Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2018, 08:43   #2116
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
What's the best place to fix a dash camera?
To be honest, there is no straight answer to this I am afraid. Ideal place is on the windshield below the IRVM, that would be the center location. However these days, there will be fastag, sensors, phone holders etc being placed there already so the clear field vision in front need to be checked by marking the 'potential' placement location and the camera footage. Best to identify the ideal placement location first and then do the permanent fixing.
Old 6th April 2018, 19:23   #2117
BHPian

Has anyone used a portable friction mount (Something like https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-B000LR...dp/B000LRMS66/) to hold a dashcam in place? I am a little concerned that a windshield mounted dashcam might invite petty thieves while the car is parked, so a portable mount will make it easy to tuck the dashcam (with the mount) into the glove compartment. Although, coming to think of it, the dashcam might be a little too low to record effectively when on this mount.
Old 11th April 2018, 09:12   #2118
Senior - BHPian

Just bought SJcam M10. The primary reason behind buying this camera is, I can use this camera as dash cam as well as a helmet camera. I am not going to fix this camera on my dashboard instead I "ll use clip holder in the car, so I can remove it anytime to use it with my helmet.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-1.jpg

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-2.jpg

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-3.jpg

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-4.jpg

Here are the specs and review of the camera.
https://bestactioncamera.net/sjcam-m10-cube-review/
Old 11th April 2018, 16:28   #2119
BHPian

Hello guys,
I am new to Dash cam and not really a technical guy. So need help from the guru's here. I have selected Xiaomi 70MAI Smart Car DVR 1080P for my XUV. I need your inputs as in how is this product and shall I go ahead with it or is there any thing else that I can look for within the similar price range?

link:
http://www.dx.com/p/xiaomi-70-minute...B#.Ws3Re4hubIV
Old 12th April 2018, 13:06   #2120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh09 View Post

Just check it out if it is an English version or Chinese version. First lot were Chinese versions.

Chinese version is quite irritating. You cannot stop the voice commands which it talks when it is switched on or off.

Another challenge which you may face is that it records the HD video every minute. Unlike others, which records for a full 3 or 5 min duration.

Clarity wise its comparable with the decent ones in the market.

On another note, if you want to remove the dashcam when you give your vehicle for service, its a big pain. One single small screw holds it. In addition, it has a sticky mount. Once fixed, there is no way to can change the view angles. (Have been with this problem from the start). One needs to be really careful when you align it before sticking it to the windscreen.

Be careful of the custom costs. Now the trend is India Post is charging for each and every item imported.

Hope this helps
lambuhere1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2018, 10:27   #2121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Be careful of the custom costs. Now the trend is India Post is charging for each and every item imported.
I received a Yi Dashcam yesterday and a RVC 2 days ago from Aliexpress via India Post. I was not charged a single penny by India Post while delivering for both these packages. I must have bought at least 30-35 items from Aliexpress over the last couple of years and my experience is that if the package is handled by India Post, then there is no customs. Whereas if the shipping is via Aramex or Fedex or DHL, then there is always custom duties levied. Just my 2 cents.
Old 15th April 2018, 12:22   #2122
BHPian

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh09 View Post
Hello guys,

I am new to Dash cam and not really a technical guy. So need help from the guru's here. I have selected Xiaomi 70MAI Smart Car DVR 1080P for my XUV. I need your inputs as in how is this product and shall I go ahead with it or is there any thing else that I can look for within the similar price range?

link:

http://www.dx.com/p/xiaomi-70-minute...B#.Ws3Re4hubIV

I was looking to buy the same one for my Civic. However I figured out from the reviews that it has only Chinese language. There is no option for English. Also it does not have an App for iPhone. Hence I bought a DDPAI mini 2K camera. Costed 5500. It's a capacitor based model. You can also buy their full HD model for 3500 approx. On papers a yi dashcam looked better since it's wide angle is better than this one however I wanted something small and without a screen and I was a fan of its looks. Hope this helps.

Last edited by nik0502 : 15th April 2018 at 12:24.
Old 15th April 2018, 12:36   #2123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
Just bought SJcam M10. The primary reason behind buying this camera is, I can use this camera as dash cam as well as a helmet camera. I am not going to fix this camera on my dashboard instead I "ll use clip holder in the car, so I can remove it anytime to use it with my helmet.

Here are the specs and review of the camera.
https://bestactioncamera.net/sjcam-m10-cube-review/
I liked its form factor. Had used one for about 5-6 months before it gave up. The problem was with the USB port coming loose and it was quite a common issue back in the day. This thread has details/issues/solutions from members using the M10. Hope it serves you well!
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2018, 21:55   #2124

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Cancelled my A119S booking and ordered this today. Has to be mounted on the dashboard. If it works as intended, I can get my Torque Pro app configured on it instead of mounting a Google Nexus in car.
Phisung E02 8"Touch 4G Android wifi GPS Full HD 1080P Video Recorder Dual Lens Registrar Dash cam ROM 16GB ADAS car dvr camera
http://s.aliexpress.com/vmiIZRNz?

Attachment 1747392
Do share your experience with this. This gets a 8" screen on your dash and also provides the DVR functionality. Still few doubts about the same:
  • Does not mention the upper limit on the SD cards supported.
  • 25fps is bit low.
  • Android ver 5.1 is quite old. not sure new apps would support that.
  • mounting location - would that give a better perspective..? Most dash cams are mounted at the top of the windshield.
  • mounting location - would it not obstruct the view of the road?
Just few doubts from my side.
But please do share your review once fixing it in your car.

Thanks!
Old 18th April 2018, 08:44   #2125
BHPian

I had a harrowing incident recently. From my home there is a minor road which opens up to a much bigger road like a T junction. I say minor but the road is 4 lane with proper divider and the bigger road is 6 lane.
I was coming out when a girl on Scooty came full speed wrong way on the major road and turned wrong way into the minor.
Luckily I was not fast and braked hard. The girl swerved and almost hit the divider but managed to stay upright. She immediately fled.
But I have come to the conclusion that I need to fit a dash cam. In any such incidents the bigger car and the guy driver will be held to blame.

Researching online I came across this cam AUKEY Dash Cam (link).
Does anyone have any experiences with is?
Any other recommendations?
Old 18th April 2018, 10:03   #2126
Senior - BHPian

If you are picking cheap chinese Dashcams I am using this and it is quite decent. No internal battery either so it won't heat up and blow when parked in the sun.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Andr...311.0.0.xXgJWZ
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 15:35   #2127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Well, it had to stop somewhere. Frankly, I just could not get interested in the small details for comparison and putting off the decision: I ordered a Viofo from AliExpress.

VIOFO Car DVRs A119S Upgraded V2 US$15; just over 7k Rs.
Ordered 29th March, received 18 April. I make that twenty days, which is pretty good.

Kit includes GPS mount, wiring kit and suction mount.

Didn't manage to get away with zero customs this time. Despite (or because of?) undervaluation on the label, Rs.2,134 was charged. Never mind: if they opened all my little packages from China, I'm sure I would owe them more than that.

The thing now, is to move it from shelf to car!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 15:46   #2128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
Well, myself took the plunge and ordered this YI Smart DashCam for $38 (after $8 discount using various coupons), approx. INR 2,600 yesterday and it has already been shipped out by SG Post.
The current tracking status of my Aliexpress ordered Yi Smart Dashcam, shows as "Record item customs information (lnb), Air, CHENNAI CUSTOMS (FGN AIR COMPLEX), Retention Reason: Retained by customs for unspecified reason."

Any idea on the above tracking status?

Last edited by jpcoolguy : 18th April 2018 at 15:49.
Old 18th April 2018, 15:51   #2129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
The current tracking status of my Aliexpress ordered Yi Smart Dashcam, shows as "Record item customs information (lnb), Air, CHENNAI CUSTOMS (FGN AIR COMPLEX), Retention Reason: Retained by customs for unspecified reason."

Any idea on the above tracking status?
Just wait for a few days (meaning a couple of weeks at times). The postman will turn up with the package once the customs gets around to assessing duty on it. You then have to pay him the duty in cash (demonetisation? what demonetisation?) and collect your parcel.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 17:01   #2130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Despite (or because of?) undervaluation on the label, Rs.2,134 was charged.
Ouch, that's pretty steep. I paid Rs 1,800 as customs duty in Oct 2017.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks