Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2015, 20:33   #316
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

I wish there was a dashcam available on with the following features:

1. The lens unit and recording unit should be seperate to make the cam as small and discreet as possible. Having a huge suction cup (which can fail faster in our hot weather) would make the cam appear so bulky hanging off the windshield and attracting unwanted attention for eg: when parked.

2. The lens unit would be fixed on the windshield with a wire going to the recording unit (in the glove box), the bulk of the camera (DVR) would be in the glove box, the other advantage is protection for the DVR from direct sunlight in a hot country like ours.

3. The lens unit should be fixed on an adhesive mount on the windshield or behind the rear view mirror

Spy Tec K1S Dual Car Dash Camera has the above features but hope such models become more common and cost-effective in future.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 24th August 2015 at 20:41.
Old 24th August 2015, 21:23   #317

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Few of my friends have already complained of the falling dashcam holder. Even when the suction is on the glass, the holder gives away after 10 mins of installing. A slightly rough drive over the speed breaker or on the potholes makes the unit lose its suction and fall off. Most of my friends have returned the unit back to Snap deal.
Suction cup gave up overnight for me (open parking), and again during the day (underground parking)! In both cases, my vehicle wasnt even moving - it was parked for long hours!
I dont want to return this! Would like to find other ways to stick it!
Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Old 24th August 2015, 21:49   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkbv View Post
Suction cup gave up overnight for me (open parking), and again during the day (underground parking)! In both cases, my vehicle wasnt even moving - it was parked for long hours!
Clean the surface area of the glass where you will attaching the cup with a soft cloth before fitting it and see if it helps. My camera would fall down if i did not clean the glass while attaching the camera to the windshield.

Good Luck.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 22:22   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkbv View Post
I cleaned and fixed the dashcam before I started my drive to m'lore from B'lore. It has been holding up well till now.

Did u conceal the wires of your dashcam? I realized that the weight of the wires was pulling it down before I concealed the wire. Now the only weight the suction cup has to bear is the cam weight. Have driven car through some real bad roads here in m'lore and no issues. Need to check how long it holds.

I was thinking if the suction cup fails, will buy a 3M double sided tape and fix it in the middle of cup. Might work.
Old 25th August 2015, 06:46   #320

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Clean the surface area of the glass where you will attaching the cup with a soft cloth before fitting it and see if it helps. My camera would fall down if i did not clean the glass while attaching the camera to the windshield.

Good Luck.
Will try cleaning surface / suction cup. My daughter thinks (and I remember reading somewhere too) that adding a few drops of water may help.
This seems to be a case of suction cup unable to hold its own weight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
I cleaned and fixed the dashcam before I started my drive to m'lore from B'lore. It has been holding up well till now.

Did u conceal the wires of your dashcam? I realized that the weight of the wires was pulling it down before I concealed the wire. Now the only weight the suction cup has to bear is the cam weight. Have driven car through some real bad roads here in m'lore and no issues. Need to check how long it holds.

I was thinking if the suction cup fails, will buy a 3M double sided tape and fix it in the middle of cup. Might work.
I tucked the wires into the gaps between glass and roof, near A pillar, into the glove compartments. I'm confident it wasnt the weight of the wires that pulled it down.
The photo that shows camera - I chose the angle to highlight that Blaupunkt camera isnt highly visible from outside (in my XUV 500) unless you really look for it.

The fact that I tucked in the wires behind the SRS Airbag marking on left side A Pillar - hope it doesnt cause any problems. I didnt use force. There was a gap anyway
Attached Thumbnails
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-wp_20150823_003.jpg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-wp_20150823_005.jpg  

Last edited by khan_sultan : 25th August 2015 at 07:26. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use multi-quote feature
Old 25th August 2015, 09:49   #321
BHPian

Guys, dont leave the wires so carelessly esp those which are exposed to sun or touching the roof or other parts of the body. Secure them using proper stick-on wire tags and insulate (heat) them to prevent any short circuits.

@for_cars1, You can install extended lens module in mobius cameras.
::CMS:: is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 00:57   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post

@for_cars1, You can install extended lens module in mobius cameras.
That looks like a good option, but wouldn't that be more of a DIY job? Also the length of the camera extension wire looks short, so the recording module can't be placed far enough (like in the glovebox) from the lens module.

I wonder why those spy cams that we keep seeing in movies are so inaccessible. It shouldn't be that difficult for manufacturers to provide button sized dash cams that can be pinned/fixed anywhere on the car that can do its job of recording well enough( at 720 or 1080p). These shouldn't be limited to movies alone

Last edited by for_cars1 : 26th August 2015 at 01:04.
Old 26th August 2015, 08:57   #323
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
I wonder why those spy cams that we keep seeing in movies are so inaccessible. It shouldn't be that difficult for manufacturers to provide button sized dash cams that can be pinned/fixed anywhere on the car that can do its job of recording well enough( at 720 or 1080p). These shouldn't be limited to movies alone
Just browse ebay and you get all sorts of cameras that you want. one of those can easily be used as a dashcam.
4 years ago, when I was in Bangkok for vacation, I went to a mall selling electronic goods and one floor was completely filled with spying articles.
I guess now they would be selling more advanced gadgets than even James Bond has got.
Old 26th August 2015, 10:43   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Drive View Post
The price of the Blaupunkt 2.0 dashcam have been increased and now it's Rs 4690 / on Snapdeal. This model lost it's VFM tag and hope they revise back to their old price.
Amazon.in is offering the Blaupunkt DVR 20 same at Rs. 3,990/-. Is it the same as the 2.0 Dash Cam?
Old 26th August 2015, 10:59   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post
Amazon.in is offering the Blaupunkt DVR 20 same at Rs. 3,990/-. Is it the same as the 2.0 Dash Cam?
If you had meant this link from Amazon, it's the same model as sold in Snapdeal. If you are not in the urgency to buy a dashcam, I suggest you to wait for the prices to come down as our members got it for less than Rs 2000 / .
Grand Drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 11:26   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
Did you get this finally? How much was the landed price? Does this allow to download video to mobile?
Old 26th August 2015, 11:29   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Drive View Post
If you had meant this link from Amazon, it's the same model as sold in Snapdeal. If you are not in the urgency to buy a dashcam, I suggest you to wait for the prices to come down as our members got it for less than Rs 2000 / .
Yes, its the same link. I am in no particular hurry. If any of you are using it, please let me have your feedback on the product. Thanks in advance.
Old 26th August 2015, 11:36   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post
If any of you are using it, please let me have your feedback on the product. Thanks in advance.
Please browse from this link and you can read lot of feedback and videos from our members for this dash cam.
Old 26th August 2015, 20:27   #329
BHPian

The Blaupunkt BP 2.0 FHD Digital Video Recorder on Snapdeal was showing available for RS 2600/- . When I clicked add to cart it went back to 4640. Was to slow, will keep waiting. At RS 2600/- I think it is a good deal thanks to all those who have uploaded the videos.
Old 27th August 2015, 18:12   #330
BHPian

I checked again today for the Blaupunkt BP 2.0 FHD Digital Video Recorder on Snapdeal. It was at Rs 2600/- , I quickly hit buy and COD. Should reach by 30 Aug to 3rd Sept. Now need to source a 32 GB card.
yajaman99 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks