Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2017, 16:18   #1696
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Aliexpress has a big sale going on.

Ordered a Viofo A119 V2 with CPL + GPS and had wire kit for $98.
Hi Vid, Did you manage to get it for $98 after applying some coupons?

Could you please share the link?
Old 29th August 2017, 17:32   #1697
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Hi Vid, Did you manage to get it for $98 after applying some coupons?

Could you please share the link?
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...2995e5c0Xl8SB0

This was $90. I got this plus the hardwire kit:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro....7d847a7bQWths

The total was $103 on the desktop and $101.xx on the mobile app.

Got $2 store discount and $2 Aliexpress sale discount.

After the purchase I got an additional $5 off and ordered another dashcam:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DDPa...2995e5c0ps3Hu8
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 22:13   #1698
BHPian

A119S's windshield mount modified for a rear install. Applies to all wedge cameras with similar mounts.

For a rear install the adjustable lens on all wedge shaped dash cams can't be adjusted beyond the last click. What's needed is a lot more tilt.

Neodymium magnet + 20° ABS plastic wedge + A119S's angled mount.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-mt1.png

Did the same for my Mobius (C2), which now faces inwards from the rear.

Neodymium magnet + 15° ABS plastic wedge.

Stuck the wedge directly to the Mobius. The mounting bracket/sleeve was adding unnecessary bulk.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-mt2.png

The following pictures are from when I was using 3M VHB tape to stick the mounts to the bare metal surface.

Same concept but instead of using 3M VHB, I've switched to magnets.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-mt4.png

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-mt1-1.png

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-mt2-1.png

Coverage shot

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-vlcsnap2017083022h15m58s614.png

Link to a 3D printable wedge, tilt angle and dimensions are customisable - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:454639

Last edited by harsh79 : 30th August 2017 at 22:17.
harsh79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2017, 10:38   #1699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickdj View Post
Team
I have a few Qantas miles expiring this month and I wanted to buy a dashcam with them. As of now I have these options. Most of them are within my mile limit and some of them have additional 30-40AUD extra. A friend will ship them to me. Can someone suggest which one I should go for?
Options:
1- NAVMAN MiVue680
2- NAVMAN MiVue660
3- NAVMAN MiVue630
4- Garmin dash cam 45
5- Garmin dash cam 55
So I bought the Garmin 55 and it cost me only about 1500 INR! It was dispatched from Melbourne and reached Mumbai on the 27th. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any more movement on the package after that. It has not been delivered to me in Pune and I am not sure what's going on. Is it stuck in customs or something like that? Can experienced BHPers provide some insights whether this is normal delay? In case it is stuck in customs, what are the options available to me?
Thanks
Old 10th September 2017, 00:32   #1700
BHPian

Review: Xiaomi MiJia Car DVR

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-20170310_141918_003.jpg
Pic credit

After my previous post I decided against a dual channel DVR and was on the lookout for a front facing unit alone. While browsing Gearbest I came across the Xiaomi MiJia Car DVR. Now this a dash cam made only by Xiaomi without bringing Yi into the picture. This is a camera made only for the Chinese market and there is no global version. The entire camera UI is in Mandarin or Cantonese (dunno which one it is). But after reading and watching tons of reviews I bit the bullet. It costs $72.99 but it was on sale on Gearbest for $47.99(INR 3280 including paypal fees) with free shipping by India Express priority line. I ordered the dash cam on 29 August and received it on 9 September without any custom duty to be paid.

The Cam:

The reason I went for this unit is for its simplicity and the awesome Xiaomi build quality. It is available only in black colour. This is a WiFi dashcam, meaning you can use an app on your phone to download clips. It only records in 1080p Full HD at 30fps. You cannot change the quality or set the duration for loop recording or stop recording. If it turns on it keeps recording constantly. It has loop recording and each loop is 2 minutes long and about 220mb in size.

The dash cam has a Mediastar MSC8328P chip-set with a Sony IMX323 sensor. It has a 240mAh battery, no capacitor. It has a f/1.8 six glass element lens with a 160 degree field of view. There is only one physical button for power and to wake-up the screen. There are also four touch sensitive buttons.

The dash cam is pretty easy to setup, it can take a maximum of 64gb memory card. You need to format the memory card for the first time before using it. It comes with an adhesive mount, 2 electrostatic films, a spare two-side adhesive pad, a USB car charger, a pry tool to remove plastic trim and a super long micro USB cable.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_20170909_130908.jpg

To install the cam you first need to stick one of the electrostatic films to the windshield and then stick the mount on the guide lines printed on the film. It sticks very firmly.

Also below I have attached some images that have the translation of the Chinese menu for potential future buyers.

It was all taken from this source - PICTURE CREDITS

Hit the flag icon and it saves a minute of current footage and minute of previous footage as one file.
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-1.jpg

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-2.jpg

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-3.jpg

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-4.jpg

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-5.jpg

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-post8619901500958654.jpg

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-post8619901500958670.jpg

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-post8619901500958680.jpg

It separates the available space into a 80-20 split for emergency recording and current recording.
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-post8619901500958699.jpg

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-post8619901500958711.jpg

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-post8619901500958720.jpg

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-post8619901500958782.jpg

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-post8619901500958742.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These are the clips from a short drive after installation, the little vibrations in the video is because of the resonance in the windshield and also because of a cold 2.5 liter engine.

But overall I am super happy with the video quality, you can easily read out the registration number, I do feel there is a slight color variation, but am unable to spot frame drops. Will add night time footage soon. It records videos in .MOV format and the audio ADPMC format. Audio does not play unless you use VLC player or similar. Audio quality was crystal clear but because of this format it was not recognised on Youtube.

To access the video file through WiFi, download the MiHome app from your respective stores and the save the Car DVR as a WiFi device. You can get the password to pair from the menu shown above. Once done open the app and set the location to China otherwise it will not pair with the DVR easily. Now it will detect the DVR and will ask you to sign in or sign up with Mi do that and then it will start downloading the plugin for the DVR, at about 50% it will ask you to tap ok on the DVR, press the left side chinese option on the DVR and you should be able to access the app as below. Downloading the video clips is a breeze and takes about 15 seconds to download per 220-240mb file.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-screenshot_20170909180231121_com.xiaomi.smarthome.png

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-screenshot_20170909180154113_com.xiaomi.smarthome.png

That's it for now. Overall this a much better camera than my Blaupunkt BP2.0 and for the same price as what it retails for even now. Will update on this camera's durability as it ages more. This camera will definitely not appeal to people that like to tweak even the minutest setting. This is a fit it and forget it unit.

I am in no way affiliated to Xiaomi, just felt it is a good cam for the first time buyer.

Last edited by Shanksta : 10th September 2017 at 00:57.
Shanksta is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 01:48   #1701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Received the dashcam, have installed it temporarily for now. Have ordered the hardwired kit, should receive it this week, will install it properly then.
Initial impressions are very good, very clear and stable picture. It has got many plethora of features, like fatigue alert, lane departure alert, GPS, headlight alert, forward collision warning system, got a good deal I guess.

I paid 8900 and package includes 16gb card, definitely worth

Hi where did you buy it from. Amazon is showing almost 15k price. How is night video please share both daytime and night video.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 11th September 2017 at 02:02. Reason: fixing the quote tags
Old 13th September 2017, 11:04   #1702
Distinguished - BHPian

Installed Viofo A119 in my Sunny, along with hard wiring. Details and more snaps available in the below thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post4268946

Mr.Boss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 12:31   #1703
BHPian

Hello,

I have a few questions regarding this device sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
Review: Xiaomi MiJia Car DVR

The reason I went for this unit is for its simplicity and the awesome Xiaomi build quality. It is available only in black colour. This is a WiFi dashcam, meaning you can use an app on your phone to download clips. It only records in 1080p Full HD at 30fps. You cannot change the quality or set the duration for loop recording or stop recording. If it turns on it keeps recording constantly. It has loop recording and each loop is 2 minutes long and about 220mb in size.
Only 2 minutes loop seems very short, pardon my ignorance but does it over write the loop or does it keep saving videos in 2 min duration's in different videos. If so then does it save on a memory card or only on cloud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
To access the video file through WiFi, download the MiHome app from your respective stores and the save the Car DVR as a WiFi device. You can get the password to pair from the menu shown above. Once done open the app and set the location to China otherwise it will not pair with the DVR easily. Now it will detect the DVR and will ask you to sign in or sign up with Mi do that and then it will start downloading the plugin for the DVR, at about 50% it will ask you to tap ok on the DVR, press the left side chinese option on the DVR and you should be able to access the app as below. Downloading the video clips is a breeze and takes about 15 seconds to download per 220-240mb file.
To access this do you have to install a wifi receiver in the car ? (I am really new to this hence asking)
Old 14th September 2017, 13:40   #1704
BHPian

Hello BHPians,

Has anyone tried TripCAm Pro (https://thewhateverworld.com/product...=37331128385)? Getting a lot of ads about the same on FB so was wondering if there was any credibility to the claims...
Old 14th September 2017, 13:47   #1705
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
Only 2 minutes loop seems very short, pardon my ignorance but does it over write the loop or does it keep saving videos in 2 min duration's in different videos. If so then does it save on a memory card or only on cloud.
IMO 2 mins loop is widely used.
I hope this should answer your query on loop http://www.carcamwarehouse.com/camer...recording.html

All videos are saved on the memory card only (no cloud storage)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
To access this do you have to install a wifi receiver in the car ? (I am really new to this hence asking)
No. Camera has inbuilt wifi and you can pair the same with your smartphone and transfer files through dedicated app / plug-in
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 14:56   #1706
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Aliexpress has a big sale going on.
Looks like the Aliexpress sale is still on.
Got the 0801 Mini DVR and installed it on my wife's Astar. Comes with a one year warranty.

Order and Delivery process with Aliexpress -

22.07.2017 - Ordered and paid through net banking
25.07.2017 - Package dispatched from China
03.08.2017 - Package arrives at Chennai Airport
22.08.2017 - Package delivered home by India Post. Paid Rs 565/ as duty.

From 3rd to 22nd the package was retained at Chennai Customs with 'Retained by customs for unspecified reason' mentioned on the tracking information. Sent them a mail asking them what was the unspecific reason. No reply, but the package was released.

Did not get the 'Hard wire kit', but got it hard wired using a 12 V car cigarette lighter socket , to turn on with the ignition, and concealed the socket and wires behind the dashboard, near the fuse box. No wires visible out side except for an inch on top, between the camera and the roof lining

Costs incurred -
0801 Dash camera - Rs 4133/ (including a 16GB SD card)
Customs duty - Rs 565/
Lighter socket - Rs 275/
Labour at FNG - Rs 150/

Picture quality is 'so so', and definitely not in par with the quality of the Transcend DP200 that I have on my TUV.
Audio recording carries a lot of disturbances when the FM is on. I think it has something to do with the radio waves and the built in GPS. When the FM is turned off, this additional noise vanishes. Anyways it is not a reason to return the unit.
I like the size of the camera, and can be fitted very discretely behind the IRVM.

Day time
Day time quality is quite good, but the camera takes time to adjust when you move from the 'bright' to the 'not so bright' conditions.

Night time
At night, the picture carries too much grain, and also the headlight of the on coming vehicles get more pronounced.

All in all, not many a reason to complain for the amount, but I would say it is well worth the Rs 5000/ odd spent.
CAPTAIN REX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 15:41   #1707
Senior - BHPian

I have powered the camera using the 12V port, and the camera keeps ON even when car is OFF, so it eats up battery. Only choice I have is to remove the charger from the 12v socket. Any way to automate this? I have Viofo 119S
Old 14th September 2017, 16:00   #1708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
I have powered the camera using the 12V port, and the camera keeps ON even when car is OFF, so it eats up battery. Only choice I have is to remove the charger from the 12v socket. Any way to automate this? I have Viofo 119S
Sorry, don't know the answer to your question but I am curious how do you handle the wiring by having it connected to the car charging socket? Is it routed from behind the dash or the wires lie loose, dangling in front of the car headunit? Would appreciate if you can share some pics of your installation.
Old 14th September 2017, 16:05   #1709
Senior - BHPian

I got it installed from FNG. The wires are hidden in the roof carpetting, and a USB plug pops out from near the 12V charger. The camera gets the electricity from a USB charger that gets plugged in the 12V charging point. Can post the pics, but I think description too is self explanatory.

So I have to remove this USB charger in order to disconnect the camera, else it will eat up the battery by continuously feeding on the 12V socket.
Old 14th September 2017, 16:17   #1710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
I got it installed from FNG. The wires are hidden in the roof carpetting, and a USB plug pops out from near the 12V charger. The camera gets the electricity from a USB charger that gets plugged in the 12V charging point. Can post the pics, but I think description too is self explanatory.

So I have to remove this USB charger in order to disconnect the camera, else it will eat up the battery by continuously feeding on the 12V socket.
Any particular reason you did not opt for hardwiring? I believe your this problem will also be solved if you went that route?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...r-dashcam.html
pathik is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks