Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2017, 15:52   #1606
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Hi,

I am planning to get this from Switzerland.

http://www.braun-phototechnik.eu/en/...VR-SYSTEM.html

Is anyone using this here, for a landing price of around 6000, it seems like a fair deal.
A suggestion on your purhase: if you're buying this product from a physical store in Switzerland, you can ask them to give you a form for VAT refund. You can then submit this form at the Customs office in your port of exit airport and claim the VAT you've paid on it.

It takes about 5-10min for the whole process and you can even ask them to refund the VAT on the credit card you used to pay for the product.

I'm not sure how this works if you buy something online but there should be a way.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 15:55   #1607
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
A suggestion on your purhase: if you're buying this product from a physical store in Switzerland, you can ask them to give you a form for VAT refund. You can then submit this form at the Customs office in your port of exit airport and claim the VAT you've paid on it.

It takes about 5-10min for the whole process and you can even ask them to refund the VAT on the credit card you used to pay for the product.

I'm not sure how this works if you buy something online but there should be a way.
Thanks for your inputs, i am aware of the VAT refund, been doing that for quite sometime. That said you have to buy a minimum amount of products for being eligible. In Switzerland it is minimum 300 CHF spend same day, and in same store
AtheK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 19:56   #1608
BHPian

It's raining dash cams for me. I had a requirement of 2 dash cams, one for windscreen of my XUV and another for the Wagon R. Was looking for cheap options for both, as Wagon R is essentially a city beater. I currently have a mini dash cam 0826 with the GPS unit on the front windscreen of my XUV.

After reading through the suggestions of members here, and looking up reviews, I narrowed down on the following:

1. G1W-CB for the rear windscreen of the XUV. Ordered from Gearbest for ˜$30, and I must say, the resolution is amazing! The key now is to test how long it will last. A sample video can be viewed here (please watch in full screen):

The only negative is that is not very discreet. Plus I am still trying to figure out a nice angle. Not sure if the suction mount will damage the demisting lines on the rear windscreen:
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-dsc_1133-copy.jpg

2. Viofo A119 V2 with a hard-wiring kit, GPS and also a replacement CPL for my mini dash cam 0826. The reason I chose the A119V2 over the one with the Sony sensor is that this gives me a wider angle of coverage as compared to the one with the Sony sensor.

Planning to fix this on the front windscreen of my XUV, and shift the mini 0826 to the Wagon R. The mini 0826 as a angle of coverage of only 136 degrees, and I was itching to get something else for the XUV.

The parcel got delivered (from aliexpress) last week, but did not get the time to open it and inspect it closely until today. What is very interesting is that the GPS mount allows me to set my timezone as GMT +5.5 unlike in mini 0826 where we can set it in increments of only 1.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-dsc_1068.jpg

One immediate challenge that confronts me is, how do I safely remove the GPS mount of my 0826 from the windscreen? The 3M tape is stuck very firmly and I am afraid of damaging either the GPS unit of the 0826 or the windscreen itself. Any tips?

Last edited by ajayclicks : 5th July 2017 at 19:57.
ajayclicks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 20:24   #1609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post

One immediate challenge that confronts me is, how do I safely remove the GPS mount of my 0826 from the windscreen? The 3M tape is stuck very firmly and I am afraid of damaging either the GPS unit of the 0826 or the windscreen itself. Any tips?
You need a string to saw through the glue. If you can't find a suitable string, try wedging a plastic card from one side and work your way in. The string method is easier.

harsh79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 21:18   #1610
BHPian

Quote:
Planning to fix this on the front windscreen of my XUV, and shift the mini 0826 to the Wagon R. The mini 0826 as a angle of coverage of only 136 degrees, and I was itching to get something else for the XUV.
Congratulations on the purchase. Have purchased the same and received item this Monday. Not planning on DIY as I do not have the right tools now and no patience to order and wait as well Do you have some known store in mind for neat installation?
Old 5th July 2017, 22:48   #1611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryendu87 View Post
Congratulations on the purchase. Have purchased the same and received item this Monday. Not planning on DIY as I do not have the right tools now and no patience to order and wait as well Do you have some known store in mind for neat installation?
Sticking the dashcam to the windscreen and plugging the cord into the 12V cigarette lighter is a 2 min job that anyone can do. As far as hardwiring for my XUV is concerned, I plan to go to a specific person of an A.S.S. who has done the same for a few other members here.
ajayclicks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 23:40   #1612
BHPian

Quote:
Sticking the dashcam to the windscreen and plugging the cord into the 12V cigarette lighter is a 2 min job that anyone can do. As far as hardwiring for my XUV is concerned, I plan to go to a specific person of an A.S.S. who has done the same for a few other members here.
Yes, I was querying about the hardwiring part. Thanks..
Old 5th July 2017, 23:49   #1613
BHPian

Quote:
Crimping or soldering the fuse-tap to the hardwire kit, I don't think A.S.S would do that. Hope they haven't wrapped the hardwire kit's wire around a fuse leg for other members? Or have they tapped power using some other splice technique?
Old 5th July 2017, 23:53   #1614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh79 View Post
Crimping or soldering the fuse-tap to the hardwire kit, I don't think A.S.S would do that. Hope they haven't wrapped the hardwire kit's wire around a fuse leg for other members? Or have they tapped power using some other splice technique?
I do not know how they have done it in other members cars. Should be meeting one of them over the weekend, will check.
Old 6th July 2017, 11:03   #1615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
Initial impressions:
- Quality is good for the size
- GPS works well (using a free software Dashcam viewer)
- Colors at day time is good without filters. With filters, it looks little dull.
- Without Filter, Night time it is very glaring (due to high beam and other bright lights). I am yet to try with Filter for the night time.
I missed to remove the plastic protection film from the CPL (Viofo A119S) and that was the reason for getting a dull picture in my earlier videos. Below are the two videos with CPL filter. The audio recording volume is bit low, it is hard to listen to any conversation inside car.

The video quality of both day and night are good. A very good buy and highly recommended. Still keeping the camera in the dash, will do the installation mostly this week end.

r_devakumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2017, 17:33   #1616
BHPian

Guys, Not sure if this was posted earlier but recently I started seeing a lot of "Memory Error" and "Please format your card" errors in my Viofo A119.

I formatted the card umpteen times but the error is back in less than 10 minutes. On quick search in Viofo forums, it appears to be an issue with the memory card. I am using a Sandisk Ultra (Class 10) 32 GB Card (rated at 48 MBPS) which as per the Viofo forum is "not-recommended".

The best memory card for Dash cam usage as per the forum is Transcend High Endurance (which costs 5.5K)

Lexar 366x comes in at a close second (costs 2.5K for a pair). I've ordered the same.

Any A119 (or A118, A118C, A119S) users faced similar issues? Is it due the memory card or any other factors (Eg. GPS, resolution) involved?
nerd1200 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2017, 02:37   #1617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd1200 View Post
Guys, Not sure if this was posted earlier but recently I started seeing a lot of "Memory Error" and "Please format your card" errors in my Viofo A119.

I formatted the card umpteen times but the error is back in less than 10 minutes. On quick search in Viofo forums, it appears to be an issue with the memory card. I am using a Sandisk Ultra (Class 10) 32 GB Card (rated at 48 MBPS) which as per the Viofo forum is "not-recommended".

The best memory card for Dash cam usage as per the forum is Transcend High Endurance (which costs 5.5K)

Lexar 366x comes in at a close second (costs 2.5K for a pair). I've ordered the same.

Any A119 (or A118, A118C, A119S) users faced similar issues? Is it due the memory card or any other factors (Eg. GPS, resolution) involved?
I've seen a lot of reports on DCT about Sandisk red/grey cards not playing well with various dash cams, mostly Novatek based cameras. I had problems with the Sandisk while using the Mini 0805 (Ambarella based).

Been using the following cards without any issues so far -

Transcend 400X 64GB X 2 - one for 13 months and the other 8 months
Sandisk 128GB (all black with red print) - 6 months
Samsung EVO+ 64GB - 3 months

Incidentally all the above cards are used with Novatek based cameras.
Old 7th July 2017, 21:01   #1618
BHPian

Quote:
I've been using a 64GB Transcend 400x and also a Samsung EVO+ with my two Mobius cams without any issues whatsoever. If you're formatting the card in-camera using mSetup, there shouldn't be any issues with higher capacity cards (even 128GB).
Thanks, I was bit hesitant to use 64GB card earlier. I purchased Sandisk 64GB and formated with mSetup. I find Transcend 400x too expensive, now that you are using it eager to know any major advantages over other SD cards?

Quote:
I use the Mobile app for aiming the camera while mounting and have used it to change settings a couple of times, works well.
I am struggling to get the Live video working, in fact I never got it working!! Other app options like configuration and playing video work perfectly fine with mobile app. Even with latest update to Mobius app last month which was supposed to fix a known issue with live feed isn't of much help.
Here is what I am using:
  • Mobius 1 (firmware 2.41)
  • OnePlus 3 (7.1.1)
  • Mobius App(1.19.5)

I get these errors:
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-mobi.jpg

I really need to get this working. Your thoughts? are you using it on Android or iOS?

Also, off late suction cup which is stuck to my car windshield to hold the dashcam is falling off quite frequently. I am using the one supplied with the Mobius dashcam and I ensure to clean the surface before I stuck it. Anything more robust available in the market, anything particular you guys recommend? appreciate the response.
Old 7th July 2017, 21:18   #1619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post
Thanks, I was bit hesitant to use 64GB card earlier. I purchased Sandisk 64GB and formated with mSetup. I find Transcend 400x too expensive, now that you are using it eager to know any major advantages over other SD cards?

I am struggling to get the Live video working, in fact I never got it working!! Other app options like configuration and playing video work perfectly fine with mobile app. Even with latest update to Mobius app last month which was supposed to fix a known issue with live feed isn't of much help.
Here is what I am using:
  • Mobius 1 (firmware 2.41)
  • OnePlus 3 (7.1.1)
  • Mobius App(1.19.5)

I get these errors:
Attachment 1654939

I really need to get this working. Your thoughts? are you using it on Android or iOS?
Transcend 64GB 400X is MLC based and is what the engineers at SG and VIOFO use for their testing and comes bundled with SG cameras. Lately due to memory shortages SG has been bundling Samsung EVO+.

Live view works as it should for me. Once you push the record button to initiate live view, it should ask you to choose the desired resolution and then the video appears. It's probably a loose connection, try not to move the camera, cable and phone much while initiating the live view.

There's no iOS app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post

Also, off late suction cup which is stuck to my car windshield to hold the dashcam is falling off quite frequently. I am using the one supplied with the Mobius dashcam and I ensure to clean the surface before I stuck it. Anything more robust available in the market, anything particular you guys recommend? appreciate the response.
I would recommend the helmet mount - https://www.banggood.com/Bicycle-Hel...-p-934999.html

The base plate sticks to the windscreen, looks like shown below

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-mobiusmt12.png.jpeg

Last edited by harsh79 : 7th July 2017 at 21:22.
harsh79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2017, 19:27   #1620
BHPian

Quote:
It's probably a loose connection, try not to move the camera, cable and phone much while initiating the live view.
No. Tried every trick in the book, 2 different cellphones and 2 different cables no luck. I posted this even on rcgroups.com forum. App developer(Thomas) himself is responding to my queries but not much help.
Anyways, I found an alternate app to do this for me in the meantime. This app detected my dashcam instantly and gives the live feed

Quote:
I would recommend the helmet mount - https://www.banggood.com/Bicycle-Hel...-p-934999.html
Thanks, I have this mount already which came bundled with my Mobius package. Will try this out tomorrow

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks