Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2024, 10:25   #5131
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrider1 View Post
I am thinking of buying a dashcam for my new car, and was trying to decide whether to go for a front only or front+rear dashcam. I got curious about % of accidents that occur when someone hits the car from behind. I checked in the 2022 Accidents data published by MoRTH, and was a bit surprised to find that "Hit from back" accidents at ~20% are more common than head on collision accidents at ~16%. And even "Hit from side" at ~14% is very close, I guess those mostly occur at crossings or signals, where someone jumps a signal, or is not careful enough to check traffic on other roads. I see there are some options available for 4 channel dashcam as well, but they do not seem to be very popular in India yet. I dont like the idea of installing cameras for side view, but theoretically, it appears as important as front and back !
Perhaps, the very essential part of having a dashcam is to cover you in case being accused of inappropriate driving manners/causing damages (assuming one is not at fault). For that a front dashcam is more often all that you need.

For damages that may happen by bumping vehicles from rear or sides, a zero dep policy is a more peace of mind solution (IMHO).

However, no harm in going for all round cover by adding more dashcams unless that causes conflict with the warranty clause.
raktim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2024, 20:43   #5132

Quote:
Originally Posted by raktim View Post
Perhaps, the very essential part of having a dashcam is to cover you in case being accused of inappropriate driving manners/causing damages (assuming one is not at fault). For that a front dashcam is more often all that you need.
This is a very good point. I think some dashcams, if not all, also capture the speed. And even if not, it can be inferred to some extent from the front video, at least to determine if one was overspeeding or not.

The other benefit of dashcams is, in case of a hit and run, the number plate can be recorded, which would be useful for filing a police complaint. I think the rear/side cameras would be primarily useful for this. Though in most cases, one should be able to read or record the number plate in mobile phone.
Old 17th March 2024, 20:28   #5133
BHPian

Has anyone faced an issue with their Qubo dashcam where it dosen't automatically continously record ? Once I put it in the trip mode manually it records without any problem .
Old 19th March 2024, 17:22   #5134
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Need help on CPL filter for Dual channel 70 Mai AS500+ Dashcam on XL6.

The Dash cam was bought from official 70 Mai tore in US during one of my trips. Assuming it to be same as being sold by Nexdigitron, I deliberately did not picked up the CPL filter and same was ordered via them.

Dashcam is installed right behind the OVRM and not visible from inside the car. I have followed all the instructions being given by them, tried rotating the CPL filter and everything but I am unable to get rid of dashboard & golden Idol glare in front cam. Just wondering how do i get rid of it or this is expected even with CPL filter as well and can be ignored.

Old 20th March 2024, 09:00   #5135

I have shortlisted following two dashcams based on my requirements (Capacitor, GPS logging, reliability, decent App connectivity over Wifi)

Nexdigitron Prime Dual
+ Decent video quality with dual channel at price of 8.5k
+ Has Sony Starvis IMX 335 sensor
? Unsure about longer term reliability
? Mobile phone app connectivity and performance (Gaddicam app has low number of ratings, but decent so far)
- Does not have HDR
- Supports 2K resolution at 30fps only
? No display (not a deal breaker for me)

Viofo A119 Mini 2
+ Known to be reliable
+ Good mobile phone app
+ Has Sony Starvis2 IMX 675 sensor
+ Supports 2K resolution at 60fps
- Much costlier than Nexdigitron but perhaps VFM considering peace of mind
- It seems there is no option to add a rear dashcam later (an independent one can be added, but I wouldnt want to do that)

So the choice is between a decent dual channel dashcam, and a good front only dashcam. I didnt consider other Viofo dual channel models as those are outside my budget.
I think 70-80% of my driving is going to be in day light, so I am wondering if I should let go of HDR. Looking at night time recordings from the Nexdigitron cam on Youtube, I think the video quality is decent, though it cannot capture number plates in all cases. So I am leaning towards Nexdigitron, if the question marks are not a concern.

Can experienced Nexdigitron Prime dual users comment on the reliability and App performance please ?
Old 20th March 2024, 20:15   #5136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemya View Post
The local VW dealer in Pune is offering the DHC C01 dashcam ( front and rear) for Around Rs 17.5k including fitting.

Tried to find reviews about this product but not much luck. Also their website does not say if the product has Li-ion or capacitor type batteries. Anyone heard about this brand?
http://www.dhcindia.com/dhc-dashcam.html
Even my Hyundai dealer is offering DHC C01N for 18k. Did you get the above-mentioned dashcam installed or did you go for some other brand?
Old 23rd March 2024, 17:54   #5137
BHPian

I have installed dual cam Wolfbox G840H in my XUV. It costed me Rs 18000 with hardwiring kit. Ordered it from Delhi based authorised dealer. Got it installed at the local car accessories shop.

It's a mirror based cam. With resolutions 4K front cam and 2.5k rear cam.
Dislikes:
1. It takes time to get used to look into camera feed for rear view.
2. Under direct sunlight, screen isn't bright enough and often you have to adjust your viewing angle
3. Screen with front cam is mounted on IRVM. I observed after some days, due to its weight, mirror ball joint couldn't hold it in position. And it started going down rendering front cam focus away from the road. To fix it, I applied feviquick at the mirror ball joint.
4. Front cam view is partially blocked by XUV's ADAS radar unit.

1. Rear cam has wide angle lens covering all blind spots as well as corners. Helps in maneavouring large car like XUV
2. Day time as well as night time recording video quality is good
3. Rear seat occupants or luggage in the boot can't block driver's rear view as is the case with IRVM
4. Auto dimming is taken care, XUV lacks auto dim IRVM
5. Hardwiring kit gives clean look and installation. XUV has only one 12v socket, that too is located at the third row seats.
6. I can access live feed and all the recordings via Wolfbox mobile app when it's connected to the dashcam. No need to remove SD card like traditional dash cams.

Some pics:
Attached Thumbnails
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-20240323_164729.jpg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-20240323_164737.jpg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-20240323_164748.jpg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-20240323_164810.jpg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-20240323_164821.jpg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-20240323_165655.jpg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-20240323_165721.jpg  

StepUP! is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2024, 18:34   #5138
BHPian

Video recordings

Old 24th March 2024, 14:15   #5139
BHPian

I'm installing a 70mai A810 on a 2021 Harrier, using the hardwire kit since I need parking surveillance. The kit says that the lower voltage cutoff is at 11.6V, post which power to the dashcam is cutoff. This 11.6V sounds too low but I'm unable to figure out if this is good enough for the Harrier to start -- anyone have an idea?
Old 24th March 2024, 17:44   #5140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwiz1 View Post
I'm installing a 70mai A810 on a 2021 Harrier, using the hardwire kit since I need parking surveillance. The kit says that the lower voltage cutoff is at 11.6V, post which power to the dashcam is cutoff. This 11.6V sounds too low but I'm unable to figure out if this is good enough for the Harrier to start -- anyone have an idea?
I keep my Ddpai low voltage cutoff at 12.4V and I don't think it has caused any issues for me. 11.6v sounds really low.

Aren't there any settings on the camera to update the cutoff voltage? If your car is left unattended for multiple days a low voltage cutoff might be an issue.
Old 24th March 2024, 20:43   #5141
mxx
BHPian

I dont see many recommendation for Qubo dashcam. The spec sheet shows Sony IMX 415, and the pricing is decent. What are the cons then?
I am on the lookout for 4k dashcam (no need of dual cam).
Old 24th March 2024, 23:00   #5142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Aren't there any settings on the camera to update the cutoff voltage?

No, not with 70mai, the cutoff voltage is set on the hardwire chip.
Old 25th March 2024, 11:37   #5143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrider1 View Post
Can experienced Nexdigitron Prime dual users comment on the reliability and App performance please ?
Please refer to my review earlier in this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvlkiran View Post
The recording is reliable. The Gaadicam app (companion app to be used) is quite simple to use. You can turn cabin voice recording on / off, or change the recording duration from 1 minute (default) to 3 minutes. Those are the only control options available, apart from the viewing / downloading. The recorded files are generated for front & rear cameras separately in the specified duration (1 minute or 3 minutes). Live view on the app can show front / rear or combined views from the camera(s). The download on WiFi is extremely slow (1 minute clip takes 30 seconds to download). For bulk copy, removing the SD card and copying it directly to phone / laptop may be preferred.

Overall it's a budget dual camera and the quality is according to that. My requirement is just to have some footage from both front & rear in case of any road rage incident or an accident and that is met by this dual dashcam.
rvlkiran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2024, 11:42   #5144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
I dont see many recommendation for Qubo dashcam. The spec sheet shows Sony IMX 415, and the pricing is decent. What are the cons then?
I am on the lookout for 4k dashcam (no need of dual cam).
It's a good product, but since it was recently launched, there haven't been any long-term reliability reviews yet. We can't judge its performance based on a few instances of failure or praise. It still needs to gain more popularity among users to spark broader discussion. As of now, it's still a new product and has yet to prove its worth.
Old 25th March 2024, 19:52   #5145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
Need help on CPL filter for Dual channel 70 Mai AS500+ Dashcam on XL6.
The CPL filter seems to be doing its job (from the minimal idol related glare that I see in the video).
I have the entry level M300 and I've found a setting of the CPL filter on which the idol glare is at the minimum. I have not been able to eliminate it fully.
jomson13 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks