Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2018, 16:22   #2146
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
The current tracking status of my Aliexpress ordered Yi Smart Dashcam, shows as "Record item customs information (lnb), Air, CHENNAI CUSTOMS (FGN AIR COMPLEX), Retention Reason: Retained by customs for unspecified reason."
I received my Dashcam today and paid INR 1292 (Duty - 1262 + Postal charges - 30) to the postman. So, the final amount paid for the Dashcam is 2578 ($38) + 1292 = 3870. Not bad I think, considering now the same camera is selling at approx. INR 3,800.

P.S.: The seller is marked this as "Gift" and declared the amount as $18 and mentioned this as a "Web Video Camera" in the parcel. So, the customs duty levy seems to be random based on your luck I guess.
Old 20th April 2018, 17:56   #2147
Senior - BHPian

I too got the delivery of Yi cam on 16th - was delivered by India post and no duty was charged.

The package reached Bommanahalli PO on 12th and it took 4 days for delivery, but otherwise, everything was fine.

It was mentioned as photography equipment and was valued at 22$

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_20180420_101837.jpg

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_20180420_101925.jpg

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_20180420_102052.jpg

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 20th April 2018 at 17:57.
theexperthand is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th April 2018, 18:24   #2148
BHPian

Finally received the dashboard DVR from AliExpress. Paid about 108USD. Yet to mount this thing permanently but initial impressions are good. Camera quality is decent and display sharp and crisp. Max memory is 32GB.

Name:  IMG_20180420_181630.png
Views: 3425
Size:  526.5 KB

Name:  IMG_20180420_181703.png
Views: 3383
Size:  315.0 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyadh View Post
Do share your experience with this. This gets a 8" screen on your dash and also provides the DVR functionality. Still few doubts about the same:

Last edited by SDP : 5th May 2018 at 19:12. Reason: fixing broken quote tag
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2018, 16:47   #2149
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I bought 2 REXING V1, dash cams from US and fitted to my Cars. 2.4"LCD,FHD,170 wide angle with G sensor WDR loop recording. Excellent performance and the clarity of the video is very superior. Costed me around 105 USD each. with memory cards and Wind screen holder. Very happy with it. Surprised to see the cost in Amazon as INR 13999 each.
Old 23rd April 2018, 16:47   #2150
Distinguished - BHPian

Is dashcam footage legally tenable in Indian courts or not?

Here's what I could find -

1) Inform the Investigating Police officer ("IO") that you have the said footage.
2) IO impounds the dashcam + memory card.
3) Forensics experts certify the footage and the device as being untampered.
4) Attend court sessions and remain answerable for any further summons.

All the above is made possible due to the Information Technology Act of 2000. The Supreme Court of India has stated (in cases such as Anvar P.V. Vs P.K. Basheer & Ors) that electronic evidence is good to have but the video has to be proved to be unedited and unaltered and has to be proven as admissible as evidence in accordance with section 65B of the Indian Evidence Act.

This is what I could meaningfully piece together from advice meted out by various legal advisors on the internet.

Is there any other angle to it?
locusjag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 19:25   #2151
Senior - BHPian

Which model is this? Review please. I've been thinking of getting something similar for my Mobilio RS. Does it have a provision for rear view camera?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Finally received the dashboard DVR from AliExpress. Paid about 108USD. Yet to mount this thing permanently but initial impressions are good. Camera quality is decent and display sharp and crisp. Max memory is 32GB.
Old 24th April 2018, 08:03   #2152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Which model is this? Review please. I've been thinking of getting something similar for my Mobilio RS. Does it have a provision for rear view camera?
Hi this is Phisung E02 from AliExpress. It does have rear view camera but I'm yet to install either DVR.
Old 24th April 2018, 13:59   #2153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Is dashcam footage legally tenable in Indian courts or not?

Here's what I could find -

1) Inform the Investigating Police officer ("IO") that you have the said footage.
2) IO impounds the dashcam + memory card.
3) Forensics experts certify the footage and the device as being untampered.
4) Attend court sessions and remain answerable for any further summons.

All the above is made possible due to the Information Technology Act of 2000. The Supreme Court of India has stated (in cases such as Anvar P.V. Vs P.K. Basheer & Ors) that electronic evidence is good to have but the video has to be proved to be unedited and unaltered and has to be proven as admissible as evidence in accordance with section 65B of the Indian Evidence Act.

This is what I could meaningfully piece together from advice meted out by various legal advisors on the internet.

Is there any other angle to it?
This is right. You need to save footage and device in accordance with IT Act.

BUT,

Recently there was a judgement passed by SC that there is no need for the recording device to be presented under 65B.

Additional BUT,

Do NOT handover the device and footage to any investigation agency without first taking a copy of the footage for your records. Mishandling, tampering, damaging of evidence is rife in judiciary and is usually overlooked in petty cases unless its clinching or if any bigwig agency (E.g. CBI, NIA and likes) is conducting this investigation.

For vehicular issues, footages is more than enough.

Additionally, using Dashcam as evidence is a double edge sword. If the footage is captured in restricted areas (e.g. Defense locations, Airports, Bases etc.) then all applicable laws will be filed against the person.

So, location and clarity of footage must be of utmost importance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Thank you for reminding and updating.

It serves as an amazing on Dash device and looks really cool. How did you manage to fix it on the dash ? Double side tape ?

Wondering what Mr.Thad is doing with his new device ?

Last edited by prithm : 24th April 2018 at 14:03.
prithm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2018, 00:02   #2154
BANNED

Got a second dashcam for my Creta and installed it in the rear. This is the DDPai Mini Wifi 1080p FHD purchased from AliExpress.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-3.-package-hw-kit.jpg

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-4.-ddpai-mini-package-contents.jpg

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-5.-hardwiring-kit-contents.jpg

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-7.-camera.jpg

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-10.-close-up-view-outside.jpg

All details in my ownership thread: Link Here

Last edited by a4anurag : 26th April 2018 at 00:10.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2018, 01:08   #2155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
Wondering what Mr.Thad is doing with his new device ?

Update!

Erm.... nothing as yet. <Blush>, In fact I have not even taken it out to the car. Sorry for the very dull update!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2018, 16:20   #2156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Got a second dashcam for my Creta and installed it in the rear. This is the DDPai Mini Wifi 1080p FHD purchased from AliExpress.

All details in my ownership thread: Link Here
Thanks for posting this. I was in the lookout for a very minimalist rear dash cam myself..

It is really small and doesn't hinder rear visibility at all.
suku_patel_22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2018, 15:04   #2157
Distinguished - BHPian

How are the others who recently bought the Viofo A119s V2 faring?

I noticed that the time-stamp and all the settings in my dashcam keeps getting reset every time I power it off. With my vehicle being under warranty, I haven't hardwired the dashcam, so it's just plugged into the cigarette lighter.

Turns out that many Viofo A119 users have been experiencing loss of settings. Here are some tips that I could find-

When does it (i.e., loss of settings) happen?

- After every firmware upgrade
- Due to certain micro SD cards
- After powering off everytime, if in case the internal rechargeable RTC battery meant to power the internal clock within your dashcam is fully discharged

How to fix it?

http://support.viofo.com/support/dis...cs/19000020623

Quote:
1) remove micro SD card
2) connect Dashcam to indoor 1.5 - 3Amp 5volt power adapter (tablet/iPhone)
3) leave it connected to charge the RTC internal clock battery for 5 hours (trickle charge).
4) copy the matching LOADER file for your model to a previously used micro SD card and insert with power off then power on and wait 30 secs.
5) disconnect power and copy normal Firmware file FWA119S or FWA119.bin to same SD card and insert then power on Dashcam
6) wait 2 mins for REC button to blink, then restart
I'm yet to try any of these remedies. Please let me know if any of you have experienced similar issues.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2018, 16:09   #2158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How to fix it?
Thanks in anticipation

I am yet to commission mine. I will get it hard wired after the car is serviced next month, as that will mark the end of the extended warranty.
Old 4th May 2018, 16:24   #2159
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Thanks in anticipation

I am yet to commission mine. I will get it hard wired after the car is serviced next month, as that will mark the end of the extended warranty.
Yes sir, I know that you've postponed the installation of your dashcam. I've been following your dashcam journey on this thread (although you seem to be even more active on certain humorous threads here!)

Hardwiring the cam would prevent the clock's rechargeable battery from every draining out completely, if that's what causes the problem I face.

However, I did not install a certain 'Loader' software file that's provided by Viofo here - http://support.viofo.com/support/sol...amera-firmware

I only installed the latest Firmware and I neglected the loader, so that could also be why I have a problem.

All the best and keep us updated.
Old 4th May 2018, 16:29   #2160
BHPian

Quote:
How are the others who recently bought the Viofo A119s V2 faring?
My A119S is working flawlessly for the last 2 weeks, connected through the cigarette lighter port. First thing I did after getting the dashcam was upgrade the firmware to the latest version.
I had encountered similar problem with my older A119 and upgrading the firmware had solved it. Please upgrade the firmware, if you have not done it yet and it should solve your problem. If not, it could be some SD card or hardware issue as you listed.

Quote:
However, I did not install a certain 'Loader' software file that's provided by Viofo here
Edit: You seem to have already upgraded, so ignore the above comments.
Loader is required only if the current firmware is below V1.1, which is not the case with latest lot of A119S. Also, please refer the correct link for upgrade, the link you have shared is for A119 not A119S. Latest version for A119S is V2.4

Last edited by Makin Rulesz : 4th May 2018 at 16:36.
Makin Rulesz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks