Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2017, 16:19   #1711
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
I have powered the camera using the 12V port, and the camera keeps ON even when car is OFF, so it eats up battery. Only choice I have is to remove the charger from the 12v socket. Any way to automate this? I have Viofo 119S
I am also using my Viofo 119s in the same way by connecting to the 12V socket. Couple of times i forgot to disconnect (one full night and few hours like that). But so far, haven't faced any battery discharge issue. I have enabled the motion deduction option, which will make the camera idle when there is no movement for more than a minute.

I have bought the hardwire kit also along with the Camera, which can be connected through the fuse box. In that case, it will automatically switch on / off along with the car ignition. I am yet to do the wiring though.
Old 14th September 2017, 16:21   #1712
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have powered the camera using the 12V port, and the camera keeps ON even when car is OFF, so it eats up battery. Only choice I have is to remove the charger from the 12v socket. Any way to automate this? I have Viofo 119S
Some cars come with 'always ON' power socket. If you are more concerned about draining the battery, better get it hard wired by locating 'ACC/ON' powered fuse.
Old 14th September 2017, 16:24   #1713
BHPian

Quote:
I have powered the camera using the 12V port, and the camera keeps ON even when car is OFF, so it eats up battery. Any way to automate this? I have Viofo 119S
Get a Hard wire Kit.
Costs around Rs 2000/ for a decent set.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-hard-wire-kit.jpg
(image courtesy - google images)

Or get either of the below. Costs around Rs 200/.
If you are willing to tap a power source and splice the wire, well and good. And if you are against cutting and splicing wires, get a fuse tap.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-lighter.jpg

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-1-carcigarettelightersocket.jpg

Go down to your nearest FNG. Get them to connect the socket to a power supply that comes on with the ignition, or tap a fuse for the power, using the fuse tap. Connect the charger to the socket. Bind the joint with insulation tape to hold both together, so that it does not slip out. Tuck the whole thing behind and under the dashboard, and secure it using cable ties. You will be able to find a strong securing point somewhere below the dash board.
This is assuming that you have already run the wire from the camera through the roof lining, A pillar and then down towards the socket.

Last edited by CAPTAIN REX : 14th September 2017 at 16:51.
CAPTAIN REX is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 17:15   #1714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
Hello,

I have a few questions regarding this device sir.
Hi,

Yes, will answer your questions but please no 'sir' buddy.

Quote:
Only 2 minutes loop seems very short, pardon my ignorance but does it over write the loop or does it keep saving videos in 2 min duration's in different videos. If so then does it save on a memory card or only on cloud.
It records a 2 minute loop and does so till the memory card is full. Each video clip is about 220mb and once the memory card is full it will overwrite the oldest clip and so on. In my case with 32gb card the cam is able to store roughly 5 hours worth of 2 minute clips all in 1080p.

Quote:
To access this do you have to install a wifi receiver in the car ? (I am really new to this hence asking)
No the device has inbuilt WiFi module that connects with your phone and you can transfer and save videos through the app. Only initially when you add the device in the app(on your smartphone) you need to have your mobile data on in your phone so that it can download the device plug-in. After that no mobile data is required to connect through the dash cam through WiFi.

Last edited by Shanksta : 14th September 2017 at 17:16.
Shanksta is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 17:47   #1715
BHPian

Quote:

So I have to remove this USB charger in order to disconnect the camera, else it will eat up the battery by continuously feeding on the 12V socket.
I believe the power consumption of the dash-cam should be pretty low and even after 24 hours the battery should be good for cranking. One option could be to check this out on a week-end or a holiday and then take a decision on getting the wiring linked to acc/ignition.
Old 16th September 2017, 18:20   #1716
Senior - BHPian

Ultimately you must remove the dash cam mount from your windscreen one day. Whether it is because you're changing cars or windshield, that day eventually comes.

Except the damn thing is incredibly hard to remove. I lost my previous mount because in almost 20 minutes, it just wouldn't come out, even using a blade. Actually it's incredibly easy once you learn the concept of mechanical advantage.

Just take a thick nylon string, wrap it around the corners and just yank the damn mount. My ICE installer just did it for me right now. I could've saved the 10$ I spent in buying new mounts, if I'd read this tip / trick earlier!
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2017, 22:42   #1717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Just take a thick nylon string, wrap it around the corners and just yank the damn mount. My ICE installer just did it for me right now. I could've saved the 10$ I spent in buying new mounts, if I'd read this tip / trick earlier!
My Viofo A119 kit included a mount detaching string.
Attached Thumbnails
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_20170916_223652.jpg  

airbus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2017, 10:20   #1718
BHPian

What kinda USB port does VIOFO A119 V2 come with - mini or micro USB? I have already ordered this dash cam from AliExpress, now I need a hard-wire kit, and I see there are options for both mini-USB & micro-USB.
Old 18th September 2017, 10:58   #1719
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubbi View Post
now I need a hard-wire kit, and I see there are options for both mini-USB & micro-USB.
Here is the link:

Original VIOFO 0801 A119 A119S A118 A118C A118C2 B40 Car Camera Hardwire Kit Mini USB Recorder
http://s.aliexpress.com/qYruiiYF
(from AliExpress Android)
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2017, 11:30   #1720
BHPian

Couldn't open this URL, but I assume you meant to say A119 V2 has mini-USB port
Old 18th September 2017, 11:53   #1721
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubbi View Post
Couldn't open this URL, but I assume you meant to say A119 V2 has mini-USB port
Apologies for posting the whole thing wrongly.

Here's the correct one:

https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/3280...ddresstype=600
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2017, 14:07   #1722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Has anyone used this hard wire kit from Spy Tec - https://goo.gl/V9WkhM? Any first-hand reviews? It claims to work with Viofo dash cams

Last edited by Shubbi : 18th September 2017 at 14:15. Reason: Added more info
Old 18th September 2017, 18:49   #1723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post

No the device has inbuilt WiFi module that connects with your phone and you can transfer and save videos through the app....no mobile data is required to connect through the dash cam through WiFi.
Thats nice to know
Do all wifi enabled dash cams transfer images without needing a mobile data enabled on the phone ?

I believe some older wifi dash cams need to be connected to a wifi hotspot on the phone (with mobile data on) or a home wifi.

How long does it take to transfer one 220mb clip from the cam to the phone?

It would have been even better if this cam had a capacitor instead of a built in battery, capacitor would have better heat resistance given our weather and the battery would start bulging sooner or later in the heat.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 18th September 2017 at 18:50.
Old 22nd September 2017, 23:36   #1724
Senior - BHPian

So the batteries on mine and few other friend's mini 0805 have died. Camera turns off immediately and date/time does not get stored.

I got a few new batteries for them and swapped the batteries.

Specimen undergoing the operation

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-01.jpg

Use a sharp tool and pry off the round cover. Its held on to the cam using 4 blobs of fevi quik.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-02.jpg

Take off the 4 philips screws and pull out the ribbed plastic portion. The GPS/mount ring will slide off. There will be a metal ball dont lose it!

Split the dash cam. I used a blade and ran thru the top edge; next to the power buttons and it snapped open cleanly.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-03.jpg

Battery will be held in place using double sided tape. Use gentle force and pull it out.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-04.jpg

Desolder the battery from the board, solder new battery terminals onto it. Make sure you note which is positive and negative, don't mix up the polarities!

New battery on top, old one below. Old battery was 330mAH, new one is 380mAH. Its a wee bit fatter but it will somehow fit into the dashcam.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-05.jpg

I used a bit of double sided tape to keep the battery in place, just like the old one.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-06.jpg

Now comes the hardest part - putting it all together. It took me 5 minutes to pull apart the dashcam and swap the battery but it took 30 minutes to put it back together! You have to use a bit of brute force to close the two halves, If you use a stock size battery it will be easier.

Once the two halves are together, replace the GPS Mount ring, put back the ball before pushing the ring all the way back in. Replace the power button ribbed thing, put back 4 screws. Fix the round trim using feviquik and you're done!

Finally the dashcam works without power! Yay!

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-07.jpg
SunnyBoi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2017, 00:05   #1725
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
So the batteries on mine and few other friend's mini 0805 have died. Camera turns off immediately and date/time does not get stored.
Mini 0806 that I have in my car has the same issue. It survives on its own battery for 10 seconds max.

It keeps throwing errors, takes time to boot up after engine is started etc. Thinking to get rid of it and buy something reliable with a capacitor.

Last edited by a4anurag : 23rd September 2017 at 00:08.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks