Team-BHP - ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   On buying a car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/)
-   -   ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/68581-article-pre-delivery-inspection-pdi-check-list-7.html)

We went for the delivery of our Safari 2.2 VTT yesterday, it's mileage was 174km and it had quite a few niggles in it (footboard loose, odd screws missing, rear cupholders broken, seats a bit dirty). We asked them to keep the car their, fix all ths issues, and we'll take it today. What I want to ask is, is the mileage normal? It looks to be a bit high (especially since it's mentioned here that it shouldn't be above 100km)

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcreator (Post 1279950)
We went for the delivery of our Safari 2.2 VTT yesterday, it's mileage was 174km and it had quite a few niggles in it (footboard loose, odd screws missing, rear cupholders broken, seats a bit dirty). We asked them to keep the car their, fix all ths issues, and we'll take it today. What I want to ask is, is the mileage normal? It looks to be a bit high (especially since it's mentioned here that it shouldn't be above 100km)

@Dcreator - Congrats on your new purchase and nothing to worry on the mileage, the car would be taken for RTO & getting it from the warehouse to the showroom.

Get the interiors cleaned and all the fittings tightened up before the delivery.

Do post the ownership review and pictures of your vehicle.clap:

hi folks!
I've booked my first car - the GP MJD - Active!
would be going in for a Pre-Delivery Check at the Nerul stockyard for the same in about 15 days from now....thanks to this thread, i've got the checklist ready, but any specific details With respect to Grand Punto that needs to be kept in mind? in showroom i checked that the batch and serial no in punto is under the matt of the front left seat...any clue how to check for more details about the exact make of the car ( though its a recently launched vehicle...still would like to check for the peace of mind!)...would welcome any other suggestions...
thanks
ameet

Used the PDI checklist, first time, when I went to Trident Hyundai to check a new buy for a collegue.

Good comprehensive list.

Liked the way the cars were stacked there, on the top floor, in the sun and rain and whatever! But this is better than packing on the sand and dust.

I was just wondering if it makes sense to buy a display vehicle if it is being sold at a discounted price? I'm sure all of the items on the PDI check-list are applicable here, but are there other things one needs to look for? I'm sure display cars take some amount of abuse, though not as much as a TD car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBlazer (Post 1411663)
I was just wondering if it makes sense to buy a display vehicle if it is being sold at a discounted price? I'm sure all of the items on the PDI check-list are applicable here, but are there other things one needs to look for? I'm sure display cars take a fair amount of abuse, though not as much as a TD car.

Absolutely no problem if it is indeed a display vehicle. Just make sure :-

1. They give you a huge discount
2. Do an interior shampoo cleaning and exterior polish, teflon coat before delivering the vehicle
3. Oh, inspect carefully for any scratches et. all

If all above offered, you can go ahead, i reckon there would be no issues

Guys,

I am going (in one hours time) to do a pre-registration check up of the SX4 I am going to buy. The sales folks at Pratham insist that I make complete payment before registration. I had originally planned that I would make the balance 1.2L payment on the deliver day (the loan disbursement has already happened). Pratham also said that after registration (and befpore delivery), the car becomes my legal responsibility.

Questions:
1. Is that the standard procedure - full payment before registration?
2. During pre-registration inspection, if there is a problem with the car, I can ask them to go for another car. What legal recourse do I have if I find a problem during pre-delivery inspection - AFTER registration? If there is a dispute, and I refuse to accept the delivery, then at the worst case, can I get the entire money back?

The argument with Pratham sales happened right now, and I need the answers NOW before I go out for the pre-registration inspection (and make the balance payment). Will appreciate any quick reply. Thanks!

Getting the car replaced is a major pain once you it has been registered in your name. In case of trouble - the case usually ends up in the consumer courts, etc.

Make sure that you inspect the car BEFORE the registration process.

I do not think you need to make full payment before registration

If at all you are making full payment ask them to give it in writing about
- Any issues during pre-registration inspection
- Any issues during PDI

Quote:

Originally Posted by nilanjanray (Post 1417202)
Guys,

Questions:
1. Is that the standard procedure - full payment before registration?
2. During pre-registration inspection, if there is a problem with the car, I can ask them to go for another car. What legal recourse do I have if I find a problem during pre-delivery inspection - AFTER registration? If there is a dispute, and I refuse to accept the delivery, then at the worst case, can I get the entire money back?

You have good idea but unfortunately it doesn't work. No dealer allows the payment method you had planned. Also, once registration is done, you can not get another vehicle. Don't know legal way but no one goes in to that long process.
Only thing is: All the best for getting good car.

:OT but I feel it's bad as even after spending such a huge amount we can't do anything. When I bought my Honda CD 100 in 1999, it came with crack in Head light. I still remember how much pain I took for it's replacement.

Check the car that's allocated to you. If all okay according to our PDI checklist, pay up in full. They can then proceed with the registration (of your approved car only).

Thanks folks for the inputs. I did a PRI using the checklist - whatever I could do without driving the car (they wouldn't allow me to do that). Everything seems to be fine. The car chassis number says that the car manufacturing date is July 09 (G9 were the last two alphanumeric digits) - so got a new car! The thread on chassis number deciphering was really useful.

Paid the balance amount (1.2L odd), and gave my approval for registration. Will also be doing a detailed PDI before delivery.

Am posting pictures and my experience in the other thread that I have started.

Guys,
Anyone here know how to crack GM chasis Number code (Spark) to know the mfg date?

Guys - how do i identify the manufacturing date of Swift diesel? where is the VIN number located and how to decipher it please? Also where is the engine and chassis number located?

thanks in advance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latheesh (Post 1435744)
Guys,
Anyone here know how to crack GM chasis Number code (Spark) to know the mfg date?

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFS2024 (Post 1484138)
Guys - how do i identify the manufacturing date of Swift diesel? where is the VIN number located and how to decipher it please? Also where is the engine and chassis number located?

thanks in advance.

Guys, separate thread running on understanding VIN / chassis ids.