Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2017, 14:21   #1501
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Hi
Can you pls share the make and model of the USB cable? Will order it along with the cam if available on Amazon.
Search for Amazon basics 10 feet cables. It's sold by cloudtail.
shajufx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 23:11   #1502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post

Only issue I find is, my cigar lighter point is continuous power. Any suggestions to sort it out ? SJCam starts recording as soon as the power is recognised. Right now I have to manually plug in and plug out from the power point because of the 'always ON' status.
Shaju, my Ford Classic also gives continuous power through the cig lighter point, so as a workaround, I got this splitter from AliExpress and stuck it in a convenient spot using the supplied double-sided tape. It has individual push-button switches for each of the three points. It also has two USB charging points, one on each side of the unit, so i can charge multiple cellphones as well as switch on my dashcam when I need to. No need to keep pulling the charger out and pushing it in.
See if it meets your requirements.
Cheers

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3-Wa...608.0.0.JJEx5D

Last edited by FarPatel : 21st May 2017 at 23:16.
Old 23rd May 2017, 10:19   #1503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarPatel View Post
....so i can charge multiple cellphones as well as switch on my dashcam when I need to. No need to keep pulling the charger out and pushing it in.
I like the idea of switches but prefer a USB output over this because I already have four 12v outlets in the car out of which I use only 1 below the dash. Will figure out if there is a product that has a push button switch with USB output.

Adding a picture of my installation. Its partially covered with the mirror, I prefer bit more higher but the rain sensor blackened edge comes into the top corner of the video frame. Entire 10 feet cable was concealed without any tools (ref.previous post with green marking). I must also add, this 10 feet is a perfect length for the purpose, including a compact SUV type area !
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-sjc.jpg

Last edited by shajufx : 23rd May 2017 at 10:22.
shajufx is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2017, 09:55   #1504
BHPian

Hi All, I am contemplating upon buying a Dashcam and I have zeroed upon two models -
1) Viofo A119s https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MFAK888

2) Yi Dashcam https://www.amazon.com/YI-1080P60-Da...ds=yi+dash+cam

I have some questions for the tech gurus –

1) Viofo has a capacitator and Yi has batteries. Viofo has a capacitator and Yi has batteries and all the reviews are pointing out towards one important aspect is if one is living in hot climate it’s better to invest in a Dashcam with a capacitator rather than one with a battery. It’s because of the fact that batteries might get hot and may result in malfunction or something more serious.
2) However in the event of an accident and I have to show the video to a cop, will I able to carry the unit with me (say inside a police station) and show the clip to them.
3) I am not bothered about the price as the unit will be purchased for me in States and will be carried along with my parents who are coming back next month.
4) Am I missing on some other important details, please feel free to point out?
Old 26th May 2017, 10:25   #1505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific View Post
4) Am I missing on some other important details, please feel free to point out?
Hi Pacific, if you plan to hardwire the dashcam, i would suggest you to get hardwire kit, fuse tap from the US and have your parents bring it with the camera. This way you are all set . my 2 cents.
yajaman99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2017, 12:05   #1506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific View Post
2) However in the event of an accident and I have to show the video to a cop, will I able to carry the unit with me (say inside a police station) and show the clip to them.
Don't need to carry it with you but using a power bank the camera could be used for playback. I keep an OTG card card reader in the car, if required the video can be played on a smartphone.
harsh79 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2017, 03:36   #1507
BHPian

I returned from the US last week, and ended up purchasing the Garmin 45 dashcam from a Bestbuy store in Orlando albeit I wanted the Transcend 220 Drive which is popular on the thread here- the latter wasn't available in most stores I visited, and due to time constraints I chose Garmin which cost me around US$150. I wanted the Garmin 55 which had voice commands, and unfortunately it was out-of-stock.

Features include: Forward Collision Warning (activates only after 48 km/hr), Lane Departure Warning System (only after 64 km/hr), WiFi Sync, Traffic Moving alert (helps let you know once the traffic in front of you starts moving), Travelapse (trimming hours of videos into minutes), and G-sensors (which help enable capture incidents).

Off all these, WiFi sync, the Forward Collision, Traffic Moving alert, and Travelapse were used or activated- they seem to be good to be leveraged in our country.

Here is a morning video taken on the dashcam:

And here is a night video shot in low-light conditions at night:

Welcome your thoughts, suggestions, and comments.
jacobvarughese is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 13:16   #1508
Senior - BHPian

Quick help needed.

The charger that I got with the car DVR with this model GT300 ( https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pcs...5-9d148fc606b3 ) Isn't working. I have got it hardwired, with a additional charging point near the fuse box. there is a indicator light on the charger and it glows, however it doesn't charge the DVR even when I removed it from its additional charging point and plugged it into the OE charging point. The DVR works fine, when I connected it to the car USB port. What seems to be the issue here? If I need only the charger, how do i procure it?
Old 30th May 2017, 13:59   #1509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Quick help needed.

The charger that I got with the car DVR with this model GT300 ( https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pcs...5-9d148fc606b3 ) Isn't working. I have got it hardwired, with a additional charging point near the fuse box. there is a indicator light on the charger and it glows, however it doesn't charge the DVR even when I removed it from its additional charging point and plugged it into the OE charging point. The DVR works fine, when I connected it to the car USB port. What seems to be the issue here? If I need only the charger, how do i procure it?
You can just use Mini USB mobile car charger.
Old 30th May 2017, 14:46   #1510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
You can just use Mini USB mobile car charger.
Thanks,
Do these come with the required length to conceal the wiring behind the roof liner and the A pillar and take it all the way to the fuse box? If yes, then any recommended brands?
Old 30th May 2017, 19:17   #1511
BHPian

So help me out.

Last year I ordered a GT300 from gearbest and that turned out to be complete crap. Gearbest was kind enough to issue a refund, and I picked up a mini 0826. I have used it for the last 9 months and 11000 kms. While there are odd niggles like the glass of the so called CPL falling off, and the GPS mount not allowing to set the correct time (its either GMT +5 or +6- no +5.5 option), the overall video quality is good. This is fixed on the front windscreen of Car #1 which I drive.

I am looking for a atleast 2 more dashcam for:
1. The rear windscreen of the car I drive- do not need GPS, CPL and semi HD will also do. Also my rear windshield has demisting lines (those red lines that run horizontally).

2. A city beater car (swift) used by a driver for school pickup & drop, and occasionally used by my dad. Again, do not need GPS and CPL, video quality should be acceptable. This will be used on the front windshield, not sure if I should opt for another in the rear as well.

My priority would be those with a suction mount, but willing to explore the stick on as well. Any reliable options in the $25- $50 (for each cam) range.

Thanks,
Ajay

Last edited by ajayclicks : 30th May 2017 at 19:28.
Old 30th May 2017, 19:31   #1512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post

1. The rear windscreen of the car I drive- do not need GPS, CPL and semi HD will also do. Also my rear windshield has demisting lines (those red lines that run horizontally).

2. A city beater car (swift) used by a driver for school pickup & drop, and occasionally used by my dad. Again, do not need GPS and CPL, video quality should be acceptable. This will be used on the front windshield, not sure if I should opt for another in the rear as well.

My priority would be those with a suction mount, but willing to explore the stick on as well. Any reliable options in the $25- $50 (for each cam) range.
Spend slightly more and get the Mobius for both cars.
harsh79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 21:48   #1513
BHPian

Quote:
So help me out.

Last year I ordered a GT300 from gearbest and that turned out to be complete crap. Gearbest was kind enough to issue a refund, and I picked up a mini 0826. I have used it for the last 9 months and 11000 kms. While there are odd niggles like the glass of the so called CPL falling off, and the GPS mount not allowing to set the correct time (its either GMT +5 or +6- no +5.5 option), the overall video quality is good. This is fixed on the front windscreen of Car #1 which I drive.

Thanks,
Ajay

You can consider DB Power EX5000. It is available for Rs. 3100/- at AliExpress. It supports 32GB MMC. Video quality is good. I bought it for using it as an action camera. Basically it is SJ4000. It has got Car DVR mode. It has WiFi also. Motion Detection. Value for money. You will get loads of accessories. You can use it on your helmet or bike also. Consider it. I have Transcend DrivePro 220 and using it since March 2016. Since your budget is ranging between 25$-50$ it may serve the purpose. There are many other dash cams available on Ali Express.
kabir3551 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 22:16   #1514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabir3551 View Post
You can consider DB Power EX5000. It is available for Rs. 3100/- at AliExpress.
is this the one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DBPO...2-0c10c8589005

I have used YI action cam before, the only hitch was that it had to be manually switched on. The DVR mode in this one should be handy

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh79 View Post
Spend slightly more and get the Mobius for both cars.
Do you mean Mobius mini? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/In-s...5-37dd0cd23fd2
They have a Mobius 2 as well that is around $90
Old 30th May 2017, 23:12   #1515
BHPian

Quote:

Do you mean Mobius mini?
They have a Mobius 2 as well that is around $90
The Mobius mini is not suitable for dash cam usage as it heats up very fast. It's made specifically for the FPV racing market.

I meant the original Mobius -

C2 Wide angle lens - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mobius-Actio...-/161577541220

https://www.banggood.com/Mobius-New-...-p-985644.html

D lens (narrower than C2) - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-HD-Mobi...-/162305061497

Replace the battery with a super-capacitor and and you're good to go - https://www.banggood.com/Super-Capac...-p-918122.html

Here's a link to all the mounts and other accessories -https://www.banggood.com/search/mobius.html

The eBay links are from a store operated by the manufacturer of Mobius cameras, they stock the super-capacitor too but is available only on request.

When it comes to overall image quality and low-light performance, even after a year or so of development, sadly the Mobius 2 isn't even at par with the Mobius 1. Largely due to the developer ditching the available SDK and trying to code using Linux, from scratch. Night footage with WDR-On is horrendous. Not recommended as of now.

I'm using the Mobius as a rear camera - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...actioncam.html
harsh79 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks