution if there is any.

Is there any way I can increase the width of the Gypsy as well by some simple maneuver ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_3007 View Post
Hi Doc ,

In your pics That is Kaustubh standing in front of his TATA . I can understand what are you looking at because I have seen Kaustubh driving his TATA in Kanha when I was ther for 3 days in Taj Safari - Banjaar Tola.

Attached is the pic when I was in Kanha in Feb , You can see kaustubh taking out his lenses when we got the new of spotting Tiger . Good memories!!!!

Just wild suggestion, why dont you find some of Jongas? Petrol - Silent , Powerful and big enough But these will be Guzzlers and put big hole in your pocket.

Tarkesh
There you see - Tarkesh has understood my point of view as he has been in the same situation where I find myself every weekend
I just need more space around in the vehicle !!

Jonga may work but not with the stock engine which will e terribly uneconomical - but why not an old Jonga with a diesel heart and a working 4wd ?? How will this thing cost and work out guys ? I can get some old ex army jongas for cheap - ut the I wanted to avoid ex army vehicles and the restoration process for this project.

Some other ideas guys ?

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
Old 20th August 2010, 20:58   #27
Senior - BHPian

Dr. Ghosh,
Why do you need to extend the tub when you can keep it as it is and yet get more room for passengers and equipment?

Extend the rear by 3-4 feet overall (3 sides right, left and rear) by heavy gauge pipe rail as in figure so that photographers an lean on it and get themselves outwards for photography which will be done mostly in stationary mode.

Fabricate sturdy angled pillars for them to fit their cameras on (snap on type) this way the lenses will be out of the tub area and also secure, which will leave more room for passengers.

Two such collapsible (drop down type) on each side are more than enough, as the cameras can swivel in the direction of the subject, not all will have super zooms, they can shoot hand-held.

The seats can be three tiered and the pillar provision only for the first and third row, center guys an do hand held photography.

The rear will be able to accommodate 6 guys who won't get in each others way, unless the subject is on one side of the vehicle only.

I don't do any drawings before planned modification, but here I am trying and its bad.

NOTE: Seats not in figure, so the rail will raise as it goes to the rear, in profile with the seat heights.
Regards,
Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on-dsc02399a.jpg

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 20th August 2010 at 21:02.
Old 20th August 2010, 21:35   #28
Senior - BHPian

Top view of the same design.

The approx. placement of the camera body which would be protruding out of the vehicle body line could be about 2 feet + lens.
Name:  untitled.bmp
Views: 3707
Size:  772.1 KB

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 20th August 2010 at 21:41.
Old 20th August 2010, 22:11   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Dr. Ghosh,
Why do you need to extend the tub when you can keep it as it is and yet get more room for passengers and equipment?

Extend the rear by 3-4 feet overall (3 sides right, left and rear) by heavy gauge pipe rail as in figure so that photographers an lean on it and get themselves outwards for photography which will be done mostly in stationary mode.

Fabricate sturdy angled pillars for them to fit their cameras on (snap on type) this way the lenses will be out of the tub area and also secure, which will leave more room for passengers.

Two such collapsible (drop down type) on each side are more than enough, as the cameras can swivel in the direction of the subject, not all will have super zooms, they can shoot hand-held.

The seats can be three tiered and the pillar provision only for the first and third row, center guys an do hand held photography.

The rear will be able to accommodate 6 guys who won't get in each others way, unless the subject is on one side of the vehicle only.

I don't do any drawings before planned modification, but here I am trying and its bad.

NOTE: Seats not in figure, so the rail will raise as it goes to the rear, in profile with the seat heights.
Regards,
Attachment 410336
Quote:
Top view of the same design.

The approx. placement of the camera body which would be protruding out of the vehicle body line could be about 2 feet + lens.
Attachment 410350
now that you put it so lucidly modifying the rear of the gypsy starts making more sense again.
but to accomodate 3 rows of seats we need to extend the 3rd row out of the body behind the gypsy.
I have liked the seating arrangement in this particular gypsy.
Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on-4938_1015452005108_1789337166_29573_7246243_n.jpg

Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on-22047_1097086525920_1789337166_196169_7304213_n.jpg

Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on-30753_1185750342460_1789337166_353714_2355745_n.jpg

Thinking Aloud : 4wd Offroad capable Jungle Safari vehicle.....the build is on-35544_1202876490603_1789337166_388586_3879451_n.jpg
We just need another row. you idea of metal pipes to extend the width is very very interesting.

I am game for this.
But if someone has some great idea for a diesel vehicle I would like to try it out too.

How about an old Trax as the base vehicle ?

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
Old 21st August 2010, 00:08   #30
Senior - BHPian

If 2wd will do. Why not TATA spacio open top.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks