Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2018, 22:24   #1981
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Hello Everyone,

Recently we have purchased YI dash cam through one of my relations from US. We got 2 cameras during Cyber Monday sale though Amazon.com.

https://www.amazon.com/YI-1080P60-Da...dash+cam&psc=1

We got each dash cam for $54 along with 64GB class 10 micro SD card. Camera feature you can find it in the above link. Its very easy to fix the cams if you have 2 12V charging sockets in your Car. Luckily S-cross has 2 Sockets one at front and other at Boot. I have fixed each camera front and rear. I will try to post some sample recording for you shortly. This is for present rest in next.
pkothak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2018, 21:38   #1982
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
. Then I changed the wire. Now I use a micro USB cable with a separate USB port and it's been working like that since last 2 years. I had to install a separate 12V port just for this purpose.
I am trying this method. Have ordered the required stuff and will check if it solves my issue as well. Mine doesn't turn on at all, with the charger, so I am hoping this will solve it.
Old 8th January 2018, 11:11   #1983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejavuTrip View Post

My raison d etre for a dashcam is to be safe in case of accidents like the Bhpians in these threads Link3 and Link4 .

If you looking only at the safety factor in incidents/accidents SJ4000 Wifi does a fair job
I have been using Two (2) SJCAM SJ4000 Wifi in my scorpio Front and Rear from 2015. Working flawlessly without any issues and almost fit it and forget it kind of situation. Like many people have already explained:

Pros:
Reliable and no surprises - so far
Comes with many accessories
Sturdy and decent build quality
Wide Angle Lens and decent Chip/hardware

Cons:
Cables are short and not having enough length
Need some work around for mounting permanently
Not Discreet, but am ok with that and not that prominently visible in Scorpio

Wiring: I bought a multi-port USB charger (comes with 3 additional 12-v sockets and 1 USB port, input from 12V socket) and a couple of USB male/female Extension cables and did DIY wiring in my scorpio. Earlier I used to connect my rear camera to the middle row 12-v socket, which gets disturbed with rear passengers touching it accidentally, now I moved the 12v multi socket under driver seat and its working without any issues.

Mounting: Used the bike mount to mount below the IRVM and its been staying there for last 3 years. Easy removing the camera when needed, is a few seconds job. Used a mount with double sided tape for the rear glass, have been staying without any issues, and easy to remove camera from here too. My experiments with suction glass mounts have not been successful and they come off often.

I would have liked if the Wifi of the device turned on automatically when powered, which would have helped me to use it as a reverse camera also.

And BTW - I was the one who posted the incident Pondichery-accident and I was lucky enough to escape without any major issues, one main reason I was having camera footage.
Old 8th January 2018, 16:52   #1984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
I have been using Two (2) SJCAM SJ4000 Wifi..... from 2015.....I bought a multi-port USB charger....Used the bike mount to mount below the IRVM and its been staying there for last 3 years......would have liked if the Wifi of the device turned on automatically when powered, which would have helped me to use it as a reverse camera also...
We are in the same boat, I too have 2 of them, working well since 2015. But I installed Viofo recently just for its compactness, although I am not happy with its reflections and glare. Could you post a pic of the cycle mount set up ? I have not used the double side glue for SJCam because I keep moving them around the car for various purposes (eg. sometimes passenger movements are recorded for the fun of it). I love to try it externally, on top of the roof but not yet sure which suction mount is reliable for the purpose. Inputs appreciated !

I still need to figure out the SJCam accessories given in the box and find a way to use all of them whenever possible

Last edited by shajufx : 8th January 2018 at 16:56.
Old 9th January 2018, 09:25   #1985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Could you post a pic of the cycle mount set up ?

I still need to figure out the SJCam accessories given in the box and find a way to use all of them whenever possible
Sorry I don't have the picture of the install with me now, but for quick reference, please see the attached image. Refer to the URL for more details:

https://sjcam.com/products/accessories/page/4/

The bike mount I could fix on the small plastic handle which hold the IRVM and its stable there.

I say it is better to use the double sided tape to fix the mounts where ever you like, and in case if you have to move, you just need another spare sticky tape which you can purchase locally.
Attached Thumbnails
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-sjcamaccessories.jpg  

Old 9th January 2018, 11:51   #1986
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
Sorry I don't have the picture of the install with me now.....bike mount I could fix on the small plastic handle which hold the IRVM and its stable there.....better to use the double sided tape to fix the mounts wherever you like....
I tried the bike mount on the head rest support but its lose, need to find a way to make it stable. May be a thicker rubber strip will solve the issue. I am not keen on the double side tape because it restricts our creativity when we work with multiple cams. I have 3 in the car right now, Viofo is stable as a dashcam, other 2 keep changing positions, sometimes as a rear facing cam, other times different spots inside the cabin. Pic of what I tried in the morning, it gives a 'car review' POV ! Later I connected it to the middle 12v socket which works perfect as car mode. I would be super excited if I can connect all 3 cams to a single touch screen wireless (android or ios).
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-sjcmid.jpeg
shajufx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2018, 20:40   #1987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
Review: Xiaomi MiJia Car DVR
Update :

Looks like the number of people buying the Xiaomi MiJia Car DVR outside China have increased. Some good soul has created a new app for Android users(unsure about iOS). It is called MI Dash Cam.

It is completely in English and comes with a user manual, Tips, FAQs and Installation guides with images. Once you pair the camera it shows the settings, gallery and firmware update.

The app shows unreleased but it is stable and works well.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-screenshot_20180113202857310_com.banyac.mijia.app.asia.png

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-screenshot_20180113202919317_com.banyac.mijia.app.asia.png

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-screenshot_20180113202934912_com.banyac.mijia.app.asia.png

Link : MI Dash Cam

I came across it while watching this review.

Funnily the camera in the review shows firmware 1.0.11. whereas mine being 1.0.08 shows up to date. I would love to have the date and time stamp in orange.

Last edited by Shanksta : 13th January 2018 at 20:41.
Shanksta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2018, 21:02   #1988
BHPian

I ordered for myself a Yi Smart Dashcam from AliExpress for $55.

Hopefully I will be getting it in a month.

I plan to hardwire it to the fusebox using this kit.
Car DVR Camera Recorder Wire Dash Cam Hardwire Kit USB Power Cable
Old 16th January 2018, 22:12   #1989
BHPian

Please find my Yi dash cam samples, as I mentioned previously I have installed 2 Yi dash cams one at Front and another at rear.

pkothak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2018, 22:46   #1990
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkothak View Post
Please find my Yi dash cam samples, as I mentioned previously I have installed 2 Yi dash cams one at Front and another at rear.
Install the Yi Dashcam app on your smartphone and from the settings, you can disable the Yi logo from the top-left corner of the clips.

You have to start the app and be connected through wi-fi to do it.
Old 17th January 2018, 12:36   #1991
BHPian

Quote:
one at Front and another at rear.
How do you power rear cam ? Please enlighten or share pictures of that setup.
Old 17th January 2018, 12:48   #1992
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
How do you power rear cam ? Please enlighten or share pictures of that setup.
Usually the Dashcam charger cable's length is long enough that one can route it neatly behind the trims and floor and then connect to the additional 12V cigarette lighter socket provided in the second/third row based on which car you have. These days, in most cars you do get the 12v socket at the rear.

Else, one can easily settle with the DIY by using the fuse tap method along with hardwiring kit and connect it at the fuse box itself.
Old 17th January 2018, 13:15   #1993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

Recently we have purchased YI dash cam through one of my relations from US. We got 2 cameras during Cyber Monday sale though Amazon.com.

https://www.amazon.com/YI-1080P60-Da...dash+cam&psc=1

We got each dash cam for $54 along with 64GB class 10 micro SD card. Camera feature you can find it in the above link. Its very easy to fix the cams if you have 2 12V charging sockets in your Car. Luckily S-cross has 2 Sockets one at front and other at Boot. I have fixed each camera front and rear. I will try to post some sample recording for you shortly. This is for present rest in next.
Congratulations on the good deal. Can you post some pics of the actual install of both the cams in your car? These would be very useful for s-cross owners. You can either post it here or in the s-cross review thread.
Old 20th January 2018, 08:26   #1994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
Update :

Looks like the number of people buying the Xiaomi MiJia Car DVR outside China have increased. Some good soul has created a new app for Android users(unsure about iOS). It is called MI Dash Cam.
Unfortunately Shanksta, this app was what i had installed at my first try to install the camera. It however did not work, and I shifted to the MI Home app in my wife's MI phone.

Now, whenever I power up the camera, its display and wife's phone shows the shooting for a couple of seconds and then again shifts to the settings screen, showing a big exclamation mark.
Old 22nd January 2018, 09:55   #1995
BHPian

I need a little help guys.

I have been planning to buy Sjcam for my motorbike. Wanted to know if I can use this as a dashcam for my car as well? Or do I need to purchase another cam for my car?

Also, does the YI Smart cam come with mounts? If I order it from Aliexpress, do I need to order mounts separately?

Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks