Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2016, 17:04   #811
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Would there be any firmware updates to G1WH to accept >32GB card?

Even with lower resolution, need to empty the card for every 8 hours or so. Hope, there will be a fix to accept a larger memory card.
The G1W series is rated to work with a max of 32GB card. Some people have reported occasional success with 64GB cards but it's not consistently reliable.

I am not aware of any firmware updates that's available to officially enable this.

However, in case you do find a reliable solution, please do post it here so that I too may use a 64 gig card

Cheers
Old 1st March 2016, 21:21   #812
BHPian

Got rear ended by a biker today, a bullet at that, a somewhat sudden brake from me, and our superman , could not stop his cast iron!

I think I was more noticing the car on the left which was trying to sneak in !

Old 1st March 2016, 23:22   #813
BHPian

Dashcam video from China. How careless can the parents be? Was the child sitting in the trunk?
Old 2nd March 2016, 01:57   #814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
Would recommend testing this out, taking off the SD card, it might affect saving of the clip, not a technical expert here, but logically speaking, I would give a small delay, before taking the card out.

Regards
Shailesh
Yes, most of the dashcams continue recording using its inbuilt battery once you switch off the car power. So if you remove the memory card while it is recording, it may corrupt the file itself. So better should not remove the memory card immediately, instead should not disclose about the cam during a heated argument. You can use the footage in the court/police station later.
Old 2nd March 2016, 14:17   #815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I want the following:
a. Stealthy looks
b. Ability to quickly upload the video - either directly or being able to pull it into the phone.
c. Ideally should have the ability to watermark date/time on the image.
d. Inner camera as well (Parag had one like that). for the odd day when someone tries to break into my car to pull me out. The ladakh taxi mafia video lacked that angle which would've made it totally clinching.

Which one would you recommend? I recall http://www.amazon.com/V1-Dashboard-R...FNE/ref=sr_1_4 Rexing V1 but it doesn't seem to be shipping to India at an affordable price.
Forget Rexing if you'd be using it in high temperatures, 40+. Its a risk as there have been concerns around the plastic melting so would suggest you to look at alternates like the iMax one with capacitor, I asked my sister to get that after researching enough where my concerns were for it to have stealth looks, ability to withstand high temperatures and also have a motion sensor for when I leave my car unattended.

There's no end to what all you would want to cover, there's the inside, then the rear, then something which takes excellent video in very low light conditions but all that means a setup costing upwards of $300 at minimum.

Last edited by fine69 : 2nd March 2016 at 14:18.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2016, 14:38   #816
BHPian

Quick Question :

Planning to install two Novatek GT300 in swift, One for Front and Another for Rear.

Will a 10000 MAH power bank sufficient enough to power it in parking mode.

Planning to power both the cams from Power bank, which will be powered by an additional 12V cigarette lighter in the glovebox.

btw, does the old gen have sufficient fuses to have an additional 12v socket ? Already used up one for powering the music system.

Appreciate your thoughts
Old 2nd March 2016, 16:31   #817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Quick Question :

Planning to install two Novatek GT300 in swift, One for Front and Another for Rear.

Will a 10000 MAH power bank sufficient enough to power it in parking mode.

Planning to power both the cams from Power bank, which will be powered by an additional 12V cigarette lighter in the glovebox.

btw, does the old gen have sufficient fuses to have an additional 12v socket ? Already used up one for powering the music system.

Appreciate your thoughts
Make sure the power bank you're using is able to charge and discharge at the same time (not all of them can do this).
Old 3rd March 2016, 08:33   #818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
Make sure the power bank you're using is able to charge and discharge at the same time (not all of them can do this).
Now, that's interesting. Never knew this concept.

Was always under the impression that the powerbank can charge and discharge at the same time.

Any recommendations on the models to look at.

Why parking mode ? Reason being, its parked on the street and have noticed lots of nuisance on the car.
Old 3rd March 2016, 08:36   #819
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Appreciate your thoughts
You can tap it from the current 12V accessory fuse. Add a fuse tap and add a second fuse as per the necessary current rating and you must be good to go.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 09:35   #820
BHPian

Quote:
Now, that's interesting. Never knew this concept.

Was always under the impression that the powerbank can charge and discharge at the same time.

Any recommendations on the models to look at.

Why parking mode ? Reason being, its parked on the street and have noticed lots of nuisance on the car.
There's some info here on the Raspberry Pi forum: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...p?f=45&t=13558
ajitkommini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 10:18   #821
BHPian

Hi Friends,

An absolute novice in terms of knowledge about dash cams hence need assistance in buying a dashcam. Requirements are

a) Good visibility Day and night both
b) Compact and easy to install
c) Shoud be robust and durable
d) Cost obviously is a factor
e) HD recording is a must.

Please help me shortlist a few and specific sites from where I can buy them.

Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 12:18   #822
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alive2Drive View Post
Hi Friends,

An absolute novice in terms of knowledge about dash cams hence need assistance in buying a dashcam. Requirements are

Thanks
Decide on a budget first. Dashcams can be had for as low as $20 and can go right upto $300 or more. Aliexpress, Gearbest, Banggood are all sites where you can find 'dashcams' aplenty. Most of the models these days will have HD recording.

For first hand user reviews, you can refer to this thread or even dashcamtalk forums.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 20:43   #823
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alive2Drive View Post
Hi Friends,

Thanks
+1 to Dry Ice. First you need to decide the budget and then choose the best one in the budget.

If you want very good image quality for both day time and night videos, then you will have to look at mid range dashcams costing around $200. If you can compromise with night time video quality, then you can get good ones for around $100. Recently, I had done lots of reading on dashcams. Here are some models that I came across that you could consider.

1. B40/A118 - This is a very discreet design and is not easily visible from outside. This also has excellent daytime video, but average night time video. Has optional GPS. Go for capacitor version for better reliablity. This model is available from many manufacturers. Here are a few links. Costs $60 to $75

VIOFO A118C
SpyTec A118C
IMAX A118C
Auto VOX B40C

2.G1W - This is another famous low cost model. This one has good day videos and average night videos. Go for capacitor model for better reliability. Costs $50

G1W-CB

3. Mini 0805 - Another best selling model which has good day and night video quality.

Mini 0805

4. Street Guardian SG9665 - This has excellent day time and night time video quality, is stealthy as A118, and has very good reviews on reliability. But this is a bit expensive at $200

Street Guardian SG9665

With so many options around, it is quite confusing to choose a camera that fits one's requirements. I would suggest you read lots of reviews, list the pros and cons, compare them with your requirements and then make the choice. Here are some aspects that I would suggest you consider while choosing the camera.
  1. Is the camera battery based or capacitor based? Capacitor based cameras are considered more reliable as they do not have Lithium Ion batteries which are considered unreliable at high temperatures.
  2. Operating temperature of the camera. Many of the cameras are rated only to operate till 40 degrees, and may fail during our hot summers. I have read reviews where people have reported the camera plastic having melted in high temperatures (I think it was 0805), the camera losing focus in high temperature (DOD LS460W) etc.
  3. Watch sample day and night videos of the cameras. There are lots of day and night videos in YouTube for all the cameras.
  4. Check out the maximum supported SD card size, and how many hours of video can be stored for a given SD card size. Generally, low cost cameras do not have good video compression algorithms resulting in huge video files and smaller recording time.
  5. GPS support
  6. Information embedded on the video. There are lots of information like date, time, GPS coordinates, speed etc that can be embedded in the video. Check out what the camera embeds in the video.

If you consider the above points carefully, you should be able to get the best dash cam that fits your budget and needs. Good luck!
graaja is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 10:42   #824
BHPian

Need help from all Novatek GT300 Users

I am planning a DIY for installing GT300 in the rear and the front.

Installing in the front, it is quite easy as the cable supplied is quite long.

Now to install GT300 in the rear, the cable is not long enough.

IIRC, GT300 uses a MINI B USB cable.

Is there any place where I can purchase 2 meter or more MINI B USB Cable, like the one shown in the link below and use the default supplied charger to power the same

http://www.miniinthebox.com/1m-mini-..._p2242500.html

Or is there any other mode of wiring the same unit from the rear to the front for charging.

Appreciate your kind DIY guidance.
Old 4th March 2016, 11:13   #825
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1;3925106[B
][/b]Now to install GT300 in the rear, the cable is not long enough.

IIRC, GT300 uses a MINI B USB cable.

Is there any place where I can purchase 2 meter or more MINI B USB Cable, like the one shown in the link below and use the default supplied charger to power the same.
Better idea would be to open up the power supply adapter, and get an extra length of wire soldered as per the requirement along with the existing length of wire. Using extension cord with connectors might create loose connections in the longrun.

Another thing to keep in mind is that I would suggest you to not add length to the output wire. Instead, get a 12V source at the rear of the car and use the supplied length of cable. A 12V power socket at the rear would be ideal. The reason is that the current output wire is already long from the adapter. And this wire is quite thin. If you make it more longer, it might not be able to meet the current requirements of the camera. Though this might not happen for sure, there is a fair chance of it since the power adapter uses elementary components and it might not be able to handle a really long output wire.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks