Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2010, 13:21   #361
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar MDi Thread (more pics at page 24)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
Waiting eagerly for the 4x4 to be here..

Answers:
No confirmation on the price of 4x4..
Sorry, I didn't asked..
CRDe has Power steering, didn't asked for option in MDI..
Yes, the tyres were too small, whole jeep looked very low due to that. With 7 50 x 16 it will go much higher..
No black color for the MDI 4x2 [thanks god] there'll be more color choice in the Thar.
No Test drive today. I had to come back to my office.. [a quick bunk]

We all know the body is 55O, but looking at a new one was totally different. The paint job is very good. Thick and glowing [not matt like Major]. Can take a lot of bush rubbing without damage. Metal sheet is thick as original 55O [old is gold]. Underbody was well crafted, much flatter than the current 55O. Interiors- very basic, not even AC blower.

Customers were asking how much is the price over major and the sales manager proudly saying it is almost same.. but 4x2 is of no use to us we want 4x4 soon..
Thanks a lot.
Yeah the body is tough as V_N had already posted that its same as that of ARMY 550. Bigger wheels will definitely give it more offroad worthy stance. Interiors could have different. I wonder if its possible to easily fit the Dash of CRDe into MDi. Overall seems to be a nice affordable package.

Dear M&M, waiting for official launch here. May be some city wise price & Spec info on Thar website for India.
Old 17th December 2010, 00:36   #362
Senior - BHPian

many/most of us dreamt of THAR CRDe and some even put on hold their next purchase and waited for the elusive Thar.

and now many/most of us will end up buying THAR MDI just because our pockets wont allow us to go for the more expensive CRDe.

some hardcore 4x4 enthusiasts will also end up buying MDI because it comes with rigid front axle which is missing in CRDe!

i see a little bit of mix n match of equipment in both variants.

lets hope we all get/buy whatever we want to get our hands on.

thanks a lot Mr. Santa/Banta Claus for the xmas gift.
Old 17th December 2010, 02:42   #363
Team-BHP Support

More i think of it, the Di makes more sense and bang for the buck from an offroader point of view.

Fixed axles, no complicated electronics, cheaper to buy and maintain. Yes it sure does :-/
Old 17th December 2010, 09:44   #364
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
More i think of it, the Di makes more sense and bang for the buck from an offroader point of view.
Fixed axles, no complicated electronics, cheaper to buy and maintain. Yes it sure does :-/
I totally agree with it. Especially in your case since it is going to be second vehicle primarily for OTRs. The only problem with the MDI engine is that it is a very agricultural engine and meant for commercial use and not personal transport. It makes good torque and works great with one ton of potatos at the back but it is no fun to drive. I went for the DI Turbo over the XD3P for the low end Torque and serviceability. Now, I am seriously thinking of getting an Isuzu 4JB1 (2.8L Turbo DI) and plonking it in my jeep. It is a simple and durable Turbo DI Isuzu block with zero electronics. Most consumables can be found locally.
Old 17th December 2010, 11:01   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
no complicated electronics..
I was already scared at all those wires in the Mdi version, compared to my cj of course...!! Cant even imagine driving in a wet otr with the thought of a ECU in the back of my mind. Especially with the known issues of a 4x4 scorpio (courtesy the 3 bangy scorpios)
Old 17th December 2010, 11:14   #366
BHPian

Tini Sir,
the best engine with least electronics happens to be the isuzu - great for jeeps.
i share the same idea, of plonking a tavera engine into my mm540, but finding such isuzu engines is a big search.
sir, if u come across any di engine (non turbo), pls let me know. di engine best for lugging around in 3rd or 4th gear in city traffic. isuzu best for highway cruising, even with an aircon fitted extra.
have a nice day.
Old 17th December 2010, 21:33   #367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Pavan, may be you should read the thread. We are all beating up on Mahindra, not worshiping. The anticipation for Thar is so high only because there is nothing else available to meet that need. If Suzuki brings out the Jimny, most of us here will jump ship in a heart beat. That behavior hardly qualifies for fanboyism.
i dont think we could compare 'Made in Japan' Jimny with MM Thar!

i dont think people would be jumping and changing ships because jimny comes in petrol engine at the moment, BUT Maruti 'might' spring a surprise with a diesel jimny!

biggest reason being petrol vs diesel and jimny being a 3 door and 4 seater!
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar MDi Thread (more pics at page 24)-06092010304.jpg  

Mahindra Thar MDi Thread (more pics at page 24)-06092010307.jpg  

Mahindra Thar MDi Thread (more pics at page 24)-06092010308.jpg  

Mahindra Thar MDi Thread (more pics at page 24)-06092010309.jpg  

Old 17th December 2010, 22:36   #368
BANNED

As per my thinking, a Thar is a well built Premium lifestyle product, made for a specific community.

What in the name of Mahindra Thar is the ordinary 2wd MM550 DI 63bhp joke.

C'mon, i dont think, they can name some Mahindra a Thar.

Jimny looks so damn well built if we are comparing the Thar.

Looks like there will be battle of prices if both are launched.

Hope Suzuki debuts its Jimny ASAP.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 17th December 2010 at 22:43.
Old 17th December 2010, 22:46   #369
BHPian

I will prefer Made In India, only because replacements are cheaper! I have had enuf of "imported" part prices
Old 17th December 2010, 22:49   #370
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
As per my thinking, a Thar is a well built Premium lifestyle product, made for a specific community.

=======

Lol that (Thar name) discussion is over, but yes am hoping Jimny comes out with a decent price tag. But if its CBU, price is gonna be sky high and land up as another non mover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsjar View Post
I will prefer Made In India, only because replacements are cheaper! I have had enuf of "imported" part prices
Cheaper to buy and maintaine 100%
Old 17th December 2010, 23:07   #371
Senior - BHPian

No doubt the Jimny is in different league all together but I dont think Price of Jimny [if launched here] will come anywhere close to Thar. I guess it will go above SX4.. I say so because it will have all the bells and whistles of a premium hatch plus bigger size, 4x4 and bigger engine.. The on road price of A-star AT after discounts is approx 4.5L now calculate.

My question is if the customized Thar MDI 4x4 with all the offorading thingies we need is costing over 7L, what would a disposal 55O with same things cost??

I guess only a difference of 1.5 - 2 lakhs or so.. Considering we spend almost 3 to 3.5L on 55O restoration. So if we get a brand new base vehicle for 5 L, its not that bad actually..
Old 17th December 2010, 23:08   #372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

C'mon, i dont think, they can name some Mahindra a Thar.

Jimny looks so damn well built if we are comparing the Thar.

Looks like there will be battle of prices if both are launched.

Like i said before. Mahindra is trying to cash on the hype that Thar has made.

Remember there was a Case of ALto Lx and Vx.

Vx was more than one lac rupees more than the Lx because it had one cylinder more. People who were technically sound knew VXi has the same wagon R engine and bought it.

But many thought that whats the big deal, its still an Alto after all. SO it never sold in big numbers, eventually Maruti had to drop it due to its slow sale.

BTW i am sick of any new Thar thread cropping up. Anybody makes it, it spans to pages and pages with useless comments.
Old 18th December 2010, 00:02   #373
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Guys the gypsy which has seen no mechanical changes for 10+ years cost 5+ Lakhs. What price do you think the Jimny will be given that it will be CBU or even CKD?
Old 19th December 2010, 03:01   #374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
... The only problem with the MDI engine is that it is a very agricultural engine and meant for commercial use and not personal transport. It makes good torque ....
The MDI3200tc also has a respectable 2523cc displacement, roughly the same size as Tavera and Scorpio. I consider the 3:73 differential ratio to be actually dangerous to drive on steep hills. It even tasks 1st gear. I would change out to 4:88 or above before I took it home if I could...or I would slide over to Arka's house and ask him to bolt on a couple of 5:22s plus a rear locker some lazy afternoon.

I am wondering if the MDI3200tc could take a mid-sized turbo and intercooler and perhaps upgraded fuel pump and/or injectors...e.g. from an old Scorpio.

I do not know how to get this done. Maybe tuner shops or commercial truck shops have the knowledge. Just spit-balling here.

Interestingly enough, the Thar CRDe specs say 4:3 diff ratios for the NEF variant.
Old 19th December 2010, 23:40   #375
AWD
BHPian

According to latest information, launch is slated for 21st Dec. Postponement as usual is not ruled out!

Last edited by AWD : 19th December 2010 at 23:56.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks