Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2018, 20:49   #2536
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post

Its been running LIVE from 10am today, at 7pm (8 hours down), the battery on the Jio Fi (on built in battery) and Powerbank are still 50%. I am assuming a total of 16+ hours of power without connecting anything to the car battery. I have ordered a Syska 20000 mAh power bank with dual output that can power the JioFi and D3D same time. I can charge the power bank whenever I drive (from the 12 volt socket in the boot) or just swap between PNY and Syska charged from home
Why not hardwire a couple of USB sockets, so that you can use both of them off car's battery?
suku_patel_22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 07:59   #2537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suku_patel_22 View Post
Why not hardwire a couple of USB sockets, so that you can use both of them off car's battery?
My first target is to avoid touching anything of the car battery. I am not sure what kind of power draining can happen since this is a 24/7 camera with live access.

PNY power bank died after 12 hours. Whereas the Jio Fi with built in battery was still showing 1 point left after 20 hours. So I need to figure out what is the power requirement of D3D for 24 hours.

Another issue is the resetting of cam required after the power is drained. Not sure if I am doing it all wrong So far not heard of anyone using a similar cam in a car.
Old 7th December 2018, 08:59   #2538
Senior - BHPian

I have got a transcend DP550 through a friend traveling to India. Rear camera recording occupies equal space of the card thereby cuts the duration of front camera recording availability into half. Is there a way I could just cut down the storage time for the rear camera alone..say for 30 mins followed by loop recording.
Old 8th December 2018, 22:28   #2539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
I have ordered "70mai dash cam" from aliexpress today to be used as rear dash cam. I am using Viofo A119 in the front.
Today I have installed 70mai as my rear dashcam in my TUV3OO. Quality seems to be fine for a rear dashcam.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_20181208_150139.jpg
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_20181208_150420.jpg

Sample photographs:

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img181208163503000011.jpg
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img181208163513000012.jpg

Sample video:

Last edited by airbus : 8th December 2018 at 22:38. Reason: Minor edit.
airbus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 07:06   #2540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
I am looking for user reviews of Viofo A129 Duo. Any first hand account would really be helpful. Couple of my friends are considering this camera.
Reviews are available in plenty on youtube. TBHPian Harsh has done a very commendable job bringing out all the nuances of this dashcam. I am using it and am quite impressed with it. I have the GPS version and have hardwired it. Be sure to get the CPL filter too if you are going to buy the A129.
anilagdr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 22:42   #2541
BHPian

Re: G1W-H bracket holder?

Is there a quick way of getting G1W-H holder bracket? I tried in the local car accessories shop in and around Mangalore and couldn't find one compatible with G1W-H.

Every seller I see on amazon ships it from china and it takes minimum of 3 weeks. The current holder disintegrated and in need of one at the earliest.

Please advise!
Old 20th December 2018, 12:52   #2542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
This post is a mix of my Dash Cam and a newly experimenting Security Cam which I found worth sharing here.....D3D, HD cam from Amazon (Rs.3000). Kept on the tray behind the back seat headrest......
10 days of usage, I already managed to damage the Micro USB socket (B type) and looking for a socket replacement either by DIY if I get the part or through some electronic repair shop nearby. Any pointers would be really helpful. Checking the price online, the socket costs less than Rs.20, but its not worth buying online with added shipping cost.

Any members in Bangalore could suggest a reliable electronics guy who can solder a socket for me ? I already removed the damaged part with my solder
Pics of the board below and the empty slot where socket is removed ! I have gone to SP Road back in 2006 and 2007 for multiple things, but right now its not worth the time and pain !!
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_3268.jpg

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_3269.jpg
Old 23rd December 2018, 16:47   #2543
BHPian

My Viofo A119 V2 which I bought from aliexpress.com earlier this year (April 2018) conked.
The screen froze with pixellation ribbon on the left side of the screen. This happened last week and yesterday I got a chance to check online for help and did troubleshooting.
The steps performed were as below

1. Reset using the reset button - No effect
2. Update firmware by downloading the latest firmware from Viofo website - No effect
3. Open the DVR and reseat the cable between camera and motherboard - No effect

Tried all the above steps multiple times but to no avail. Mostly everyone has reported the issue to be resolved after step 3, but not in my case . I have asked for the seller if they have any replacement policy within 1 year, but no positive response yet. So finally I've lost hope and have decided to trash it. Since already the windshield has the holder for VIOFO, I am still thinking whether to buy the same model or go for a reputed brand.
Old 27th December 2018, 13:02   #2544
Distinguished - BHPian

Received my YI smart dash camera today. It took about 18 days to arrive through Indiapost and thankfully without any customs. The seller had marked it as gift (which I don't think really helps or even matters) and had marked it as a USD18 item.

Ordered the cam with an extra suction mount so that I can use the cam on both cars. Here's it:

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_6766.jpg

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_6767.jpg

Last edited by saket77 : 27th December 2018 at 13:04.
saket77 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 22:55   #2545
BHPian

Can anyone tell me where to buy a fuse tap locally in gurgaon for hardwiring my dashcam ? Aliexpress is too slow.
Attached Thumbnails
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-20190103_225342.jpg  

Old 7th January 2019, 12:29   #2546
Team-BHP Support

Anyone here facing an issue with the Transcend DP220? I've observed this since yesterday: camera starts recording then randomly the Menu opens up and the selection toggles between the Menu options and stops somewhere. I have to manually press the "Back" button to go the camera again and it starts recording again (starts from 00:00).

The unit has been in the sun continuously for a few days so anything to do with the heat?
Old 7th January 2019, 13:22   #2547
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Anyone here facing an issue with the Transcend DP220? I've observed this since yesterday: camera starts recording then randomly the Menu opens up and the selection toggles between the Menu options and stops somewhere. I have to manually press the "Back" button to go the camera again and it starts recording again (starts from 00:00).

The unit has been in the sun continuously for a few days so anything to do with the heat?
Never ever happened with my DP200 till now. I don't recollect that it ever froze or behaved this way and needless to say (again) that some of my usage has been under extreme conditions last year when outside temperatures were 45 Degrees and car parked in open.

Why don't you try the Hard Reset option once to see if things get back to normal?
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 13:34   #2548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
...some of my usage has been under extreme conditions last year when outside temperatures were 45 Degrees and car parked in open.
DP 220 has an inbuilt battery whereas DP 200 is capacitor based. So, it could very well be the heat that's causing the trouble here.
Quote:
Why don't you try the Hard Reset option once to see if things get back to normal?
Along with that, do check for signs of bloated / leaked battery.

Edit: If battery is fine, a firmware update too could solve the issue.

Last edited by dailydriver : 7th January 2019 at 14:00.
dailydriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 13:41   #2549
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
DP 220 has an inbuilt battery whereas DP 200 is capacitor based.
Aware of that DD. I am trying to say Transcend series haven't troubled me when it comes to extreme usage. So either I am lucky or the model is (battery type) .

Either way, I am sure manufacturers like them when designing equipment like a Dashcam do keep in mind the typical use cases (Heat/cold/Prolonged usage etc) and should have factored the effects and mitigation there-by.

The oldest Dashcam dates back to 2011, Bought from dx.com, and used for 5 years. It always threw tantrums quite regularly, by not responding and a safety pin helped each time to reset that.

What libranof1987 is facing is some peculiar and unheard of with 220 Series. Also, 220 series is priced sanely compared to 200 and most who have purchased in the recent past have picked the 220 or 520 over 200 for the additional features they get out of these and I am yet to come across such occurrences with them.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 15:58   #2550
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post

Another good option is the Aukey 1080p available for 9k.
Bought Aukey DR02 from USA (around 33usd after deals) and Kingston Canvas Go microsd which is supposed to be made for dashcams. Installed it myself over the weekend. The only problem is that the wire fixing small adhesive pads are useless and do not even stick on plastic so the installation is quite messy since the wire is not tethered. Fortunately the main adhesive pad for the dashcam is 3M which has attached properly to the windshield but the other pads are totally useless. I hope the main 3M pad is good enough, as my car is parked in the scorching sun daily and there's no other way to mount this dashcam.

Last edited by mxh : 7th January 2019 at 16:00.
mxh is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed