Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2012, 09:39   #376
BHPian

Re: A pre-owned sporty, petrolhead's dream for 4L

Hello ayush,

These days due to the rise in petrol prices due to government policies, you could get a petrol car at a much lower price. You could get lancers and cedias at the price of nanos here. Even the toyota corollas are being sold off at 5.5 lakhs in used car markets theese days! So, If you are looking into a powerful hatch that does not cost more to you, I think you should go for the Polo 1.6 petrol. Driven it and recommend it if you are a petrolhead! If you find a 1.6 polo, in good condition, then I think you should go for it.

I hope this helps a bit.

Keep revvin'
S@ndy
Old 24th June 2012, 11:30   #377
Senior - BHPian

Among the cars mentioned above,I'll suggest you to go ahead with Fiesta 1.6, she's got the best combination of power and handling. Your choice should go like this Fiesta<Polo<Figo.

But I want to suggest you another cars too, Cedia and Civic. You can find good examples of cedia around 3 lakhs, NO car can beat her when it comes to power + handling combination. And you can get good examples of civic around 5 lakhs. There are plenty of used civics lying around in market.

Good luck with your decision, Drive safe.

P.S My 200th post

Cheers,
Sameer
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2012, 11:51   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayushagarwal26
What comes to mind is the league of 1.6 hatchbacks,
What about an '07 or '08 Palio 1.6? Should be available under 2L.
Old 24th June 2012, 12:34   #379
Distinguished - BHPian

Palio wouldnt be as reliable as a Civic/Fiesta. I suggest you get a Fiesta 1.6. Just make sure oyu drive it extensively first to confirm you are comfortable in the car.

In theory, the Fiesta is a fantastic car but for me, I found it very uncomfortable. I was just not able to get comfortable in the car and that was the nail in the coffin. I gave up my search for a used Fiesta. Even though it's fantastic handling car, if you arent comfortable, then there is absolutely no point buying it even if the whole world says its the best car around.
Old 24th June 2012, 12:36   #380
Senior - BHPian

Considering the budget of 4L, can I assume that you don't have too much cash to throw on your car? In that case, I would suggest you to stay away from the Civic or Cedia, as the cost of spares might be pretty high.
My heart would ask me to go with the Fiesta, the Fiesta's handling is much better than its competitors here, and the engine is very rev happy too! The Polo, while having a very good engine, does not have the steering feel of the Ford. So I would stick with a used Fiesta.
Old 24th June 2012, 13:21   #381
BHPian

Thanks everyone for the quick replies I've received till now! So looks like the decision is still towards the Polo and Fiesta. I would like to stay away from
1) Civic - The family already has one
2) Cedia - Spares, availability, maintenance. I love the car itself though. I maintain a 15 year old mercedes already and don't want another car which asks for attention! Ditto for all fiats / mitsubishis etc.
3) Corolla / Old accords etc - Similar reasons. Plus, my car needs to be compact - this will be my daily office run. On the weekends I plan to use the W124, which is currently my daily run. It's big, drinks too much fuel, and needs to be taken care of - a lot - which makes my life a little difficult as of now.

I will try to talk to the sellers for both Polos as well as the Fiesta. Maybe one of these three clicks? I'll keep this thread updated with the car condition / pricing etc. so I can get more inputs.

Until then, please keep the suggestions pouring in!
Old 24th June 2012, 13:24   #382
Distinguished - BHPian

Ayush,

Do give the Fiesta a chance. It should be a lot more involving to drive than the Polo 1.6.
If you can, do look around for a 1.6S that comes with a slightly stiffer suspension. Also, these cars are quite reliable unless you get a lemon (chances of which are reduced with a proper inspection of the car and its service history). Plus, with a more recent buy, you might get warranty as well.
Old 24th June 2012, 13:55   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@ndy View Post
I think you should go for the Polo 1.6 petrol. Driven it and recommend it if you are a petrolhead!
Thanks! I have driven a 1.2, and I quite like everything about the hot hatch (except the ridiculous 3pot motor). The thought of a 1.6 mill just makes me drool. I find the steering a little too light though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
You can find good examples of cedia around 3 lakhs, NO car can beat her when it comes to power + handling combination.
P.S My 200th post
No cedia's / civics - see my post above Congratulations on the 200!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
What about an '07 or '08 Palio 1.6? Should be available under 2L.
Thanks for the idea, but strictly no Fiats or other high maintenence examples!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
In theory, the Fiesta is a fantastic car but for me, I found it very uncomfortable. I was just not able to get comfortable in the car and that was the nail in the coffin. I gave up my search for a used Fiesta. Even though it's fantastic handling car, if you arent comfortable, then there is absolutely no point buying it even if the whole world says its the best car around.
You have a valid point. However, I came very close to buying a Fiesta 1.6 a couple of years back, and fell in love the first time I drove it

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Considering the budget of 4L, can I assume that you don't have too much cash to throw on your car? In that case, I would suggest you to stay away from the Civic or Cedia, as the cost of spares might be pretty high.
My heart would ask me to go with the Fiesta, the Fiesta's handling is much better than its competitors here, and the engine is very rev happy too! The Polo, while having a very good engine, does not have the steering feel of the Ford. So I would stick with a used Fiesta.
That's my concern. I love the Fiesta, but I feel I can push a better deal on the Polo. Time to drive the Polo and see if it makes me feel as happy as the Fiesta does!
Old 24th June 2012, 23:32   #384
Team-BHP Support

The only drawback of looking for an used Fiesta is - there are very few examples of ones equipped with airbags and ABS. If you find such an example, go for it.

Does Swift Zxi float your boat? Low on maintenance, sporty rev happy engine, good handling, decent availability, "moddability" etc.
Old 25th June 2012, 00:25   #385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
It should be a lot more involving to drive than the Polo 1.6.
I would suggest the Fiesta as well over the polo. I have driven both and surely the fiesta comes out tops in all departments. The 1.6 is just a name bagde on the polo, IMO, it does not deliver the performance of even the Swift 1.3(earlier one).

I see that you have ruled out the Cedia, that would have been my 1st choice ahead of the fiesta.
Old 25th June 2012, 01:10   #386
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I would suggest the Fiesta as well over the polo. I have driven both and surely the fiesta comes out tops in all departments. The 1.6 is just a name bagde on the polo, IMO, it does not deliver the performance of even the Swift 1.3(earlier one).

I see that you have ruled out the Cedia, that would have been my 1st choice ahead of the fiesta.
I was about to recommend the Cedia myself - but I see he ruled it out due to the spares.
If that wasn't a concern, I would have recommended a nice trusty Jap like the Cedia, Octy RS, or even a Baleno.
I still think that such a car bought at sub Rs. 3L levels, with 1L kept aside additional for maintenance would be a swell buy. Of course, he should go through all the steps before purchasing one to make sure he is not buying an abused/neglected/lemon.
Old 25th June 2012, 11:03   #387
Distinguished - BHPian

You could NOT have chosen a better time to buy a used petrol car. Check this thread for some useful pointers.

If Polo 1.6's are hard to come by, you can look at highline petrol Ventos from 2010- they should go for around 5.4L give or take and you should be able to negotiate as well. It's the same 1.6 L engine, very decent 5-speed gearbox and bells and whistles like climatronic and adjustable armrest which I think are missing in the Polo 1.6
Old 25th June 2012, 14:55   #388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
The only drawback of looking for an used Fiesta is - there are very few examples of ones equipped with airbags and ABS. If you find such an example, go for it.

Does Swift Zxi float your boat? Low on maintenance, sporty rev happy engine, good handling, decent availability, "moddability" etc.
The Fiesta I'm looking at is the SXi - it comes with airbags and abs.
A Swift won't work - I've driven one for 3 years in college (the old G13B), and need something new Also, one of our cars which I use for short runs is a Ritz, which has the same K12 engine anyway.

Quote:
The 1.6 is just a name bagde on the polo, IMO, it does not deliver the performance of even the Swift 1.3(earlier one).
Really? That sounds strange... I need to drive a Polo 1.6 real soon!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
I was about to recommend the Cedia myself - but I see he ruled it out due to the spares.
If that wasn't a concern, I would have recommended a nice trusty Jap like the Cedia, Octy RS, or even a Baleno.
I still think that such a car bought at sub Rs. 3L levels, with 1L kept aside additional for maintenance would be a swell buy. Of course, he should go through all the steps before purchasing one to make sure he is not buying an abused/neglected/lemon.
Cedias are amazing to drive - I know, but there's a reason I want something very easy to maintain, and very new. No five year old cars!

In fact, last year, my car choices included the Baleno, Fiesta and Octy RS. Even the Cedia to some extent - and I would've gone for one of these, had I not had the chance to lay my hands on the Mercedes 124. I know that these will come cheaper than the Fiesta/Polo, and with a little money set apart, won't be too difficult to take care of - but I don't want the added responsibility of caring for another car which needs attention. I love doing it, but time is always at a premium, and whatever time I can pull out is consumed by my 124 (my only pre owned car till date).

I initially wanted a new car for daily runs, but a 4L budget means going down to a segment where cars are small and aimed at practicality at a price point rather than driving pleasure. No hot hatches / powerful sedans. Then, the rising fuel prices and crashing of the used petrol car market clinched it - Time to look for used. So, I only want to look at cars that are 2 years old max, 10-20k kms, well maintained and still in warranty. In essence, a new car without the depreciation hit A car with these basics in place, non accidented, and with service history would be like a new car at ~half price!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
If Polo 1.6's are hard to come by, you can look at highline petrol Ventos from 2010- they should go for around 5.4L give or take and you should be able to negotiate as well.
I love the idea (drool!), but 4 lacs. Max :(

Once again, thanks everyone! This is turning out to be a very involving / fun discussion.
ayushagarwal26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2012, 15:16   #389
Senior - BHPian

I think you should go for the Fiesta looking at the thread title. However one hitch - getting a good one in your price is a bit daunting. IMO if you can negotiate a bit harder you should be able to get it at 5L for which you will need to increase your budget.

Have you not been scouring for the Fiesta S? If you could lay hands on maybe 2008/9 one, just grab it. A true sporty sedan, I am sure BHPians would vouch for it.
Old 25th June 2012, 16:06   #390
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

@ayushagarwal26: Fiesta 1.6 S or SXi are very hard to come by. The prices for these variants will always be high since there are very few in the market.
I would expect them to be between 3.5 to 4.5 lacs in Delhi, depending on vintage and mileage.
I would also set aside 60-80 K for maintenance in the next 3 years so that I am not disappointed if something expensive needs to be replaced.

However, the Palio saves you a lot more money and gives the same level of fun (though without safety features).
The other choice I see is an Octavia vRS.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks