Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2017, 14:23   #1381
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch_hornet View Post
Thanks. Yeah I realised the price difference only after placing and paying for the order. My bad. Let's hope it lives up to the name

The rear camera, is that for the reverse parking? I have an in-built reverse camera in the car so wouldn't need that.
My A118c can record a separate stream from the rear camera as well in parallel to the front but in SD not in HD. Hence if you hook up a rear camera, you can also record the action happening at the back of your car. Pretty useful in such cases as yours. However, there is a limitation. The camera has a single port for GPS and rear camera which means you can only install one at a time. Hence, I went for the GPS option though sometimes even I feel like getting a camera instead of the not so useful GPS.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2017, 17:57   #1382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch_hornet View Post

I looked through various reviews and this thread as well, and finally settled for the ODRVM car dash cam via Amazon India (link). It cost me Rs. 9.2k, and now I am waiting for its arrival.

Looks good, but will not know until I test for myself. Will update with the performance of this kit once I have it. Still, if anyone in the forum uses or has experience with this particular cam, please share your thoughts.
You've overpaid big time for a generic B40/A118. If possible, cancel the order and consider one of the following in the same form-factor -

The VIOFO version of the A118C is a lot more reliable and the support is better too. V2 has an improved lens and the new lens housing supports a clip-on CPL filter.

A118C V2 - $75 - http://www.foxoffer.com/car-dash-cam...sh-camera.html

A119 - $99 - http://www.gearbest.com/car-dvr/pp_392248.html

Use the following link to get it for $70 (limited time e-mail only promotion) -

http://www.shareasale.com/r.cfm?u=87...wxMjQ3MA%3D%3D

With the $30 off, one could splurge a bit on expedited shipping if going with the A119.

There's also the new A119S. Excellent low-light performance but still some teething issues, won't recommend as of now.
harsh79 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2017, 20:16   #1383
BHPian

A quick question. I have a dashcam with crappy quality video. This has since been replaced with a good quality one. Now this dashcam is just lying around (with its memory card) and I was thinking of attaching it to the rear windshield for a few days (just for fun, or to see who rear ends me). This dashcam comes with a suction mount, and my rear windshield has those red horizontal lines for demisting. Wanted to check if its safe to attach this suction mount on the rear windshield. If I remove this attachment, will I end up damaging the demisting lines.
Old 25th February 2017, 20:44   #1384
BHPian

I ordered A118C from Ali-express for about $45, on 3rd Feb 2017. Within 20 days it reached via PostNL. The package arrived neat but nowhere 'Viofo' was mentioned on the box. I opened the package, connected to car charger for quick check and the camera booted up with welcome screen and other options.

My bad, took this camera to one accessory shop and asked to provide direct connection as such once I switch on the ignition, the camera starts automatically. He tried doing that, spent 15-20 minutes but unsuccessful, hence connected back to car charger. But the camera didn't boot up. Now whether I connect this to the car charger or USB, DVR doesn't switch on. Wrote to Viofo customer care and waiting for their response. Did anyone face this ? Please advice

Last edited by OneToughRider : 25th February 2017 at 20:47. Reason: typo
Old 25th February 2017, 21:50   #1385
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToughRider View Post
My bad, took this camera to one accessory shop and asked to provide direct connection as such once I switch on the ignition, the camera starts automatically. He tried doing that, spent 15-20 minutes but unsuccessful, hence connected back to car charger. But the camera didn't boot up. Now whether I connect this to the car charger or USB, DVR doesn't switch on. Wrote to Viofo customer care and waiting for their response. Did anyone face this ? Please advice
Did u connect directly to an mobile USB charger? 2A one? Then it is gone.
Be careful with power input.
It happened to me. I was using a Dome camera GS9000. It's lithium battery bloated after one year. So tried changing battery. It worked. In a moment of jubilation connected the power USB cable to data USB port. DVR gone kaput.
Old 28th February 2017, 06:12   #1386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
Did u connect directly to an mobile USB charger? 2A one? Then it is gone.
Be careful with power input.
It happened to me. I was using a Dome camera GS9000. It's lithium battery bloated after one year. So tried changing battery. It worked. In a moment of jubilation connected the power USB cable to data USB port. DVR gone kaput.
Connecting a dash cam to a good quality 2A wall-charger (like the ones that come with most branded phones) causes no harm. I've left dash cams recording overnight for over 12 hours (as a stress test) on multiple occasions without any issues.

You have a faulty charger.
harsh79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 13:17   #1387
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh79 View Post
Connecting a dash cam to a good quality 2A wall-charger (like the ones that come with most branded phones) causes no harm. I've left dash cams recording overnight for over 12 hours (as a stress test) on multiple occasions without any issues.

You have a faulty charger.
Don't think so. I model i was using served me well. It had two Micro USB ports . one for charging and the other for connecting to PC. As already mentioned in my earlier post, i had connected the charger usb into data usb and DVR gone. Even now it shows red light when connected. But screen does not work and camera does not function.
Old 28th February 2017, 17:57   #1388
BHPian

Quote:
Don't think so. I model i was using served me well. It had two Micro USB ports . one for charging and the other for connecting to PC. As already mentioned in my earlier post, i had connected the charger usb into data usb and DVR gone. Even now it shows red light when connected. But screen does not work and camera does not function.
Many cheap dash cams are very sensitive to voltage fluctuations and even a bit of extra voltage fries the internals. There's zero power management or over current protection in these cameras. I suffered the same fate with the Mini 0805 using a cheap hardwire kit, which's another low-cost Ambarella based camera, alike your GS9000.
Old 28th February 2017, 19:05   #1389
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Many cheap dash cams are very sensitive to voltage fluctuations and even a bit of extra voltage fries the internals. There's zero power management or over current protection in these cameras. I suffered the same fate with the Mini 0805 using a cheap hardwire kit, which's another low-cost Ambarella based camera, alike your GS9000.
I had paid approximately 120 USD for that. It did great work. Recording non stop for 16 days ( 1.3 Tb video footage). As i said it has gone kaput , I had connected power to Data USB port. It has two ports. I do not know about Mini models ( whether they have two USB ports are not)
rkg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 20:22   #1390
BHPian

Quote:
I had paid approximately 120 USD for that. It did great work. Recording non stop for 16 days ( 1.3 Tb video footage). As i said it has gone kaput , I had connected power to Data USB port. It has two ports. I do not know about Mini models ( whether they have two USB ports are not)
Sorry for misunderstanding your previous posts and going on rambling.

Still goes to show how vulnerable these dash cams are to minor voltage spikes. The replacement Mini I'd received also crapped out, this time around it happened on connecting a HDMI cable to its HDMI output port. Go figure?
harsh79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2017, 14:45   #1391
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Still goes to show how vulnerable these dash cams are to minor voltage spikes. The replacement Mini I'd received also crapped out, this time around it happened on connecting a HDMI cable to its HDMI output port. Go figure?
That's real shocker.

Actually mine was Ambarella As 270 chip along with OV sensor. Still trying to figure out a way to revive. As already stated, i had replace LIPO battery inside( bloated due to heat and continuous use) with a new one. It was working. Then planned to add an external Lithium Ion battery . Made all connections. In a hurry , connected power USB to Data usb. Thats's the end of it.

I still feel it is better to stick to Shenzhen Dome . One can buy their products directly from factory store at Ali express.
Old 1st March 2017, 16:05   #1392
Senior - BHPian

Re: Helmet friendly action camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Guys, need suggestion for action cam that is compact and can be mounted to the helmet easily. I am not a fan of cameras protruding too much from the side or top of the helmet, looks weird and also affects windflow causing the helmet to sway.
You have a few options :

Mobius - https://www.mobius-actioncam.com/

Sony Action cams - http://www.sony.co.in/electronics/action-cam/t/action-cam

Panasonic HX-A1 Action Cam - http://www.panasonic.com/in/consumer...ers/hx-a1.html

Contour Roam - http://contour.com/cameras/roam3

Drift Innovations Ghost and Stealth 2 - https://driftinnovation.com/

iON AirPro - https://usa.ioncamera.com/action-cameras/

Polaroid - http://www.polaroid.com/products/xs100i-action-camera

These are some of the more streamlined action cams, suitable for riders.

These should help avoid looking like this

Hope this helps

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd March 2017 at 15:49. Reason: Please remember to upload images via our Attachment system in the future. Thanks.
sohail99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2017, 08:57   #1393
Senior - BHPian

Transcend DP 220 owners, what is your opinion of, and protocol for, the lane departure warning system? Do you (a) leave it at its factory setting, (b) alter its configuration, or (c) disable it altogether?

Same question regarding the collision warning system.

Other dashcam owners (cameras with similar functionality) can comment too.
Old 7th March 2017, 12:17   #1394
Distinguished - BHPian

Mi launches the Mi Car Recorder in China for 350 yuan. Looks neat and compact. Will the experts compare the technical specs with competitors and comment? Information below from the URL itself.

http://www.mi.com/mj-carcorder/

Specifications (using Google Translate):
F 1.8 large aperture
SONY IMX323 image sensor, sensitivity up to 510mv (F5.6 standard).
Full HD (1080p) image processing technology,
H.264 video encoding storage compression
160 ° field of view
Accompanied by a Mi Car Recorder app.
Attached Thumbnails
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-carcorder01.jpg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-carcorder02.jpg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-carcorder08.jpg  

Last edited by itwasntme : 7th March 2017 at 12:26. Reason: Specs
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 21:52   #1395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Transcend DP 220 owners, what is your opinion of, and protocol for, the lane departure warning system? Do you (a) leave it at its factory setting, (b) alter its configuration, or (c) disable it altogether?

Same question regarding the collision warning system.
I have left the lane departure warning system in the factory setting (I think). But I have to admit I don't pay much attention to it. I think the detection depends on the angle I have set up the camera, so it's not consistent (when moving to a left-hand side lane compared to a right-hand side lane). Although it has been setup to be active above speed of 60km/h, it is again not consistent in detecting lane changes at all speeds above 60. So I cannot trust it to detect lane changes in all conditions. Another problem these days (not camera's fault) is snow on the road, which masks most lane markings.

I don't use the collision warning system at all as my car has already has it.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks