Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2018, 13:01   #2281
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
@HalfOctave, Congratulations on purchase of A119S.

After going through the forum threads, it appears VIOFO A119 is very popular. I am planning to go with VIOFO A119 V2 after reading few online comparison reviews between A119 vs A119S.

Most of the URLs given in our forum point to seller 'Shenzhen Smartway Technology Co., Ltd'. Though I also see seller 'VIOFO Official Store' (costly by around $20)
Which seller did you buy from? Did you select any particular shipping option as you got the package delivered faster.

Also, this is going to be my first purchase from Aliexpress. So, any tips? I will be using Net Safe card for the transaction. Is there any sale coming in next few months? I am ready to wait for the same if there will be discount on A119 V2.
Hi there!

I had the exact same doubts before buying A119S v2. With so many of sellers selling it on aliexpress, I too got confused.

I purchased it from the official Viofo store and it costed me 109USD for the complete kit. Though there are many sellers for the same item, but I found that they all cost same when I go for the complete kit (Dashcam, hardwire kit, gps mount and CPL filter). Like you, I also waited for around 1-2 months for some sale to come up and eventually purchased it during Midyear sale. But let me tell you, the price difference was not that big even during the sale. I used seller discount of 2USD and aliexpress coupen of 4USD, making a total discount of 6USD.

I chose the normal shipping option, the store shipped the item very next day. The transit of item till India was very fast, and slowed down when it reached India. Probably due to the efficiency of our Indian Post.

The seller marked the item as Gift and showed the item cost as 12USD, and perhaps this is the reason, no custom duty was charged from me.

I am not sure of dates for next Aliexpress sale, since even for me, this was my first purchase.

P.S.- One thing I would like to recommend to everyone here buying a dashcam and planning to hardwire their cam is to check what kind fuse is being used in your car. The reason being that, the seller sends a particular type of fuse TAP which might not be compatible to your car. I also did not pay attention to it and am still waiting for my new fuse TAP to be delivered from amazon.
HalfOctave is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 19:20   #2282
Senior - BHPian

I've been using a Transcend DP220 since 2016, the Transcend proved to be ultra reliable and have never missed a beat even in extreme heat and was always left in the vehicle. Since I've bee thinking about upgrading to a dual channel dashcam I finally decided to get one and bought a Korean cam.

This is one the leading brands out of Korea and comes with a hardwire harness by default (cig lighter is optional) just how i wanted and the camera takes direct 12volt power without the need of stepping down to 5 volts. It also has a filter thread suitable for 37mm filters. I am wondering whether to go for CPL, but it might make night time recordings darker. It has parking mode and can record on shock sensing, motion detect, always or in time lapse. Finished the install today and will share videos later. The sensor is Sony Starvis.
Old 26th July 2018, 21:49   #2283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I've been using a Transcend DP220 since 2016, the Transcend proved to be ultra reliable and have never missed a beat even in extreme heat and was always left in the vehicle. Since I've bee thinking about upgrading to a dual channel dashcam I finally decided to get one and bought a Korean cam.

This is one the leading brands out of Korea and comes with a hardwire harness by default (cig lighter is optional) just how i wanted and the camera takes direct 12volt power without the need of stepping down to 5 volts. It also has a filter thread suitable for 37mm filters. I am wondering whether to go for CPL, but it might make night time recordings darker. It has parking mode and can record on shock sensing, motion detect, always or in time lapse. Finished the install today and will share videos later. The sensor is Sony Starvis.
You have described well about the product save for the brand name and the website where it will be available. Without these details how will post be beneficial to other members. Kindly post the important details here. Thank you.
rajivr1612 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 02:38   #2284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujithsidhardha View Post
Anyday, avoid dashcam's with battery, especially the ones with higher capacity batteries like SJ4000. Within 6 months of use, my SJ4000 battery bulged making a permanent dent on camera's body. Glad, i identified it or else, it could have caused an explosion sooner.

I am replacing it with a VIOFO capacitor model.
I am using SJCam 4000 for almost an year now and did not see any issues with battery. May be the reason how I use has created no issues yet.

First when I turn on the cam as dash cam I run it with the battery and no power supply is given to it. After about half an hour of drive I connect the power supply. Yes I do agree that it will be a challenging job while driving. But while driving in traffic condition of Bangalore I will have a nice time pass sitting idle during big jams or signals
Old 27th July 2018, 03:25   #2285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
@HalfOctave, Congratulations on purchase of A119S.

After going through the forum threads, it appears VIOFO A119 is very popular. I am planning to go with VIOFO A119 V2 after reading few online comparison reviews between A119 vs A119S.

Most of the URLs given in our forum point to seller 'Shenzhen Smartway Technology Co., Ltd'. Though I also see seller 'VIOFO Official Store' (costly by around $20)
Which seller did you buy from? Did you select any particular shipping option as you got the package delivered faster.

Also, this is going to be my first purchase from Aliexpress. So, any tips? I will be using Net Safe card for the transaction. Is there any sale coming in next few months? I am ready to wait for the same if there will be discount on A119 V2.
I have bought two of these from the 'Shenzhen Smartway Technology Co., Ltd' and both have reached well in time and in good condition. They have been in my cars for more than an year now.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 07:34   #2286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
I have bought two of these from the 'Shenzhen Smartway Technology Co., Ltd' and both have reached well in time and in good condition. They have been in my cars for more than an year now.
@Traveler, thanks for the info. I tried placing order from VIOFO official store using NetSafe card but then during payment step, it went into Appeal and they asked for identity proof and card picture/bank statement. I was hesitant to proceed further with order processing. Looking for alternatives.
Old 27th July 2018, 09:23   #2287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
I purchased from "VIOFO Official Store" that reached me without any issues. I verified the seller with VIOFO before purchase. VIOFO confirmed that the store deal with genuine VIOFO products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetbadri View Post
I am using SJCam 4000 for almost an year now and did not see any issues with battery. May be the reason how I use has created no issues yet.

First when I turn on the cam as dash cam I run it with the battery and no power supply is given to it. After about half an hour of drive I connect the power supply. Yes I do agree that it will be a challenging job while driving. But while driving in traffic condition of Bangalore I will have a nice time pass sitting idle during big jams or signals
Mine is also around 10 months old. Seems its because of your usage pattern, its not creating any problems. You are not providing time for an over charge.

In my case, it was always connected and disconnect only to copy the footage. Seems high cabin temperature during summer added to the situation. When the cam started restarting during long drives above 5 hours , i suspected issue. From the outside, there is no issue. But, when i opened it up, found the bulged battery and the deformed cabin.

Anyway, beware the ones with battery, especially higher capacity batteries.

Last edited by sujithsidhardha : 27th July 2018 at 09:31. Reason: multi quote.
Old 29th July 2018, 13:15   #2288
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys, after doing some research I've narrowed down to the Xiaomi 70 Mai camera because its cheap simple and small. The only problem I see is that it doesn't have a capacitor battery, has anyone here used it? I can't find many reviews or issues that talk about overheating which might be the only issue. I'm tempted to give it a shot since its just $30

Here are the dashcams I've finalized, if anyone has experience with them please advice.

Xiaomi 70min - $30 no brainer?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Glob...878227992.html

Blueskysea - Recommended in many reviews.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32836034734.html

Goluk T3 - A bit expensive but I love that stick on button.
https://shopgoluk.com/collections/da...ion-stone-grey

This is for my Mini Cooper S so aesthetics are important to me, picture quality and features are secondary, just want it to be compact, out of the way and functional.

Also, I'd like to hardwire the camera and see that many just come with lighter socket charger, I wanted to know if there is a recommended hardwire kit of high quality which I should look at?

Last edited by quickdraw : 29th July 2018 at 13:27.
Old 29th July 2018, 13:23   #2289
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post

This is for my Mini Cooper S so aesthetics are important to me, picture quality and features are secondary, just want it to be compact, out of the way and functional.
A lot of us use the ddpai mini 2 from Ali Express. Has been working fine for me and other mods for more than a year. It's similar to the ones you posted, has Wi-Fi, and uses a capacitor vs battery. Also much more well known.

Around 65-70 USD.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2018, 16:41   #2290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
A lot of us use the ddpai mini 2 from Ali Express. Has been working fine for me and other mods for more than a year. It's similar to the ones you posted, has Wi-Fi, and uses a capacitor vs battery. Also much more well known.

Around 65-70 USD.
Thank you! For some reason, I didn't find this one mentioned in any of the Youtube reviews. It seems to be perfect, do you recommend to purchase this cable for a hardwired install?

Where do you think I should purchase this from? Is there any local Indian retailer I can buy it from?
Old 29th July 2018, 16:50   #2291
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thank you! For some reason, I didn't find this one mentioned in any of the Youtube reviews. It seems to be perfect, do you recommend to purchase this cable for a hardwired install?

Where do you think I should purchase this from? Is there any local Indian retailer I can buy it from?
This is where all of us got it from : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ddpa...ceBeautifyAB=0

I got the hardwire kit as well but it depends on whether in a mini cooper you want to play with the fuses. Would just get a USB charger with 2 or 3 ports and use that. The cable it comes with is a USB one and not a charger port.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th July 2018, 17:18   #2292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
This is where all of us got it from : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ddpa...ceBeautifyAB=0

I got the hardware kit as well but it depends on whether in a mini cooper you want to play with the fuses. Would just get a USB charger with 2 or 3 ports and use that. The cable it comes with is a USB one and not a charger port.
Fantastic! Thanks a bunch. I'm trying to get this sourced from China as I have colleagues traveling there every two weeks. I'm there must be empty fuse slots in the F56, need to do some digging. Will use the regular cable initially but I really would prefer not having the wire hanging. The Mini windshield is actually really upright which makes even reaching for the rearview mirror a task.

Now I'm wondering if I should invest in one for the rear as well? I think the boot has a lighter socket and wire can be easily routed and camera stuck on rear windshield. Maybe will get the Xiaomi one for the rear as its really so cheap no-brainer choice.
Old 29th July 2018, 18:39   #2293
BANNED

https://www.blackvue.com/ one of the finest dash cam guys, for car like Mini Cooper install this, they retail hardwire kit as well.
Ajaybiz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 09:37   #2294
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Fantastic! Thanks a bunch. I'm trying to get this sourced from China as I have colleagues traveling there every two weeks. I'm there must be empty fuse slots in the F56, need to do some digging. Will use the regular cable initially but I really would prefer not having the wire hanging. The Mini windshield is actually really upright which makes even reaching for the rearview mirror a task.
If you route the wire properly through the A pillar and then below the dash to centre console it won't be hanging. That's how it is my Ford Ecosport without teh hardwire.

Quote:
Now I'm wondering if I should invest in one for the rear as well? I think the boot has a lighter socket and wire can be easily routed and camera stuck on rear windshield. Maybe will get the Xiaomi one for the rear as its really so cheap no-brainer choice.
Don't get 2 of them if you need a rear one. Ajaybiz has put up a link of Blackvue. They are the best. Get a proper 2 channel dashcam if you want front and rear.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 09:43   #2295
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I had bought this based on Viddy's recommendation, and also posted a review on this thread. Here is a sample video from my cam, for your reference.

benbsb29 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks