Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2012, 15:18   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbhp
I just got a callback and the dealership told me for i20 Auto no extended warranty, gave me this email id for contact, cresro@hmil.net

If this is true, then they are not confident about their vehicles and for sure they know it will start giving troubles after 2 years.. sounds crazy to me
If I understand correctly you can't buy extended warranty if your car is more than 6 months old. I mean you can't buy the extended warranty say one year after purchase. This is true with any manufacturer . But the deadline will be different.

Mail Hyundai Regarding this and also give their customer care a call and clarify.
Old 23rd April 2012, 16:43   #182
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Extended Warranties. Yes or No?

When I went the dealership last month they stamped my bill with extended warranty and the billing person asked me to get extended warranty, when I said yes he told me he will get back to me, but he never did. They didn't say that they can't provide extended warranty after 6 months, they said for Automatic no extended warranty.

If I recall when I bought the vehicle 2 years back I asked for the extended warranty they said they don't have option of extended warranty but will check and let me know..
Old 30th July 2012, 20:42   #183
BHPian

Re: Can Hyundai/Dealer Refuse Extended Warranty for i20 Asta Auto 1.4

Hyundai is offering extended warranty on i20 diesel for 8,500/- per additional year over and above the standard 2 years.

There is no option for extension on i20 AT.

According to SE I met a dealership recently, the extended warranty can be purchased as long as the vehicle is under an existing warranty cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
If I remember correctly, they were not giving extended warranty(5 years) on Diesel i20s. Regarding automatic, I am not sure. Extended warranty( 5 years) is available on 1.2 Kappa i20s.

Please call up the local Hyundai office(not the dealership) or the RO and get it confirmed.
Old 7th August 2012, 19:19   #184
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I am planning on purchasing a Scorpio but have a few questions.

1) Was at India Garage today and told the sales guy that I would like to get the insurance done myself but he insists that it has to be taken from them. I told him it is not the case but he insists. Is that right?

2) On their price list, they have a break up of the on road price, That includes Ex-warranty and Standard Fitment. Per my understanding the Ex-warranty would be optional but what is the Standard Fitment. I asked the sales guy but he was not too sure, he hesitated and then said it if for the 5th Alloy Wheel. The Standard Fitment price is Rs.9585/-. there is another section on the price list that shows recommended accessories and there the 5th Alloy is listed at Rs.7070/-. Really confused what these prices are and the sales guy seemed a bit more confused than me. Does anyone have any idea what these charges are?

Thanks in advance.

Scorpioman.

Mods, Please feel free to move the post if this is not the right forum for it. I could not find any other thread discussing this.
Old 8th August 2012, 07:34   #185
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpioman
Hi Guys,

I am planning on purchasing a Scorpio but have a few questions.

1) Was at India Garage today and told the sales guy that I would like to get the insurance done myself but he insists that it has to be taken from them. I told him it is not the case but he insists. Is that right?

2) On their price list, they have a break up of the on road price, That includes Ex-warranty and Standard Fitment. Per my understanding the Ex-warranty would be optional but what is the Standard Fitment. I asked the sales guy but he was not too sure, he hesitated and then said it if for the 5th Alloy Wheel. The Standard Fitment price is Rs.9585/-. there is another section on the price list that shows recommended accessories and there the 5th Alloy is listed at Rs.7070/-. Really confused what these prices are and the sales guy seemed a bit more confused than me. Does anyone have any idea what these charges are?

Thanks in advance.

Scorpioman.

Mods, Please feel free to move the post if this is not the right forum for it. I could not find any other thread discussing this.
Why don't you take a counter quote from SKS Auto too? Go there and ask for Amit, their GM and tell him that I referred you.
All the best.
Old 8th August 2012, 10:00   #186
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya101 View Post
There is no option for extension on i20 AT.
Says a lot about how much confidence they have in the AT.

It is true that the 1.4 Gamma engine is being imported, but this policy is very illustrative, of what may happen after two years!
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2012, 11:56   #187
Senior - BHPian

Just bought the VW Polo 1.6 in Feb which come with a standard warranty of 02 year and unlimited kilomenters and 06 year anti corrosion warranty.

Recently bought the extended warranty for 7.3k which is 02 years more and 1 lakh kilometers.

So total warranty is now 04 years and 1 lakh kilometers.

What more can I ask for?
Old 8th August 2012, 12:07   #188
BHPian

No extended warranty yet on the wife's i-Gen i20 here - either from Hyundai or the dealership. We're hounding the dealership since day 1 and the GM has continued to assure us that its on the anvil, that they're religiously following up on behalf of the customers. Remember extended warranty programs help push sales along as well so it is in the interests of the dealerships to be on top of this issue. Does everyone have a similar experience elsewhere?
Old 8th August 2012, 17:40   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan

Why don't you take a counter quote from SKS Auto too? Go there and ask for Amit, their GM and tell him that I referred you.
All the best.
Thanks Shankar. I went there today and they wuill email the quote to me. They too could not give me a definate answer to what the standard fotment was.

BTW Amit is no longer working with SKS.
Old 8th August 2012, 18:00   #190
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpioman

Thanks Shankar. I went there today and they wuill email the quote to me. They too could not give me a definate answer to what the standard fotment was.

BTW Amit is no longer working with SKS.
Oops. I didnt know. He must have moved then but I stopped going there since I sold my Scorp.
Old 21st August 2012, 14:01   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Says a lot about how much confidence they have in the AT.

It is true that the 1.4 Gamma engine is being imported, but this policy is very illustrative, of what may happen after two years!
That may be one way to interpret it.

Hyundai offers only 1 year EW on i20 CRDI. The same car is offered with a 5 year standard warranty with unlimited mileage in the UK. Doesn't this show manufacturer confidence in their product? I believe even Sonata is offered with similar warranty in the US, were average running and speeds are much higher than India.

There is also a reality in India that dealers and owners can collaborate to rip off the manufacturer. By capping the EW years, manufacturers may be insulating themselves from this risk.

For example, malafide practice is prevalent in the case of medical insurance in India. Hospitals rip off the insurance company by providing false hospitalization records or unduly high charges; and part of the benefit may even be passed on to the patient/customer.

Then there is the case of the "culture" of maintenance or rather lack of it in India. Example: Oriental insurance does not insure Mahindra vehicles. Now there is no official explanation forthcoming but it is understood that these cars are typically subject to poor maintenance and/or false claims in general. Sophisticated owners (like BHPians) will generally be a minority in this pool of buyers. It is possible that EW years are also capped by manufacturers for this reason.

I do not mean any offence to any one by this post. It is only my analysis to the question on EW ... there are generalizations made but fact is that insurance and warranty is a game between cost/benefit based on the same.
Old 1st February 2013, 23:03   #192
BHPian

My 2010 Wagon-R had 2 years of warranty when I purchased it in July. The salesman asked me to go for an extended warranty for around 4.5k and I happily obliged. I wish I had taken 1 more year on the extended warranty for the peace of mind it offers.

I am going to check with my Maruti Suzuki dealer and ask him if I can extend my warranty for another 1-2 years. Logic says it's not possible however optimism is the name of the day :-D
Old 26th February 2013, 09:58   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50 View Post
Team-BHP believes that warranties are a true expression of a manufacturer’s confidence in its car.....
Regret to quote a very old post.
But it conveys a lot when we say" warranties are a true expression of a manufacturer’s confidence in its car". In reality warranty has nothing to speak about the confidence and its only money.

Any manufacturer can offer any years/months of warranty - 12/18/24/ etc. If I buy an extended warranty for a car and other guy buying the same car without extended warranty, does that mean the former is a better car with reliable aggregates. No.What actually happens is, with the additional amount we pay, manufacturer buys an insurance policy which covers the failures of the car. And in case anything fails, the insurance agency will pay the money.

Few weeks back, Tata motors has announced 4 years warranty in their heavy commercial range of trucks and buses.In this case, its a large scale insurance where in any failures above standard warranty of 2 years will be covered by the insurance company. Infact product discounts where reduced after the 4 years warranty announcement and the same is used for insurance.

So my point of contention is warranty cannot be taken as the confidence of the manufacturer and its purely a marketing tool.

Last edited by Ashley2 : 26th February 2013 at 10:04.
Old 1st March 2013, 11:06   #194
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
What actually happens is, with the additional amount we pay, manufacturer buys an insurance policy which covers the failures of the car. And in case anything fails, the insurance agency will pay the money.

Few weeks back, Tata motors has announced 4 years warranty in their heavy commercial range of trucks and buses.In this case, its a large scale insurance where in any failures above standard warranty of 2 years will be covered by the insurance company. Infact product discounts where reduced after the 4 years warranty announcement and the same is used for insurance.

So my point of contention is warranty cannot be taken as the confidence of the manufacturer and its purely a marketing tool.
Agree mostly and Disagree on just a few minor points.

Warranties are indeed a Marketing Tool to some extent, but they are also required for Customer Satisfaction at times (if say the vehicle has higher than normal issues and )the company actually wants to support the customer and assure him of their backup they need to take care of issues under warranty for a higher period. The higher number of issues could possibly relate to a newer model or quality issues withing the company or just coping with Indian environmental and fuel conditions (SKODA - had to increase warranty from 2 to 4 years after a lot of the earlier lot of Laura's developed significant issues post 1.5 years or rather after about 45,000 kms. TATA and Mahindra do have higher rate of issues with the Safari Dicor, Aria, XUV500 etc. and the customer putting in that kind of money needs a certain assurance of not being left high and dry in event of a significant issue at say 90,000 kms and 3 years.

How the extended warranties are funded and what they cover is a separate topic that does not really matter. It is kinda like buying insurance (in some cases that is exactly how the warranty is funded internally) and just as a person with not that perfect heath constitution will feel the need for greater insurance (not that others should not take insurance as one never knows) similarly one does require greater warranty to be able to confidently buy some cars.

At the other end of the spectrum:
BMW's Total Coverage Warranty plans are real expensive but yet a customer buys it knowing that BMW's though great cars (like Merc and Audi) are not exactly Toyota class reliable, and if there are issues it can be a major disappointment. That maybe even helpded BMW taken an edge over Merc which have equally or more unreliable vehicle (feels odd to be refering to very safe european permium vehicles in this manner) but they did not offer longer warranty terms and many Merc owners have not exactly been ok with the issues they faced in the 2-5 year time frame for their vehicle, BMW provided an option that though costly gave more peace of mind.

Yep I guess warranties should always be bought to the max level (unless one is going to just use the car for say 5000 kms a year and that to for about 4-5 years. (Being in Warranty period does increase the resale value of a car but that is only valid if one sells within the warranty period.)

Own Example 1:
I bought a peowned Laura many years back within the warranty period and actually within 2 months required to replace the Turbo Intercooler and the Gear Shifter Switch and the Infotainment Head Unit within warranty. Later The Turbo and AC Compressor also blew and that had to be paid for as it was by then out of warranty. So though the Laura 3rd and 4th year warranties are now (not an option earlier) available more or less in the form of insurance buying them would have helped me significantly.

Own Example 2: The TATA Safari bought in 2001 did have an extended warranty option but the company contact through whome I bought it goofed up and I could not buy it later after the first 3 months had passed. - This resulted in me actually having to replace a lot of parts out of warranty after just 1.5 years or 2 years (dont remember exactly) but kept the car for 10 years and a warranty of 4 years would have helped.

Own Example 3: Aria - New Car - Original Warranty 3 years 100,000 kms Extended to 4 years 150,000 kms.

Have in the first 2.3 years been able to have a lot of parts replaced under warranty and the good bit is that the newer parts inherently tend to be of better design as TATA keeps improving on the design constantly, this will hopefully help in the future post 4 years when the warranty runs out.

Last edited by ACM : 1st March 2013 at 11:08.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 13:07   #195
BHPian

The topic has been extensively debated already. Have a quick question on the clarity on one of the points mentioned in the article "Extended Warranties. Yes or No ?" under the Advice/On Buying section.

The point made is "Some dealers offer only an aftermarket warranty; if they do not initially offer a manufacturer warranty you should specifically for one".

Not sure what this means.

1. Should one take dealer provided warranty in case there is no manufacturer provided warranty ?

2. In case it is dealer provided warranty, how genuine would be the execution of claims in the underwriting ?

Any advice/feedback would be helpful.

Drive Safe,
Andy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks