Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2019, 17:43   #2551
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
Bought Aukey DR02 from USA (around 33usd after deals)
That's one sweet deal, congratulations!

The cable organisers supplied in the box are useless. They are typical do din ka sultans. You can either purchase a separate 3M two sided tape (available for ₹80 or so in More or such supermarkets) and use them with the available organisers or purchase something like this or this.

As regards the effect of heat, had this been any other cam, I would have suggested parking the car facing the direction away from sun rays. This being a dual setup, I have no solutions whatsoever. Maybe, parking parallel to the sun could help .

If possible, crack the window a little while parking.
dailydriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 18:38   #2552
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
That's one sweet deal, congratulations!

The cable organisers supplied in the box are useless. They are typical do din ka sultans. You can either purchase a separate 3M two sided tape (available for ₹80 or so in More or such supermarkets) and use them with the available organisers or purchase something like this or this.

As regards the effect of heat, had this been any other cam, I would have suggested parking the car facing the direction away from sun rays. This being a dual setup, I have no solutions whatsoever. Maybe, parking parallel to the sun could help .

If possible, crack the window a little while parking.
Thank you for the great ideas. I think the 3m two sided tape would be the way to go. I hope it sticks on the honda dashboard though as the one Aukey gave didn't even remotely stick. Cracking the window in office premises might be ok I guess but I'm still not comfortable with that as it might invite someone to steal the dashcam and damage the window in the process which would be more expensive than the dashcam itself lol. Btw DR02 is a single dashcam , it just differs in shape and is a little less prominent than DR01.
mxh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 20:40   #2553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess but I'm still not comfortable with that as it might invite someone to steal the dashcam and damage the window in the process which would be more expensive than the dashcam itself lol
Legitimate concerns, I agree.

As you are aware, the 3M tapes come in many variants. The one I am currently using and referring to here is a plain jane one costing 80 bucks. It has been doing duty in my car for the last three years when I picked it up to (re) stick an idol on the dashboard. Since then, it has helped me in a variety of car related and household applications; and the idol has remained in place even after seeing lots and lots of direct and harsh sunlight. The tape would hopefully remain glued to your Honda's dash too. Just make sure you clean the surface properly before using it.

But then, why would you need cable organisers when you can hide almost 95% of the wire under the headliner, plastic trims of A pillar and under the dash (using a zip tie here, if needed)? Do watch some videos on YouTube about this.

This (Review: Aukey DR02 1080p Dash Cam) too can be of help.

(Cracking the windows a little in an inconspicuous manner would be possible if you have installed door visors. But that is a discussion for a different thread.)
Quote:
DR02 is a single dashcam , it just differs in shape and is a little less prominent than DR01
My bad. I mistook it for DR02D.

Last edited by dailydriver : 7th January 2019 at 20:52.
dailydriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 19:47   #2554
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Why don't you try the Hard Reset option once to see if things get back to normal?
Did the reset after your post and used the cam today on my daily commute. The issue didn't reoccur. I'm surprised: after the reset, the dashcam had the same settings as before (I had changed some default settings). Are settings retained?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
If battery is fine, a firmware update too could solve the issue.
Transcend hasn't issued a firmware update for the DP220 in a couple of years now; it is the same version number for a while now.

Quote:
I'm still not comfortable with that as it might invite someone to steal the dashcam and damage the window in the process which would be more expensive than the dashcam itself lol.
When I had first got the dashcam, I considered unclamping it from the windshield and keeping it in the glovebox. Eventually, it became too much work and I've let it be.

Fun fact: While in the US, I was warned of instances of car-breaking to steal the GPS units mounted on the windshield.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 20:12   #2555
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I'm surprised: after the reset, the dashcam had the same settings as before (I had changed some default settings). Are settings retained?
I haven't reset my DP200 till date so I certainly won't know. However I will try it tomorrow morning and update. I have no significant clips to lose anyway.
Old 11th January 2019, 10:05   #2556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
Can anyone tell me where to buy a fuse tap locally in gurgaon for hardwiring my dashcam ? Aliexpress is too slow.
I checked in Khan market and everywhere it's not available. Which one do you need I ordered a few extra 'mini' fuse taps I spare one for you. I'm yet to get my camera hardwired planning to do it over the weekend.
Old 11th January 2019, 10:14   #2557
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I haven't reset my DP200 till date so I certainly won't know. However I will try it tomorrow morning and update. I have no significant clips to lose anyway.
Three hours in the sun yesterday and the problem repeated itself. Which is funny because the car/dashcam has been used extensively over the last two years in harsh sunlight and there's never been a problem.

It's mostly just me in the car; next time I have a co-passenger, I'll try to get a video of the problem.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 10:23   #2558
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Three hours in the sun yesterday and the problem repeated itself. Which is funny because the car/dashcam has been used extensively over the last two years in harsh sunlight and there's never been a problem.
Do you keep the screen always on? I have set it to turn off after 3 minutes. So the screen usage is also has been minimal.

Like Dailydriver mentioned, it could be the built-in battery at play?

May be you can get it checked at a service center on the health of the battery itself and if inflated, replace it.

The only other way I see to mitigate this is to remove the camera when parked under direct sunlight.

Adding to this - Exactly when the issue recurs, can you do a reset and see if issue resolves? This will also help isolate the battery in that case because if the battery has to cause issues due to sunlight, a reset of the device will still not solve it.

Last edited by paragsachania : 11th January 2019 at 10:29.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 13:00   #2559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryendu87 View Post
Was not able to hard-wire due to lack of compatible fuse. If you have fuse and kit available, these guys can do the panel removal and wiring stuff.
Can you share the pics please? I want to install a dashcam in my Honda City.
Old 13th January 2019, 11:55   #2560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Can you share the pics please? I want to install a dashcam in my Honda City.
Sorry about the delayed reply. I have used to USB port for now and the wire runs behind glove box, through left A pillar and comes out from the roof lining. Few pics for reference.

Power from front USB port:
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_20190113_110112.jpg

Wiring tucked behind glovebox:
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_20190113_110121.jpg

Wire coming out of roof-liner:
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_20190113_110150.jpg

View from passenger window:
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_20190113_110229.jpg

View from Driver seat(Dashcam hides neatly behind IRVM without obstructing driver view):
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_20190113_110258.jpg
Suryendu87 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2019, 13:00   #2561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryendu87 View Post
I have used to USB port for now and the wire runs behind glove box, through left A pillar and comes out from the roof lining. Few pics for reference.
Thank you for the pics.

These are more than enough to get me going.
mukeshgoel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2019, 09:40   #2562
Distinguished - BHPian

My Viofo A119S V2 came from Aliexpress around March or April of 2018. It came with a weak internal battery so it couldn't keep its clock (for the timestamp) running when switched off. I had detailed here how I'd connected it to a high Amp-rated charger for 4-5 hours in order to charge the internal battery. It worked.

Now, the problem is back again. I've tried the same fix for 2 - 3 hours this time and it won't go away. I'll probably need to buy the battery and perform surgery on the dashcam to replace it. Has anyone tried this out?
Old 14th January 2019, 10:47   #2563
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Now, the problem is back again. I've tried the same fix for 2 - 3 hours this time and it won't go away.
Check this link:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...problem.26548/

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I'll probably need to buy the battery and perform surgery on the dashcam to replace it. Has anyone tried this out?
This video should be helpful for the surgery.

a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2019, 20:13   #2564
BHPian

I got my Blueskysea B1W WiFi Mini Dash Cam with 64GB TF Card a couple of weeks back via Amazon.in. The orders got mixed up, the package was shipped to Bihar and eventually made it to Bangalore. I have mounted this using the Rearview Mirror Bracket which I purchased separately.

I had 2 close calls in the latter part of last year and I wanted a dash camera to be on the safer side.

It is very discreet and the images and video are good enough for the price paid. As of now I have connected this to the cigarette lighter socket and the images/video can be viewed through the phone app. I am happy with the product as of now. Night time images are decent.

Could someone please tell me what role does a hardwire kit play here?
jusgetgoing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2019, 21:16   #2565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusgetgoing View Post
I got my Blueskysea B1W WiFi Mini Dash Cam...what role does a hardwire kit play here?
For details on 'how' to hardwire, have a look at the following thread.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...r-dashcam.html (DIY: Hardwiring your Dashcam)

As for the 'why' of hardwiring, specially in case of Blueskysea B1W, the answer is two dimensional.

One, to avoid using the external charger port and thereby make the camera's connection still more inconspicuous.

Two, to act as your eyes and ears even when the car is parked. Your camera, when hardwired, draws power from the battery directly (through fuse tapping) and is ready to record (standby mode, basically) any untoward occurances even without the engine running. Any external force applied on the car triggers off a motion sensor and turns on the camera, which records and saves the footage for the next 30 (?) seconds.

But as the recording starts after the incident/accident, it is debatable whether the subsequent recording would really be of any use.

If you are planning to purchase a hardwiring kit, choose one which has a fuse tap that is compatible with your car's requirements and also comes with the battery charge monitoring and cut off function built in.

Last edited by dailydriver : 14th January 2019 at 21:24.
dailydriver is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks