Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2018, 10:44   #2461
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Please suggest me a good Dashcam brand and model ? My budget is within 13K. Thank you.
Old 11th October 2018, 11:20   #2462
BHPian

Hello Guys,

I have SJ7 Star and use it as Helmet mount for bike rides. But now a 8 day family trip coming up this month, want to use it as Car Dashcam also.

Can you let me know what all accessories I need to fix it as Dashcam. Also I am concerned with Dashboard reflection in the videos, I guess there is some additional accessory i need to fix for that. Any help welcome. I wish to order accessory today or so.

KK
Old 11th October 2018, 12:06   #2463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshanjathanna View Post
Please suggest me a good Dashcam brand and model ? My budget is within 13K.
At this point in time, with the offers available on amazon.in, I would easily recommend the Transcend Drive Pro 200. Has a bundled memory card and uses a super capacitor. Don't own one but have found it good in my search for a reasonably priced dashcam.

Link

There are two options, one with a suction mount, priced below 10k and the other with an adhesive mount, costing 13k+. Choose the one you are comfortable with.

Another good option is the Aukey 1080p available for 9k.
dailydriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 12:15   #2464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
At this point in time, with the offers available on amazon.in, I would easily recommend the Transcend Drive Pro 200. Has a bundled memory card and uses a super capacitor. Don't own one but have found it good in my search for a reasonably priced dashcam.
Do you know of a good one with GPS which also shows the speed when recording the video?
Old 11th October 2018, 12:18   #2465
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Do you know of a good one with GPS which also shows the speed when recording the video?
Transcend DP220 does that; I've been using one for a year and half.
libranof1987 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 12:35   #2466
BHPian

Quote:

Link

There are two options, one with a suction mount, priced below 10k and the other with an adhesive mount, costing 13k+. Choose the one you are comfortable with.

Another good option is the Aukey 1080p available for 9k.
Thank you , Does this requires separate wiring or use the mobile charger socket ?
roshanjathanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 14:33   #2467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you , Does this requires separate wiring or use the mobile charger socket ?
The mobile charger socket or a USB charger port will suffice. You can hardwire it if you so desire, but it isn't compulsory. In case you prefer to hardwire it, do so using a fuse tap from a point which has power supply only when the ignition is on.

Be warned though that I am just a keyboard warrior with no first hand experience of using a dashcam. But I have gone through this and many similar threads multiple times and have picked up some gyan from fellow enthusiasts, which incidentally will be put to use in a few days from now .
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 14:54   #2468
BHPian

Quote:
At this point in time, with the offers available on amazon.in, I
With the offers on Amazon as DailyDriver mentioned, i am considering getting a Transcend. The question is Drive Pro 230 or the Drive Pro 200.
What i can see is the Drive Pro 200 has got 7 glass lens and 160degree field of view.
While the Drive Pro 230 does not mention about the glass lens but does mention Sony Sensor. A 130degree field of view and some extra features which may not be of use here in India.

Drive Pro 230 is Rs 11,975/-
Drive Pro 200 is Rs 12,800/- and Rs 10,611/-

Any inputs would help before the sales ends.
yajaman99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 15:43   #2469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yajaman99 View Post
With the offers on Amazon as DailyDriver mentioned, i am considering getting a Transcend. The question is Drive Pro 230 or the Drive Pro 200.
What i can see is the Drive Pro 200 has got 7 glass lens and 160degree field of view.
While the Drive Pro 230 does not mention about the glass lens but does mention Sony Sensor. A 130degree field of view and some extra features which may not be of use here in India.

Drive Pro 200 is Rs 12,800/- and Rs 10,611/-

Any inputs would help before the sales ends.
160 degree is better here compare to 130 degree field of view.
roshanjathanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 16:00   #2470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yajaman99 View Post
Drive Pro 200 is Rs 12,800/- and Rs 10,611/
As you rightly said, features like LDWS and FCWS are unlikely to be of much use in our conditions. GPS is a personal choice. However, what differentiates the 200 from 230 is the presence of a super capacitor - less prone to heat induced damage. While it is true that instances of a dashcam battery blasting aren't many, there indeed have been occasions where dashcams had to be retired because of bloated batteries. Plus, particular to DP 200, we have D Bhpian Paragsachania's personal experience wherein he had used the dashcam continuously for 27 hours without any problems. That is enough proof for me of the viability of super capacitors.

An aesthetic issue that might concern some is the silver accent around the lenses in DP 200 which makes the cam a bit conspicuous from outside.

Whatever you choose, you can gain a total discount of nearly 2k plus on amazon (SBI card+Bonus).

PS: DP 200 (TS16GDP200) retails at 13,800 and not as mentioned.
Quote:
160 degree is better here compare to 130 degree field of view.
This again is a matter of personal preference. The 160° view may appear better, but reviews hint at the possibility of fisheye effect. 130° view from a dashcam placed at the (horizontal) centre of the windshield should adequately cover the road.

Last edited by dailydriver : 11th October 2018 at 16:14.
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 16:25   #2471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please suggest me a good Dashcam brand and model ? My budget is within 13K. Thank you.
I have been using a Viofo A119S for almost an year, and was quite VFM at $110 at that time (camera + gps + CPL + hardwiring kit). This is a capacitor based dashcam. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...6f464c4d1i78Tl

You can see a video sample from my cam here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...ml#post4319622 (The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread)

and a recent one here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post4465129 (Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em)

If you are open to buying from Aliexpress, you may try the A119S or the A129 duo which has 2 cameras.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/VIOF...ceBeautifyAB=0
blackasta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 09:57   #2472
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachin Rai Vaid View Post
Thanks. But Parking function is supposed to get activated when G sensor detects some disturbance with the parked vehicle and then it starts recording. Do this Xiomi 70mai English version has this function?
No, this camera does not have motion detection to turn it on. OTOH, it saves (does not overwrite on) recordings where an impact is sensed. The impact sensing intensity can be altered through the app.
SS-Traveller is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 10:37   #2473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachin Rai Vaid View Post
Thanks. But Parking function is supposed to get activated when G sensor detects some disturbance with the parked vehicle and then it starts recording. Do this Xiomi 70mai English version has this function?
Yes, Parking function gets activated when G Sensor detects some disturbance PROVIDED DVR is powered continuously.

All it does is, it will start recording and stores the videos in another folder instead of regular folder where normal videos are stored.

How does Parking function help ?
Regular folder videos are over written once memory is full. So, the recorded video will have possibility of getting overwritten
But, the folder where parking function videos are stored are NOT over written in normal mode. Hence, you will retain those videos and can transfer to your phone

PS: Storage capacity of Parking function videos : Normal videos are 25:75. So, if you have say, 64 GB Memory, 48 GB is for normal videos and 16 GB is for Parking funtion videos. After 16GB is full during Parking mode recording, those videos are also overwritten.

Last edited by gkveda : 12th October 2018 at 10:38.
gkveda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 13:18   #2474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Yes, Parking function gets activated when G Sensor detects some disturbance PROVIDED DVR is powered continuously.
DVR need not be powered continuously for parking mode to function. Most dashcams can go into sleep mode on internal battery. When the G-sensor activates, it instantly comes on and either clicks a picture or records a short clip stored in another file which is not over written. After the clip is recorded, usually short duration, like one or 2 minutes, some even record for 10 mins, the dashcam goes back to sleep mode.

Very few cars have power outlets that remain on throughout. Hard wiring it is an option chosen by the user, not a necessity. Parking mode, if available as a feature in a dashcam, works on internal battery also unless it is to be used for full time surveillance.

Last edited by SCORPION : 12th October 2018 at 13:44.
SCORPION is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th October 2018, 12:43   #2475
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys, I was looking for a car dashcam that I could on sometimes even take out & use for video logging. I came across this on flipkart "Noise Play Sports & Action Camera" and was wondering if it could be used for the car as a dashcam on a regular basis!

Please check it out, waiting for insights!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks