BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post

Now here are the negatives:
1. Viofo video reflects everything under it and around it
2. Viofo takes in all the glare coming from any angle
3. Viofo audio is pathetic, hear it with a headphone, you will hear aliens
4. Viofo GPS is not accurate with the speed, It showed upto 50kmph when I was doing under 20, It can act against you
5. Viofo heats up mildly and you can smell solder and chipboard inside
6. Viofo is overpriced ! Yes, considering what is inside it, it must be under Rs.3000
I did face issues with reflection but adding a cpl did cut it down other wise did not face any other issues. I have 3 Viofos and 2 more are landing in a week.
mjumrani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 16:33   #1922
BHPian

Quote:
As feared, it's all for real. I am making a list of all the names here who recommended Viofo, I will hunt you all down with an axe

Here is my take :
1. Viofo is very compact
2. Viofo video is very crisp and clear

THAT'S THE END. Nothing more, nothing less.

Now here are the negatives:
1. Viofo video reflects everything under it and around it
2. Viofo takes in all the glare coming from any angle
3. Viofo audio is pathetic, hear it with a headphone, you will hear aliens
4. Viofo GPS is not accurate with the speed, It showed upto 50kmph when I was doing under 20, It can act against you
5. Viofo heats up mildly and you can smell solder and chipboard inside
6. Viofo is overpriced ! Yes, considering what is inside it, it must be under Rs.3000

I will try to find a way to cut the glare and reflections, otherwise its off my car very soon. Someone might say, get a CPL, I have seen video reviews with and without it, there is hardly any difference !

I am sorry to say this, Viofo is an overhyped dashcam more than its worth or quality ! I bought SJcam 4000 wifi under 6k in India 2 years back, it comes with a huge list of accessories including waterproof case and the quality of audio and video are anyday better than Viofo, it also has dashcam function.

A screenshot from the parking: It is showing 50+kmph
Attachment 1702801
The reason you're getting increased reflection compared to the SJ4000 is because with wedge cameras the lens is closer to the windshield. CPL does help.

If you want to eliminate reflections without using a CPL, get a dash mat.

Yes the audio sucks, sucks even more of you're running the camera using a 3rd party cable or if another camera is mounted nearby.

The SJ4000 comes with a crap load of accessories but what you forget is that it also comes with a battery, not ideal for dash cam use, especially if recording while parked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgginish View Post
I completely agree with you. My 8 months old A119 stopped working, switches on with a red screen displaying VIOFO in the screen. From the dash cam forums, I found that its a common issue with many users.
Were/are you using a 3rd party cable to power the camera?

Last edited by harsh79 : 5th December 2017 at 16:34.
harsh79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 17:00   #1923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh79 View Post
... wedge cameras the lens is closer to the windshield. CPL does help....without using a CPL, get a dashmat.
Viofo CPL reviews whatever I have seen only cuts down the glare, not reflections. My A pillar is beige and it shows on both sides of the output. I cant put a dashmat as there are multiple air vents facing upwards and the windscreen. So, I think its vehicle specific dashboard layout that is not going well with the dashcam. Most probably, its going to my wife's car as its good to know her routes once in a while

Planning to pick up a Garmin 55 from US, let me know if anyone has used it. It has a higher quality lens and GPS with voice activated commands
Old 5th December 2017, 17:41   #1924
BHPian

Quote:
Viofo CPL reviews whatever I have seen only cuts down the glare, not reflections. My A pillar is beige and it shows on both sides of the output. I cant put a dashmat as there are multiple air vents facing upwards and the windscreen. So, I think its vehicle specific dashboard layout that is not going well with the dashcam. Most probably, its going to my wife's car as its good to know her routes once in a while

Planning to pick up a Garmin 55 from US, let me know if anyone has used it. It has a higher quality lens and GPS with voice activated commands
Beige A-pillars are exacerbating the situation. If you can find your vehicle specific dash mat, all holes and cutouts for the vents will be there on the mat too. I for one find them to be an eyesore, was just putting it out there as from what I've seen, they seem to work really well.

You could get the A-pillars wrapped, just a thought.

Garmin's 55 is good, same sensor as the A119 (OV4689).Overheating issues were recently addressed via a firmware update, comes with a battery though.
Old 5th December 2017, 17:58   #1925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh79 View Post
Were/are you using a 3rd party cable to power the camera?
Are you sure using a 3rd party cable causes the unit to malfunction? My A119 is on its way and I was contemplating using the already concealed cable and charger of my Pioneer dash cam. The ratings are same for both.
Old 5th December 2017, 18:15   #1926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
Are you sure using a 3rd party cable causes the unit to malfunction? My A119 is on its way and I was contemplating using the already concealed cable and charger of my Pioneer dash cam. The ratings are same for both.
Yes, I've experienced file corruption, firmware crashes and additional in-audio static with the A119S while using generic 1.5 & 4M cables. Not many reports of such behaviour from the A119 but still a few.

You could try the cable you intend to use, if there isn't any on-screen flicker or file corruption, you're probably good to go, but I'd still recommend using the one supplied with the camera.
Old 5th December 2017, 21:02   #1927
BHPian

Quote:
Viofo GPS is not accurate with the speed, It showed upto 50kmph when I was doing under 20, It can act against you

A screenshot from the parking: It is showing 50+kmph
AFAIK, GPS doesn't work well in indoor locations. From your picture, the speed error may be because of building. Signals get heavily attenuated by the building materials.

Have you experienced this error outdoor - on road?
Old 5th December 2017, 22:35   #1928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
....Have you experienced this error outdoor - on road?
Not yet got time to take it to the main road. I am trying to use a sunglass part as a filter to the lens and test it on Saturday on the reflection/glare part. Will update as it happens.
Old 7th December 2017, 08:36   #1929
Senior - BHPian

Here are a couple of daytime videos from Yi dashcam. the video looked better on the mobile however looks quite grainy on the You tube. Any suggestions to make the video quality look better? presently on 1920 X 1080p 60fps settings.

ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 09:06   #1930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
the video looked better on the mobile however looks quite grainy on the You tube. Any suggestions to make the video quality look better? presently on 1920 X 1080p 60fps settings.
Youtube by default plays videos in "Auto" mode, in which it determines what the appropriate quality you should see the video in based on your bandwidth availability and presumably other factors. This is often 360p or 480p when in India. You need to manually select the higher quality option from the Youtube player (which you access via the gear icon on the player's bottom right along with the Fullscreen and Cast buttons).

Here are two screenshots of your video I took, first with default and second with best quality.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-screenshot-20171207-08.59.28.png
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-screenshot-20171207-08.59.52.png
binand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 16:50   #1931
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Here are a couple of daytime videos from Yi dashcam. the video looked better on the mobile however looks quite grainy on the You tube. Any suggestions to make the video quality look better? presently on 1920 X 1080p 60fps settings.
Afternoon video looks out of focus on the left, heat related focus shifts are common on this Yi model.
harsh79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 09:00   #1932
BHPian

Okay Guys

I bought this Rear View Mirror Mounted Android system with FHD Dashcam + Rear View Camera system + 4G Hotspot + Bluetooth + Car Tracker + GPS Navigator all built in one.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Phis...460.0.0.shM0ZW

I actually bought it for $129 from Amazon US and got it shipped to my sister;s place there. Somebody will carry it to India for me. I did not want to take a chance with duties and deliveries when I order through aliexpress.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And for Hard Wiring this is a good value for money thing for around $3 with free shipping.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC12...311.0.0.y3HUe5
or
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-8m...311.0.0.L0j4mc

And if you want to fuse tap it, spend another $1 for this :
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mini...311.0.0.L0j4mc

I ordered these hard wire things from aliexpress. This is my first order on aliexpress, and I hope these reach me.

I will post a review after I install everything on my Grand Vitara.

Styler.

Last edited by Styler : 8th December 2017 at 09:04.
Old 8th December 2017, 15:07   #1933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Received my Viofo A119S yesterday from AliExpress, ordered on 11/11.
Got the camera+ GPS kit + hardwiring kit + cpl filter.

Did not get a chance to dig deep except connecting the camera briefly to my computer to check that it is powering up.

Shall check details and possibly install over the weekend, with possible hardwiring in the next weekend.
Installed the camera in my car today (temporary using the 12v socket), the reason for delay being the card bought from amazon.in only being delivered yesterday. (bought a class 10 samsung evo 32GB as sandisk was advised against in all forums, and lexar/transcend ones being too costly)

Shall share videos / comments on quality / other performance once I have day and night videos for a couple of days in various conditions.
Old 8th December 2017, 15:46   #1934
Senior - BHPian

Here's the night video from the Yi dashcam. Request the experts to comment on the quality and focus etc for a noobs in this area like me .

Old 8th December 2017, 20:15   #1935
Team-BHP Support

Had purchased DDPai mini2 about a month back, installation was straight forward and was done within 10 mts. Just normal ciggie lighter point for powering the camera for now. Today downloaded two clips and am impressed with the 74$ purchase through AliExpress. Sharing it here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks