Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2013, 10:12   #541
BHPian

Help needed in buying a used Mitsubishi Cedia/Honda city.

Hello,

It has roughly been 4 years since we've had our Hyundai Getz 1.3 GLS and we have been meaning to sell this off quickly and buy a used SUV(preferably an Innova or a Scorpio) but then realized that a sedan would be our best bet since SUV's were out of our 4 lakhs something budget. Anyways, while browsing through used car classifieds online, i happened to come across a few reasonably priced Honda city zx's and fiesta's.. But one thing that i really admired were the cedias , a few of them were put up on sale and they looked stunningly good.

I have seen a couple of them on the road months ago(Hardly see any now, wonder why) . I understand the resale values of Mitsubishi cars aren't really fantastic and that's totally understandable. Anyways I'm really keen on considering the Cedia, I've read a few ownership threads on this forum but those were dated way back in 2008/2009.

The reason I'm considering the Cedia is because it still has everything today's cars have (ABS,Airbags,Steering adjustment, Power windows, AC, Central locking and how can i forget the spectacular 2.0 litre 114BHP engine that puts other sedans to shame) .

I need help in deciding what car to consider mainly among these two;

1)Honda city gxi/ZX(2005/2006)
2)Mitsubishi Cedia Select (2007)

It would be lovely if someone could compare these two in terms of performance, comfort, handling, maintenance, mileage. (I am not particularly bothered about the resale value).
Old 15th May 2013, 11:13   #542
Senior - BHPian

Re: Help needed in buying a used Mitsubishi Cedia/Honda city.

IMO comparing the Honda City-ZX to the Cedia is like comparing chalk and cheese. Both are entirely different machines. While the City would give you mileage and low maintenance, the Cedia's strong points would be performance & handling. Though I am not really sure which of the two would be more comfortable.
Old 15th May 2013, 11:53   #543
Senior - BHPian

Technically, On paper Cedia is a better car as compared to City, but more importantly Hondas are cheap to own and give you painless service for many-many years. Also Honda engine is better than Mitsubishi.

So of you really do not think all 4 Disc brakes is must for you, are not a big fan of Mitsubishi, and are OK with slightly higher cost of Honda City, i would pick and Honda City any day.
Old 15th May 2013, 12:06   #544
BANNED

Very very different type of cars.

If you want a hassle free, low maintenance and reliable car with decent performance(I'm talking about the engine only), City ZX is a great option. It is no drivers car, don't go comparing it a bit to the 1st gen City.It is also very comfortable, the rear has a lot of space and it is not as low slung as many sedans, like the Cedia and even the first gen City. The Ride is a little stiff, mostly OK, but pretty bad on bad roads. The Ride is also pretty stable on highways, the only problem on highways is the light steering and the high road noise(which is a problem is most Hondas).

If it helps I sold my 67K run EXI 2005 Honda City for 3.25 Lacs a year back. No problems, and it was a very hassle free car.

The Cedia on the other hand is not as easy to maintain, partially because it was sold in small numbers and you could have a problem in getting spares etc. But as you mentioned it comes with ABS/Airbags and that great engine, it makes for a great choice as an enthusiast. It is a segment larger, so expect a lower Fuel efficiency , higher maintenance costs.

Here is a newer(relatively) thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...shi-cedia.html
Old 15th May 2013, 12:57   #545
BHPian

Cedia will give u more headaches than City in terms of parts availability and resale value after say 3 -4 years. If you want exclusive and powerful sedan, i think Cedia is the best bet in the used car market. The GC and rally derived suspension etc is definitely driver oriented compared to City.

BTW there is a brand new fully loaded Cedia (touch screen etc) lying in Kochi Mitsubishi showroom. YM 2012. Black. Original price was 9ish lakhs. I guess good negotiator can bring down the price atleast by a lakh.
Old 15th May 2013, 13:18   #546
Senior - BHPian

Many of the Hyundai Accent parts will go into the Cedia, basically the Accent was derived from an old model Mitsubishi Lancer.

Compared to the Honda City, the Mitsubishi Lancer / Cedia is a class above it is at par with Honda Civic as an entry level saloon then, today of course entry level saloons are City, Liana ( Dezire ) and Etios. Wonder where will Honda Amaze fit, sub-entry level saloon ?
Old 15th May 2013, 13:43   #547
BHPian

@creatorkid, could you please mention what all are your priorities in a descending order (highest priority first!). This will help things a lot!

The engine of the Cedia is a gem and in no way is the city's better!!Comparisons done at the time of the launch put the Cedia's engine even above the Civic and Corolla in terms of refinement!But yes as with a higher capacity motor, the mileage will be lesser than the city!But it is very flexible and it pulls well from low revvs so that you can always amble at higher gears.

Spares are expensive but almost all are 'Made in Japan' stuff or imported from Japan and hence the high costs.Also spares may take some time but it is never very late. These factors apart it is every bit a Japanese car-reliable and can take a lot of abuse!

As far as handling is concerned, it is a no-comparison! Regarding ride, i guess the city will win!
Old 15th May 2013, 14:05   #548
Senior - BHPian

Both cars are "reliable" infact I'd think the rally derived Mitsubishi with its no nonsense basic tech engine would be slightly more reliable. It is just that when it comes to getting parts it might be little more difficult with the Cedia. The Cedia out performs and out handles the Honda just no comparison. Also I don't think the Honda City came with many safety features back then? The high-speed manners of the Honda are questionable too. The Cedia will also take rough roads and speed-humps much better than any sedan out there. The turning-radius is amazing too for a car its size.
The City offers a more cushy ride, better mileage due to its smaller displacement and overall it would be easier to maintain.
I think I've summed up pretty much all there is. Do let us know about your priorities in descending/ascending order and you will be able to choose much easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Many of the Hyundai Accent parts will go into the Cedia, basically the Accent was derived from an old model Mitsubishi Lancer.
Where on earth have you got that from?? Having driven the two cars can you confidently say that the Accent was derived from a Lancer? For a while Dodge had them assembled as the Brisa by Mitsubishi motors in Venezuela. The car was NEVER derived from a Mitsubishi and the made in japan parts that go into a Cedia (or any other version of the Lancer) have no semblance to anything in an Accent.

Last edited by Technocrat : 15th May 2013 at 19:44. Reason: Back to back posts merged, Thanks
Old 15th May 2013, 17:56   #549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post

Are you sure on this? Well I have a Cedia currently and earlier had an Accent and I couldn't see any resembling part, I think only common thing between these 2 cars are the driving position that too only to certain extent and may be somewhat similar back seats.

Incase you can get hold of a good Cedia, just go for it. It's a decision you'll never regret. In terms of driving performance it can give a real run for the money to other cars in this segment. I've OHC Vtec, Cedia Sports and Civic with me, while all these 3 cars are drivers delight but Cedia is the one which in spite of the weight similar to Civic feels as light as OHC Vtec. Cedia if driven properly will deliver 11-12 kmpl. And by driven properly only means that drive between 1700 rpm to 3000 rpm. You will not find need to redline this car as the torque is quite high for this car. Also it's one of the most refined engine.
saurabhkum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2013, 18:10   #550
BHPian

Re: Cedia or Honda City

Worldwide people who buy Lancer buy them because they want Lancer, period. The mindset of kitna deti hai, spare availability etc. are very mundane to them. Of course they also drive other cars which suit them in daily errands. So if you want to let your hair down and enjoy the rush of adrenaline, go for Lancer with your heart, let your brain take some rest!!!
Old 9th June 2013, 12:14   #551
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

Planning to move out my 10 yrs old OHC to bring a pre worshiped car from civic and altis segment.
Had earlier thought of civic but due to so low ground clearance and honda being expensive to maintain than toyota I switched to altis though I will miss spirited honda drives but altis will keep me happy for a longer period.
Then I thought of getting a diesel one as recently I started having more mileage per month due to frequent site visits.
So which car to go for I am not being able to decide.

Last edited by Honda Monk : 9th June 2013 at 12:19.
Old 9th June 2013, 17:23   #552
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Monk View Post
Then I thought of getting a diesel one as recently I started having more mileage per month due to frequent site visits.
So which car to go for I am not being able to decide.
If diesel, used Optra Magnum is the best option (from the cars I have driven). I have done a quite a lot of highway drives in Magnum, it is really fun to drive compared to my Linea and friend's Fiesta. You can get one for around 4L

If petrol, out of Civic and Altis, former is more fun to drive where as the later has good GC. Not sure about the maintenance cost of Altis, we own a Civic for past 6 years with an average maintenance cost of around 0.6 INR/km (we service the car every 10k km, and the maximum bill is around 7k INR for regular service) Major replacement is Engine mounts changed at 50k km under warranty. Nothing more than that.

Last edited by Mr.Boss : 9th June 2013 at 17:27.
Old 9th June 2013, 22:05   #553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
If diesel, used Optra Magnum is the best option (from the cars I have driven).
Major replacement is Engine mounts changed at 50k km under warranty. Nothing more than that.
Thanks for suggestion Boss.
Optra no specific reason but I just never liked the car and it's american so no no considering maintenance of an old horse.
I will go for a european or jap only.
Regarding the civic, I just love the car But I am going to buy a used car and may be 3 years or 4 years old and there seem to be problems cropping up in non-engine mechanicals in honda after 6-7 years ( I am facing in my OHC), whereas such issues are not heard in toyotas (as I have tried to search for toyotas as well). Toyota owners are far much happier and satisfied lot in terms of maintenance even after 9-10 years. Looking long term ownership cost I was inclined towards toyota.
Old 10th June 2013, 21:13   #554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Monk View Post
Optra no specific reason but I just never liked the car and it's american so no no considering maintenance of an old horse.
I will go for a european or jap only.
If I'm not mistaken, the Optra was originally a Korean (Daewoo) car.
Old 10th June 2013, 22:37   #555
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post

If I'm not mistaken, the Optra was originally a Korean (Daewoo) car.
A daewoo nubira.
Also a Chevy lacetti, but yes, originally Korean..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks