Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2011, 06:44   #316
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
Do we have any PDI Checklist for Scorpio. I have booked the vehicle at India Garage.
I would go for PDI next monday. Hence, I need a good PDI checklist to check the Scorpio details. Please advice.
The PDI is general check list that can be used for any vehicle including Scorpio.
In addition to the PDI list, please go though the member posts including your own experience and judgement for additional points that may be applicable and useful during the PDI
Old 27th August 2011, 14:42   #317
BHPian

Issues during SX4 PDI.

We booked an SX4 ZDi few months back. On 22/8/11 it reached my dealer stockyard. On 24/8/11 I went to the stockyard, for PDI. I found everything to be perfect,except for 2 issues. I dont if they are major or minor & would love some clarifiactions from T-BHP.

Issue 1 - On opening of the engine bay, I was shocked to find rust in the engine. When I questioned about the same, my SA said that it's quite normal during monsoon season. We looked at one more SX4 & it had the same issue.I've taken some snaps of my SX4. Somebody please tell me if it's common during monsoon.

Issue 2 - When I press the brake pedal, it makes a weird sound , something like " phiss phiss". Like when you inflate a cycle tire , the kind of sound an air pump makes. What is this sound & is it alright to have such noises?

I have not given my consent to register the vehicle in my name, yet. If these are no issues at all, can I give them the go ahead?
Thanks & Regards

Varun
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List-img00034201108181538.jpg  

ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List-img00035201108181538.jpg  

Old 27th August 2011, 14:50   #318
Senior - BHPian

Re: Issues during SX4 PDI.

Did you check what is the VIN and what is the Manufacturing/Dispatch date from the plant? It is usually there on the dispatch sticker on windshield or side glasses. Has the car really arrived at stockyard recently or been lying around and allocated to you?
Find this quite unusual for this degree of rusting in a brand new car.
Old 27th August 2011, 15:20   #319
Senior - BHPian

This is not a problem as cast iron parts build this rust coating to protect itself from further rusting. These parts usually last very very long and hence i don't think this should be a cause of worry.

I have myself seen this on some newly bought cars and even my Baleno had this at the time of delivery.

As far as the clutch sound is concerned its normal as long as its clean and nice sounding. What i mean by that if you feel that pressing the clutch is getting resisted somewhere or there is a metal-to-metal rubbing screech then it would be something that would require checking.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 27th August 2011 at 15:22.
Old 27th August 2011, 17:22   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post
We booked an SX4 ZDi few months back. On 22/8/11 it reached my dealer stockyard. On 24/8/11 I went to the stockyard, for PDI. I found everything to be perfect,except for 2 issues. I dont if they are major or minor & would love some clarifiactions from T-BHP.
This rusting, though common, should result only AFTER driving the car for a week or two. It simply means that your car was lying idle in the stockyard for long.

The phiss sound could be a leak/loose fit in brake booster hose as SX4 has Electronic PS.

As the car has not been registered, you're better off waiting for some more time to get a factory shipped 'new' piece. You paid for new, so you should get new, not something that has been lying on the shelf for a while. Press the dealer to allot you another car.

Once the dealer knows that you've called his bluff, he will make you wait for 3-4 weeks & then call you, informing that a new "piece" has arrived. Check the VIN of the new piece & then go for PDI.

Last edited by JustCause : 27th August 2011 at 17:28.
JustCause is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2011, 17:50   #321
BHPian

First check the VIN Number and decode the manufacturing date from it.

Here is a link to Wildon's highly useful thread on how to decode the VIN:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/96830-article-find-your-cars-date-manufacture-vin.html

Ask for a another piece. Also please do note the VIN Number of the current car for reference.

This amount of rust on a new car is probably not good. Regarding the sound that you are experiencing from the brake pedal, I do not have a good idea about it and would leave it to the experts.

All the best.

Cheers,
Kaushik

Old 3rd September 2011, 09:38   #322
Senior - BHPian

Hi I would be going for the stockyard inspection today. I was going through the pdi checklist and noticed one item which says to check if Speedo cable is disconnected. Now how do u check that for a car?
Old 3rd September 2011, 18:59   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Hi I would be going for the stockyard inspection today. I was going through the pdi checklist and noticed one item which says to check if Speedo cable is disconnected. Now how do u check that for a car?
What vehicle are you planning to buy and who is the dealer.
At first please get the VIN number and make sure that the vehicle is new to your satisfaction.
You will very rarely find a vehicle with disconnected ODO cable and this is a dirty trick played by the dealership sometimes.
But obviously the dealer would fix the ODO cable back before offering the vehicle for sale/PDI.
So you may not be able to find out whether the ODO cable has been disconnected and reconnected.
But to verify the genuineness of the vehicle, I suggest that you check the vehicle completely for any signs of use such as the condition of the plastic covers used on the upholstery, tire wear, fuel gauge, dirt in the wheels, mudflaps and mudguards etc.,
If would also be a good idea to take a knowledgeable friend with you because 2 pair of eyes with different thinking would bring about the best.

HC
Habanero City is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2011, 20:55   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero City View Post
What vehicle are you planning to buy and who is the dealer.
At first please get the VIN number and make sure that the vehicle is new to your satisfaction.
You will very rarely find a vehicle with disconnected ODO cable and this is a dirty trick played by the dealership sometimes.
But obviously the dealer would fix the ODO cable back before offering the vehicle for sale/PDI.
So you may not be able to find out whether the ODO cable has been disconnected and reconnected.
But to verify the genuineness of the vehicle, I suggest that you check the vehicle completely for any signs of use such as the condition of the plastic covers used on the upholstery, tire wear, fuel gauge, dirt in the wheels, mudflaps and mudguards etc.,
If would also be a good idea to take a knowledgeable friend with you because 2 pair of eyes with different thinking would bring about the best.

HC
Went for the PDI in Tata Stockyard near Neelmangala today. The Manza, that was allotted to me is a May 2011 (found through the VIN) and did a thorough check of the vehicle with 2 pairs of eyes.

Did all the things in the checklist and i was satisfied. Here is a picture i took of the car.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List-img_3589.jpg  

Old 29th September 2011, 09:21   #325
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post the same query across multiple threads on the forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 29th September 2011 at 19:20.
akshay380 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 9th October 2011, 21:17   #326
BHPian

Very informative & practical thread.

I had some free time today, so put all these info into a word doc, & is uploaded here. Hope I am not infringing on any copyrights!
Attached Files
File Type: docx PDI.docx (60.1 KB, 1796 views)
Abes is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 10th October 2011, 22:03   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abes View Post
Very informative & practical thread.

I had some free time today, so put all these info into a word doc, & is uploaded here. Hope I am not infringing on any copyrights!
Thanks for your efforts buddy. The word document will be very useful indeed!
Old 23rd October 2011, 00:39   #328
BHPian

Gift: Take a token gift along for the sales guy. What is the ideal gift?
Old 23rd October 2011, 17:18   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmoya2007 View Post
Depends on your generosity!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...ml#post2312330
Old 24th October 2011, 18:45   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmoya2007 View Post
Depending upon your level of satisfaction and of course the budget you can think of something that will be used on a daily basis such as a neck tie, belt, wallet, business card holder, good quality stationery, etc., Up to your imagination and resources.

HC

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks