Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2020, 10:13   #3301
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Is it the same tape that you’re using in the picture posted? Asking because this tape is grey in colour and the one you’ve posted with which the Dashcam is stuck is creamish yellow.

Regards.
No. The 3M tape couldn't even hold for few mins. That's why disposed it. The tape visible in the pic was purchased from a nearby disposables supplies store. This one can hold for about half an hour successfully.
Old 14th December 2020, 10:28   #3302
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2TR-FE View Post
No. The 3M tape couldn't even hold for few mins. That's why disposed it. The tape visible in the pic was purchased from a nearby disposables supplies store. This one can hold for about half an hour successfully.
Quite strange. One pointer though: although you might have been doing it correctly but still; cutting that 3M tape needs very sharp pair of scissors. If you cut it with blunt scissors, the tape gets stretched and deforms and it’s adhesion is gone.
If you’re taking care of this, then I’m really not sure where is the problem then.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 10:30   #3303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I got it from amazon. Here’s the link: https://www.amazon.in/Scotch-Double-.../dp/B00N1U9AJS.
I have this.

But the current roll isn't as good as the previously purchased one, in terms of its sticking power. I had used this for a while and have had the dash cam dangling on its wire multiple times, while parked in the sun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2TR-FE View Post
I think I need to check out the expensive versions of 3M double sided tape. But their price is sky-high for just a tape.
This is what you would need.

It is specifically designed for various car related applications and is therefore more useful and durable.

Alternatively, you can use any other iterations of what is known as VHB double sided tapes.
dailydriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 10:37   #3304
Distinguished - BHPian

Try if you get 3M VHB tape 5952 variant. There are mostly fakes in the ECommerce portals. The one on amazon is definitely fake('clickforsign' listing) since I purchased it. Could not return it since the listing is marked as non-returnable. I did not notice this during purchase. Deliberately done since the seller know that he is selling fake and if marked returnable almost everyone would return it. However, I posted a review calling it as fake
sagarpadaki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 10:59   #3305
BHPian

Quote:
Quite strange.
If you’re taking care of this, then I’m really not sure where is the problem then.

Regards.
I was using a sharp set of scissors. The problem seems to be with the declining levels of QC at 3M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post

Alternatively, you can use any other iterations of what is known as VHB double sided tapes.
Thanks for the link. Will order one soon.
I was eyeing this product before your post.

http://https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00004Z4A8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_UpV1FbJ79CD1Y

Would be definitely better on pocket if the cheaper one fulfills my requirement.
2TR-FE is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 11:14   #3306
Senior - BHPian

Faced a problem with my viofo A119s a few days back.

The camera had stopped recording, the display was always on, the buttons were non functional and there were small rectangles with 'x' in them on the bottom left corner of the display.

Looked up online and this seemed to be a common problem. Upgrading to the latest firmware was recommended.

So I took out the camera from the car, connected it to a power socket using a 5v 1a usb charger, and applied the latest firmware (details here : https://support.viofo.com/support/so...amera-firmware)

The camera started working as intended after the firmware update.
blackasta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 18:36   #3307
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Same here. I have given up. What I am yet to explore is installing earlier version via APK route. Let me try that today, else will have to get a new one.
I downloaded the older version of the app (5.7) from apkpure website and now i can connect to the device. Later in the playstore I also turned off Auto-update for this app.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-screenshot_20201214183353_chrome.jpg
Old 14th December 2020, 18:41   #3308
BHPian

This is my second post on Ding-Ding Pai (DDPAI) MOLA N3!

It was installed just 24 hrs back. it was connected to my CL point and was 'on' the whole night.

Some of the critical observations are as follows:

1. The dashcam gets into parking mode after 15 mins of no movement (configurable). While it is in 'parking mode' it still records in a compressed mode. 15 mins of recording take around 30 mb.
2. If any movement is sensed by its G-Sensor, it flips back to normal recording, but the lag is a couple of seconds. So if someone hits the car and runs off quickly, it will not be able to record that in detail
3. Normal recording takes around 90 MB for every one minute. So, my 64 GB will accommodate around 9.5 hours in 2K resolution, while 1080P will record for 14 to 15 hrs.
4. Three video quality setting are there: 2K, 1440P and 1080P
5. Still shot taken are good in quality and you can read any number plate, even the other vehicle is moving
6. Connecting to the device from your mobile phone using the DDPAI app is okay, but you need to turn off your mobile data first (downside)
7. The video that you get from the DDPAI only contains time-stamp (configurable: on or off) and does not have the speed or other details imprinted (there were few discussions on this)
8. Records sound with good clarity (configurable: Yes/No)
9. Shows route map on Google Maps, but it does not fetch the details appropriately (need more R&D)
10. If the device is plugged out from the power, it stops immediately. The internal battery does not keep it running

Overall - Good Quality video and still images. In the preview mode, it shows speed, direction, altitude and few other details which are very informative!
basuk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 22:12   #3309
BHPian

On my last trip to North Bengal from Kolkata I had purchased the non-GPS version of the newly launched DDPAI Mola N3 Dashcam from Amazon.

It has f/1.8 aperture as against the f/2.2 in lower models which meant it would allow more light resulting in brighter images.

However the main reason why I bought this dashcam is due to its detachable base mount that has a small degree swivel action which allowed me to stick it on my dash top rather than on windshield since I have sun film on the inside of my Innova Crysta.

The cam can be easily detached from the dash glued base to operate the memory card. It has in built wifi and supports upto 128 GB micro sd card. I did not hard wire the cam rather using the regular 12 volt socket, just some intelligent yet not so clean routing of the long power cord over dash and then routing under the 7D floor mat is in place.

However I am using it in 1080p mode instead of its maximum resolution of 1600p owing to the extent of memory usage. Normally a 64 GB card can record in 1080p for a little over 11.5 hours.

The camera records in continuous loop mode of 1 minute individual clips which can be seamlessly joined using Windows Video Editor very easily. If the camera runs out of space on the storage then the older ones are overwritten automatically one at a time.

Here are a few day and night samples. I am particularly not happy with the performance in lower light but daytime image is crisp. We need to make sure the windshield is clean all the time for better captures. Also I had forgotten to remove the transparent plastic transparent cover from over the lens, expect some minor improvements without it.

Another observation is that reading the number plate of the car at front works better when both me and the one in front are not speeding. Probably making the resolution 1600p can improve this.

Day time picture samples
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-vlcsnap2020120516h24m54s241.png

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-day-sample-sunrise.png

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-pahar-horizon.png

Low light picture samples
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-night.png

A timelapse of moving clouds created by fast forwarding clips recorded from this dashcam

Here is the link (Autumn Drive in an Innova Crysta to Dooars, Kolakham, Kalimpong & Darjeeling) to the my travelogue which has many more photos and videos from this dash camera.

EDIT: G sensitivity can be adjusted to be toned down so that it captures emergency photos and videos only when the car bumps into something bad otherwise every small vibration would trigger an emergency recording. The mobile app allows connecting through the default wifi if the dashcam and configuring all its settings including live view feed of the cam with minimal delay and also downloading content. However I prefer to take out the memory chip and copy content directly.

Since I did not buy the GPS version, the speed continues to show 0 KM/hr even when i motion and this cannot be selectively turned off. This option including camera brand name display is glued to the date time display setting. The maximum resolution of the camera is 1600p and the same can also be reduced from the mobile app.

The camera once mounted sits upside down but this does not cause problem with the recording as it is still upright, basically the camera detects the correct orientation and adjusts. The Amazon seller offered excellent and prompt support in this regard over whatsapp and was very knowledgeable.

The camera mounted upside down with the latched base on the dash top
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-06-ranichera.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 22nd December 2020 at 06:45. Reason: As requested
haisaikat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 02:56   #3310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
No not car battery. Unless you hard-wire it specifically to a fuse that is "always-ON" - it will not use car battery. It has a small built-in Li-Ion battery. It will use only that. Recording starts only when a g-shock is sensed. Otherwise the camera is in sleep mode for quick start. Battery life is quite good. Lasts for more than a week for me without car start.
I am planning to buy 70mai A800 for my car(just booked). Ordering it in advance since aliexpress is banned in India now and it might take a while for it to be delivered from unknown sources. I know it comes with 500 mAh battery and as per the site from where I am buying. It also says hardwiring is necessary for it to be used for 24H parking monitoring and confirmed by the support team I spoke with.
If I hard-wire it and not use the car for a month, will it drain the battery? I researched a lot and what I found was it will only record when the g-sensor senses something, it will not be recording all the time. The hard-wiring kit is not available on the portal currently and has to be bought separately. Installing this and hard-wiring it will void the warranty of a vehicle?
Old 20th December 2020, 05:57   #3311
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainali View Post
Installing this and hard-wiring it will void the warranty of a vehicle?
If you do the installation as well as hardwiring correctly - i.e. without cutting any wiring, or visual components like trim plastics etc - no issues for any warranties. Modular and removable fuse taps is the best way to implement reversible electronic mods in a car. Use a good fuse tap to connect +12v supply of your hardwire kit and you'll be just fine on the warranties front.
Old 23rd December 2020, 00:22   #3312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
If you do the installation as well as hardwiring correctly - i.e. without cutting any wiring, or visual components like trim plastics etc - no issues for any warranties. Modular and removable fuse taps is the best way to implement reversible electronic mods in a car. Use a good fuse tap to connect +12v supply of your hardwire kit and you'll be just fine on the warranties front.
The hard-wire kit from manufacturer is out of stock, I wanted everything to be handy whenever I get the car. Any other hard-wire kit will protect the car from dying? I have limited knowledge here. I have placed the order based on the reviews online for the Dashcam and I am going to get the delivery tomorrow (23-12-2020). The hard-wiring kit is not part of the delivery.

Will a local car-decor shop be able to hard wire it while protecting the battery from draining out along with not voiding the warranty on a brand new car?
Old 23rd December 2020, 22:06   #3313

Quote:
The hard-wire kit from manufacturer is out of stock, I wanted everything to be handy whenever I get the car.
For 70mai it's available in Amazon. One day before it was out of stock
Old 24th December 2020, 23:55   #3314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder70 View Post
For 70mai it's available in Amazon. One day before it was out of stock
Yeah, it was there before, but it is out of stock now. I check amazon everyday hoping it will be available again. With so many ban with regards to chinese import and aliexpress not working anymore I am not sure if it will be back in stock again.
Old 25th December 2020, 00:32   #3315
BHPian

Quote:
With so many ban with regards to chinese import and aliexpress not working anymore I am not sure if it will be back in stock again.
AliExpress deliveries are working just fine. I had ordered led strip lights with wifi and music beat etc just a few days prior to the ban. It reached me via india post about two weeks back.
diyguy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks