Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2021, 12:40   #301
Senior - BHPian

Re: Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Do you guys do scouting in car before taking your cycle there? I am seriously thinking of doing that and make notes. Its 3 times now I had to take U-turn and head back because the road was too difficult to ride due to potholes, mud, road work and what not.
This is where a big network helps, especially in a big city. Both Strava and Whatsapp. You stay current with the routes guys are doing and the on-date road condition and/or any construction work, as well as which (previously) regular routes you are not seeing in your feeds. Also, you can make out the level of difficulty by the kind of bikes which are doing them. If you see roadies doing a route, you know Hybrids and MTBs will sail through. And short of really slippery muddy and rocky terrain with a lot of obstacles, a hybrid will do anything that an MTB will, maybe not with the same level of ease or comfort, but you will get across.

You will get across with a 23c roadie as well, but the chances of damage to the wheels are what put riders off. Not that it cannot be done. Also on Whatsapp groups people share road conditions, new potholes springing up, or rumblers, or a lot of construction debis or gravel on the shoulders, and even condition of garbage on regular routes (like at the old and new Katraj tunnels which is pretty disgusting).

But again, don't overthink it. You can always walk if the going gets too tough. There is no rule that you cannot get off your bike and walk. Set your auto pause speed smartly and you can even make sure that it does not affect your average speed on Strava (the joys of "Strava Doping").

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 13:06   #302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
This is where a big network helps, especially in a big city. Both Strava and Whatsapp. You stay current with the routes guys are doing and the on-date road condition and/or any construction work, as well as which (previously) regular routes you are not seeing in your feeds. Also, you can make out the level of difficulty by the kind of bikes which are doing them. If you see roadies doing a route, you know Hybrids and MTBs will sail through. And short of really slippery muddy and rocky terrain with a lot of obstacles, a hybrid will do anything that an MTB will, maybe not with the same level of ease or comfort, but you will get across.

You will get across with a 23c roadie as well, but the chances of damage to the wheels are what put riders off. Not that it cannot be done. Also on Whatsapp groups people share road conditions, new potholes springing up, or rumblers, or a lot of construction debis or gravel on the shoulders, and even condition of garbage on regular routes (like at the old and new Katraj tunnels which is pretty disgusting).

But again, don't overthink it. You can always walk if the going gets too tough. There is no rule that you cannot get off your bike and walk. Set your auto pause speed smartly and you can even make sure that it does not affect your average speed on Strava (the joys of "Strava Doping").

Cheers, Doc
True. I have Strava but the scene is weak here. I hardly see any riders. Compare that to one weekend in Pune - just in Pashan I saw more riders than I have ever seen here, cumulative. So the social aspect on getting inputs on road conditions is bleak. None of my friends are into cycling but some do go to gym. Not that I am very keen into going with a group but just joining Whatsapp group (if any) sounds a good idea. Will enquire a bit here.
Old 23rd September 2021, 16:08   #303
Senior - BHPian

New SRAM 11-28 cassette and wheels lifted from Look ! And this how she looks 😀

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-b61d8471267b4e52bc7d67343da84055.jpeg
Mi10 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 17:09   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Do you guys do scouting in car before taking your cycle there? I am seriously thinking of doing that and make notes. Its 3 times now I had to take U-turn and head back because the road was too difficult to ride due to potholes, mud, road work and what not.
This is still one of my pet projects or call it a dream of learning/ experiencing the route/road before hand on an electric bike (motorcycle) & once confirmed that its enjoyable to ride a bicycle on it, then venture on a bicycle ride. But for now this is just a dream until a good electric bike hits the market (I don't like riding scooters for long distances for the obvious reason of their poor suspension and smaller tyres compared to motorcycles). Don't let yourself down if you have to take U-turn and head back because the road was too difficult to ride due to potholes, mud, road work etc. At least your cycle gave you the opportunity of knowing that. Remember, the journey is more important than the destination. Just keep exploring and you will come to know where are the good roads and where are the bad ones. Just keep extending your network, talk to your friends, local guys.

Quote:

Cheers, Doc
Well said Doc
AutoIndian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 17:15   #305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Don't let yourself down if you have to take U-turn and head back because the road was too difficult to ride due to potholes, mud, road work etc. At least your cycle gave you the opportunity of knowing that. Remember, the journey is more important than the destination. Just keep exploring and you will come to know where are the good roads and where are the bad ones. Just keep extending your network, talk to your friends, local guys.
Couldn't agree more. While on the roadie especially with cleats I am a bit circumspect about my choice of routes, and time of rides, on my ACT I have zero hesitation about taking it anywhere, at any time of the day. A flatbar is just more nimble in heavy traffic on city roads. Its like a Duke 390. Whereas the roadie is like the RC390. Aggressive and committed, but not very easy to manoeuvre and control in close stop and go traffic.
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 22:13   #306
Senior - BHPian

Old Highway effort spin. Solo. Big diesel tanker spill at Junna Bazaar - RTO underpass.

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img_20210923_211247.jpg

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img_20210923_211428.jpg

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img_20210923_211502.jpg

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 08:57   #307

Quote:
Set your auto pause speed smartly and you can even make sure that it does not affect your average speed on Strava (the joys of "Strava Doping").
Sorry for the noob question but could you please elaborate on how to set the auto pause speed.
Old 24th September 2021, 10:00   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANE View Post
Sorry for the noob question but could you please elaborate on how to set the auto pause speed.
Actually it's through Wahoo which is my primary activity recording app, which then auto syncs to Strava. On Wahoo you can set the auto pause to kick in when you dip below a certain speed threshold. Which is default at 3 kmph. But you can adjust it all the way from 1 kmph to 20 kmph.

Short morning quickie to Chandani Chowk. Ambushed by fancy cologne wearing paparazzi partner! And for 5 minutes I'm wondering who the turd is who is following uncomfortably close I'm the big XUV500. Lol

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img20210924wa0002.jpg

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img20210924wa0003.jpg

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img20210924wa0008.jpg

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img20210924wa0005.jpg

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img20210924wa0004.jpg

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 24th September 2021 at 10:02.
ebonho is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 10:47   #309
Team-BHP Support

Finally managed the first 100km ride – just scraped through, the average speed really dropped towards the end

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img_1477.jpg

Followed this group for a while, once reached a stretch without street signals they just vanished

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img_1461.jpg

Lovely morning…

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img_1465.jpg

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img_1466.jpg

Another group whizzed into the frame

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img_1464.jpg

Saw this vending machine while on the way back, pretty cool – with some bike essentials and drinks.

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img_1470.jpg

Much needed break, with a large flat white!

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img_1471.jpg
vb-saan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 11:47   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Finally managed the first 100km ride – just scraped through, the average speed really dropped towards the end

Saw this vending machine while on the way back, pretty cool – with some bike essentials and drinks.
Congratulations on your maiden century. It's a mental barrier. Each number is. 50, 100, 150, 200, 250, 300, 400, 600, 1000, 1200.

Sign of the times. Even in Singapore many shelves empty and out of stock!

A brilliant amenity for cyclists nonetheless.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 12:13   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 2211230

Cheers, Doc
Hey Doc, what shorts are those?
Old 25th September 2021, 12:22   #312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Many congratulations vb-san for hitting your first century . I can understand how must be feeling, on top of the world. But look at this as just the beginning as Doc mentioned, there are many more centuries to come. All the best.

On a side note, today I managed to do my first ever half marathon (not an organized event) but just my friend and myself. We initially set a target of 15kms, but extended it to 21, so that we could tick that box of first ever "Half Marathon" Sharing some pics below from the run.

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-whatsapp-image-20210925-9.12.41-am.jpeg

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-whatsapp-image-20210925-9.12.56-am-1.jpeg

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-whatsapp-image-20210925-9.12.56-am.jpeg

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-whatsapp-image-20210925-9.12.56-am-2.jpeg
AutoIndian is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 14:04   #313
Senior - BHPian

Aero machines from completely different pedigree!

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-b5aa26bada55416080fb311aa2876e35.jpeg

Last edited by vb-saan : 25th September 2021 at 14:11. Reason: Photo alignment
Mi10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 14:15   #314
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Congratulations on your maiden century. It's a mental barrier. Each number is. 50, 100, 150, 200, 250, 300, 400, 600, 1000, 1200.
Quote:
Many congratulations vb-san for hitting your first century . I can understand how must be feeling, on top of the world. But look at this as just the beginning as Doc mentioned, there are many more centuries to come. All the best.
Thank you! And with this ride, the bike crossed 1500 km

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian
On a side note, today I managed to do my first ever half marathon (not an organized event) but just my friend and myself. We initially set a target of 15kms, but extended it to 21, so that we could tick that box of first ever "Half Marathon"
Congratulations!
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 14:18   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ach1lles View Post
Hey Doc, what shorts are those?
Normal tennis shorts worn over lycra padded cycling shorts. That's my "look" on the ACT where pure lycra looks a bit out of place, especially in evening rides through peak city traffic. Sort of like MTB boys who hate the lycra look but not its functionality and convenience, so you get their baggy long shorts with lycra inners sewn into them.

Quote:

On a side note, today I managed to do my first ever half marathon (not an organized event) but just my friend and myself. We initially set a target of 15kms, but extended it to 21, so that we could tick that box of first ever "Half Marathon" Sharing some pics below from the run.
Congratulations AutoIndian. That's a mega run buddy.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks