Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th February 2020, 08:33   #496
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: The Beauty of Lateral Upgrades (Getting MORE CAR for LESS $$$)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Bangalore Prices are 30% higher due to higher taxation. Again, Delhi and Mumbai, supply exceeds demand, simple economics.

Your friends car would have sold for around the same price as what we paid for the A6 - Age or miles - your choice, we bought purely on condition!
That A6 deal was a great one by BLR standards.

Have a query: How difficult or worthwhile is it to buy a NCR-registered solidly known and vouched-for luxury vehicle like a BMW 3/4 or Merc C/E, bring it down to BLR, re-register and claim back the earlier road tax from the relevant NCR RTO?

Is it all worth it? Gut feel it is not, else we would have heard about this practice on TBHP itself.

Last edited by itwasntme : 29th February 2020 at 08:48.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 14:14   #497
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

Have a query: How difficult or worthwhile is it to buy a NCR-registered solidly known and vouched-for luxury vehicle like a BMW 3/4 or Merc C/E, bring it down to BLR, re-register and claim back the earlier road tax from the relevant NCR RTO?

Is it all worth it? Gut feel it is not, else we would have heard about this practice on TBHP itself.
I tried that with the Skoda RS which I bought from Mumbai

1: Need to get NOC - drove around for over a month as the original papers were held up getting the NOC. Make sure you have an efficient mechanism to obtain the NOC

2: Change of Ownership and Tax - You nee to present the car, sometimes the RTO inspector has to appear in court or similar so your time goes for a six. Next is thr assessment for road tax. I was nearly charged the same as a new RS. I luckily took the print out from dealer and argued my case.

3:Claiming back Tax - easier to get blood from a stone. Delhi and NCR, the tax is negligible.

Last edited by ajmat : 29th February 2020 at 18:19.
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th February 2020, 17:59   #498
BHPian

Quote:
3:Claiming back Tax - easier to get blood from a stone. Delhi and NCR, the tax is negligible.
Is it possible to get the tax paid as refund if you buy preowned car and transfer it to another state. How much % of tax paid is refunded by primary state where car is first registered?

Last edited by ajmat : 29th February 2020 at 18:17.
Old 1st March 2020, 20:43   #499
BHPian

Quote:
I beg to differ. Paying around 50% of the purchase price after 8 years is way too much. After 8 years you should not pay more than 25% of the price. Such a vehicle in Delhi wouldn’t fetch even 8 lakhs due to the 10 year rule. It can be a little more in Bangalore but not more than double the Delhi price. In any case, the value is in the eyes of the buyer. If he or she is happy with the purchase then any price is justified.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2020, 06:20   #500
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
I beg to differ. Paying around 50% of the purchase price after 8 years is way too much. After 8 years you should not pay more than 25% of the price. Such a vehicle in Delhi wouldn’t fetch even 8 lakhs due to the 10 year rule. It can be a little more in Bangalore but not more than double the Delhi price. In any case, the value is in the eyes of the buyer. If he or she is happy with the purchase then any price is justified.
You've made your point . However, as others have pointed out, there is simply no rationale in comparing BLR & DEL prices. Even if you leave aside the 10 year rule, the sheer supply of luxury vehicles in DEL is enormous as well as the depth of the second-hand market.

Just as an example based on a cursory search, there are only 20 A6s listed on Carwale in BLR compared to 69 in DEL! Do keep in mind that there is a lot of latent demand in BLR for such vehicles - just that we don't get the excellent prices enjoyed in DEL .
itwasntme is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2020, 13:21   #501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have a query: How difficult or worthwhile is it to buy a NCR-registered solidly known and vouched-for luxury vehicle like a BMW 3/4 or Merc C/E,
Most luxury vehicles in Hyderabad that I spot are either DL or PY registered. In some cases the deals are so sweet that there would be a good saving of 2-5L even after paying the road tax and getting re-registered in an another state and without even factoring any tax refund from the previously registered RTO.

In short, if I am in the market for a luxury car I would rather make friends and trust a Bhpian from Delhi and take his help in buying a car from Delhi if it saves a moolah after considering the re-registration charges.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2020, 13:45   #502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
In short, if I am in the market for a luxury car I would rather make friends and trust a Bhpian from Delhi and take his help in buying a car from Delhi if it saves a moolah after considering the re-registration charges.
Now no-one needs to keep running around agents in the RTO, everything is online and hassle free unlike earlier when the leaves from a tree won't fall without asking the agent
revvharder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 19:18   #503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep500 View Post
Is it possible to get the tax paid as refund if you buy preowned car and transfer it to another state. How much % of tax paid is refunded by primary state where car is first registered?
No only the first owner can claim road tax refund. And that too if the car is being transferred to another state by the first owner itself after showing proof of tax paid in the new state of registration. Any change in ownership and this option goes out of the window.
nkapoor777 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 21:57   #504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

2: Change of Ownership and Tax - You nee to present the car, sometimes the RTO inspector has to appear in court or similar so your time goes for a six. Next is thr assessment for road tax. I was nearly charged the same as a new RS. I luckily took the print out from dealer and argued my case.

Hi Ajit,
Could you please elaborate on the Road tax part and the print out.
What I learnt here in Bangalore is that they consider the Invoice value of car + VAT 14% and based on that they calculate the tax on pro rata basis.
Old 5th December 2020, 02:42   #505
BHPian

I'm seeing some ads for 2011,2012 Mercedes C Class 200 for 8L in Kolkata.
How advisable is this price? Kolkata has a rule of paying taxes every 5 yrs.
How much would be the annual maintenance charges?
I'm a frugal person but a car enthusiast as well, this seems to be my chance.
But I'm wary that I might be missing some angle.
Old 5th December 2020, 16:05   #506
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by four.bytes View Post
But I'm wary that I might be missing some angle.
Yes, the maintenance angle!

Maintenance on average for an excellent condition car will still be around Rs. 1 lakh / year due to wear and tear bits, and our conditions.

At this age, the suspension starts giving away, rubber parts start becoming hard, etc.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 20:42   #507
BHPian

There is a 2018 Dzire Vdi available in my family. The car has run 30k Km and is in good condition. The asking price is 5.75 lakhs with no scope for negotiation.

I am tempted to "upgrade" from my 2012 Swift Vdi which has run 89k Km, and is also in good condition. I believe I might get between 3.5-4 lakhs for it in Mumbai.

There are two things holding me back:
1. I wanted an auto: My wife has wanted to start driving and an auto might be better for her. However, I can live with manual as the Swift serves as the beater of the house and I love its manual gearbox.

2. It's in a different state and i'll have to transport it to Mumbai.

Is this a sweet deal that I should close, or wait for a decent automatic in Mumbai itself?
Old 9th March 2021, 20:01   #508
BHPian

Hello fellow bhp-ians, I am in yet another dilemma. In one of the other threads I posed a question on whether to look at a used 3 vs 5 series, albeit being in 2 different price brackets.

I kind of now got to a point where I am thinking, based on view points from this forum in general and from @GTO in particular, of increasing my budget and getting a car for longer. My current car is a Duster which is now almost 8 years old and has done 80K. I had a 2007 Innova which is now sold (had 165K on it). So I feel I can indeed hold on to a car for 7-8 years for sure.

My budget is 35 lacs (+5 or 10% if push comes shove). I have 2 options in my hand, go for a new Superb or Buy a used 2-3 year old 520d. I have never owned a luxury car and am the average Software Joe. I am on a tight budget on Maintenance and would not want to spend more than 100-120K on the car including insurance until the EMI ends. I am planning to put down at least 40-50% as down payment. My driving is split 75:25 between City:Highway respectively. I will be keeping the Duster, which means the average running of the car that I pickup will be around 8-10K per year.

What would you guys suggest ? I am not Interested in SUV/MUV as I have been driving that body type for almost 12 years and feel I need a change now.
shabash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 22:12   #509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabash View Post

My budget is 35 lacs (+5 or 10% if push comes shove). I have 2 options in my hand, go for a new Superb or Buy a used 2-3 year old 520d. I have never owned a luxury car and am the average Software Joe. I am on a tight budget on Maintenance and would not want to spend more than 100-120K on the car including insurance until the EMI ends. I am planning to put down at least 40-50% as down payment. My driving is split 75:25 between City:Highway respectively. I will be keeping the Duster, which means the average running of the car that I pickup will be around 8-10K per year.
Your fixed expenses (not accounting for any surprises) will be more than 1.2L per year for a 2-3 year old 520d, as the insurance itself will be more than half of that amount. Regular service will be ~30K, and tyres (~80K for all 4 every 30K km) plus brake pads (40-50k for all 4?) will cost a big chunk of money every few years.

You can either reduce your budget and pick up a recent 320d for ~25L, which will be cheaper to maintain and more importantly, to insure. Or you can increase your insurance + maintenance budget for the 520d to at least 1.5L. Personally, I'd suggest the 3'er, as it's better to spend what you can comfortably and enjoy the car, rather than keep worrying about the expenses
d3mon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 23:16   #510
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabash View Post

My budget is 35 lacs (+5 or 10% if push comes shove). I have 2 options in my hand, go for a new Superb or Buy a used 2-3 year old 520d. I have never owned a luxury car and am the average Software Joe. I am on a tight budget on Maintenance and would not want to spend more than 100-120K on the car including insurance until the EMI ends. I will be keeping the Duster, which means the average running of the car that I pickup will be around 8-10K per year.
If you go the pre-owned way, I would advise keeping the budget restricted to ₹30L, thereby allowing you a cool ₹5L spare for bigger maintenance items.

Now within this budget, you would most likely find the F10 5 series, or the F30 3 series. Both the 5 & the 3 would be over 3-4 years old keeping in mind the prices down south, and as Demon pointed out - you should keep some money aside for new tyres, battery, brake discs & pads, etc.

Since both these models would be the facelift LCI variants, most niggles should be sorted and car should be reliable (do check service history : generally if its been reliable than it will continue to be reliable barring age / wear related failures : including rubber components, various smaller but expensive motors, etc.

There are some common niggles that you should account for : the famous ABS sensor, sticky door handles, etc. Do your research on what to look out for.

Key point to managing maintenance costs however is finding a good independent mechanic who can source quality parts for you. This will go a long way in reducing costs.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks