BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

DIY - A118C CPL addition

Items required:

24mm CPL - http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Highe...339513222.html

2X2mm Neodymium magnets - http://magnets-online.in/product/tin...set-of-50-pcs/

3M double sided tape - http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B018...6PBNM3MEZH7W7M

Any black sticker.

Attach a small piece of 3M double sided tape to lens housing as shown in the picture, then attach the magnets side by side to the tape and stick another piece of tape on top. I've used 8 magnets on each side, due to their small size, working with 2 at a time; stuck to each other length wise.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-a118c6-1.png

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-a118c5-1.png

Cut the black sticker to size and paste it on the 2nd layer of the 3M tape.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-a118c1-1.png

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-a118c2-1.png

CPL attached.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-a118c3-1.png

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-a118c4-1.png

The hold is firm and there is no vignetting with the 24mm CPL.

Best part being, it's totally reversible, opposed to permanently sticking magnets with glue as I did with the Mini.
harsh79 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2016, 11:41   #1037
BHPian

Hii guys so finally the much awaited Transcend Drive pro 220 arrived and ive promptly carried out DIY installation for the same. The size is good but being even smaller would have probably made it less conspicuous. The video quality is excellent however found the pictures a bit on the darker side so have increased the exposure to 0.5 to compensate for the cloudy Mumbai weather. The bundled 16 gb card has also been upgraded to a strontium 64 gb purchased yesterday. This is a class 10 card so im expecting it to work without issue. The cabling was done from the A pillar, beading like explained in most reviews and power taken from the second row 12V of the XUV 5OO so as to leave the front row clutter free. Following are a few pictures
Slight securing of the wires especially in second row needs to be done . Any suggestions on how to secure it are welcome
Attached Thumbnails
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_7508.jpg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_7509.jpg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_7511.jpg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_7512.jpg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_7514.jpg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_7515.jpg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_7516.jpg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_7520.jpg  

Last edited by vinitbhavi : 9th July 2016 at 11:44.
vinitbhavi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th July 2016, 22:11   #1038
Distinguished - BHPian

Good information on this thread! Thank you all who contributed to this. I want to check whether there are any units which can act both as a car DVR as well as helmet mounted unit (for bikes). Doesn't make sense to splurge on 2 different units; I'd as well spend on a quality stuff which I could use in 2 ways, though a bit on the expensive side.

I think for a helmet mounted unit, the battery backup should be really good as long rides can easily be upto 6-7 hours. Also, can we use powerbanks to charge it once they are on low battery?

Any suggestions on such a unit which can hold charge for a good 6-7 hours while riding and still have a good clarity?
Old 9th July 2016, 23:08   #1039
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I want to check whether there are any units which can act both as a car DVR as well as helmet mounted unit (for bikes).
Consider something like the Garmin VIRB (Amazon.in link). This comes with 1 flat and 1 curved adhesive mount (see this picture), and you can use the curved one to mount it on your helmet.
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-garmin-virb.jpg
In essence, this camera is Garmin's competitor to the popular GoPro cameras. It has a built-in Li-ion battery, takes a mini-USB input for charging (mini-USB is what dashcams generally use). Therefore, you could even choose to hardwire the dashcam power in your car. If you're looking for a nice review of the Garmin VIRB, see this review.

Pair it with a compatible suction mount (Amazon.in link) for use within the car.
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-suction-mount.jpg
PS: I'm not promoting Garmin products out of any vested interest, its just that I researched this camera to buy as a gift for a friend.

Last edited by arunphilip : 9th July 2016 at 23:15.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2016, 21:48   #1040
BHPian

Daytime (gloomy weather) videos with and without the DIY'd CPL

CPL adjustment

Without CPL

With CPL

Night-time videos with and without the CPL

Without CPL

With CPL

Quite happy with the result of the DIY, the CPL doesn't shift or fall off as the hold is strong and the results are decent during the day, night-time video with the CPL is rubbish.
Old 10th July 2016, 22:01   #1041
BHPian

Quote:
Good information on this thread! Thank you all who contributed to this. I want to check whether there are any units which can act both as a car DVR as well as helmet mounted unit (for bikes). Doesn't make sense to splurge on 2 different units; I'd as well spend on a quality stuff which I could use in 2 ways, though a bit on the expensive side.

I think for a helmet mounted unit, the battery backup should be really good as long rides can easily be upto 6-7 hours. Also, can we use powerbanks to charge it once they are on low battery?

Any suggestions on such a unit which can hold charge for a good 6-7 hours while riding and still have a good clarity?
Check out Mobius with the C2 lens, holds charge for a little over an hour. Tiny camera with good video quality. A bike mount is available too iirc. You could hardwire the power supply and conceal the wires.
harsh79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2016, 22:28   #1042
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Consider something like the Garmin VIRB (Amazon.in link)...
I was watching some reviews and the guy stated the Virb XE is better than this version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh79 View Post
Check out Mobius with the C2 lens, holds charge for a little over an hour. Tiny camera with good video quality. A bike mount is available too iirc. You could hardwire the power supply and conceal the wires.
Thanks. Was watching some video reviews last night and you get so freakin confused. The Sony cams were really good in terms of image stabilization & low light conditions, but pricey. But there are options like Garmin which are good too. GoPro however, scores on the reliability front I guess, it clearly was lower on the clarity against some of the competitors.

With whatever I managed to broswe thru, I guess the SJ4000 wifi manages to come out with a good VFM / quality proportion! And I think it's better to buy two additional battery if one needs to shoot a long trip. And I noticed that we can buy a dual battery charger too : that's a very good option to have, while the other batteries are being reserved / used.
Old 13th July 2016, 15:44   #1043
BHPian

Quote:
I was watching some reviews and the guy stated the Virb XE is better than this version.

Thanks. Was watching some video reviews last night and you get so freakin confused. The Sony cams were really good in terms of image stabilization & low light conditions, but pricey. But there are options like Garmin which are good too. GoPro however, scores on the reliability front I guess, it clearly was lower on the clarity against some of the competitors.

With whatever I managed to broswe thru, I guess the SJ4000 wifi manages to come out with a good VFM / quality proportion! And I think it's better to buy two additional battery if one needs to shoot a long trip. And I noticed that we can buy a dual battery charger too : that's a very good option to have, while the other batteries are being reserved / used.
Did a bit of searching. Do look at the GIT 2. A very capable and compelling package.
Old 14th July 2016, 18:27   #1044
Senior - BHPian

Help me out guys

Been thinking of upgrading my generic dashcam to a good one. Being an impulse buy i'm looking at Indian sites and i guess the options as far as i can see are:

Transcend 220: 13,500 [Amazon] Wi-Fi, GPS
HP F520G: 8,700 [Amazon] Wi-Fi, GPS
SJCAM M10: 8,999 [Amazon] Wi-Fi
Rock Autobot Eye: 7,999 [Amazon] Wi-Fi and Looks interesting
Asus Reco: 11,999 [E-Bay] Wi-Fi, GPS

There is just one single line review about the HP and a very cryptic one at that.
"Because of this purchase, I am leaving amazon. Bye bye.." ouch!

Any other suggestions?

Last edited by deathwalkr : 14th July 2016 at 18:47.
Old 14th July 2016, 22:11   #1045
BHPian

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Go for Transcend Drive Pro 220 without any doubt. Personal experience. From your list Transcend looks last resort due to price factor. You can explore the EMI option. All in all a very good dashcam. Deathwalkr check the amount of reviews received by all the dashcams. You will be able to have a clear picture about your choice. Out of 64 reviews Transcend has 43- 5* and 15- 4* reviews. I guess you wont go for HP 520G😂😂.

Last edited by kabir3551 : 14th July 2016 at 22:19.
kabir3551 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2016, 10:16   #1046
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabir3551 View Post
Go for Transcend Drive Pro 220 without any doubt. Personal experience. From your list Transcend looks last resort due to price factor. You can explore the EMI option. All in all a very good dashcam. Deathwalkr check the amount of reviews received by all the dashcams. You will be able to have a clear picture about your choice. Out of 64 reviews Transcend has 43- 5* and 15- 4* reviews. I guess you wont go for HP 520G😂😂.
heh heh yes, the hp review is indeed scary if not very informative. not mentioning if it was due to product issues or amazon issues. Ah well.

shall get the transcend 220 then. thanks.
Old 15th July 2016, 10:30   #1047
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post

There is just one single line review about the HP and a very cryptic one at that.
"Because of this purchase, I am leaving amazon. Bye bye.." ouch!

Any other suggestions?
There is lot of good reviews in Amazon.com for HP. Seems compact and good.

Amazon US site

I have used my old Andriod phone with Dash cam apps, works mostly flawless.

Last edited by shamanth : 15th July 2016 at 10:38.
Old 15th July 2016, 11:21   #1048
BHPian

Do these cams have loop recording feature (like where if space is over, its starts writing over the older footage from the start)?
Old 15th July 2016, 11:31   #1049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
There is lot of good reviews in Amazon.com for HP. Seems compact and good.

Amazon US site

I have used my old Andriod phone with Dash cam apps, works mostly flawless.
interesting. transcend seems to be not at all present there. so i guess the popularity of transcend here could be because of availability?

and just saw this video of the f520g:

Last edited by deathwalkr : 15th July 2016 at 11:38.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2016, 11:31   #1050
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturaldisaster View Post
Do these cams have loop recording feature?
The DrivePro 220 does that.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks