Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2012, 00:04   #391
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

The last time I drove the Polo 1.6, I was not left awe struck. It ain't all that fast compared to your Ritz 1.2L. Handling wise they are very different but in-gear acceleration wise I found the Ritz to have an edge and the Polo had this strange lag every time you floor it. Have you thought of installing stage 1 mods to your Ritz and use it as your daily drive?? A good intake, exhaust, fatter rubber (and even springs if you have to) and you have a new car customised to your taste.

I would have suggested you a Punto 1.4 or an Octi RS but since you want something relatively trouble-free and new a Fiesta would probably be your best bet.

Edit: Oops I did not see the date of the last post. Actually even I am kind of in the same dilemma hence...

Last edited by S2!!! : 7th July 2012 at 00:06.
Old 7th July 2012, 00:11   #392
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post

I would have suggested you a Punto 1.4
The Punto 1.4, even though a great car overall, isn't great when it comes to performance.

When looking for a hatchback, we test-drove the 1.4 and it just didn't feel like it was putting out 90 horses. In fact, it was a tad sluggish and lacked grunt when we needed it the most. Blame it on the gearing.

The Punto 1.3 MJD is more of an enthusiast car than the petrol 1.4. And despite the 90 horses, it is horrible when it comes to fuel-efficiency. While my Jazz returns a healthy 14 km/l in the city and the odd 19 km/l on highway drives, the Punto would do good if it delivered anything more than 11 in the city and 14 on highway drives.

The engine may be good, but the gear-ratios need work.
Old 7th July 2012, 00:18   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The Punto 1.4, even though a great car overall, isn't great when it comes to performance.
I too found the Punto sluggish and there is no denying the fact that at times you feel like you can walk faster. The reason I mentioned a Punto 1.4 was solely because of its handling capabilities. It may not win a drag race with an Swift on a traffic light but show it some curves and it shows the others who is boss. An enthusiastic car may not necessarily be a power packed monster, it can be a corner carver as well and that is what the Punto exactly is.
S2!!! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2012, 00:26   #394
BHPian

Speaking of hatches i wonder why noone spoke about the figo tdci. Extremely vfm plus stable at high speeds and a very good corner carver as well. Just my thoughts. Even though ive the petrol one i wont suggest it as not many can extract the mileage. Tdci serves all intents and purposes.
Parthasarathig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2012, 00:50   #395
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
I too found the Punto sluggish and there is no denying the fact that at times you feel like you can walk faster. The reason I mentioned a Punto 1.4 was solely because of its handling capabilities. It may not win a drag race with an Swift on a traffic light but show it some curves and it shows the others who is boss. An enthusiastic car may not necessarily be a power packed monster, it can be a corner carver as well and that is what the Punto exactly is.
And that's why I'd said that it's a good car overall, albeit a good enthusiast car overall. It has appeal that very few cars actually have. It looks very classy and it has that typical Fiat flair of things being cheap in a nice way. I mean, the interior is okay in terms of quality. But it's a great drive. The steering is very precise and has great feel. It's planted on longer drives too. So it would make a good enthusiast's car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Speaking of hatches i wonder why noone spoke about the figo tdci. Extremely vfm plus stable at high speeds and a very good corner carver as well. Just my thoughts. Even though ive the petrol one i wont suggest it as not many can extract the mileage. Tdci serves all intents and purposes.
Agree completely. Fords are not new in the handling department. At least the European lot. The Figo's chassis is derived from the old gen Fiesta in the UK. And that car is known for its handling. All that TDCi Figo needs is a diesel tuning-box and some sorted rubber and you're good to go!
Old 7th July 2012, 13:40   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Fiat Palio 1.6

Attachment 328307

Prices we've seen : Rs. 1.00 - 1.75 lakhs
Availability : Average. Expect footwork to find a good Palio 1.6 cheap. You can also buy a new one for under 5 lakhs, but used makes more sense (high depreciation)

What you'll like:
  • 1.6 liter 100 BHP engine. Torquey too. India's 1st hot hatch
  • 100 BHP for Rs. 1,00,000 only. Maximum bang for the buck
  • European build. Feels solid
  • Excellent ride quality and high speed stability
  • Spacious interiors (by hatchback standards)
  • Well-proportioned styling. Still a looker
What you won't like:
  • Average braking ability
  • Poor fuel efficiency, relative to the hatch segment
  • Fit & finish are unimpressive
  • Ordinary interiors
  • Frequent niggling issues. Spares aren't easily available

Some ownership reviews on the car (Please search for the complete list):

Some discussions on the car (Please search for the complete list):
Can any of the experts here can help on this - wanted to know how is the Palio 1.9D compared to the petrol 1.6? Does it have more niggles and problems or is still as rock solid as its petrol counterpart. Especially in terms of the engine.
Old 8th July 2012, 08:54   #397

Have owned a 1.6 S for 3 years now and I remember putting up my first post on Team BHP when I got it. The Aquarius still turns heads where it goes and will smile all the way to 6500 rpm and then ask for more. Saw 160 on the speedo the other day and although it's stable it's never boring. You have to be awake. The chassis and suspension setup is perfect and those 195 55s15 will put a wrinkle on the Tarmac before they loose grip. Hands down this is the best drivers car this side of the 3 series.

But unfortunately for me it's time to move on to something bigger for the family. Will be up on classifieds today!
Anuj_G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2012, 11:31   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anuj_G View Post
Will be up on classifieds today!
Waiting for the same.
If possible can you please mail me the details on shekhar_sikkim5 (at) yahoo dot com also.
Old 9th July 2012, 17:35   #399
BHPian

Quote:
But unfortunately for me it's time to move on to something bigger for the family. Will be up on classifieds today!
Hey... It must be sad to let her go!

Can you PM me the details please? A Fiesta 1.6 would be the dream I looked in the classifieds but realized you haven't put up the ad yet.

Thanks!

------

Also, thanks everyone for all your suggestions on the Fiesta v/s Polo query. I drove both a Polo 1.6 and a Fiesta 1.6 Sxi this weekend, and I can safely say that the German is no match for the sporty ol' American.

On a side note, I drove the Fiesta 1.6 I was talking about - 2010, 24k kms, single owner. Immaculately maintained, full service history, on sale by a passionate owner - nothing except minor bumper scratches, and original paint. No vibrations, idles and revvs beautifully, and is more or less like new. I'm floored. Trying to cut a deal - asking price has come to 4.7-4.8 from the original but ridiculous 5.5. Going by the current prices and discounts on the Fiesta classic, and the current petrol used car market, I believe the value should be as low as ~4.0 - 4.3. I may be wrong, but this is what the market seems to suggest. Any suggestions on the price point are more than welcome!

Last edited by ayushagarwal26 : 9th July 2012 at 17:42. Reason: Adding more points I skipped in the first post
Old 11th July 2012, 13:17   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Will be up on classifieds today!
Hey Anuj, I tried to contact you but it seems you have both email / PMs disabled. In case you are indeed selling your Fiesta 1.6S, can you please send me the details at ayushagarwal26 at gmail dot com? Alternatively, if you don't mind sharing your phone number, I could call you (or send you my number in reply to your email) - whatever suits you.

Thanks!
Old 12th July 2012, 00:48   #401
NeO

Hi gurus
I came across a polo 1.6 2010 mid for 4 lac
Yet to see the car, will update once I check her out
Wanted to know is this a good deal
Also way FE can one expect from a 1.6 considering I ride about 1k km month

Last edited by Eddy : 23rd October 2018 at 10:42. Reason: SMS Language
Old 13th July 2012, 16:27   #402

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.shekhar View Post
Waiting for the same.
If possible can you please mail me the details on shekhar_sikkim5 (at) yahoo dot com also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayushagarwal26 View Post
Hey Anuj, I tried to contact you but it seems you have both email / PMs disabled. In case you are indeed selling your Fiesta 1.6S, can you please send me the details at ayushagarwal26 at gmail dot com? Alternatively, if you don't mind sharing your phone number, I could call you (or send you my number in reply to your email) - whatever suits you.

Thanks!
Sorry folks. Got a bit delayed in posting it up on classifieds. Its up now: http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...d/Fiesta.html/

Check it out. Its a really really nice car.
Old 15th July 2012, 10:46   #403
BHPian

Been reading a lot, and just now got a query from a friend.

He is interested in this very budget of 6L,
and has got as a priority in his mind:

1) Long term running cost
2) Ease of locating servicing centers.

He is now hell bent on purchasing a Diesel version due to obvious reasons and has 3 models for consideration.

a) Swift diesel
b) Ritz dieslel
c) Ford Figo Diesel again.

So pls drop in some words regarding these 3 models.

d)Also, i was a bit hardpressed to recommend him the Swift dezire, even though he is only looking at a hatchback, cuz this friend of mine is gonna be married soon.. and i think a sedan will kinda prove future security IF he plans upgrade / finds hatchback insufficient.

Pls do pour in your suggestions regarding which hatchback is suitable out of the 3 models, and about my thinking regarding the Swift Dezire as well. Thx in advance guys
Old 21st July 2012, 00:53   #404
BHPian

Help me decide an used enthusiast's car in 4.5 lacs.

Dad is planning to buy a Cruze, so I'll be getting his Corolla. Now, I don't want to use a car with a boring 1800cc engine with a slushbox so I am planning to sell it and buy some good enthusiast's car. First, I thought of restricting my budget to 2.5l, but with limited options, I increased it to 4.5l. Here's a short summary of what I'd like in the car. I am looking only for used cars.

What matters:

Initial pickup: Yes, I'd love the 'thrown-back-into-your-seat' kinda feeling. A good 0-100 also matters.
Reliability: The car will do only a maximum for 3-4k a year, so I don't want to spend a fortune on maintaining it.
Petrol: Due to the low running, a petrol seems fine for me.
Features: The more the features, the better.
Mod-friendly: Though I'll keep the car stock for about an year, it should be mod friendly because I plan to do performance upgrades after a year.
Availability of spares: Spares should be easily available even after 3-4 years.
Safety: 2 airbags & ABS/EBD is a must.

What doesn't matter:

Looks & snob value: Doesn't matter much, I just need something which will be fun to drive.
Mileage: Anything above 8kmpl in city will do just fine.
Resale: I'll use the car for another 3-4 years, so resale is another thing I don't care about.

Potential contenders:

Skoda Octavia vRS
Positives:
Found a few for sale between 3.00 to 4.00 lacs, and this is what my heart wants.
Has a great pickup, has plenty of features and is mod-friendly.

Negatives:
What concerns me is the maintenance. I could afford 40-50k a year on maintenance, but spending that amount on a car which just runs hardly a couple of thousand kilometers doesn't convince my head.

Mitsubishi Cedia
Positives:
Few available in the market, but at a throwaway price. If I go for this, I'll save myself a lac or two easily which can be spent later for modding.
Good handler and reliable too.

Negatives:
Spares availability after a couple of years because the future of Mitsubishi in India seems a bit uncertain to me.
Lacks the features and pickup of the vRS.

Honda Civic
Positives:
Looks sexy, easily available in the market but I might spend up more than the planned budget. Honda service and reliability, spares not that expensive and easily available.

Negatives:
Bad low end torque would be a pain to drive in the city.
Less on features.
Low GC.

Optra Magnum
Positives: Has a diesel engine, so I won't have to think twice on taking the car for long drives.

Negatives: Car already discontinued, can have spares problem?

So what do you guys suggest? This is my first car, so it will be a keeper for at least a few years.

Last edited by prateekm : 21st July 2012 at 00:56.
Old 21st July 2012, 01:22   #405
Team-BHP Support

Re: Help me decide an used enthusiast's car in 4.5 lacs.

If you want a fun car that won't break your bank, a Maruti Swift is the way to go. A well maintained low-mileage Swift would be your best bet. You might even have some money left over for the modifications. And if you find a well maintained and low-mileage (pre-facelift) G13B powered Swift, that would be even better!

The Swift is a fun car. Very chuck-able, nimble, mod-friendly, etc.

The cars mentioned here, especially the vRS, will command premium maintenance costs. Plus, they're pretty big especially when you add city-driving to the equation.

Unfortunately, cars have become less fun to drive these days. Remember the glorious Zen?
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks