Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2015, 13:33   #361
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Yes battery issues too,most Mini series cams suffer from poor reliability so its a gamble.

The only good thing is I've read the recent batches are better reliability wise so considering a Mini since others are poor video wise or very expensive.
Any particular reason why you need GPS. IMO it is a more risky for yourself . Say you met with an accident (God forbid)and show the proof as video . But if the GPS speed shows up even a bit higher than the speed limit of that road then the tables will be turned on you and the whole thing will be nullified and the blame will be on you since you exceeded the limit! I feel its more of a bane than a boon.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 15:21   #362
BHPian

yes but what if shashank.nk is a law abiding citizen and wants to prove that he wasn't exceeding the limit.
Old 2nd September 2015, 16:27   #363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I feel its more of a bane than a boon.
Its more a boon for me. I used to think like you did about GPS until I got a dashcam with one.

It helps me keep tab on drivers at home, when nobody's in the car (usually when coming to pick us or after dropping us off) I've seen instances of overspeeding, violating traffic rules, taking detours for personal work and the likes with some drivers.

A Dashcam with GPS gives me route details, time of violation and any other detail I may need so that I can warn/dismiss them.

On the highways,I usually don't drive too fast and with most camera's you can disable speed stamp if you wish to; this was possible with Mini 0805 and the DP 220.

EDIT: Anybody using the Garmin Dashcam 20 here ?

Last edited by shashank.nk : 2nd September 2015 at 16:32.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 09:34   #364
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
yes but what if shashank.nk is a law abiding citizen and wants to prove that he wasn't exceeding the limit.

I am talking about the worst case scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Its more a boon for me. I used to think like you did about GPS until I got a dashcam with one.

It helps me keep tab on drivers at home, when nobody's in the car (usually when coming to pick us or after dropping us off) I've seen instances of overspeeding, violating traffic rules, taking detours for personal work and the likes with some drivers.

A Dashcam with GPS gives me route details, time of violation and any other detail I may need so that I can warn/dismiss them.

On the highways,I usually don't drive too fast and with most camera's you can disable speed stamp if you wish to; this was possible with Mini 0805 and the DP 220.

EDIT: Anybody using the Garmin Dashcam 20 here ?
Yea, if your requirement is that, then it makes sense.
Old 3rd September 2015, 14:30   #365
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any particular reason why you need GPS. IMO it is a more risky for yourself . Say you met with an accident (God forbid)and show the proof as video . But if the GPS speed shows up even a bit higher than the speed limit of that road then the tables will be turned on you and the whole thing will be nullified and the blame will be on you since you exceeded the limit! I feel its more of a bane than a boon.
Its this logic which people have and sport Regional fonts or stylish non readable fonts on the rear registration plates so that they have a better chance of not getting caught in case of a mishap.

But if you imagine, a person having a GPS enabled device will be more mindful of what he/she himself/herself is doing before pointing fingers at others. This IMO is better for the overall traffic condition. The more the people with such devices, the better it is for everybody isn't it?

Quote:
I am talking about the worst case scenario.
You certainly are thinking about a worstcase scenario but how you are thinking of dealing with that is not an ideal one

In the scenario you are talking, If you can prove that the reason of the accident is not you, but agree on overspeeding, you may be fined for it but you may not get a bigger punishment!
Old 3rd September 2015, 15:00   #366
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Its this logic which people have and sport Regional fonts or stylish non readable fonts on the rear registration plates so that they have a better chance of not getting caught in case of a mishap.
Not an appropriate analogy.

Quote:
But if you imagine, a person having a GPS enabled device will be more mindful of what he/she himself/herself is doing before pointing fingers at others. This IMO is better for the overall traffic condition. The more the people with such devices, the better it is for everybody isn't it?
Agreed.

Quote:
You certainly are thinking about a worstcase scenario but how you are thinking of dealing with that is not an ideal one

In the scenario you are talking, If you can prove that the reason of the accident is not you, but agree on overspeeding, you may be fined for it but you may not get a bigger punishment!
Problem is this is kind of reasoning will not work in our court of law. There does not exist a margin of error over the speed limit like it exists in other countries where one will not be fined. So here if you are doing 81kmph in a 80 kmph zone you have broken the law. You may have experienced this with interceptors in Bangalore.

Also there is always a plausible argument that if you are doing 85 in a 80 zone, you did not have enough reaction time/ braking distance to stop causing an accident. Also can go further and claim that the driver was drowsy which made him press the accelerator unknowingly and was not alert enough to react to the person crossing the road blah blah .These kind of arguments are made in our courts.

Do not get me wrong, i am not telling that one over speed with dash cam and in case of accident one can escape irrespective of the speed if the other party is at fault. It is just the narrow minded legal system here which is not yet warmed up to such scenarios and evidences that made me put that statement. I for one would not buy/disable the GPS based system even though i drive safe. Exactly because of the worst case scenario.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 3rd September 2015 at 15:04.
Old 3rd September 2015, 16:13   #367
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Not an appropriate analogy...Exactly because of the worst case scenario.
I'm talking of a perfect ideal world situation where as you are thinking about the worst of worst. So its impossible that that our points match. The real world is somewhere in between the two.
So lets not make this discussion into an argument. Allow me to use one of the most used phrases on this forum - "Let's Agree to Disagree"

Coming back to the topic of Discussion, I was further exploring my new DOD LS400W Dash cam and couple of good features that I observed

1. There is a 'display rotation' option which will rotate the entire display by 180 degrees. Hopefully this will help when the camera is mounted on the dashboard instead of the wind shield. Its also useful If I use this on my 2-wheeler

2. Initially I had used it ins 1080p (30fps). Then I changed it to 720p (30fps).
The 5 minute Video size reduced from 560MB to 270MB. However when I saw the video on my PC, number plates were not that legible. So I changed it to 720p 60fps (60fps is only available in 720p resolution).
Even that did not improve the clarity of the number plates by much. So now I've switched back to 1080p

Another update:
Although the suction cup has not fallen down even once nor does it shake, however, I've ordered a 3M Adhesive Mount Holder Bracket For Dashcam from the USA ebay website to a relative of mine there. He will bring it for me by this week end. Will update the experience later; I have given the link to the item for now
http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Stock-3M-...E:L:OU:IN:3160
Old 5th September 2015, 09:19   #368
Distinguished - BHPian

A strange incident captured on my dashcam yesterday evening.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3795134
Looks like a scene from some horror movie
Old 5th September 2015, 10:07   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanmd View Post
And so, the Blaupunkth has become 4300/- :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
Been at those prices for over a week. Fellow BHPians spread the word at 2K and the seller ran out of pieces for the rate looks like 😊. Also awaiting a price drop,meanwhile if urgent available on amazon for 3999/-.
Blaupunkt is back at 2600/- on Snapdeal. Just ordered one
gk01 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2015, 10:21   #370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk01 View Post
I thought of picking up two for the Jazz this morning. One for the front and one for the rear.

I then watched some videos on YouTube to gauge how the quality might be. I was quite disappointed.

It is impossible to make out registration plates until the vehicle is very close, and this is during the day. Forget about any registration plates at night. The exposure seems too high. Allowing too much light to enter the camera.
Old 5th September 2015, 10:39   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk01 View Post

Awesome congrats on your new dashcam. Do post up a few videos with quality details.
Old 5th September 2015, 12:00   #372
BHPian

Am planning to try and convert some high quality 720p webcams that I have lying unused as dashcams. Has anyone attempted? Also why cannot a phone camera be used as a dashcam with some app?
Old 5th September 2015, 12:26   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Also why cannot a phone camera be used as a dashcam with some app?
Definitely !

I use my old Android for the Dashcam purpose where I posted my experience earlier in the thread!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...ml#post3767447

While this is a frugal way of getting the things done, one has to
1. Monitor the phone's charging
2. Get used to hanging wires
3. Switch on/off the phone at the start/end of the drive [ may be avoided for short stops] while the app itself can be set to automatically stop when charging is switched off

{Rooted androids have a ease of use for these kinds of purposes}

They are quite many apps in the market but I found DAILYROADS VOYAGER to be appropriate where the video quality seemed better than the one I uploaded [I used the Autoguard app] and also the shudders can be taken care of using a good quality mobile holder !

Last edited by poised2drive : 5th September 2015 at 12:53.
poised2drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2015, 15:22   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
Definitely !
I use my old Android for the Dashcam purpose where I posted my experience earlier in the
Thanks I was considering this only because the quality of the lens and camera is better than the dashcams in the 1000-2000 range.
Old 6th September 2015, 00:50   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
I thought of picking up two for the Jazz this morning. One for the front and one for the rear.

I then watched some videos on YouTube to gauge how the quality might be. I was quite disappointed.

It is impossible to make out registration plates until the vehicle is very close, and this is during the day. Forget about any registration plates at night. The exposure seems too high. Allowing too much light to enter the camera.
I noticed that quality of video drops after uploading to youtube. The video looks clear locally, whereas it is grainy after uploading.

Here is an accident I captured on BP dashcam.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks