Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2016, 13:54   #781
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
My guess is that it could be useful certain situations- like once, a biker with a lady on pillion, suddenly overtook me from the left, got in front of my car, and slowed down to take a right turn. I obviously couldn't break in time, and ended up touching his bike from the rear (fortunately no major damage done). He started arguing that it was my fault, as he was hit from behind, and he had also activated his indicators.

Thankfully for me, people nearby intervened, and told that guy off. Now, if I had a dashcam, I could have retrieved the footage and proved my case.

Anyways, I am driving in Bangalore for the last 10 years. Involved in a few scrapes. Have been lucky so far. But now, given the rise in traffic and also aggressiveness, feel like installing a dashcam, not only in my existing car, but also the new one that I will buy soon.

Cheers,
Ajay
Hitting from behind is no reason for holding other person accountable, that shows the foolishness in our public.

Just one thought though, do not point or display the fact that you have a dash cam. The moment an issue such as this happens, immediately, get the storage card out of the cam and safe guard it. Mob will try to destroy the cam to avoid proof.

Just my thought and observation.
prithm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 14:14   #782
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
Hitting from behind is no reason for holding other person accountable, that shows the foolishness in our public.

Just one thought though, do not point or display the fact that you have a dash cam. The moment an issue such as this happens, immediately, get the storage card out of the cam and safe guard it. Mob will try to destroy the cam to avoid proof.

Just my thought and observation.
Would recommend testing this out, taking off the SD card, it might affect saving of the clip, not a technical expert here, but logically speaking, I would give a small delay, before taking the card out.

Regards
Shailesh
Old 25th February 2016, 14:23   #783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
Would recommend testing this out, taking off the SD card, it might affect saving of the clip, not a technical expert here, but logically speaking, I would give a small delay, before taking the card out.

Regards
Shailesh
Many come with G sensors & event/ collision detection. I agree there will be small lag, but that is like 2-3 seconds and there is always a panic button which will save the last footage.

Good option to look out for when buying new dash cam.
Old 25th February 2016, 17:43   #784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarPatel View Post
Two issues will crop up if you clip on an IRVM integrated dashcam on to your existing mirror, as I discovered in my case, when I clipped on an integrated IRVM/reversing cam mirror.
1. If your original mirror is stuck on the windscreen, the additional weight of the new mirror can cause the mirror to get detached from its mount. This happened with me when the adhesive pad holding my original mirror slowly gave way about 18 months after I clipped on the rev cam mirror. A replacement pad gave way in 2 months, so I fashioned a mount for my rev cam on my dashboard. Of course, if your original mirror is screwed onto your headliner then this issue does not arise.
With the original mirror holder screwed to the headliner I have faced a problem. My car is parked facing east and the sun directly hits the front windshield for the first half of the day. Prolonged exposure has resulted in the crack of the IRVM plastic casing especially at the ball shaped cavity which hinges with the steel bar under friction. Hence when I pass over any bad patches/speed breakers the mirror position gets disturbed. With this problem the additional weight of the IRVM intergrated dashcam would definitely cause problem. Thanks for your observation and looks like I have to settle for a standalone dashcam
bhandary is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2016, 22:31   #785
BANNED

Guys,

Have cancelled the order for the MINI 0806 dashcam from AliExpress. Order wasn't processed in time so it got self cancelled. Got a full refund though.

Decided to order the same cam from Gear Best. My first order. Hence the doubts.

I have selected the Standard Shipping ($19). Does it mean faster shipping?

Last edited by a4anurag : 26th February 2016 at 22:50.
Old 27th February 2016, 02:08   #786
Senior - BHPian

Guys

After a traffic fracas involving my 70 year old mother (and an ongoing bitter Police experience) I am now back and am contemplating a serious investment in DVRs. I don't want to just have a camera to prove my innocence. I want the following:
a. Stealthy looks
b. Ability to quickly upload the video - either directly or being able to pull it into the phone.
c. Ideally should have the ability to watermark date/time on the image.
d. Inner camera as well (Parag had one like that). for the odd day when someone tries to break into my car to pull me out. The ladakh taxi mafia video lacked that angle which would've made it totally clinching.

Which one would you recommend? I recall http://www.amazon.com/V1-Dashboard-R...FNE/ref=sr_1_4 Rexing V1 but it doesn't seem to be shipping to India at an affordable price.
Old 27th February 2016, 08:03   #787
BHPian

Hi All,
I am planning to invest on dashcamera after witnessing unwanted hassles people face in case something goes wrong. I have short-listed SJCAM 5000x (or 5000+, yet to identify the difference if any).
Wanted to know if there are any brick and mortar shop/outlet in Bangalore where I can buy.
Old 27th February 2016, 08:11   #788
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Guys

After a traffic fracas involving my 70 year old mother (and an ongoing bitter Police experience) I am now back and am contemplating a serious investment in DVRs. I don't want to just have a camera to prove my innocence. I want the following:
a. Stealthy looks
b. Ability to quickly upload the video - either directly or being able to pull it into the phone.
d. Inner camera as well (Parag had one like that). for the odd day when someone tries to break into my car to pull me out. The ladakh taxi mafia video lacked that angle which would've made it totally clinching.
Hi, I hope all is well with your mother. I have a Transcend DrivePro 220 since last 10 months. Its working fine. Will try to answer your points one by one.

a. Its not stealthy but if you mount it on the IRVM like I've done, it does make it little discreet. I'll try to upload the snap/link here.http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...ml#post3774585

b. It has WiFi connectivity so that you can download videos onto your phone. One great feature is snapshot function even while recording video.

c. Date and timestamp is on the videos and after latest firmware upgrade, speed also shows. You cannot remove the speed selectively.

d. Sadly it has only front recording camera. The dual camera one has been launched, DrivePro 520 which has all features of 220 but has a second camera to record inside of the car. But the issue is that the camera is oriented as per left hand drive so I'm not sure how it will handle in a right hand drive car.

Another thing is that the Transcend cameras are costly, 220 is around 10.5K and 520 for 15K.

You can also use a Chinese dual camera setup wherein you can use the second camera as per your convenience. I had used it earlier but it konked off soon.

Another option would be to buy 2 cameras and use one as front and other one for inside car recording.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 27th February 2016 at 08:28.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2016, 09:55   #789
BHPian

Quote:
Guys

a. Stealthy looks

Which one would you recommend? I recall http://www.amazon.com/V1-Dashboard-R...FNE/ref=sr_1_4 Rexing V1 but it doesn't seem to be shipping to India at an affordable price.
If you need serious stuff, I will suggest you to go for Garmin Dash 20 & HP F210. If any of your buddies are flying back from the US of A, better to pack it in their baggage.

Both are sturdy and robust piece of equipments.
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2016, 10:57   #790
BANNED

Please suggest a Dashcam/Reverse cam combo powered by 12v socket..

I want to install a reverse came on my ford Figo 1.5 base. But the dealer quotes 15k for a reverse cam which is prohibitive. Getting any work done from outside makes the process of claiming warranty a tedious process, so it is not an option. Can you folks suggest me a good piece with following features?

- should be powered by 12v socket
- should be having two camera lenses
- should be having a single display mounted on the windshield with a suction cup.
- should be able to function as reverse cam
- should be a dash cam

If something needs to be sacrificed while on a austere budget then I will settle for a good reverse cam powered by 12v socket

Last edited by COMMUTER : 27th February 2016 at 10:58.
Old 27th February 2016, 11:23   #791
BHPian

Reverse cam without the standard installation ?
Wireless cam is the best option.
Old 27th February 2016, 11:38   #792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post
I want to install a reverse came on my ford Figo 1.5 base. But the dealer quotes 15k for a reverse cam which is prohibitive. Getting any work done from outside makes the process of claiming warranty a tedious process, so it is not an option. Can you folks suggest me a good piece with following features?

- should be powered by 12v socket
- should be having two camera lenses
- should be having a single display mounted on the windshield with a suction cup.
- should be able to function as reverse cam
- should be a dash cam

If something needs to be sacrificed while on a austere budget then I will settle for a good reverse cam powered by 12v socket
If you have a look at my earlier post, no. 746, you'll find something that may serve your purpose, somewhat. The second cam could be fitted in the centre of your rear windscreen to look down, but there would definitely be an area just off your bumper that is obscured by your boot, so you wouldn't see an obstacle a few feet away.
So, to sum up, I have both, a reverse cam, as well as a forward and rear facing dashcam and I really don't think it would be very safe to use what I just described above to take the place of a reversing cam.

I too was in the same predicament when I bought my Ford Classic two years ago and decided to fork out the extra bucks, just for my peace of mind. It was 12K then, for the reversing cam with 4 sensors. Maybe you can beat him down on the price?

And coming back to my dashcam, I found that the rear cam, at 720p, records similar file sizes as the forward cam at 1080p. So my 32GB stick fills up in 10 hours, after which it overwrites the oldest files. That's fine, except for the fact that once the stick is full I can't record any still pics, as a message pops up saying I don't have enough space.
So I have to keep freeing up space every couple of days, just in case I need to take pics for any reason. That's a bit annoying. I would think the software ought to make space for stills just as it does for video.
Anyway, my second parcel from AliExpress just came in yesterday and I'm happy with the quality of the socket splitter. It comes with 3 sockets, each with individual on-off switches, two USB ports, a voltage display, a 3M double-sided tape and a spare fuse.
Attached Thumbnails
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-car-socket-splitter.jpg  

Last edited by Eddy : 28th February 2016 at 02:02. Reason: Merged
FarPatel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2016, 01:23   #793
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys

a. Stealthy looks

Check out something like this http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-D...398177577.html

This in black, would be stealthy enough if mounted just below the IRVM. Not using it personally, had checked it out when I was shortlisting one.

- No Wifi, swap card to check files.
+ Records outside, inside and GPS data
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2016, 08:05   #794
BHPian

Dry Ice, it looks to me that the unit you referred to above would only show up the driver's and front passenger's faces and the space between them, which probably won't help phamilyman's case much.
Phamilyman, if I read you correctly, you are looking for an internal view from the LHS B or C pillar, towards the driver's door, so for that you would need a separate second cam connected to the main dashcam. The one I'm using can do that perfectly. Here's the link. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/HD-72...451318411_6451
FarPatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2016, 21:33   #795
BHPian

Quote:
This one might help. No personal experience with this unit though:
http://www.amazon.in/Dual-Camera-Bla...ZC5WECPGM72BB8
ajayclicks is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks