Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2016, 23:23   #766
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Guys, I want to pick your brains. My dashcam has both, a front as well as a rear cam, and they pick up reflections from the dashboard as well as the rear parcel tray, which is a shade of beige. At the moment I have draped a black cloth over the parcel tray, which has stopped the reflections of the speakers, but it doesn't stop the reflections and dispersion effects of the direct sunrays, so I thought, why not try to fit the CPL filters, which are designed for the mini 0806, to these two cams? They are attached magnetically, so all I have to do is stick on small pieces of MS or magnets taken off fridge stickers to the area around the lenses and the CPL filters, 24mm in dia, should stick to them. What do you think?
I've attached pics of my cam, as well as the CPL filters available on AliExpress.
Attached Thumbnails
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-my-dashcam.jpg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-cpl-filter-mini-0806.jpg  

Old 24th February 2016, 23:34   #767
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarPatel View Post
... .
Had a chat with the seller regarding the 64GB memory card that I was buying from Snapdeal.

He said it'll work without any issue. Have placed an order for it too.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 23:40   #768
Senior - BHPian

I use CPL filters with my dash cams and though it is great during daytime, at night it can get pretty dark!

You will have to experiment with your dashcams to see if you can leave it on during night drives or will have to remove it.
Old 24th February 2016, 23:45   #769
BHPian

Great, so I think it'll be worth it to invest 1200 bucks on two filters and see how it goes. I was hoping they would also reduce the glare caused by high beams at night. At the moment the high beams almost completely destroy the view, especially of the rear cam.
Old 24th February 2016, 23:58   #770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarPatel View Post
Great, so I think it'll be worth it to invest 1200 bucks on two filters and see how it goes. I was hoping they would also reduce the glare caused by high beams at night. At the moment the high beams almost completely destroy the view, especially of the rear cam.
With these filters, you will need to check for proper orientation and then attach them to the lenses.
Mine came pre-oriented and attached to a 3d printed clip of sorts that slides over the lens.

I dunno if they can cancel out the high beam glare. But your daytime videos will be more vivid and colorful!
Old 25th February 2016, 00:04   #771
BHPian

Thanks Sohail, since they'll be stuck on magnetically I should be able to figure out the best orientation and then mark it with a bit of white correction ink. I'll place my order for two filters tomorrow itself. Cheers
Old 25th February 2016, 00:44   #772
BHPian

I am looking for a budget DVR and there seems to be big market for all kinds of budget. To begin with,

- is it recommended to have a rear mirror integrated DVR or a stand alone unit. I extensively use the internal rear view mirror during my drive and will the integrated rear view mirror hinder the view?
- Will the power significantly drain off the car battery?
- Alternatively can we use a power bank instead of connecting to the car battery?
Old 25th February 2016, 05:47   #773
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
If the video has to be shown as evidence, then in most of the cases it will go against the person,thanks to the ridiculous speed limits in some parts in the country.
I think it is a boon, that you can see the speed, using a special software!
Totally agree. I too decided to ignore this disadvantage as we do not have properly defined or enforced speed limits here in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhandary View Post
- is it recommended to have a rear mirror integrated DVR or a stand alone unit. I extensively use the internal rear view mirror during my drive and will the integrated rear view mirror hinder the view?
- Will the power significantly drain off the car battery?
- Alternatively can we use a power bank instead of connecting to the car battery?
1. IRVM integrated dashcams will not hinder the view on the mirror. In fact, they integrate well into the car better than stand alone dashcams. But I do not know if there are any performance issues with IRVM integrated dashcams.
2. Dashcams usually draw about 1A of power at 5V, which is just 5W. On the battery this would result in a current draw of about 0.5A. This is not at all a problem as the dashcam is going to be on only when the ignition is on.
3. Only if you are planning to keep the dashcam always on even when the car is parked and ignition is turned on, you will have to consider using a power bank. Also, there are some dedicated power supplies that connect directly to the battery and continuous supply to the dashcam, but switch off when battery voltage goes below a particular voltage, thus preventing overdraining of the battery.
Old 25th February 2016, 07:22   #774
BHPian

Two issues will crop up if you clip on an IRVM integrated dashcam on to your existing mirror, as I discovered in my case, when I clipped on an integrated IRVM/reversing cam mirror.
1. If your original mirror is stuck on the windscreen, the additional weight of the new mirror can cause the mirror to get detached from its mount. This happened with me when the adhesive pad holding my original mirror slowly gave way about 18 months after I clipped on the rev cam mirror. A replacement pad gave way in 2 months, so I fashioned a mount for my rev cam on my dashboard. Of course, if your original mirror is screwed onto your headliner then this issue does not arise.
2. If you use the IRVM integrated cam then the day/night feature of your original mirror is rendered useless. I didn't realise this in my car since I had the rev cam installed before taking delivery.
Hope this helps.
FarPatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 08:46   #775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
If the video has to be shown as evidence, then in most of the cases it will go against the person,thanks to the ridiculous speed limits in some parts in the country.
Actually, judges are reluctant to touch this topic since speed limits are not well defined in India. It will backfire on government for not displaying proper warnings and speed limit poles.

Things that come into picture are intention, reckless driving, under influence or part failure. High people density area itself is enough for courts to rule in favor of reckless pedestrians.
Old 25th February 2016, 09:23   #776
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
Actually, judges are reluctant to touch this topic since speed limits are not well defined in India. It will backfire on government for not displaying proper warnings and speed limit poles.

Things that come into picture are intention, reckless driving, under influence or part failure. High people density area itself is enough for courts to rule in favor of reckless pedestrians.
SO what is the scenario under which a dashcam will actually help the driver?
I mean, unless you have seen the video yourself, analyzed it completely, there is no compunction to disclose that a camera even exists, much less a video.
Old 25th February 2016, 09:30   #777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I mean, unless you have seen the video yourself, analyzed it completely, there is no compunction to disclose that a camera even exists, much less a video.
All scenario where you are not at all at fault, outside defense or no camera zones will help you.

Depending on veracity of the case you can or not disclose it. In any case going to court with clean hands will help throughout. People seeking mercy or biased judgement have to work and spend hard.

Evidences play crucial role in Indian courts. Unrefuted evidences such as clear video of the event will actually lessen burden on you. Judge will be forced to rethink biased judgement against you multiple times for the fear of appeal to higher court's and tarnish of his reputation among his peers.
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 09:42   #778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
My guess is that it could be useful certain situations- like once, a biker with a lady on pillion, suddenly overtook me from the left, got in front of my car, and slowed down to take a right turn. I obviously couldn't break in time, and ended up touching his bike from the rear (fortunately no major damage done). He started arguing that it was my fault, as he was hit from behind, and he had also activated his indicators.

Thankfully for me, people nearby intervened, and told that guy off. Now, if I had a dashcam, I could have retrieved the footage and proved my case.

Anyways, I am driving in Bangalore for the last 10 years. Involved in a few scrapes. Have been lucky so far. But now, given the rise in traffic and also aggressiveness, feel like installing a dashcam, not only in my existing car, but also the new one that I will buy soon.

Cheers,
Ajay
Old 25th February 2016, 11:48   #779
BHPian

Couple of interesting dashcam videos:

On Hosur road heading towards Adugodi - a white Ecosport literally bounces off a cab.

On Outer Ring Road at Iblur heading towards Agara - check out the auto guy, he knocks the rear view mirror off a truck, earning an angry gesture from the truck driver, but he just drives off!

Last edited by ajitkommini : 25th February 2016 at 11:50.
Old 25th February 2016, 13:22   #780
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to use an action camera as dash cam in my car. One reason for not having full-time dash cam with all the bells and whistles like GPS and speed imprinted on the video is sometimes the speed imprinting will work against you. If you are slightly above the speed limit and got in to an accident, the speed imprinted on the video will work against you.
I will be able to use an action camera on my motor cycle and bicycle as well.
satish_appasani is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks