Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2015, 17:36   #196
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

I am planning to buy a Dash cam and I am totally confused as to which one to buy. After analyzing this thread these are my observations.

The most popular ones seem to be :
- Mini 0805
- SJCAM Sj4000(wifi)
- Transcend DrivePro
- A118

I have also found another one called the G-1W which is quite popular in Google search. Now my budget is around the $65-$75 mark, so that rules out the DP and SJCAM. The G1W seems to have a weak link between the mount and camera body. So I wanna know whether to buy the Mini 0805 or the A118? Also I am planning to buy the cam from Gearbest. Is it advisable? and what would be the customs charges in Chennai?
help me?
Thank you in advance!!
Old 13th June 2015, 10:06   #197
BHPian

Can anyone please confirm if the car windscreen suction mount comes with SJ 4000 wifi or has to be purchased separately? I don't see it included in package details at DX.com.
Old 13th June 2015, 10:12   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwarkaDelhiWala View Post
Can anyone please confirm if the car windscreen suction mount comes with SJ 4000 wifi or has to be purchased separately? I don't see it included in package details at DX.com.
You will have to buy it separately. The car mount package comes with a suction cup mount and a cigarette lighter cable with an extra looooooong cable
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 10:36   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
You will have to buy it separately. The car mount package comes with a suction cup mount and a cigarette lighter cable with an extra looooooong cable
Any recommendations for a sturdy suction cup mount? There seems to be umlimited brands and types. Thanks in advance.
Old 13th July 2015, 11:33   #200
adu
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Finally, I received my Mini 0805 I connected to my car it worked fine, but I have booked a new car and once I get the delivery will install it and test how it works. Will keep this thread updated.

Thanks Shashank for you support
fusionbang, have you successfully concealed the cable for the camera in your XUV? If so, would appreciate some tips and if possible pictures of how you have managed it.
Old 13th July 2015, 12:08   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adu View Post
fusionbang, have you successfully concealed the cable for the camera in your XUV? If so, would appreciate some tips and if possible pictures of how you have managed it.
Hi Adu, I am yet to do it as I din't get time for the same. Will try to do it this weekend and will definitely let you know on the same.
Old 13th July 2015, 12:11   #202
adu
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Adu, I am yet to do it as I din't get time for the same. Will try to do it this weekend and will definitely let you know on the same.
Thanks fusionbang, I am reviewing some online videos to get an idea but knowing the XUV, can't say what challenges will be encountered . Anyways, will have a go and keep you updated too on how things pan out.
Old 13th July 2015, 12:30   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The standard approach is to:
  1. Bring the mini-USB end of the wire to the IRVM
  2. Route the wire above the headliner (you can separate the headliner from the windshield using a flat plastic item, like the handle end of a plastic spoon, an old credit card, etc) until the A-pillar.
  3. The A-pillar trim can also likewise be pulled away to route the wire. The Transcend DrivePro manual recommends routing it between the A-pillar trim and windshield, and then running it across the dashboard to reach the gap between dashboard and door (see below picture).
  4. The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-cvr-wire-routing.jpg
  5. However several sources on the internet prefer routing it across the top of the A-pillar trim until you reach the door beading, and hiding the wire behind the door beading. Many have found this approach to be easier to do and cleaner (and the nice thing is that there's usually adequate space behind the door beading).
  6. Then, once you've brought the wire beneath the dashboard, it will depend on the vehicle how you route it to the cigarette lighter. Ensure that your cigarette lighter is not always powered on (if so, you'll need to wire the dashcam to your fuse box).
arunphilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2015, 14:03   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
The standard approach
Thank you arunphilip for this steps and my only concern is the A-pillar is having airbags hence I am worried if I pull the A-pillar casing, will it affect the airbag. That's the reason I am planning to get it done via dealer. Will get it done very soon.
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2015, 16:05   #205
adu
BHPian

Mod note: Back to back posts, use Multi Quote [Quote +] instead. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
The standard approach is to:
======Ensure that your cigarette lighter is not always powered on (if so, you'll need to wire the dashcam to your fuse box).[/list]
Arun, thanks for the detailed instructions. As you have mentioned, drawing the cable across the dash would be more difficult as compared to taking it along the door panel which has a softer beading that can be negotiated easily.

Quote:
Thank you arunphilip for this steps and my only concern is the A-pillar is having airbags hence I am worried if I pull the A-pillar casing, will it affect the airbag. That's the reason I am planning to get it done via dealer. Will get it done very soon.
fusionbang, the air bags in the A-pillar should not be affected by this small cable as you are just tucking it into the corners. However, my knowledge could be limited and I look forward to inputs regarding this as I plan to DIY it sometime this evening if time permits.

Last edited by Jaggu : 13th July 2015 at 16:28. Reason: Back to back posts, use Multi Quote [Quote +] instead. Thanks.
adu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 16:06   #206
adu
BHPian

Managed a DIY concealed cable install of my Transcend DrivePro 100 dash camera in my XUV. Am attaching some pictures to give an idea. Apologies for the image quality as the vehicle was parked in my garage.

Have indicated how I have taken the cable along the front of the roof till the A-pillar with a badly drawn red line. This was easy since the roof padding is fairly soft and I was able to push the cable in quite easily. However, do not exert too much force as this could bend the roof padding and warp it. From there I found it easier to take it through the far side (left side as you face the windscreen) of the A-pillar casing as this would enable me to take the cable neatly down the passenger door beading without having to struggle for gaps in the dash area. Here the A-pillar casing is a bit snug and you need to make some space to push the cable in. I found using a good old fashioned plastic shoe horn helped me gently make room for the cable all along the A-pillar. Given the curve shape of the shoe horn, it assisted with neatly lifting the padding to just provide enough space for the cable.

From there it was again not too much of an effort to slightly open up the door beading all the way down with just my fingers. Do keep in mind that the beading should not be forced open, rather gently so as to ensure it does not tear. Once the cable was at the level of the lower end of the bottom dash storage unit, I brought the cable from under the dash towards the waterfall console. You will need to use a flashlight to identify the place under the dash where you want the cable to be pulled as there are a couple of small objects that you can use to ensure the cable does not drop down. Once this is done, the only place where the cable will now show is when you need it to come out from under the dash to connect the the charging socket. Here I have just pulled it along the wall of the waterfall console and managed to hold the cable with 2 small pieces of Blu-Tack. This may be only a temporary setup as I feel the Blu-Tack may not be able to hold the cable during bumpy drives. Need to think what I can do here in terms of a permanent solution as I do not want to use the electrical tapes which tend to melt with heat. Am open to ideas here.

Overall it took me about 30-40 minutes and the camera is working fine.
Attached Thumbnails
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_0168.jpg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_0169.jpg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_0170.jpg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_0171.jpg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_0172.jpg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_0173.jpg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_0175.jpg  

adu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 17:10   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Thinking of getting the DrivePro 100, it is available on amazon.in for Rs.8,575.

1) One concern for me is the car charger socket, since only one is available on the Civic and I use it for charging my smart-phone continuously when using the gps.

I have a dashcam bought from aliexpress GW1-C for about $45. I recommend it highly for the quality of video. I too have many chargers and adapters in car and have been using the car charger splitter shown below in my civic. It also has a USB port which can be used to charge phones/tablets.

http://www.amazon.in/Unique-Gadget-Cigarette-Lighter-Splitter/dp/B00KXPZ0CU/

Here is a sample video taken using my dashcam.
vasoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 19:22   #208
adu
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
I too have many chargers and adapters in car and have been using the car charger splitter shown below in my civic. It also has a USB port which can be used to charge phones/tablets.

http://www.amazon.in/Unique-Gadget-C...dp/B00KXPZ0CU/
Vasoo, how reliable is the car charger splitter that you have? Given the electricals in the XUV, want to be sure the product is reliable and there is no short circuit or blowing of the fuse that occurs.
Old 14th July 2015, 19:48   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Vasoo, how reliable is the car charger splitter that you have? Given the electricals in the XUV, want to be sure the product is reliable and there is no short circuit or blowing of the fuse that occurs.
Mine is about 6 months old and is working fine so far with all ports occupied by various devices. Technically, I don't see any complexity inside as it is a simple splitter along with a 5v USB port.
Old 14th July 2015, 19:48   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Managed a DIY concealed cable install of my Transcend DrivePro 100 dash camera in my XUV. Am attaching some pictures to give an idea. Apologies for the image quality as the vehicle was parked in my garage.
Thanks adu for the detailed steps. But will it not look bad with the wire on the centre water console dangling around? I am planning to visit the service center this friday to get this done from them. I will talk to my SA tomorrow. Will keep you updated.

Quote:
Why are you looking for the car splitter in XUV? it already has 3 charging points. I understand the 3rd row point cannot be used when you are driving alone. But you can use the 2nd row point to connect a charger and charge your phone. It can reach your cup holders in the front.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks