Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2015, 22:45   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar MDI - Driven!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremoo View Post
finally mahindra have introduced powersteering in thar DI 4WD. my cousin took delivery of his jeep yesterday. the steering appears to be offset to the left. mahindra have introduced a flap cover for the diesel tank but sadly it look like an ad-don done by a newbie mechanic.
The steering on a lot of older Mahindra commercial vehicles and jeeps is slightly offset to the left. This is a design feature going back to the 1940s when Mahindra and Mahindra first started up. Not many people know it but M&M brothers were really siamese twins joined from shoulder to hip. The steering offset was designed so that they could easily both have steering input as they drove down the road sitting side by side on the front seats.

They are connected to an important Indian legal precedent, by the way. In 1948 they were arrested for the murder of a prominent politician. However the case was thrown out of court. Seems one brother pleaded guilty and the other pleaded innocent. The judge decided that since one brother was a known militant communist and the other was a diametrically opposed capitalist Congress supporter, that only one brother was guilty. This meant the other brother was innocent. So, the judge refused to imprison or hang an innocent man. Behram told me this so it MUST be true.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 22nd August 2015 at 23:02.
DirtyDan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2015, 09:14   #152
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is a design feature going back to the 1940s when Mahindra and Mahindra first started up. Not many people know it but M&M brothers were really siamese twins joined from shoulder to hip.
This must be one of the most hilarious post I have read in recent past anywhere

Looking forward to your review of new Thar !

Last edited by Turbanator : 23rd August 2015 at 09:15.
Old 23rd August 2015, 10:08   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

M&M justice....that still prevails
😁

Rust is an issue that sadly they have not been able to over come. Even Scorpios have this.
Old 29th August 2015, 20:31   #154
BHPian

Yes it is, checked the brochure from their official website. But as per brochure, front suspension is still leaf spring. Bad luck to power steering.
Old 31st August 2015, 15:57   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
The steering on a lot of older Mahindra commercial vehicles and jeeps is slightly offset to the left. This is a design feature going back to the 1940s when Mahindra and Mahindra first started up.
I have been wanting to ask this for a while now. Is there a way to correct this offset?
Old 31st August 2015, 22:05   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I have been wanting to ask this for a while now. Is there a way to correct this offset?
Behram Dhabhar has told us what the reason for the offset is but I don't remember it. Maybe you could find it with a search. The offset does not bother me so I don't remember the particulars..something about needing to keep the proper steering geometry especially in high articulation situations.

If the offset bothered me I might be more inclined to move the driver's seat over to the left an inch or two first to see if that solves it.

Many people have installed power steering units with no reported ill effect.
Old 1st September 2015, 11:29   #157
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The steering on a lot of older Mahindra commercial vehicles and jeeps is slightly offset to the left. This is a design feature going back to the 1940s when Mahindra and Mahindra first started up. Not many people know it but M&M brothers were really siamese twins joined from shoulder to hip. The steering offset was designed so that they could easily both have steering input as they drove down the road sitting side by side on the front seats.
Actually, M&M started as Mahindra & Mohammed, this was the name between 1945-48. When Mohammed moved to Pakistan after independence, M&M became Mahindra & Mahindra.

Last edited by Samurai : 1st September 2015 at 11:31.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 16:56   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Actually, M&M started as Mahindra & Mohammed, this was the name between 1945-48. When Mohammed moved to Pakistan after independence, M&M became Mahindra & Mahindra.
I wish Mohammed had stayed back and Mahindra had gone to Pakistan. Pakistani's sure have better off-roaders than us
Old 1st September 2015, 18:10   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I wish Mohammed had stayed back and Mahindra had gone to Pakistan. Pakistani's sure have better off-roaders than us
True, but nothing they can call their own!

Sorry for going OT
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 20:05   #160
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If the offset bothered me I might be more inclined to move the driver's seat over to the left an inch or two first to see if that solves it.
It does not bother me as well. But if you do move the driver's seat 2 inches to the left, you will have a hard time slotting the back gear as it will start fouling with the seat.

Most Viewed