Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2016, 22:10   #1126
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

I would just like to warn anyone considering the Koonlung K1S dual dashcam.

I bought 2 of these at a relatively high price and 1 control unit/head unit has already failed.

Some of the features (like auto-start when powered on through the 12v socked) also do not work.
Old 19th August 2016, 11:27   #1127
BHPian

I'm in the market to buy a dashcam for my daily drive. Requirements other than usual dashcam features like :
1. Need to have Full-HD or better recording.
2. From recorded video, I should be able to read registration numbers of vehicles passing by at city speeds (20-30 kmph). Intention is to report all the jokers I encounter on my commute to Bangalore traffic police. Whether they take action or not is another matter.
3. Okay with lower field of vision (to be honest, 170 degree views are somewhat an eyesore and nauseating)
4. Shouldn't be exorbitantly priced - budget is 15K max. (looking at you, Transcend DP220! you are fluctuating between 13,500 and 20,000 in Amazon now, while a few months back you were at 9000). This criteria is not hard, since I will pay for quality (refer to point 2 above).
5. Should be reliable (can't afford to have the dashcam conked up one fine morning)

Based on a couple of hours' research, I've shortlisted Viofo 119 (based on feedback on 118) and Transcend DP220.

Can fellow bhpians who own these cams comment on my point 2 above? I checked a few raw videos available online from DP220. I don't know if it is the online compression, but I could not make out the registration plates, even during daytime.

Should I hold on a couple of months and wait for the 119s which apparently has a superior Sony sensor?

Last edited by Horizon81 : 19th August 2016 at 11:38. Reason: Added price limit
Old 19th August 2016, 11:34   #1128
BANNED

Mod Note : Using Team-BHP to promote vested and commercial interests is STRICTLY prohibited. Do refrain from marketing your goods / services on this board.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th August 2016 at 10:25. Reason: See note in post
micrographics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 11:40   #1129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrographics View Post
@Horizon81

When you already looking into the price bracket of 20K
Sorry for being vague, but my upper limit is 15K (edited my original post now). Are the dashcams in the link you've shared reliable?
Old 19th August 2016, 11:44   #1130
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon81 View Post
Sorry for being vague, but my upper limit is 15K (edited my original post now). Are the dashcams in the link you've shared reliable?
The Dash listed on the site are Genuine and most reliable DashCams. Manufactured by Pioneers in DashCam Technlogy.

I myself is using it for past 2 years without any problem so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post
I would just like to warn anyone considering the Koonlung K1S dual dashcam.

I bought 2 of these at a relatively high price and 1 control unit/head unit has already failed.

Some of the features (like auto-start when powered on through the 12v socked) also do not work.
In case of Technology products, my suggestion is always go for Reputed Brand sold by Authorised Distributors/Dealers instead of relying on Chinese lower quality product without warranty.

NOTE FROM T-BHP SUPPORT: Please avoid putting up one post after another. Use the EDIT / QUOTE+ functions within 30 minutes of posting instead of posting consecutively. Thanks.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 19th August 2016 at 12:03.
micrographics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 14:06   #1131
BHPian

I bought Blaupunkt BP 2.0 FHD Digital Video Recorder. I am facing a issue where the dashcam gets hung and stops recording. Not able to make out what is going wrong. Anyone who might have faced similar issue and found some resolution. Bought it from Amazon, should I ask for replacement ?
Old 19th August 2016, 14:37   #1132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul_ View Post
I bought Blaupunkt BP 2.0 FHD Digital Video Recorder. I am facing a issue where the dashcam gets hung and stops recording. Not able to make out what is going wrong. Anyone who might have faced similar issue and found some resolution. Bought it from Amazon, should I ask for replacement ?
I have been using this dashcam (at the rear) since more than a year now and never faced any issue. The reason why i am writing this post is not to answer your query but to give one suggestion. If possible return this dashcam and buy something 'better' ones. You might have already observed this, it is useless (to read the number plate) during night time and sometimes even during day time. So, this dashcam beats it's intended purpose, if you ask me. I realized this only after buying it and hence i went ahead and brought a 'medium' range dashcam for the front and am using this at the rear.
kavensri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2016, 16:24   #1133
BHPian

Guys, in case any of you are thinking of ordering a fuse tap from Ali Express, a word of caution. I had ordered three minis from this vendor
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Add-A...08.0.56.tVRt3l
They just arrived today, after 38 days, which is no problem. However, the quality of the holders is terrible. I couldn't insert the fuse included with each of them without using brute force, resulting in bending of one of the fuses. After that I couldn't remove the fuse without struggling a lot. So I don't think its a good idea to use these items in our cars and I've opened a dispute for a refund. It's not much, less than 3 dollars, but what the heck, why should I pay some third-rate supplier from another country for such shoddy quality?
I checked the continuity in each of them with my multimeter and it was ok, so no complaints on that score but..
Attached Thumbnails
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-dsc_2672.jpg  

Last edited by FarPatel : 20th August 2016 at 16:27.
FarPatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2016, 16:51   #1134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarPatel View Post
Guys, in case any of you are thinking of ordering a fuse tap from Ali Express, a word of caution. I had ordered three minis from this vendor
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Add-A...08.0.56.tVRt3l
They just arrived today, after 38 days, which is no problem. However, the quality of the holders is terrible. I couldn't insert the fuse included with each of them without using brute force, resulting in bending of one of the fuses. After that I couldn't remove the fuse without struggling a lot. So I don't think its a good idea to use these items in our cars and I've opened a dispute for a refund. It's not much, less than 3 dollars, but what the heck, why should I pay some third-rate supplier from another country for such shoddy quality?
I checked the continuity in each of them with my multimeter and it was ok, so no complaints on that score but..
Try this store, good quality and a good range of products - http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1076...hText=fuse+tap

Edit:

As far as I can tell from the pic above, the fuse and fuse tap don't match. Try a different size fuse, it may just work.

Last edited by harsh79 : 20th August 2016 at 16:53.
harsh79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2016, 17:57   #1135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh79 View Post
Try this store, good quality and a good range of products - http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1076...hText=fuse+tap

Edit:

As far as I can tell from the pic above, the fuse and fuse tap don't match. Try a different size fuse, it may just work.
Thanks Harsh, but they do match. I was able to push one all the way in, and take it out, with great difficulty each way. I think the contacts inside the slots are just very badly designed or fabricated. Sunny Electronics looks like a better bet. I wanted a fuse tap to hardwire my dashcam as well as to install a DRL, so I'll try Sunny now.

Last edited by FarPatel : 20th August 2016 at 18:01.
Old 25th August 2016, 14:22   #1136
BHPian

Hi! I have an opportunity to get myself one Transcend Drive Pro 220 from the U.S. costing $150 on Amazon.com.

Shall I go ahead with that or is there a better alternative I can buy? Max I can stretch is $200.

Also, what are similar options in India around INR 15,000 max (similar performance and features)? Night recording quality should be good.

Would be able to test the dash cam only in India so I was wondering what if the unit turned out to be faulty?

Don't want to rely on Ali Express or Gear Best for this purchase.

The Blaupunkt one I have is useless to say the least.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Safety is Param : 25th August 2016 at 14:24.
Old 25th August 2016, 16:31   #1137
Senior - BHPian

I have a SJCAM 5000 wifi edition, its a decent DVR although I haven't tried it as in car DVR.It has a Car DVR mode.

Just received car mount accessory which I ordered directly from SJCAM website ,cost is around 12 SGD, quality is acceptable for the price.( Packaging is poor ).

Suction cup is good size, not sure if it can be used externally.
Old 25th August 2016, 16:41   #1138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
Hi! I have an opportunity to get myself one Transcend Drive Pro 220 from the U.S. costing $150 on Amazon.com.

Shall I go ahead with that or is there a better alternative I can buy? Max I can stretch is $200.

Also, what are similar options in India around INR 15,000 max (similar performance and features)? Night recording quality should be good.

Would be able to test the dash cam only in India so I was wondering what if the unit turned out to be faulty?

Thanks in advance!
If good quality night footage is a priority, I would recommend the Street Guardian SG9665GC.

You can check the video quality samples and my review here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...w-install.html
Old 25th August 2016, 17:33   #1139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
I have a SJCAM 5000 wifi edition, its a decent DVR although I haven't tried it as in car DVR.It has a Car DVR mode.

Just received car mount accessory which I ordered directly from SJCAM website ,cost is around 12 SGD, quality is acceptable for the price.( Packaging is poor ).

Suction cup is good size, not sure if it can be used externally.
Don't expect a lot from it during the night. SJCAM 4000 reportedly has the best night quality of the lot and even that doesn't compare to a half decent dashcam.

The suction cup mounts are generally for in-cabin use.
Old 26th August 2016, 08:58   #1140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post

Thanks in advance!
Hii have picked up the same device from Amazon USA for 149 USD have been using for about two months now and faced no issues except while updating firmware which dosent seem to be happening. you're right in not depending on the Chinese websites. The sandisk being a known brand would be rare to have any defects. I took the plunge with the 220 and not disappointed. The night recording is decent enough though ive only used it at 720p till now.
FYI the drivepro in India now retails at around 20K (amazon)
vinitbhavi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks