Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2012, 11:33   #466
Team-BHP Support

Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13thpsycho View Post
People here have told me about the difficulties in modding a fiesta for stage 2 upgrades. I dont plan to go one level up but what if I want to upgrade at a later stage, then I would be stuck with the car. Is there a performance difference between Miltek and custom 4x2x1?
Not sure about performance differences between a Miltek and custom exhaust. If the exhaust has been fabricated well and y a reputed tuner who knows what he is doing, you might be able to benefit from it as much as you would with the Miltek, for 1/4th the cost.

You can go the whole hog on Fiestas. Have you heard of Cosworth? Now I don't know much about this. I'm not sure if they have any crate-engines but I'd seen a picture or two of the same in the 'Mumbai Autocar Performance Show' thread. If you have silly money to blow, that would be the right way to do it. It's a 2.0 liter 200 horsepower engine, but the problem is that it doesn't come with a gearbox.

The Civic is a great car to buy used. The handling and high-speed composure may not be as good as the Fiesta, but that's nothing that some aftermarket shocks / coil-overs can't negate. Why would you need a new Civic engine? RRP should do a good job with the Civic's existing mill. Why don't you do a quick search on RRP and Civics on Team-BHP?
Old 24th September 2012, 11:41   #467
BHPian

Civic manual or Octavia Tpi/RS seem like a better option if you like stiffer handling. IF, you don't mind the older looks of the Octy, i'd highly recommend that for its excellent chassis, steering feel & enough power to make you happy.

The mod potential in the Octy is huge, not quite the same for civic unless your dropping a lot of $$ on her. The only place civic rules is the fantastic interior, its nicer on the eyes (the octy ain't pretty IMO), easier to maintain & possible even more reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
Now as I said, stage I mods will be, Remap, FFE, CAI. And as he will be going for bigger rims, so a better set of tyres too. Now we can all agree that with these mods to the engine, the power bump will be atleat 35-40% So the power becomes 135-140 and the torque will be 197-204 Nm. The weight reduces slightly, but that we can assume as negligible.
I cant really confirm 0-100 so I will leave that out of question. Now I just request everyone to just see the specs and review my statement "IF you just want stage I mods then Fiesta is THE best. For power Remap, Exhaust and a Cold Air Intake will be more than enough to keep up with likes of Laura and Cruze."
Bro, there is no way Stage 1 mods would give you that kind of hp/tq gain. You need to keep in mind, that this is an NA (non-turbo, non-supercharged) engine. For FI cars, a good tune or remap can transform the car like in the case of the Skoda TSI/TPi but even then the gains are 25-30%.

You drive a 200-300 hp RS, if im not mistaken.
Old 24th September 2012, 11:53   #468
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jacob13128 View Post
Thank you sir. I was unaware of the fact that modding a Fiesta would be a problem. It goes out of the list straight away then. Why is there a problem with the cosmetic upgrades? mostly its just an add on skirting or a complete new bumper, is there a problem if one gets custom made upgrades?what if I plan a suspension upgrade then, would the civic/accord be a better car?

Thanks Mayankk, I think I should not consider a Fiesta anymore, as it is I didnt like the looks of the car so much and you have given me another reason to -------------------------s.
Grab a baleno and modify the hell out of it.
Am i right in thinking that money seems to not be much of an issue as far as mods are concerned?
In that case, grab a civic and take it RRP or some such, maybe aarush, and very specifically ask for what you want done.
I think RRP it was, that tuned a swft to 135ps at the wheels.
TCd it, and cost came to roundabout 2.5L.

They oughta be able to help with the civic as well, considering its quite a modded ride in UK, and the east.
Same for the fiesta too, sticking to UK only. But, there is a lot of localization of the fiesta classic under the hood, and sometimes what looks like a replacement part, turns out to be off by just an mm

I would suggest you find out about tuners in india(except tooner bhasin), and see what cars are the favorites for mods in the segment youre looking for.
Old 26th September 2012, 13:07   #469
NeO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeO View Post
Hi gurus
I came across a polo 1.6 2010 mid for 4 lac
Yet to see the car, will update once I check her out
Wanted to know is this a gud deal
Also way FE can one xpect from a 1.6 considering I ride about 1k km month
hi, thanks to the feedback & suggestion i dropped the idea of buying the polo 1.6
instead i have bought a Maruti Swift LXI 2010 with 15k on Odo for 3.5l.
thought i would update this while at the same time thanks fellow bhpian for their suggestions
Old 28th September 2012, 02:38   #470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fre2bpowerless View Post
Civic manual or Octavia Tpi/RS seem like a better option if you like stiffer handling. IF, you don't mind the older looks of the Octy, i'd highly recommend that for its excellent chassis, steering feel & enough power to make you happy.

The mod potential in the Octy is huge, not quite the same for civic unless your dropping a lot of $$ on her. The only place civic rules is the fantastic interior, its nicer on the eyes (the octy ain't pretty IMO), easier to maintain & possible even more reliable.

Bro, there is no way Stage 1 mods would give you that kind of hp/tq gain. You need to keep in mind, that this is an NA (non-turbo, non-supercharged) engine. For FI cars, a good tune or remap can transform the car like in the case of the Skoda TSI/TPi but even then the gains are 25-30%.

You drive a 200-300 hp RS, if im not mistaken.
Maintenence is the reason I did not suggest the Octy. He doesnt want it. As I said, maybe I am wrong on the gain%.
Also, yes I drive a Stage II Pete'd vRS, 240bhp with B6 shocks and UK Spec Coils.
Old 7th October 2012, 13:02   #471
BHPian

The Corsa 1.6 is definitely fun to drive. I'd prefer it to the Ikon 1.6
Only sore points are:
getting a clean one
availability and price of spares
GC
Gearshift quality

What's say?
Old 8th October 2012, 08:42   #472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango_pal View Post
The Corsa 1.6 is definitely fun to drive. I'd prefer it to the Ikon 1.6
Only sore points are:
getting a clean one
availability and price of spares
GC
Gearshift quality

What's say?
I'd say it's a tiny bit leaden footed in the corners and the steering leaves a bit to be desired. Apart from that, it's a joy to rev it hard and generally have a good time.

But yes, I'd agree with you. But at the same time, I feel there are far better options available in the market due to the reasons you've already mentioned. Not to forget the absolutely terrifying fuel economy a person can manage whilst driving with a heavy foot.
Old 8th October 2012, 10:42   #473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13thpsycho View Post
I think keeping up with a laura and cruze in a modified fiesta should be a breeze but staying ahead can be challenging. Cruze has nervous handling IMO!
How would u compare a modified fiesta vs modified civic (suspension and brakes inc.)? Which would have faster 20-100 acceleration and better handling? Any idea how much would a new civic engine cost?
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
Maybe I am wrong on the 35-40% power inc. But as I said earlier. For stage II, fiesta is useless. If you plan on further mods then just throw out all other cars and go for the civic. That will be best.
Hi psycho, I have a Fiesta 1.6 with BMC CAI, RRP exhaust and a cosworth remap. The gains on the dyno were 21-22% (with a freshly cleaned filter).
The car is an absolute joy to drive and puts a big smile on your face everytime.
On a bang open road, there is no way it will match a Cruze or Laura TSI, atleast after 120-140. However it is a hell a lot more fun in the twisties and that's where the car shines.
Between the civic and fiesta: with similar mods, the civic would be faster while the fiesta would handle better. But here's the catch, the Civic has a LOT more options after stage 1. Hell, RRP has Tc'ed a few Civics already (they have a demo one too). I am stuck trying to get more mods in and the Fiesta isn't easy after stage 1. It looks like a straight jump to FI and that's a bit risky since I haven't seen a TC'ed Fiesta yet so don't know the risks involved.
I would suggest the Civic if you are looking for anything beyond stage 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
If you get down to any kind of tinkering under the hood, getting things is painfully impossible(Except for suspension and motors/fans and other things which are also shared and OTS.).
Any more tinkering done recently Mayank?
Old 8th October 2012, 11:12   #474
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
Hi psycho, I have a Fiesta 1.6 with BMC CAI, RRP exhaust and a cosworth remap. The gains on the dyno were 21-22% (with a freshly cleaned filter).
The car is an absolute joy to drive

Any more tinkering done recently Mayank?
NOt a lot of tinkering.
I was actually waiting for frankmehta to get his TC project right, but he sold off the fiesta. And i dont have the heart to experiment on my car.

I did manage decompile the headlight wiring harness which ford would not even give me the price for, saying they'd have to check first.Haven't gotten back even as of now.

But, to your car.
so your car is now on 120+ bhp?
Seriously?
She oughta be ripping!!
Is the GB coping, and whats the top speed difference(PM me this, if you want).
Old 8th October 2012, 14:05   #475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
I'd say it's a tiny bit leaden footed in the corners and the steering leaves a bit to be desired. Apart from that, it's a joy to rev it hard and generally have a good time.

But yes, I'd agree with you. But at the same time, I feel there are far better options available in the market due to the reasons you've already mentioned. Not to forget the absolutely terrifying fuel economy a person can manage whilst driving with a heavy foot.
Fair enough. Also, it has the best sorted ride IMO.
The fuel economy is truly a terrifying. Never used to give more than 6, even with a reasonably light foot.
So in the price range, of sub 1 lakh, if you were to buy a car. What would be your first choice?
Old 15th October 2012, 21:04   #476
BHPian

Fiesta 1.6 or OHC VTEC?

Dear friends, one of my friends is planning to pick up a second hand Honda City VTEC. In the process of searching for the car, we happened to drive the Ford Fiesta 1.6 (old) and was shocked by its performance.

I don't hesitate to say that the handling of the Fiesta was better than that of the City and the power delivery was great.

A person, who was dreaming to buy the city is now in a dilemma in shortlisting the car. Is there anything bad about the Fiesta?? Please help
Old 15th October 2012, 21:20   #477
BHPian

Re: Fiesta 1.6 or OHC VTEC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenuKumar View Post
Dear friends, one of my friends is planning to pick up a second hand Honda City VTEC. In the process of searching for the car, we happened to drive the Ford Fiesta 1.6 (old) and was shocked by its performance.

I don't hesitate to say that the handling of the Fiesta was better than that of the City and the power delivery was great.

A person, who was dreaming to buy the city is now in a dilemma in shortlisting the car. Is there anything bad about the Fiesta?? Please help
Sir, its such an old story - Fiesta has the best handling in the segment. I see both the cars as two different.
Fiesta is a pure driver's car...not so much gadgety, interiors are not too much of the liking of everyone, specially someone who sits inside a City. If your friend loves driving, tell him to pick up the Fiesta eyes closed. No issues with the car/engine except the FE a little bit.
On the other hand, City is for someone who likes luxury, very easy to drive but not to the liking of someone who loves the car to talk to him/her. FE, comfort - almost everything is luxury in this segment.

Comfort in Fiesta would be felt on the lower side as compared to City, blame it on the stiffer suspension of Fiesta.

So you see, they are two different cars in this segment, meant for people with different choices, one for pure driving pleasure and another for pure luxury - let your friend choose. Good Luck
Old 17th October 2012, 23:24   #478
BHPian

Quote:
Fair enough. Also, it has the best sorted ride IMO.
The fuel economy is truly a terrifying. Never used to give more than 6, even with a reasonably light foot.
So in the price range, of sub 1 lakh, if you were to buy a car. What would be your first choice?
The ride is great, you can go over a bumpy road at considerable speed without much discomfort. As far as the FE goes, I'd say closer to 8 in the city with a light foot. I manage a 7.5 with mixed driving conditions and styles.

Within a budget of one lakh, depending on what I was looking for, I'd go for an Esteem, Accent, Ikon 1.3, Zen, OHC. All from around 2000 - 2002. I'd take these cars in particular because they will be easier to maintain in terms of availability of spares and what have you. You could add Indica, Astra, Corsa, Lancer, Palio to the list, but they will not be easy to maintain or reliable. Since this is thread for enthusiasts cars, I'd say either take your pick between the Esteem, Zen, and Ikon (even though the 1.3 was never considered to be too hot).

Last edited by Viraat13 : 17th October 2012 at 23:25.
Old 18th October 2012, 16:55   #479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
The ride is great, you can go over a bumpy road at considerable speed without much discomfort. As far as the FE goes, I'd say closer to 8 in the city with a light foot. I manage a 7.5 with mixed driving conditions and styles.

Within a budget of one lakh, depending on what I was looking for, I'd go for an Esteem, Accent, Ikon 1.3, Zen, OHC. All from around 2000 - 2002. I'd take these cars in particular because they will be easier to maintain in terms of availability of spares and what have you. You could add Indica, Astra, Corsa, Lancer, Palio to the list, but they will not be easy to maintain or reliable. Since this is thread for enthusiasts cars, I'd say either take your pick between the Esteem, Zen, and Ikon (even though the 1.3 was never considered to be too hot).
Hmm, I'm just getting a little greedy with the Corsa. The one I have my eyes on is an impeccably maintained car. Thought I'd replace the 2005 Getz which has served me well for 100k km.
None of the other cars that I can possibly get in that price range excite me as much as the Corsa
I loved the brief ownership of the Corsa (2004-06), replaced it with a hardly fun to drive Verna.
Now, after discovering the magic of the second hand market, I want to try my luck at it! Lets see how it goes
Old 18th October 2012, 23:11   #480
BHPian

Quote:
Hmm, I'm just getting a little greedy with the Corsa. The one I have my eyes on is an impeccably maintained car. Thought I'd replace the 2005 Getz which has served me well for 100k km.
None of the other cars that I can possibly get in that price range excite me as much as the Corsa
I loved the brief ownership of the Corsa (2004-06), replaced it with a hardly fun to drive Verna.
Now, after discovering the magic of the second hand market, I want to try my luck at it! Lets see how it goes
If it's in good condition, and you think you'll be able to maintain it, I'd say, go for it. Make sure there aren't any tiny parts missing, they are really difficult to procure. Also, make sure that the ignition coil is original, they tend to pack up, so owners replace them with the local ones that cost about 2K as compared to about 15K for the original. The local ones give a good spark for about 6 months, and then you'll see a massive drop in the FE, so watch out.
Happy hunting!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks