Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2016, 15:55   #1276
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh79 View Post
Not trying to put a damper on your purchase or mean any offense but this camera is not going to give you usable footage when you'll need it.

I wanted to give a try on how it is to have a dash cam. For 990 bucks, i knew i won't get a good product, heck, i expected a product that would never record anything. I was ok to lose 990 as a gamble. I don't find any issue with it now. The footage is decent and will suffice my need.

I may buy a blaupunkt dash cam after this goes kaput.
Old 25th October 2016, 16:32   #1277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Here are two more footages, one in HD mode selected, another in AVI mode. Both shot during daytime.
Quote:
Hi all,

I just bought the cheapest dash cam on sale on Amazon. I got it for 998 bucks, but now it is posted as 1098 bucks.

Pretty simple to use, clear instruction pamplet, a camera, suction type holder, charger to be connected to car's 12v socket, 270 degree display. Additionally bought a 4gb sd card which is good for 40 mins of recording. It is easy to view and delete videos on the device itself. Below is the night driving sample video i shot today. Audio quality is poor but makes a lot of sense for 1000 rupees.
Quote:
I wanted to give a try on how it is to have a dash cam. For 990 bucks, i knew i won't get a good product, heck, i expected a product that would never record anything. I was ok to lose 990 as a gamble. I don't find any issue with it now. The footage is decent and will suffice my need.

I may buy a blaupunkt dash cam after this goes kaput.
If you really want to use a dash cam for its 'intended' purpose, then stay away from these cheap dashcams, which includes BP2.0. Even i had a similar thinking like you when i first brought my dash cam (BP2.0). After initial euphoria of having it, i started realizing that i need to see 'number board' of a vehicle in front of me (both day time and night) clearly. Then i went ahead and brought mini0805.
So, unless you want to use the dash cam for 'fun', i suggest you to stay away from these cheap versions.
kavensri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 18:57   #1278
BHPian

Do these cams work when the car is parked? Can they be used to prevent car vandalism?

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 27th October 2016 at 05:52. Reason: Please punctuate and post in proper English. It is imperative to maintain the quality of the forum. Thanks.
Old 25th October 2016, 20:05   #1279
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by caraholic View Post
Do these cams work when the car is parked? Can they be used to prevent car vandalism?
Yes. Many dashcams have recording triggered by motion sensing. For this, the cam should get supply even if the ignition is removed.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 27th October 2016 at 05:52. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 25th October 2016, 20:37   #1280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by caraholic View Post
Only the ones that have parking mode built-in and are hardwired to receive power while the car is off.

You will not be able to prevent someone from vandalising your car but will most certainly be able to catch the act and perpetrators on video.

If you want true parking mode, then it has to be 'buffered/pre-buffered' and not just 'motion-detect'.

Motion detect parking mode - The camera will start recording once motion is sensed within its FOV or if the G- sensor gets activated.

Not ideal as someone can key the bonnet just walking by but you won't catch that as the camera takes a second or two to start recording once it senses the movement. May work great only if you're lucky enough that the vandal just stands there in front of your camera after the deed is done.

Motion detect with pre-buffered parking mode - Same as above but the camera also saves footage leading up to the event.

This way you'll have anywhere between 5-10 seconds footage of the events leading up to the trigger and 30-60 seconds of footage after the G-sensor gets triggered or anything comes into the FOV of the lens.

Be prepared to spend on a high capacity card too if you're looking for parking mode.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 27th October 2016 at 05:53. Reason: Quoted post edited.
harsh79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2016, 20:11   #1281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Received my A118C today. Will install later in my car. This will go for the rear windshield.
I have installed the A118C at the rear but have found the images to be grainy. I have attached screen shots taken from paused videos. Also i have noticed that the license plates are a bit blurry and have found the overall quality to be just average. The transcend beats the A118C as far as true HD recording is concerned and below pics were from HD option on the camera. Any tips or suggestions to improve the quality of the recording. I am quite dissapointed with the camera's performance.
Video was shot during evening post 5 pm. Will check tomorrow for the morning quality.
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-capture1.jpg

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-capture2.jpg

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-capture3.jpg

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 26th October 2016 at 20:39.
Old 26th October 2016, 20:49   #1282
BHPian

Quote:
I have installed the A118C at the rear but have found the images to be grainy. I have attached screen shots taken from paused videos. Also i have noticed that the license plates are a bit blurry and have found the overall quality to be just average. The transcend beats the A118C as far as true HD recording is concerned and below pics were from HD option on the camera. The screen also remains on throughout the drive even with the screen saver in on mode. Any tips or suggestions to improve the quality of the recording. I am quite dissapointed with the camera's performance.
Start by moving the lens a 'click' or two down from the current position, you'll get better exposure. Try 40/60 - sky/road, currently your camera is aimed too high.

Try toggling the screensaver option on & off and then setting it to what you prefer, should stick.

Edit: Update to the latest firmware and reset the camera before you set it up and mount it in the car for good.

Last edited by harsh79 : 26th October 2016 at 21:11.
Old 26th October 2016, 21:46   #1283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Start by moving the lens a 'click' or two down from the current position, you'll get better exposure. Try 40/60 - sky/road, currently your camera is aimed too high.

Try toggling the screensaver option on & off and then setting it to what you prefer, should stick.

Edit: Update to the latest firmware and reset the camera before you set it up and mount it in the car for good.
The latest firmware seems to be A118C.20160316 which is the version on the camera. I have enabled screen saver on. Will change its postion angle and check tomorrow.

Thanks.
Old 27th October 2016, 20:49   #1284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The latest firmware seems to be A118C.20160316 which is the version on the camera. I have enabled screen saver on. Will change its postion angle and check tomorrow.

Thanks.
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-evenninh.jpg

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-night.jpg

I will let the pictures do the talking. I am raising a concern with GearBest will see if they can help me out. This is not even close to HD. It's youtube 144P at best as far as resolution is concerned.
Old 27th October 2016, 21:24   #1285
BHPian

Quote:
This is not even close to HD. It's Youtube 144P at best as far as resolution is concerned.
Something does seem amiss. What recording resolution is it set to? Can you the share videos on YouTube for better scrutiny?

The nigh time picture posted by you is somewhat as expected from the A118C, the blowout and glare from oncoming headlights will properly expose only at close distances. You windscreen looks dirty too, makes a big difference (especially at night).

Don't mean to come across as patronising but have you removed the lens protecting sticker that comes stuck over the lens.
Old 27th October 2016, 21:39   #1286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Something does seem amiss. What recording resolution is it set to?
Don't mean to come across as patronising but have you removed the lens protecting sticker that comes stuck over the lens.
Yup i figured as i will be asked this i had removed the protective film over the lens beforehand .The video is shot at full HD option. I have raised concern with gear best. Lets see what they say. Have sent them a sample video.

I understand the dirty screen but the images are getting torn around to say in layman words.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 27th October 2016 at 21:41.
Old 27th October 2016, 22:00   #1287
BHPian

Quote:
Yup i figured as i will be asked this i had removed the protective film over the lens beforehand .The video is shot at full HD option. I have raised concern with gear best. Lets see what they say. Have sent them a sample video.

I understand the dirty screen but the images are getting torn around to say in layman words.
Unfortunately by moving the lens down a notch or two in your car's case has led to an increase in the amount of reflection, that's your trim panel grain in the reflection (see pic below). You pics from yesterday look a lot better. Which car?

If you've uploaded the video shared with GB anywhere, can you PM me the link?

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-eve.jpg
Old 28th October 2016, 10:05   #1288
Senior - BHPian

This is what GearBest had to say about my complaint.

Quote:
Dear Sumeet,

Thank you for contacting us.

We are extremely sorry to hear you are dissatisfied with the product.
Could you please check our warranty policy?
http://www.gearbest.com/about/warranty-and-return.html

You can keep the item and accept 5 USD on your Wallet (Store credit)
In this case, you can keep the item and do not need to return it to us for this time.
If you know someone in need or if you would like to donate it to a charity, we would really appreciate it.
We can refund 5 USD back on your Wallet and exceptionally reward you with extra points (e.g. If your refund is USD 1=2 points, USD 3=3*2 points=>get 6 points etc).
You can use both your wallet and points to purchase your future products.
I will try and upload videos later if possible maybe on the weekend. But one can make out the poor quality pic easily from the screen grabs of the videos.

I am posting two pics below, one is from the A118C and the other is taken from my Transcend when it was bought new. The method of capturing the images are same for both, pause the video and take a print screen from the laptop.

A118C. I have encircled the sections where the image distortion is clear. There is no windscreen in the middle and the lens was wiped clean with cloth.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-image_distrortion.jpg

Transcend

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-transcned.jpg

Look at the difference in quality. GearBest return policies are crap, i would have to return the item at my own cost which i am in no mood to do. Will continue using this Chinese cheap junk (serves me right for going for such cheap product) till it dies and will get another Transcend. Might as well have bought the similar Blaupunkt, at least i would have had it in a week's time than the 3 weeks GB made me wait for the A118C.

Edit: Attaching the file properties in case it's of any help.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-capture.jpg_oct24_2016.jpg

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 28th October 2016 at 10:08.
Old 28th October 2016, 10:11   #1289
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is what GearBest had to say about my complaint.
Look at the difference in quality. GearBest return policies are crap, i would have to return the item at my own cost which i am in no mood to do. Will continue using this Chinese cheap junk (serves me right for going for such cheap product) till it dies and will get another Transcend. Might as well have bought the similar Blaupunkt, at least i would have had it in a week's time than the 3 weeks GB made me wait for the A118C.
Hi Sumeeth,
There is day and night difference between what you show and what my A118C records. Have posted the videos in earlier posts. I guess you have either got a camera with a defective lens, or there is some firmware issue.

Quite surprised with the issues you are facing. The video bitrate is same as mine, which indicates this might be a hardware issue.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 12:08   #1290
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1571490
Yup, from the latest indoor pic it looks like a lens or sensor issue, most probably the sensor.

If GB doesn't play fair, pop over to the GB thread at DCT, you'll get most of your money back.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks