Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2018, 16:41   #2161
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
There's no loader file for the A119S, unless VIOFO is providing it on a case to case basis. Even though the chipset is the same, I'd still check their support before following user comments and possibly bricking it with the loader for the A119.

The RTC battery is faulty, get it replaced.
harsh79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2018, 16:52   #2162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I noticed that the time-stamp and all the settings in my dashcam keeps getting reset every time I power it off. With my vehicle being under warranty, I haven't hardwired the dashcam, so it's just plugged into the cigarette lighter.
Most probably your internal battery has gone kaput. And good decision with not hardwiring it.

My Garmin Dashcam 20 and HP F210 support GPS, hence they synchronize with birds within few moments of coming out of my cellar parking.
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2018, 18:53   #2163
BHPian

So I finally got this thing setup. The device is Phisung E02 running Android 5.1 on MTK chipset with 1GB RAM. The package consists of the DVR, rear view camera, GPS antenna and necessary wiring along with detailed documentation.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_20180504_172625.jpg

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_20180504_172741.jpg

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_20180504_173329.jpg

Front cam records at 720/1080. Rear is 480. Max supported memory card is 32GB. It has sim slot and supports our 4G networks though I'm yet to test.

Installation
The DVR is hardwired though it comes with a cigarette lighter adapter. The rear camera is mounted on number plate(or tailgate glass). The same is connected to DVR while a wire connects to +ve pole of reversing light. My Fiesta didn't have a flat surface to mount the DVR so I have made a temporary jugaad from a wood plank.

Operation
The DVR does have a small battery sufficient for few hours of standby or ~10 mins of actual usage. The unit wakes up on receiving power and starts to record front as well as rear camera. The video is quite decent though at low light the rear camera drops frames. The rear camera with guidance lines gets activated after slotting in reverse gear. The GPS is quite fast and locks in 5-6 seconds. The DVR has FM transmitter and tuning it to cars FM frequency let's me play music directly to cars sound system. Though sound quality is quite decent, I'm not happy with the slight delay when taking calls. The phone connects to DVR via Bluetooth. For me the most important factor in getting this was getting maximum info without moving eyes too far away from road(like in android HU). I use Torque Pro very regularly and it works flawlessly. Right now it looks slightly shabby with wires and wooden plank but I plan to conceal it off soon.
akshay380 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th May 2018, 20:56   #2164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
The DVR does have a small battery sufficient for few hours of standby or ~10 mins of actual usage. The unit wakes up on receiving power and starts to record front as well as rear camera. The video is quite decent though at low light the rear camera drops frames. The rear camera with guidance lines gets activated after slotting in reverse gear. The GPS is quite fast and locks in 5-6 seconds. The DVR has FM transmitter and tuning it to cars FM frequency let's me play music directly to cars sound system. Though sound quality is quite decent, I'm not happy with the slight delay when taking calls. The phone connects to DVR via Bluetooth. For me the most important factor in getting this was getting maximum info without moving eyes too far away from road(like in android HU). I use Torque Pro very regularly and it works flawlessly. Right now it looks slightly shabby with wires and wooden plank but I plan to conceal it off soon.
Looks good on the dash as a HUD. The plank when painted matte black will look as a part of dash or if you varnish it with wood finish color, it will add a panache touch.

How did u connect it to your audio ?
Did you have to drill holes at the rear plate to afix the rear cam ?
How does it know when you slot to reverse ? Using reverse light relay ?
32 GB card for both front & rear or each ?
Night time recording, does it reduce exposure value ?
Does it support sound recording ?
The map, is it Google Maps ?
Old 4th May 2018, 23:46   #2165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So I finally got this thing setup. The device is Phisung E02 running Android 5.1 on MTK chipset with 1GB RAM. The package consists of the DVR, rear view camera, GPS antenna and necessary wiring along with detailed documentation.
Cool device, but looks like an attention magnet. Do throw on a towel or something when parked in a public place to keep the evil eyes and hands away.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2018, 00:03   #2166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
Looks good on the dash as a HUD. The plank when painted matte black will look as a part of dash or if you varnish it with wood finish color, it will add a panache touch.

How did u connect it to your audio ?
Did you have to drill holes at the rear plate to afix the rear cam ?
How does it know when you slot to reverse ? Using reverse light relay ?
32 GB card for both front & rear or each ?
Night time recording, does it reduce exposure value ?
Does it support sound recording ?
The map, is it Google Maps ?
Hi the plank is getting matte finish in 5 days.

1. Set one frequency on headunit. Open the FM transmitter from DVR and match the frequency. It starts the connection.
2. Yes but for namesake. It has got 3M tape too.
3. Yes
4. For both. It's image in image. I'll post a snapshot later. Still figuring it out.
5. Night record. I'll get back after checking.
6. Yes
7. Yup gmaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Cool device, but looks like an attention magnet. Do throw on a towel or something when parked in a public place to keep the evil eyes and hands away.
Hehe absolutely agree. The blue towel you see in one of the pics is for that reason. I'm getting those orange colored ones(saibaba) to disguise further
akshay380 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2018, 05:53   #2167
Senior - BHPian

Folks

A very basic question (may be slightly off topic too):

What software do you use (on windows) to edit your dashcam footage before uploading for public consumption? I am looking for something basic , and FREE, to snip out unwanted footage and overlay / remove audio where not appropriate. It would be great if I can also mask car #but that I can live with.

I used filmora which puts a huge banner on the video (see: )

Thanks a ton.
Old 5th May 2018, 09:07   #2168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Folks

What software do you use (on windows) to edit your dashcam footage before uploading for public consumption? I am looking for something basic , and FREE, to snip out unwanted footage and overlay / remove audio where not appropriate. It would be great if I can also mask car #but that I can live with.

I used filmora which puts a huge banner on the video (see: )

Thanks a ton.
For basic stuff you are talking about, Youtube online editor serves the purpose although its terribly slow. I use this when i upload videos from my laptop.
Otherwise on android phone i use an app called Videoshow. Even that puts a watermark, but it doesn't block the view in any way(if i pay for the pro version i can even remove that). This filmora banner what you've shared is Huge
Also to make a collage of 2 videos (front dashcam and rear dashcam), i use an app called inshot

But if you really like Filmora, pay for the full version where you can choose to remove all watermarks/banners. I'm sure this big banner is designed to push people to go for the full version.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 5th May 2018 at 09:10. Reason: Removed video link in quoted part
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2018, 16:11   #2169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Folks

I used filmora which puts a huge banner on the video

Thanks a ton.
Try installing Shotcut software. It's free and good enough for professional YouTubers to earn money off of it.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2018, 16:41   #2170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I bought and installed the Phisung E06
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Phis...460.0.0.8yYnqd

It is has exactly the same features as the Phisung E02 in a Rear View Mirror Mounted unit.
I have hardwired it with a switch installed for power.
It is totally discrete. Nobody notices it if the display is turned off.
When display is turned off it acts exactly as a normal rear view mirror with no loss of quality of the mirror.

What I like about this :
1. 4G Works with an Airtel and it acts as a Wifi Hotspot
2. It has an app for Android and IOS which sends you a notification everytime the car is started, and you can track the car and even capture 10 sec videos from the dashcam even when you are away from the car.
3. It has a regular google play store. I could install Youtube and upgrade to latest google maps.
4. The rear camera is decent and is connected to reverse light lamp. Everytime you put in reverse gear, the reverse cam display starts automatically.
5. Totally discrete. Nobody even notices that the car has 2 dashcams.
6. Default Navigation app is Sygic and I could install India maps easily.
7. The Front Dashcam is really wide angle and although I could not get it exactly at the right angle pointing straight ahead, still it captures the complete view of the road ahead, even cars on the sides of the bonnet.

What I do not like
1. Supports only a single 32 GB for both Cams recording
2. Front Dashcam captures the bonnet and my fastag sticker near the top edge of the Windscreen.
3. There is no Aux Audio out, so not really suited to play music through FM Transmission. Bluetooth is kind of waste as it can be used only for calls and not for streaming music from the phone. I already had a Tantra Bluetooth connected through Aux. So I continue to use that to play music and take calls through bluetooth.

Styler

Last edited by Styler : 5th May 2018 at 16:45.
Styler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2018, 19:48   #2171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
I bought and installed the Phisung E06
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Phis...460.0.0.8yYnqd
Hey, I bought this device only after seeing your post. Pretty sure that hardware is exactly same for mine and your DVR. I actually ordered E06 seeing your post but looking at rear view for getting some info realtime didn't work with me :( . Fully agree with your observations. I plan to do some jugaad and get audio out from the inbuilt speaker of DVR. Even I use TATRA so use that for calls. What problem you faced for playing music over FM? Just quality issues expected with FM or something else?
Old 6th May 2018, 04:34   #2172
BHPian

Quote:

For basic editing try Movie Maker. If you ever want to go all out, try DaVinci Resolve.
harsh79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2018, 09:39   #2173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The GPS is quite fast and locks in 5-6 seconds.
How does the ADAS work?
You mentioned problem with receiving calls - Android/ iPhone??
Does GPS work without 4G sim?
can it use a connected phone's internet?
When audio is routed to the car's audio, do the internal speakers stop working?
Old 6th May 2018, 09:52   #2174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
How does the ADAS work?
You mentioned problem with receiving calls - Android/ iPhone??
Does GPS work without 4G sim?
can it use a connected phone's internet?
When audio is routed to the car's audio, do the internal speakers stop working?
1. Yet to test ADAS. It needs some calibration, though I got forward collision warning twice when getting too close to car in front.
2. Android. Problem is about slight delay in hearing voice like over IP long distance calls.
3. Yes. Has dedicated antenna.
4. Over mobile hotspot.
5. Yes
Old 6th May 2018, 10:24   #2175
BHPian

Quote:
Hey, I bought this device only after seeing your post. Pretty sure that hardware is exactly same for mine and your DVR. I actually ordered E06 seeing your post but looking at rear view for getting some info realtime didn't work with me :( . Fully agree with your observations. I plan to do some jugaad and get audio out from the inbuilt speaker of DVR. Even I use TATRA so use that for calls. What problem you faced for playing music over FM? Just quality issues expected with FM or something else?
Hi Akshay

Good to know that we are two people using this device now.

There are 2 reasons why playing music is not a good option through these devices.
1. I normally have all my music in my playlists in my Iphone 6S . It is not possible to play music on phone through bluetooth. Bluetooth in these devices is only for phone and cannot stream music. Where do you keep your music to play through the E02 ? On memory card / Online Streaming app ? Memory card is already too small at 32 GB for both camera recording if I put my 20GB Music on it there will be no space left.
2. Music will go to Car Stereo from device through FM and that will not be good enough for me.

I continue to use the Tantra Bluetooth connected to Car Stereo through Aux for Music and Phone.

I just want to find a way that the Screen does not fire up everytime the E06 is switched on. I have to press the power button twice to just have the Screen Blank and the recording happening in the background.

If the car is away from me I want the device to be discreet but on so that I can track it and take video clips from the cameras.

Styler

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks