Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2017, 09:14   #1801
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
I am thinking of buying the Yi dash cam and could like to know whether you have used any kind of filters on the camera of the unit to avoid reflections or glares.

Does the presence of battery in the unit bother you considering that most of the BHPians have been preferring the Capacitor type Dash cams? How heated does the unit get while operation and during summers? I am told the recording gets a bit blurred during summers when the unit is heated. Considering that you are from Jaipur and temperatures are quite high during summer in your area, did you face any real time issues when viewing the videos?

How has been your experience with the App? Does the wifi work smooth and seamless or does suffer from connection issues. Your inputs will definitely help my purchase.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2017, 11:03   #1802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I am thinking of buying the Yi dash cam and could like to know whether you have used any kind of filters on the camera of the unit to avoid reflections or glares.

Does the presence of battery in the unit bother you considering that most of the BHPians have been preferring the Capacitor type Dash cams? How heated does the unit get while operation and during summers? I am told the recording gets a bit blurred during summers when the unit is heated. Considering that you are from Jaipur and temperatures are quite high during summer in your area, did you face any real time issues when viewing the videos?

How has been your experience with the App? Does the wifi work smooth and seamless or does suffer from connection issues. Your inputs will definitely help my purchase.
1. I haven't installed the lens filter till now thanks for reminding me, I had forgotten about it honestly, will post the pics with the lens filter asap.

2. I have not faced any battery related issues with the camera so far. I was skeptical about the battery too but Yi dashcam is manufactured to be used as a dashcam and they must have taken into account the high temperatures and intense heat that camera might have to face during r&d, it has worked without problems all summer for me. I have left the car under direct sunlight all day long and as you said temperatures here were more than 45°C at times and in car temperature even higher, but it stood strong.
Yes, the camera looses focus when the it becomes too hot. But still gets the job done.

3. App is very sorted and I haven't faced any issues with it till now. WiFi works seamlessly no connection issues whatsoever.

The Yi dashcam version I have is Yi Smart Youth Dashcam with ADAS. I was able to flash the english language firmware to convert from Chinese to English language on the cam. This version is cheaper than the global version and comes only with only the stick on type attachment while the global version comes with suction type attachment mount as well and english firmware.
I had bought it for around ₹3500, and now it is available for ₹3050 at Yi official store on AliExpress. It is an absolute VFM option and nothing beats it at that.
A new version of the cam, Yi Ultra Dashcam is now available as well for around ₹6000.
I would suggest you to also check out the dashcamtalk forum for more info.

Last edited by wrongturn : 7th November 2017 at 11:11.
wrongturn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2017, 12:46   #1803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
1. I haven't installed the lens filter till now thanks for reminding me, I had forgotten about it honestly, will post the pics with the lens filter asap.

2. I have not faced any battery related issues with the camera so far. I was skeptical about the battery too but Yi dashcam is manufactured to be used as a dashcam and they must have taken into account the high temperatures and intense heat that camera might have to face during r&d, it has worked without problems all summer for me. I have left the car under direct sunlight all day long and as you said temperatures here were more than 45°C at times and in car temperature even higher, but it stood strong.
Yes, the camera looses focus when the it becomes too hot. But still gets the job done.

3. App is very sorted and I haven't faced any issues with it till now. WiFi works seamlessly no connection issues whatsoever.

The Yi dashcam version I have is Yi Smart Youth Dashcam with ADAS. I was able to flash the english language firmware to convert from Chinese to English language on the cam. This version is cheaper than the global version and comes only with only the stick on type attachment while the global version comes with suction type attachment mount as well and english firmware.
I had bought it for around ₹3500, and now it is available for ₹3050 at Yi official store on AliExpress. It is an absolute VFM option and nothing beats it at that.
A new version of the cam, Yi Ultra Dashcam is now available as well for around ₹6000.
I would suggest you to also check out the dashcamtalk forum for more info.
Thanks for the response.
Please do provide the filter details, cost and from where it was procured with a few installed pics.
I did check out the Ultra dashcam from Yi on their website. Costs double than the normal one but feature wise I could not find any striking difference. Checked on a couple of dashcam forums, performance wise it appears same except that it has a higher rated processor. So I will stick to the normal one. There is hardly any difference in cost wise between the Chinese and International versions, few hundred rupees. So will prefer the International version.
Posting the queries related to temperature operatability of Yi Cameras as seen on the Yi Website.

Quote:
Why does the plastic case of the camera become hot when it is in use?

While the camera is working, the electronic parts inside the camera will generate some heat and some may find the case hot. The applicable temperature of the camera is from -10 degrees centigrade to 60 degrees centigrade. YI Smart Dashcam is designed to release heat from inside to outside very efficiently to protect the electronic components inside. Also, it uses flame retardant material in its case to prevent any potential fire.
Quote:
What is the operating temperature for YI Smart Dashcam?

The operating temperature of the camera is from -10 degrees Celsius to 60 degrees Celsius

Last edited by ghodlur : 7th November 2017 at 12:55.
Old 7th November 2017, 13:33   #1804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryendu87 View Post
Just received my Viofo A119 ordered from ALiexpress...
What was the time taken from payment to delivery ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh79 View Post
There don't seem to be any fakes yet....
Unfortunately, there are fakes sold for lower rates !

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Is anyone using this here, for a landing price of around 6000, it seems like a fair deal.
If you are getting it for your car, 120 angle is too narrow compared to the standard of 150-170 range. Viofo is 135 angle. Tilting it down covering the dash could be another way of increasing the angle. For Bikers, 120 may be the right spot.

Presently I am using SJCam4000 which has 170 wide angle, its a perfect coverage of my entire left mirror to right mirror area. Again it depends on why you are installing one. If its just the coverage of your routes, anything works fine. If its a record of your route and people around you who may dent or scrape your car, then widest possible is the way to go.

Update on the SJCam 400 Wifi: There have been dozens of posts on multiple international forums that it does not support 64 GB cards. Even company claims upto 32 GB supported. I tested with a 64 GB card (Sandisk Ultra-class10) and it works perfectly fine. Records over 8 hours in the highest quality.
Old 7th November 2017, 13:48   #1805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
The DDPai Mini2 is a wifi enabled dashcam.
Was going through some youtube videos on the comparison of DDPai Mini2 with VIOFO A119 and seems Mini2 video clarity is appreciable both at daylight and night. Cost wise (Aliexpress), Mini2 seems a bit cheaper. Added it to the cart and now awaiting 11.11

Edit: Do we need to order for a hardwire kit?

Last edited by dre@ms : 7th November 2017 at 13:53. Reason: Added edit..
Old 7th November 2017, 17:40   #1806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
What was the time taken from payment to delivery ?
I placed the order on 22nd June and it got delivered on 3rd July, 2017. That's fast for an international consignment with free shipping

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-capture.jpg
Suryendu87 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2017, 18:04   #1807
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
.....Mini2 seems a bit cheaper. Added it to the cart and now awaiting 11.11.....
11.11 is Singles' Day in China. Are you single ? The special offers are meant for 'Single and available' Jokes apart, hardwire cables are available even in the local shops, unless you are getting it as pack offer from the seller !
shajufx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2017, 18:16   #1808
BHPian

Quote:

Unfortunately, there are fakes sold for lower rates !
Got a link?

Papago 770 (first one to use it), VIOFO's A119,A119S and the new SG9663DC all use the same housing design, it's a public model housing.
Old 7th November 2017, 18:37   #1809
Senior - BHPian

@wrongturn: How does the ADAS work in the real world? I've been looking for a device to add Navigation, BT telephony, rear camera and DVR. This device has ADAS, but I'm skeptical about it's use in our haphazard traffic.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32...999.276.izUH5A
Old 8th November 2017, 05:13   #1810
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Was going through some Youtube videos on the comparison of DDPai Mini2 with VIOFO A119 and seems Mini2 video clarity is appreciable both at daylight and night. Cost wise (Aliexpress), Mini2 seems a bit cheaper. Added it to the cart and now awaiting 11.11

Edit: Do we need to order for a hardwire kit?
Missed this yesterday, as i didn't get a quote notification.

The hardwire kit has to be ordered as an additional accessory. I chose not to opt for it, and just run mine off the 12V supply, while having the wire nicely tucked away through the top of the windshield and via the A Pillar and below the steering.

Honestly, speaking the night vision isnt exactly optimal, but i dont think there are many at this range which are much better.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 09:54   #1811
BHPian

Quote:
11.11 is Singles' Day in China. Are you single ? The special offers are meant for 'Single and available' Jokes apart, hardwire cables are available even in the local shops, unless you are getting it as pack offer from the seller !
Ohh.. I thought it was something like our very own Great Indian Sale
By the way, hardwire kit is not part of the package and it needs to be procured separately.

Quote:
Missed this yesterday, as i didn't get a quote notification.

The hardwire kit has to be ordered as an additional accessory. I chose not to opt for it, and just run mine off the 12V supply, while having the wire nicely tucked away through the top of the windshield and via the A Pillar and below the steering.

Honestly, speaking the night vision isnt exactly optimal, but i dont think there are many at this range which are much better.
Will then ignore the hardwire kit. By the way, what is the length of the charging cable?
The reviews are pretty impressive especially on the wifi thing and app support. If none available in this price with all these features, then will go for it.

Also confused on the color choice. Which would be stealthier, Silver or Black?
Old 8th November 2017, 10:02   #1812
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also confused on the color choice. Which would be stealthier, Silver or Black?
When i ordered mine, i didn't know black was an option. I would prefer black anyday over the silver, as i feel it is less conspicuous
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 10:59   #1813
BHPian

Quote:
When i ordered mine, i didn't know black was an option. I would prefer black anyday over the silver, as i feel it is less conspicuous
Does mini2 support 64GB card?
Old 8th November 2017, 12:39   #1814
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Does mini2 support 64GB card?
It does, but i haven't tried it. I am currently using a 8GB card from my old mobile, as i didn't get around to buying one with higher capacity.

One thing to keep in mind is prior to first use, format the card using the app, and you should be fine.
Old 8th November 2017, 20:32   #1815
BHPian

@Mods - If I may suggest, is there an option to include voting for this topic? The idea is not to draw anyone to conclusion/recommend any particular brand, but at the least we could get a fair idea of what majority of our members are using here.

As I was waiting for 11.11 on aliexpress, I am forced to redeem amazon vouchers worth 4-5k by the end of this month that I received as a recognition. I am in a fix. I am not sure what else could I use these vouchers for in terms of car accessories and its likes except for a dash cam - Blaupunkt BP2.0 or Procus Convoy. Suggestions will be of great help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks