Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2016, 08:42   #1156
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Found an interesting read on the need for investing in a Dash Cam. While this piece refers to the US Market, the basic reasons of owning one are pretty clear, and given our traffic conditions in India its probably going to be downright imperative soon.
I've been contemplating getting one. Will definitely add my two pence worth once I've installed it.
Cheers!
Old 2nd September 2016, 18:47   #1157
BHPian

I am really happy with my yi dashcam and its app from playstore.
The app is in english although I was told otherwise.

Earlier I had bricked it when trying to install english firmware over chinese firmware. Had casually mailed yi support after failing with all solutions shown by google. Surprisingly they helped me fix it in no time.
Flashed with updated chinese firmware and it was good to go.
Now because of app, there is no need to handle the chinese menu of camera.

Link to app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oyi.car.camera

Link to Yi Dashcam Page:
http://www.yitechnology.com/dashcame.../status/1.html

App Screenshot
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-screenshot_20160902170837562_com.xiaoyi.car.camera.png
Old 2nd September 2016, 23:07   #1158
BHPian

Guys,

I have a Punto Evo, my driving is about 80% highway hauls. And counting the numerous close encounters I have had, I am pretty sure one of them could have turned ugly if I had batted my eyelids at the wrong moment. Like everyone here I feel a dashcam would be on immense help in our conditions. But I hate the idea of the Power cable hanging in front of the dash and the device itself sticking out for a couple of reasons, its obstructs the view secondly more importantly I think I have OCD, my wife too supports the second reason. Having said that I also, loved the Auto dimming mirrors on my friends E-i20 also the reverse cam. All of them very nicely skipped by FCA on the Punto. Now I came across the below product on Aliexpress, I know some of you here have bought similar all-in-ones.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/HD10...6-2686a183925c

I had a few questions, I hope someone using a device similar to the above can help.

1. Considering its about 160USD, it isn't cheap, how reliable are they ?
2. No cam supplied with the product, should I buy locally ?
3. Doesn't look like a Easy DIY, ASS wont do it, will out local artisans do a decent job ?
4. Are there any shops in BLR who already have these sourced so we dont have to wait for these to arrive from China.
5. Does it make sense to buy separate devices ? because if this fails, I loose 3 functions at once.

6. Finally if someone has bought it for a Fiat, could you confirm if bracket #15 is the correct one to order ?

TIA for your responses.
Old 3rd September 2016, 01:45   #1159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar View Post
Guys,

I have a Punto Evo, my driving is about 80% highway hauls. And counting the numerous close encounters I have had, I am pretty sure one of them could have turned ugly if I had batted my eyelids at the wrong moment.

1. Considering its about 160USD, it isn't cheap, how reliable are they ?
2. No cam supplied with the product, should I buy locally ?
3. Doesn't look like a Easy DIY, ASS wont do it, will out local artisans do a decent job ?
4. Are there any shops in BLR who already have these sourced so we dont have to wait for these to arrive from China.
5. Does it make sense to buy separate devices ? because if this fails, I loose 3 functions at once.

6. Finally if someone has bought it for a Fiat, could you confirm if bracket #15 is the correct one to order ?

TIA for your responses.
It'll definitely be wiser to go for separate devices for the reason you've mentioned, amongst others.

The seller of the product you have linked; hasn't bothered to mention the lens and chipset used, clearly indicating that the internals pertaining to dashcam functions are some dated or low grade solution. Reliability is unknown too.

If you're willing to spend around $150, my suggestion would be to go for the A119 dashcam from Viofo and a C-Link ClearView auto dimming mirror.

A119

http://www.banggood.com/search/a119.html

http://www.foxoffer.com/search?contr...egory_filter=0

Hardwire kit available with the camera at Foxoffer, they're a Viofo recognised supplier too.

The A119 is from a known and reliable supplier, around $100 will get you the GPS model, it is a fantastic buy. Great video quality day or night, discreet design and capacitor based too.

The ClearView mirror has been installed by many members here; including me. For under $50 this is true value for money.

The power cables don't need to dangle in view, you can conceal them in the A-pillar and headliner, routing the cigarette lighter socket to the 12V port from behind the glove box.

If you plan to hardwire the dashcam, you'll need one fuse-tap, another fuse-tap for the auto-dimming mirror installation.

For further information on installation you can check out the following threads by members a4anurag and vinj14 -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...are-orvms.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...dai-creta.html

Here's one from a4anurag for his Mini 0806 dashcam installation -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...sh-camera.html

Here's mine using an add-on cigarette lighter socket and a fuse-tap -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...w-install.html

Last edited by tsk1979 : 24th September 2016 at 10:35. Reason: shortening quoted post for mobile users
harsh79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2016, 07:54   #1160
BHPian

Guys,

Thinking of ordering this >

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-2...999.288.L8K9WU

Can someone please check if it is good enough and worth ?
The main reason for choosing this is 1250 votes, and just 7 are 1star, all the rest are 4 or 5 stars (moreover about 2000+ orders ) !
Old 5th September 2016, 15:17   #1161
BHPian

I've been using the Novatek GT300 Dashcam for some time now. Its a fairly good unit for the price its available at.

Here's a footage of Bangalore to Coorg roadtrip done last month.

Hope its useful.
nerd1200 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2016, 15:30   #1162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd1200 View Post
I've been using the Novatek GT300 Dashcam for some time now.

Hope its useful.
Dude, where did you purchased this from ? A link maybe ? And price ?
Old 6th September 2016, 17:39   #1163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
Dude, where did you purchased this from ? A link maybe ? And price ?
I purchased it from Aliexpress. The delivery was free, although it took about 3 weeks to reach me.

It costed me around 1200 bucks if I recall correctly. The same product is available with multiple sellers at different prices. Please read the user reviews before purchasing the item.
Old 6th September 2016, 19:03   #1164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here's a footage of Bangalore to Coorg roadtrip done last month.
Good video quality.

Man, that Alto at 3:40 was a near-miss for you, the oncoming vehicle as well as the guy in front of you!
Old 6th September 2016, 20:04   #1165
BHPian

Quote:
It costed me around 1200 bucks if I recall correctly. The same product is available with multiple sellers at different prices. Please read the user reviews before purchasing the item.
Thanks man, I have ordered this too - but from a different seller (It has 7600+ orders, 4138 ratings ) - with the discount coupons and all, it costed me about 1600rs with 32GB card.

Agonising wait for one month starts ....

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-W...08.0.56.JP2gSE

Last edited by ptaneja : 6th September 2016 at 20:14.
Old 6th September 2016, 22:29   #1166
BHPian

Quote:
I've been using the Novatek GT300 Dashcam for some time now. Its a fairly good unit for the price its available at.
Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Good video quality.
I had a similar unit from Gearbest. Decent quality video until you paused to take a screen-grab. Most of the the times, license plates were not visible even a few feet away, and videos would a bit out of focus when the cam became hot. It could be an issue with my unit, and who knows, you might have a better experience than I.

Gearbest offered a redund/replacement. I opted for a refund and picked up a mini 0826. Got it delivered last week, so still in the process of testing it.
Old 7th September 2016, 10:43   #1167
BHPian

On my recent return trip from Pondicherry to Bangalore, met with a small accident in Ranipet, Tamil Nadu, when a bike suddenly crossed my path, without any signal. My scorpio hit his bike, he fell down, a crowd gathered and fortunately nothing major damage happened to the bike rider, except bruises on his hands/legs. And minor damage to the bike.

My experience shared on the thread:

I have to say that I was majorly saved from the aftermath of the incident, mainly from Dashcam recording. It clearly showed the person crossing the road onto my path, without any signal or indication. I was able to show it to the police and they were agreeing to my claim and there were no dispute from the bike rider and his friends too. In this case, even before I disclosed me having the Dashcam, the majority of the crowd started telling to the police that it was the fault of the bike rider, causing this accident. I disclosed about my dashcam only to the policeman, when he got in my car, while going to the police station after the accident.

For benefit of others, I am using 2 SJCAM SJ4000 Wifi Camera in My scorpio, one at the front and one at the back. For the last one year I am using the camera in my Scorpio without any need to show the video it records to anyone. My Dashcam purchase and usage experience are available in this thread itself, one such post:

My suggestion to the Dashcam users and potential buyers: Please ensure that the dashcam you are using has capability to record the footage at the crucial time of an accident and chance of abrupt power cut to the cam. The Cam need to save the current recording to the memory and do a graceful shutdown. It shouldn't lose/corrupt the last recording video. Also we need to have some mechanism to show the video to others, either through a phone (wifi transfer) or via screen on Dashcam. For doing this your Dashcam may need to have its own battery. And finally the retrieving of footage and showing to others need to be practiced to ensure that you will be able to do it when requires.

Last edited by narayanang76 : 7th September 2016 at 10:47.
narayanang76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 20:16   #1168
Senior - BHPian

Hi I want buy a decent dash cam and my budget is in the range of $50-80 or so. I am considering the YI dash cam and also the SJCAM series since they can double up as an actioncam also. Can anyone please guide me ?
Old 10th September 2016, 08:18   #1169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
My suggestion to the Dashcam users and potential buyers: Please ensure that the dashcam you are using has capability to record the footage at the crucial time of an accident and chance of abrupt power cut to the cam. The Cam need to save the current recording to the memory and do a graceful shutdown. It shouldn't lose/corrupt the last recording video. Also we need to have some mechanism to show the video to others, either through a phone (wifi transfer) or via screen on Dashcam. For doing this your Dashcam may need to have its own battery. And finally the retrieving of footage and showing to others need to be practiced to ensure that you will be able to do it when requires.
Yes.

The Garmin Dash Cam 35 as i have pointed out in #1144 in this thread, has an event recording facility. Any jerks or events which the camera feels maybe an event are saved for 30 sec before and after. It has a battery which lasts 30 mins after power is cut off.

These videos are available in a saved folder and not overwritten. All other videos are in an unsaved folder and are overwritten based on your memory capacity.

Last edited by nkghai : 10th September 2016 at 08:22.
Old 13th September 2016, 14:33   #1170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
Thanks man, I have ordered this too - but from a different seller (It has 7600+ orders, 4138 ratings ) - with the discount coupons and all, it costed me about 1600rs with 32GB card.

Agonising wait for one month starts ....

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-W...08.0.56.JP2gSE

Did you order with normal shipping or with DHL ? Would it get struck in customs if ordered in normal post ?

I can see the same in ebay India now, with manufacturer Warranty. Guess this is same.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Car-DVR-Dash-...AAAOSw9NdXwuPE

Last edited by shamanth : 13th September 2016 at 15:00.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks